GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 357 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,594
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,066
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,366
Posts1,059,461
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
If Chin was so powerful, then why........? #860898
09/22/15 08:15 PM
09/22/15 08:15 PM
North Jersey
ItalianIrishMix Offline OP
Underboss
ItalianIrishMix  Offline OP
Underboss
North Jersey
Did he fail to take out Gotti after 1986's bombing?.......I know he tried 4-5 months after the Castellano hit but, I don't fully understand what happened after that?

I assume that Gigangte had a very hard time finding someone willing to sign their own death certificate but Amuso and Casso are those kind of guys......So my assumption is that he had trouble finding anyone willing to take the contract on.

Were any attempts made to hit Gigante from Gotti? Only because I assume he HAD to know who set it in motion.

I have also seen that surveillance photo of Gotti,Gravano,Amuso and, Casso from 1988 at the Hamilton House. ...That also confuses the heck out of me....."Hey John, I know I blew your best buddy to smithereens but no hard feelings, were still cool, right? Fist Bump?"

Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #860909
09/22/15 08:30 PM
09/22/15 08:30 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
Probably was a hard target with the Feds on him. They did get Eddie Lino in '90. Gotti, IMHO, was lucky that he went in in 12/90 otherwise he would be like a troll on Gangsterbb.....Gone!

Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #860911
09/22/15 08:35 PM
09/22/15 08:35 PM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
The bomb went off in Apr 86, Gotti was on trial in Aug.
and again in 89 before convicted in 92.

Most likely Chin saw the writing on the wall and said why bother.

MORGAN: Why didn't you fight him at the park if you wanted to? I'm not goin' now, I'm eatin' my snack.
CHUCKIE: Morgan, Let's go.
MORGAN: I'm serious Chuckie, I ain't goin'.
WILL: So don't go.
Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #860912
09/22/15 08:55 PM
09/22/15 08:55 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
Sonny I found this:

"On December 11, 1990, FBI agents and New York City detectives raided the Ravenite Social Club, arresting Gotti, Gravano and Frank Locascio. In the back of the police car, Gotti remarked 'I bet ya 3 to 1 I beat this'. Gotti was charged, in this new racketeering case, with five murders (Castellano and Bilotti, Robert DiBernardo, Liborio Milito and Louis Dibono), conspiracy to murder Gaetano "Corky" Vastola, loansharking, illegal gambling, obstruction of justice, bribery and tax evasion. Based on tapes from FBI bugs played at pretrial hearings the Gambino administration was denied bail."

Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #860913
09/22/15 09:01 PM
09/22/15 09:01 PM
L
LurkerGuy Offline
Button
LurkerGuy  Offline
L
Button
I wonder how "involved" the Genovese were. Casso didn't speak directly with Gigante IIRC, he took his marching orders from Corallo and Christy Tick at the time of the bombing.

Not to say they didn't want Gotti dead. They warned the Gambinos that someone would pay for Big Paul, and at least one hit attempt was picked up on wiretap and taken seriously enough for the FBI to warn Gotti.

Lino's death most likely was due to the Casso/Paradiso beef that led to the hit attempt on Casso.

Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #860915
09/22/15 09:14 PM
09/22/15 09:14 PM
T
TommyGambino Offline
Underboss
TommyGambino  Offline
T
Underboss
Gotti wasn't an easy target, always had a few heavy guys around him. FBI following him everywhere and media attention, very risky.

Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #860916
09/22/15 09:36 PM
09/22/15 09:36 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Chin did make his move and in a smart play, he had convoy to Corallo that an explosive should be used to lay blame at the Sicilians were behind it. It worked can the Gotti and the rest of the Gambino family members that were loyal to Gotti did not know who was behind it, and immediately suspected Sicily. We know that Jimmy Brown and Marino in the Gambinos had a hand in it. Gotti beefed up his security after that. Gotti only found out that the Chin was behind the hit after he was paid a visit by the FBI after they caught Bobby Manno of the Genovese family on tape a few years later in his New Jersey hangout talking about how to get Gotti. After that Gambinos, Genoveses, and Lucchese administration members had that meeting in the underground garage. On the surface it looked like hostilities had ended, but Vincent was only giving lip service after Gotti tried to control the Commission vote at that meeting. The Chin was able to kill Johns bodyguard and driver, a powerful soldier who was a good earner for Gotti, and an associate with connections in construction unions. The Lucchese were able to kill a Gotti drug dealer from the Bergin crew, and kill Eddie Lino. John did not know that Vic and Casso were after him until Casso flipped. Lino was the last one killed as Gigante knew Gotti would not be able to walk away from his last arrest. The Chin was surrounded by men he could trust as bodyguards.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #860917
09/22/15 09:39 PM
09/22/15 09:39 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
I don't recall where I read this, but Bobby Boriello, a very close confidant of Gotti was executed in '91 on orders of Casso because at that time, Boriello had been identified as a possible shooter in the Castellano hit. Anybody have anything on this?

Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #860932
09/23/15 12:06 AM
09/23/15 12:06 AM
Ted Offline
Underboss
Ted  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
Lino was the last one killed as Gigante knew Gotti would not be able to walk away from his last arrest.

Lino was killed a month before Gotti's arrest.

"I die outside; I die in jail. It don't matter to me," -John Franzese
Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #860994
09/23/15 12:09 PM
09/23/15 12:09 PM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
Gotti was the Gambino boss coincidence that he was unable even to kill Costello on the orders of Genovese!

So what would have to do ?

Declare war to the Gambinos ?

So the Genoveses-Lucchese against Gotti ?

Massino was with Gotti and imo also the Colombos ?

Come on what saved Gotti was that he was the boss and have more loyalist to was impossible a coup d'etat

Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #861007
09/23/15 01:37 PM
09/23/15 01:37 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

In addition to what others said about Gotti being difficult to hit because of his big entourages, as well as the FBI and media often around, he was just lucky. He cancelled his meeting at Failla's social club at the last minute so didn't get blown up in the car with DeCicco. And he was lucky that the feds had a bug in Casella's Restaurant in Jersey, where they overheard the plot to kill both John and Gene Gotti, and warned him in advance.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #861012
09/23/15 01:50 PM
09/23/15 01:50 PM
Texas
TonyG Offline
Capo
TonyG  Offline
Capo
Texas
I think Giacomo has it generally correct. My understanding of when things happened, and who knew what and when is outlined below.

Frank DeCicco was blown up in April, 1986. Chin, Carollo, Casso and Amuso are the masterminds behind it, as retribution for Gotti killing Castellano.

In Sept, 1986, Gaspipe Casso is shot twice by the Gambino hit team (James Hydell, Nick Guido and Robert Bering). The hit is believed to be unauthorized by Gotti. It is believed to have been ordered by Angie Ruggiero and Mickey Paradiso due to a beef over heroin money.

In the summer of 1987, Bobby Manna is recorded by the FBI discussing plans to kill John and Gene Gotti in the bathroom of Casella's restaurant in Hoboken. Bruce Mouw and George Gabriel go to Gotti's house and warn him that his life is in danger, and that it is the West Side (Chin and the Genovese). Gotti takes the information seriously, beefs up security and alters his routine.

Casso, Amuso, Gravano and Gotti meet on August 12, 1988 outside Hamilton House (great FBI surveillance poto). I am not aware of any disclosures on what was discussed. I do not recall if Gravano testified about the contents of this meeting. If anybody has info, please share.

In late 1988, an abbreviated commission meeting is held in the Washington Square Village apartments in Greenwich Village. In attendance were Gotti, Gravano, Amuso, Casso, Mangano and Gigante. During this meeting, they claimed to have no hostilities to one another. According to Gravano, Chin dismissed the Manna recordings and subsequent Gotti warning from the FBI, that they were "renegades" and acting without Chin's permission. Gravano claims that Gotti was not fooled.

They also discussed giving commission seats back to the Columbos and Bonnano's. Vic Orena was added but Massino was not due to Chin's concerns about them both being allies of Gotti.

I am not sure if Chin, Casso and Amusa made any direct attempts on Gotti after this meeting. They (Chin, Casso and Amuso) certainly went after people close to Gotti after the meeting. Eddie Lino was killed by the mafia cops in Nov, 1990. Bobby Boriello was hit in April, 1991. I think the mafia cops were also asked to hit Junior Gotti and Nicky Corozzo in 1993, but I am not sure if that is true or speculation.

Most of the info above comes from Raab's book, The 5 Families.

Best way to catch the smart ones? Get an idiot working for them.
Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #861034
09/23/15 03:57 PM
09/23/15 03:57 PM
A
azguy Offline
Underboss
azguy  Offline
A
Underboss
Ah, maybe the team of FBI agents around Gotti scared them off, heck Gotti had to be the safest guy in LCN history with an agent always within 100 yds of him

"In onore della Famiglia la Famiglia e' aperta"
Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #861043
09/23/15 06:24 PM
09/23/15 06:24 PM
Belette Offline
Made Member
Belette  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: ItalianIrishMix
Were any attempts made to hit Gigante from Gotti? Only because I assume he HAD to know who set it in motion.

There's this from Capeci:
"Three weeks ago, the FBI warned reputed Genovese boss Vincent "The Chin" Gigante of an alleged plot by Gambino boss John Gotti to assassinate him.
---
The sources said warnings of Gotti's retaliatory plot were delivered by FBI agent Damon Taylor to Gigante's brothers - Mario, a reputed crew member, and the Rev. Louis Gigante, a former city councilman now affiliated with St. Athanasius Church in the Bronx.

Taylor, the supervisor of a "Genovese squad" that has been investigating the 60-year-old Vincent Gigante for five years, declined comment.

Louis Gigante, who has denied his brothers have any organized crime ties, could not be reached for comment.

Authorities also have warned a key Gigante aide, Dominick "Baldy Dom" Canterino, that his life may be in jeopardy. Canterino was sentenced last year to 12 years in prison for extortion but is free pending appeal.

Sources said FBI agents notified Canterino's lawyer, Michael Pollack, that Gotti's hit squad had set its sights on him. Pollack declined comment.
---
Sources refused to say whether the plot against Gigante had been picked up on a bug or wiretap."

http://articles.philly.com/1989-02-27/news/26153845_1_john-gotti-louis-gigante-genovese-crime

Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #861051
09/23/15 07:27 PM
09/23/15 07:27 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
The article cites that Gotti was warned at his Brooklyn home, eh?

Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #861059
09/23/15 08:20 PM
09/23/15 08:20 PM
DiLorenzo Offline
Underboss
DiLorenzo  Offline
Underboss
Ya gotta love the feds don't ya ??

Bruce Mouw says its the law to warn somebody if there's evidence their life is danger...Okay, fine...Mr. law and order, by the book Bruce Mouw...

Where in the law does it say that you tell the intended victim who wants you killed ??

In my opinion what he did was try to get more people killed, and maybe finally get Gotti on something.

Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: Beanshooter] #861061
09/23/15 08:29 PM
09/23/15 08:29 PM
Texas
TonyG Offline
Capo
TonyG  Offline
Capo
Texas
Originally Posted By: Beanshooter
The article cites that Gotti was warned at his Brooklyn home, eh?

Yeah, they got that wrong. Gotti lived in Howard Beach, which is in Queens.

Best way to catch the smart ones? Get an idiot working for them.
Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #881924
04/24/16 05:35 PM
04/24/16 05:35 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

I see the release date for the new Chin book has been pushed back to November.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #881993
04/25/16 05:43 AM
04/25/16 05:43 AM
naples,italy

naples,italy
Nick rizzuto sr was killed with a si per rifle ?

Nobody in the Genovese family had a si per rifle?

Gotti could easy shoot during when was walking and talking of bussiness?

Last edited by furio_from_naples; 04/25/16 05:45 AM.
Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #882005
04/25/16 08:24 AM
04/25/16 08:24 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: ItalianIrishMix
Did he fail to take out Gotti after 1986's bombing?.......I know he tried 4-5 months after the Castellano hit but, I don't fully understand what happened after that?

I assume that Gigangte had a very hard time finding someone willing to sign their own death certificate but Amuso and Casso are those kind of guys......So my assumption is that he had trouble finding anyone willing to take the contract on.

I have also seen that surveillance photo of Gotti,Gravano,Amuso and, Casso from 1988 at the Hamilton House. ...That also confuses the heck out of me....."Hey John, I know I blew your best buddy to smithereens but no hard feelings, were still cool, right? Fist Bump?"

Sign their own death certificate? They weren't scared of gotti, they were scared of the heat he brought on the mob. Like another poster mentioned, Chin knew that Gotti would bring himself down so there was no point making another attempt on his life and bring more heat on himself. In regards to Casso Gotti was pretty scared of him just like Demeo.

Last edited by JCrusher; 04/25/16 08:26 AM.
Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: furio_from_naples] #882012
04/25/16 10:17 AM
04/25/16 10:17 AM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Come on what saved Gotti was that he was the boss and have more loyalist to was impossible a coup d'etat

I agree with this.

Eventually Gigante would have gotten Gotti. But Gigante probably wanted to build a majority, or dominant minority, within the Gambinos, who would be supportive of the regime change.

It takes time to build that kind of political power.

And there is added difficulty when you have a self appointed boss who kept the capos of the Gambino mob on a very short leash.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: furio_from_naples] #882015
04/25/16 11:41 AM
04/25/16 11:41 AM
Uk
T
Tonytough Offline
ba da bing
Tonytough  Offline
ba da bing
T
Underboss
Uk
Originally Posted By: furio_from_naples

Sniper rifle is good BUT u would stick out like a sore thumb using that in Manhattan

Too many witnesses and people around/ it's not easy to snipe a moving target with 100
People around plus bodyguards and cars

Rizzuto on otherhand was cooking in the kitchen alone with his wife and daughter. Plus the shooter had cover from the big garden/ bushes

Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: DiLorenzo] #882016
04/25/16 11:43 AM
04/25/16 11:43 AM
Uk
T
Tonytough Offline
ba da bing
Tonytough  Offline
ba da bing
T
Underboss
Uk
Originally Posted By: DiLorenzo
Ya gotta love the feds don't ya ??

Bruce Mouw says its the law to warn somebody if there's evidence their life is danger...Okay, fine...Mr. law and order, by the book Bruce Mouw...

Where in the law does it say that you tell the intended victim who wants you killed ??

In my opinion what he did was try to get more people killed, and maybe finally get Gotti on something.

Great point I was just thinking the same- protocol has it they are not supposed to disclose any further info other than "your life is in danger, we are here to help if u want to talk. Have a good day sir"

The Feds were obviously trying to stir the pot

Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #882024
04/25/16 01:23 PM
04/25/16 01:23 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

The only reason Gotti took the threat seriously in the first place is because the Feds pinpointed the Westside as being behind the threats. That's how he knew it was serious.

So I don't really get where people are coming from. If the Feds didn't elaborate & substantiate on the threats and Gotti got killed then people would be complaining as well anyway.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #882026
04/25/16 01:42 PM
04/25/16 01:42 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
So once he was told this by the Feds what did Gotti do?

Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: Beanshooter] #882036
04/25/16 02:38 PM
04/25/16 02:38 PM
B
bronx Offline
Underboss
bronx  Offline
B
Underboss
ZERO, he punked it let more guy get killed, even left his son in the street clueless.

Last edited by bronx; 04/25/16 02:38 PM.
Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: Tonytough] #882083
04/26/16 09:13 AM
04/26/16 09:13 AM
naples,italy

naples,italy
Originally Posted By: Tonytough
Originally Posted By: furio_from_naples

Sniper rifle is good BUT u would stick out like a sore thumb using that in Manhattan

Too many witnesses and people around/ it's not easy to snipe a moving target with 100
People around plus bodyguards and cars

Rizzuto on otherhand was cooking in the kitchen alone with his wife and daughter. Plus the shooter had cover from the big garden/ bushes

As you said Tony if gigante wanted so much to kill gotti could easly but a si per in the Bush near gotti home or near his club or wherever he go until gotti would die.
At the end Chin understand that kill gotti will be worst for the bussiness and stop trying. The $$$ at the end saved gotti.

Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #882084
04/26/16 09:21 AM
04/26/16 09:21 AM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
IMO what saved Gotti was getting arrested by the Feds in 1990.

Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: Beanshooter] #882092
04/26/16 11:10 AM
04/26/16 11:10 AM
B
bronx Offline
Underboss
bronx  Offline
B
Underboss
that is right, also gas getting pinched and flipping..if that does not happen a lot more gambino's get killed

Re: If Chin was so powerful, then why........? [Re: Tonytough] #882151
04/26/16 05:53 PM
04/26/16 05:53 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Originally Posted By: Tonytough

Actually I think he was sitting down eating when the shot occurred but I could be wrong.

Either way you are right on the shooter. Had to be messy to kill him in front of his family like that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull