GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Brovelli), 120 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,890
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,326
Posts1,058,661
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Al D'Arco saves a young Vic Amuso #858271
08/31/15 10:30 AM
08/31/15 10:30 AM
Uk
T
Tonytough Offline OP
ba da bing
Tonytough  Offline OP
ba da bing
T
Underboss
Uk
Just got the book, not overtly impressed by it. Way too many little stories & name throwing. However only quarter way through so hopefully things pick up

Anyway, read the part where Little Al is in for his first stretch & he recognises Amuso from a heist they done together few yrs back. Says nobody knew Vic at the time & he was being housed on the 5th floor along with the Mexicans & blacks "u can tell he was having a tough time, so next day I call him over and introduced him to all the italian guys".

Re: Al D'Arco saves a young Vic Amuso [Re: Tonytough] #858280
08/31/15 12:36 PM
08/31/15 12:36 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Tonytough
Just got the book, not overtly impressed by it. Way too many little stories & name throwing. However only quarter way through so hopefully things pick up

Anyway, read the part where Little Al is in for his first stretch & he recognises Amuso from a heist they done together few yrs back. Says nobody knew Vic at the time & he was being housed on the 5th floor along with the Mexicans & blacks "u can tell he was having a tough time, so next day I call him over and introduced him to all the italian guys".

It's feasible. Vic's a little guy himself, and if he was still unknown at the time it could be true. You walk into prison, you blow out a sigh of relief when you see the first person you know. Believe that.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Al D'Arco saves a young Vic Amuso [Re: Tonytough] #858284
08/31/15 01:47 PM
08/31/15 01:47 PM
BennyB Offline
Made Member
BennyB  Offline
Made Member
I believed most things in the book... Didn't really seem like there was a lot of bullshitting or embellishing. He doesn't really have that impressing of a story - it's interesting, but not super impressive. And all the "little stories" is what I liked about it.

In fact, the only major embellishment was the title! He was not really a mob boss. More like a substitute teacher who is a fill in and who doesn't know what's going on.

Re: Al D'Arco saves a young Vic Amuso [Re: Tonytough] #858286
08/31/15 01:51 PM
08/31/15 01:51 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Just got the book, not overtly impressed by it. Way too many little stories & name throwing.

Those little stories, about the old New York neighborhoods, were the best parts of the book.

No offense intended, but you couldn't possibly understand. Not living in England.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Al D'Arco saves a young Vic Amuso [Re: Tonytough] #858292
08/31/15 03:29 PM
08/31/15 03:29 PM
Uk
T
Tonytough Offline OP
ba da bing
Tonytough  Offline OP
ba da bing
T
Underboss
Uk
Oh I see what u guys mean. Seeing you lot are from that era, he's reliving your "good old days" so to speak

Some of the stories were interesting but a lot of it was irrelevant and I would prefer him to concentrate more on a few main individuals and really go into detail. Maybe he does later on....

One of the stories was told to him by another inmate. Who claims he knocked out a young chin Gigante for trying to shake him down

Re: Al D'Arco saves a young Vic Amuso [Re: Tonytough] #858307
08/31/15 05:14 PM
08/31/15 05:14 PM
B
Belmont Offline
Underboss
Belmont  Offline
B
Underboss
Great point PB regarding the old NYC hoods.
I thought the book was pretty good and for the most part truthful. Of course D'Arco forgot to include the part where he skimmed money from vic and casso while they took a powder.lol
The way he tells the story, you can almost feel his paranoia at the end.
I really think vic and casso felt taken advantage of by D'Arco while they were on the run. I dont think them wanting to kill D'Arco had anything to do about not doing a hit. It was about money.
PB can correct me if im off base here.

Re: Al D'Arco saves a young Vic Amuso [Re: Belmont] #858326
08/31/15 07:35 PM
08/31/15 07:35 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Belmont
Great point PB regarding the old NYC hoods.
I thought the book was pretty good and for the most part truthful. Of course D'Arco forgot to include the part where he skimmed money from vic and casso while they took a powder.lol
The way he tells the story, you can almost feel his paranoia at the end.
I really think vic and casso felt taken advantage of by D'Arco while they were on the run. I dont think them wanting to kill D'Arco had anything to do about not doing a hit. It was about money.
PB can correct me if im off base here.

No, Belmont. That's about right. One more tidbit I'll throw in is his constant mentioning of Jimmy Ida. Jimmy and Joey Ida wouldn't look at D'Arco BEFORE the rat rumors started to spread. Yet D'Arco would have you believe they were pals.

He "revealed" that Little Jimmy ate lunch at La Mela every day. Big fucking deal. Anyone who knew the guy could tell you that he loved that place. And he PAID. Not like some of the scumbags who expect everything on the arm. And incidentally, D'Arco was one of those scumbags. Always bullying waiters and bartenders in the unconnected restaurants down there and walking out on checks.

Not to mention bringing a junkie son into the life. The guy is human garbage. But fuck Casso and Amuso, too lol.

Re: Al D'Arco saves a young Vic Amuso [Re: Tonytough] #858362
08/31/15 11:20 PM
08/31/15 11:20 PM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
PB,
Where've you been? Sent you an email about a week ago.

Hope you're well.

MORGAN: Why didn't you fight him at the park if you wanted to? I'm not goin' now, I'm eatin' my snack.
CHUCKIE: Morgan, Let's go.
MORGAN: I'm serious Chuckie, I ain't goin'.
WILL: So don't go.
Re: Al D'Arco saves a young Vic Amuso [Re: SonnyBlackstein] #858370
09/01/15 12:48 AM
09/01/15 12:48 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein
PB,
Where've you been? Sent you an email about a week ago.

Hope you're well.

Busy with my Pop, Sonny. I'll look for it tomorrow and email you even if I can't find it. Because I always try to return your emails asap. But this one must have slipped by me. I bought a new phone and may have deleted it without seeing it. Fucking technology. But I'll talk to you tomorrow smile.

Re: Al D'Arco saves a young Vic Amuso [Re: Tonytough] #858380
09/01/15 02:16 AM
09/01/15 02:16 AM
Uk
T
Tonytough Offline OP
ba da bing
Tonytough  Offline OP
ba da bing
T
Underboss
Uk
Who in their right mind would want to rob gas & vic, Al must be crazy if he thought he'd get away with it.

Re: Al D'Arco saves a young Vic Amuso [Re: Tonytough] #858382
09/01/15 02:29 AM
09/01/15 02:29 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Who in their right mind would want to rob gas & vic, Al must be crazy if he thought he'd get away with it.

Well, Al's a scumbag. I can attest to that. I just posted a little about his rep as a beat artist downtown. But he's living free in Florida, pretty much out in the open. A few of his friends have even visited him there because he didn't hurt them and they hold no grudge.

Yet those two other fellas have been locked up in cages for over twenty years. Only way out is in a body bag. Never coming home. So really, who's crazy?

Re: Al D'Arco saves a young Vic Amuso [Re: pizzaboy] #858396
09/01/15 09:47 AM
09/01/15 09:47 AM
M
mackinblack007 Offline
Capo
mackinblack007  Offline
M
Capo
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Well, Al's a scumbag. I can attest to that. I just posted a little about his rep as a beat artist downtown. But he's living free in Florida, pretty much out in the open. A few of his friends have even visited him there because he didn't hurt them and they hold no grudge.

Yet those two other fellas have been locked up in cages for over twenty years. Only way out is in a body bag. Never coming home. So really, who's crazy?
do you think Gas would have ratied if he wasn't shelved? And It makesvic look stupid to shelf Gas way too late.

Re: Al D'Arco saves a young Vic Amuso [Re: mackinblack007] #858412
09/01/15 11:42 AM
09/01/15 11:42 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: mackinblack007
do you think Gas would have ratied if he wasn't shelved?

Well, as of late, Capeci and his followers believe that Vic was never shelved. I do not. I firmly believe that Stevie's the boss, and has been the de facto boss for years (prior to his going to prison, then after the panel days through today). But that's for another thread. All that debate does is set off arguments between guys who read and guys who've seen. And I don't want to do that. But to finally answer your question, no, I do not believe that Vic would have ever ratted.

Originally Posted By: mackinblack007
And It makesvic look stupid to shelf Gas way too late.

They were both on the run and done for when they were caught. D'Arco and Chiodo had the goods to put them both away for life. It wouldn't have made a difference. And if they somehow avoided prison, the Westside was firmly in the Bronx/Harlem Lucchese camp, with the full backing of The Chin himself. They would have been shot down like the dogs that they are. But personally, I think thirty or so years in a cage is a worse fate than death.

And to clarify, I don't include the term "dog" for Amuso because he obviously stood up. I call him a dog because he was in with Casso on the murder of Mikey Salerno (and LIED about him being a rat), and the planned murder of Stevie. So it's a little bit personal for me. That's all I'm saying.

Re: Al D'Arco saves a young Vic Amuso [Re: Tonytough] #858415
09/01/15 12:02 PM
09/01/15 12:02 PM
G
gangstereport Offline
Underboss
gangstereport  Offline
G
Underboss
In the book al says him and steve crea were planning on going to war I wonder how much truth there is to that story I don't know if steves guys would be enough remember joey gimpa betrayed mike after all those years together for al and casso

Not connected with scott or anyone at gangsterreport

Sorry for the confusion
Re: Al D'Arco saves a young Vic Amuso [Re: gangstereport] #858436
09/01/15 01:47 PM
09/01/15 01:47 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: gangstereport
I don't know if steves guys would be enough

More than enough. They had the backing of every Westside crew, including 116th, with Chin's blessing to bring the power back to the East Harlem/Bronx/Westchester area, where the power always was, and belonged. Although, by that time, both the Westside and Lucchese crews had moved most operations from Harlem to the Bronx. If Vic and Gas somehow had their charges dismissed they wouldn't have seen 1995, if that. Gotti was gone for life, the Gambinos were a mess at the time, and Chin had the final say. And when Vince wanted you gone, you were fucking gone.

Originally Posted By: gangstereport
remember joey gimpa betrayed mike after all those years together for al and casso

That's bullshit. IF he did it, he was following orders from the boss. Those are the fucking rules. If you want to read up on the life and know the ins and outs then you have to understand that. It's your best friend half the fucking time. If it comes from the boss, you're following the rules. And that's IF he did it.

That scumbag Little Al also claimed that Joey earned from it because he owed Mikey some shy money at the time, which is also bullshit. Joey had every fucking body shop on Boston Road sewn up lock, stock, and barrel back then. He needed a lousy 20 grand from a guy who brought him up? Please. And for the record, Joey and Stevie go back forty years. They're like fucking brothers.

Besides, Mr. Giampa was acquitted of that murder. ACQUITTED. Not a HUNG JURY. He was ACQUITTED. So who says he killed Mikey besides that little rat fuck?

Re: Al D'Arco saves a young Vic Amuso [Re: Tonytough] #858500
09/01/15 08:20 PM
09/01/15 08:20 PM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss
Nuff said.

When Interpol?
Re: Al D'Arco saves a young Vic Amuso [Re: Tonytough] #858563
09/02/15 03:07 AM
09/02/15 03:07 AM
C
conopizza Offline
Button
conopizza  Offline
C
Button

Regardless how one views Al's account of things w/ Amuso & Casso on the lam (a subject gone over repeatedly here) this book is one of THEE great Brooklyn biographies (Williamsburg, Fort Greene, Navy Yard area, Fulton Ferry-- pre-"Dumbo"-- Canarsie areas +++), there's lots of material both you have not and largely could not read elsewhere though many lived & know similar.

Whether or not this social history content is recognized or appeals to crime readers is another question but I gotta credit Al's memory, perceptiveness and, presumably, co-author Tom Robbins for asking the right questions. (I think it's fair to guess Capeci's primary interest, expertise is on the mob side.)

Last edited by conopizza; 09/02/15 03:08 AM.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull