GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DanteMoltisanti, Toodoped), 301 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,337
Posts1,058,861
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Talia Shire on Michael Corleone [Re: olivant] #858174
08/30/15 02:15 AM
08/30/15 02:15 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: olivant
Well PB, in your reply to TB you stated:

"That's spot-on accurate.

He was punishing Connie at a very sensitive time,"

I also stated that "he was half-wrong in doing so."

You say tomato. It's only semantics.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Talia Shire on Michael Corleone [Re: pizzaboy] #858206
08/30/15 02:13 PM
08/30/15 02:13 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Sonny introduced Carlo to Connie, so he did, literally, bring him into the family. But, it was Connie's decision to marry Carlo, which is where the trouble began--and ended.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Talia Shire on Michael Corleone [Re: Turnbull] #858210
08/30/15 02:23 PM
08/30/15 02:23 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Sonny introduced Carlo to Connie, so he did, literally, bring him into the family. But, it was Connie's decision to marry Carlo, which is where the trouble began--and ended.

Carlo only married her to get into the family. He figured he'd get made for sure. I think the book even refers to Connie as unappealing or plain looking. But I could be wrong about that because I haven't read it in a few years.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Talia Shire on Michael Corleone [Re: pizzaboy] #858219
08/30/15 05:33 PM
08/30/15 05:33 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Puzo called her "shrewish." So, I suppose Carlo was involved in "The Taming of the Shrew." rolleyes

Re: Talia Shire on Michael Corleone [Re: Turnbull] #858220
08/30/15 05:39 PM
08/30/15 05:39 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Puzo called her "shrewish." So, I suppose Carlo was involved in "The Taming of the Shrew." rolleyes

That's it! Exactly the passage I was thinking of, TB.

Puzo could be a real asshole at times. I think he had a little self-hate in him. If you read "The Fortunate Pilgrim" from an Italian American's point of view, you'll know what I mean. He gave us "The Godfather." I'm just sayin'.

Re: Talia Shire on Michael Corleone [Re: pizzaboy] #858443
09/01/15 02:36 PM
09/01/15 02:36 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Puzo could be a real asshole at times. I think he had a little self-hate in him. If you read "The Fortunate Pilgrim" from an Italian American's point of view, you'll know what I mean. He gave us "The Godfather." I'm just sayin'.

Very true, PB. Ethnic writers are often cruel to their fellow ethnics when writing about their foibles. Attest Philip Roth and Mordecai Richler on Jews, and John Gregory Donne, George V. Higgins and Jimmy Breslin on Irish.

Decades ago, two Irish newspaper columnists gave 180-degree opposite views of their fellow ethnics. To Pete Hamill, writing in the NY Post, every Irishman was a poet, a revolutionary, a friend of the working man, a fighter for truth and justice. To Jimmy Breslin (NY Daily News), every Irishman was a drunk, a boor, a lout and a bigot.

You probably remember when Breslin was running for president of the NY City Council on Norman Mailer's mayoral ticket. Breslin tried to give a speech in Gaelic Park in the Bronx, and was almost lynched.

Re: Talia Shire on Michael Corleone [Re: Turnbull] #858460
09/01/15 05:21 PM
09/01/15 05:21 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Decades ago, two Irish newspaper columnists gave 180-degree opposite views of their fellow ethnics. To Pete Hamill, writing in the NY Post, every Irishman was a poet, a revolutionary, a friend of the working man, a fighter for truth and justice. To Jimmy Breslin (NY Daily News), every Irishman was a drunk, a boor, a lout and a bigot.

Absolutely, TB.

Coincidentally, Hamill wrote a beautiful novel a few years back called "Snow in August." It's set in the forties, and it's about a young Irish boy from Brooklyn who befriends a Rabbi from Eastern Europe. If they have it at your library, you may just like it. I did.

And I told you about Breslin. My grandfather was a typesetter and later a union delegate at the Daily News for over thirty years. My grandfather hated his guts (although, to his credit, Breslin did come up to the Bronx for the funeral). Dick Young (the sportswriter) was described in similar terms by my grandfather. But it sounds much nicer in Italian lol.

And I remember the Gaelic Park incident fairly well. I was just a kid, and that's way up on Broadway by the Yonkers border. But my Dad had a very close Irish friend up on Bainbridge, and I remember him ranting about it even at a young age.

Re: Talia Shire on Michael Corleone [Re: Turnbull] #858462
09/01/15 05:36 PM
09/01/15 05:36 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
George V. Higgins and Jimmy Breslin on Irish.

Yeah, Higgins was a snob. He was too intellectual for his own good, and he often described his fellow Irishmen in lowly terms. Cutting his teeth as a prosecutor probably didn't help, but that's no excuse.

His first three novels were great ("The Friends of Eddie Coyle" an all-time great). But after that, I believe he began to read too many of his own reviews about his realistic dialogue and whatnot. Too many run-on sentences and storylines that he had no business writing about. After "The Digger's Game" and "Cogan's Trade," you can keep the rest.

Re: Talia Shire on Michael Corleone [Re: pizzaboy] #858520
09/01/15 09:59 PM
09/01/15 09:59 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Dick Young (the sportswriter) was described in similar terms by my grandfather. But it sounds much nicer in Italian lol.

lol lol lol

"It means he's content to be a jerk."

Re: Talia Shire on Michael Corleone [Re: pizzaboy] #858521
09/01/15 10:01 PM
09/01/15 10:01 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
George V. Higgins and Jimmy Breslin on Irish.

Yeah, Higgins was a snob. He was too intellectual for his own good, and he often described his fellow Irishmen in lowly terms. Cutting his teeth as a prosecutor probably didn't help, but that's no excuse.

His first three novels were great ("The Friends of Eddie Coyle" an all-time great). But after that, I believe he began to read too many of his own reviews about his realistic dialogue and whatnot. Too many run-on sentences and storylines that he had no business writing about. After "The Digger's Game" and "Cogan's Trade," you can keep the rest.

Couldn't agree more, PB. "The Friends of Eddie Coyle" and "The Digger's Game" are two of the all-time greatest crime novels. "Cogan's Trade" also is worthy (although the movie version, "Killing Them Softly," must have had Higgins spinning in his grave). After that: straight downhill.

Re: Talia Shire on Michael Corleone [Re: Turnbull] #858549
09/02/15 12:27 AM
09/02/15 12:27 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Dick Young (the sportswriter) was described in similar terms by my grandfather. But it sounds much nicer in Italian lol.

lol lol lol

"It means he's content to be a jerk."

I KNEW that double entendre wasn't getting by you, TB lol.

Re: Talia Shire on Michael Corleone [Re: Turnbull] #858551
09/02/15 12:36 AM
09/02/15 12:36 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Couldn't agree more, PB.

That's cuz I'm smaht. Not as smaht as you. But I can hold my own with most of the board. Especially lately lol.

Re: Talia Shire on Michael Corleone [Re: Turnbull] #858655
09/02/15 07:09 PM
09/02/15 07:09 PM
Professor_M Offline
Button
Professor_M  Offline
Button

You probably remember when Breslin was running for president of the NY City Council on Norman Mailer's mayoral ticket. Breslin tried to give a speech in Gaelic Park in the Bronx, and was almost lynched.

I vaguely remember that. After the election, Breslin said he was ashamed to have taken part in an event that caused the bars to be closed for a day (which was true back then).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull