GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Lana, Turnbull), 359 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,611
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,092
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,378
Posts1,059,588
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino [Re: Zavattoni] #851473
07/15/15 01:29 AM
07/15/15 01:29 AM
M
mackinblack007 Offline
Capo
mackinblack007  Offline
M
Capo
Carmine doesnt need the anastasia hit to be a legend.

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino [Re: bronx] #851476
07/15/15 02:59 AM
07/15/15 02:59 AM
D
DiMaggio Offline
Button
DiMaggio  Offline
D
Button
The rumour of persico being involved originated with his cousin? Fred DeChristopher, the guy he was hiding out with, who ratted him out. He told authorities that Carmine had told him of his involvement. No evidence however, backs up Persicos involvement.

Likewise, Gallo's involvement seems dubious because in 1957 he was a loyal Profaci solider. His own war with Profaci was still several years away.
Profaci was aligned with Anastasia and Bonnano against Genovese and Lucchese. To OK A.A hit he would have lost an ally.

The most likely theory is the one Capeci put forward,that the hit came from inside the family. With Anastasia angry at Genovese over the attempted Costello hit...I know Genovese was no slouch but AA was not someone to be taken lightly...he conspired with Gambino and Joe Biondo to take out AA.
The selling of memberships for profit and the unhinged killing of citizen, Arnold Schuster, were the official reasons but Im sure Gambino saw it as his opportunity to climb.
Biondo picked Steve "coogan" Grammauta, Stefano "14th street Steve" Armone and Arnold Wittenburg as the shooters.
Armones relationship with Biondo goes back to the 20's and they served in his crew. Armone himself was made a capo in the 1950's although im not sure if it was before or after the Anastasia hit. Everyone else involved all got promotions so it wouldn't surprise me if it was maybe for his participation in the shooting.
Interestingly, Capeci says that Armones younger brother , Joe "piney" Armone was originally slated to be a shooter but his brother replaced him when he was arrested and jailed. He would go on 28 years later to be involved in another famous hit on a Castellano...seems these Armone boys had no problem with clipping bosses.
Of all involved, Joseph "Joe Banti" Biondo interests me the most. This guy was near the top of the heap and involved with all the big names from the early thirties onward. Involved in high level drugs, with frequent trips to Sicily through the 40s and 50s.Longtime capo with a big crew. Consig through the fist part of 50s and upped to UB after the hit. He was demoted back to solider in 65 after Gambino caught him holding back money from a dump he was partners in with Sam DeCavalcante.

Last edited by DiMaggio; 07/15/15 04:38 AM.
Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino [Re: mackinblack007] #851491
07/15/15 08:43 AM
07/15/15 08:43 AM
B
bronx Offline
Underboss
bronx  Offline
B
Underboss
very true, he is

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino [Re: DiMaggio] #851492
07/15/15 08:45 AM
07/15/15 08:45 AM
B
bronx Offline
Underboss
bronx  Offline
B
Underboss
very well said Dimaggio,

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino [Re: DiMaggio] #851607
07/15/15 08:31 PM
07/15/15 08:31 PM
S
SonnyD Offline
Made Member
SonnyD  Offline
S
Made Member
Originally Posted By: DiMaggio
The rumour of persico being involved originated with his cousin? Fred DeChristopher, the guy he was hiding out with, who ratted him out. He told authorities that Carmine had told him of his involvement. No evidence however, backs up Persicos involvement.

Likewise, Gallo's involvement seems dubious because in 1957 he was a loyal Profaci solider. His own war with Profaci was still several years away.
Profaci was aligned with Anastasia and Bonnano against Genovese and Lucchese. To OK A.A hit he would have lost an ally.

The most likely theory is the one Capeci put forward,that the hit came from inside the family. With Anastasia angry at Genovese over the attempted Costello hit...I know Genovese was no slouch but AA was not someone to be taken lightly...he conspired with Gambino and Joe Biondo to take out AA.
The selling of memberships for profit and the unhinged killing of citizen, Arnold Schuster, were the official reasons but Im sure Gambino saw it as his opportunity to climb.
Biondo picked Steve "coogan" Grammauta, Stefano "14th street Steve" Armone and Arnold Wittenburg as the shooters.
Armones relationship with Biondo goes back to the 20's and they served in his crew. Armone himself was made a capo in the 1950's although im not sure if it was before or after the Anastasia hit. Everyone else involved all got promotions so it wouldn't surprise me if it was maybe for his participation in the shooting.
Interestingly, Capeci says that Armones younger brother , Joe "piney" Armone was originally slated to be a shooter but his brother replaced him when he was arrested and jailed. He would go on 28 years later to be involved in another famous hit on a Castellano...seems these Armone boys had no problem with clipping bosses.
Of all involved, Joseph "Joe Banti" Biondo interests me the most. This guy was near the top of the heap and involved with all the big names from the early thirties onward. Involved in high level drugs, with frequent trips to Sicily through the 40s and 50s.Longtime capo with a big crew. Consig through the fist part of 50s and upped to UB after the hit. He was demoted back to solider in 65 after Gambino caught him holding back money from a dump he was partners in with Sam DeCavalcante.

Lot of interesting stuff there yes, but Profaci was never aligned with Anastasia to my knowledge, in fact they were rivals since the twenties from what I remember reading. The Commission politics were very complicated; while Anastasia was allied with Costello against Genovese and Lucchese, Bonanno and Profaci were playing their own game. And as Gambino and Profaci each had their own reasons to take Anastasia out it wouldn't surprise me in the least if that Family had some involvement.

But no, it doesn't seem likely that Persico was in on the hit.

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino [Re: bronx] #851609
07/15/15 08:32 PM
07/15/15 08:32 PM
116th_street Offline
Wiseguy
116th_street  Offline
Wiseguy
Originally Posted By: bronx
116th, most guys do not know steve g. a.k.a coogan, if you were not an old timer or from first ave crew he was very low key. , it is not something these fellows bragged about, even on the castellano hit before graveno flipped they had some of the guys wrong involved and roach was there and had the wrong guys when he flipped for a minute...who killed jerome johnson..video tapes, 150k people there..nobody arrested or talked about. mystery..plenty of colombo guys flipped ..nothing of value..not sure if gravano even spoke about A.A. hit team? maybe someone out there can say. just a thought would gambino sub this out to profaci, or tommy l? carlo had dozens of guys who did work.why profaci's guys.

Thanks for a very insightful answer, bronx. Interesting to know that he's alive

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino [Re: Zavattoni] #851651
07/16/15 06:58 AM
07/16/15 06:58 AM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
So there was a reason why Carlo could have used that family ,,No. ?

Cackling like a banty Rooster.

I love this," "I just love this."
Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino [Re: Serpiente] #851661
07/16/15 09:47 AM
07/16/15 09:47 AM
S
SonnyD Offline
Made Member
SonnyD  Offline
S
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Serpiente
So there was a reason why Carlo could have used that family ,,No. ?

One reason would be to avoid any chance of it getting back to Anastasia if they used someone from inside, after all Albert was the Family Boss and had his own very tough crew of killers. Anyone from inside the Family might figure Big Albert was a better bet to come out on top.

Less chance of that using shooters from the Profaci's, many of whom Anastasia had a running feud with. Plus that Family had a lot of top hitmen.

Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino [Re: Zavattoni] #871550
01/04/16 03:33 PM
01/04/16 03:33 PM
mchang93 Offline
Capo
mchang93  Offline
Capo
Persico in his younger days hd the attention of higher-ups of all the families as did the Gallos. If you research the first family charts he is listed as a Genovese soldier, and Valachi had him as one too. I believe Don Carlo and Don Vito used him in AA hit because he was around Red Hook with Gallos and losing AA he needed thugs who ran Red Hook under his wing still. In The Mad Ones,book about Gallos it has a quote saying the Boys which I took to be Gallos and Persico were bosses of Brooklyn at very young age. This led me to believe that after the AA hit with backing of Gambino and Genovese they felt they "ran" Brooklyn and thier actions following showed the same IMO.

Last edited by mchang93; 01/04/16 03:34 PM.
Re: Carmine Persico & Carlo Gambino [Re: mackinblack007] #871582
01/04/16 10:20 PM
01/04/16 10:20 PM
B
bronx Offline
Underboss
bronx  Offline
B
Underboss
he didn't do it anyway

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull