GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 372 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,611
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,092
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,378
Posts1,059,590
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: cookcounty] #855953
08/14/15 02:26 AM
08/14/15 02:26 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline OP
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline OP
C
Underboss
Chicago
This is a New York-centric view; It doesnt matter if New York is a bigger city, Like Alfa pointed out, detroit was integrated at the production, supply And distribution levels, so they control thier own production, transit, (with the Teamsters) And distribution, the most powerful drug syndicates are almost always horizontally and vertically integrated like this.
Its why you saw the sicilians sending thier own guys to move the dope over here, why the colombians sent thier own guys to move dope,why CN imported Puerto Rican immigrants to move dope for them (something i read recently, actually kinda explains Nelson Cantellops and Vito, to me at least)why you see ndrangheta making moves on the New York market. New York might have had control over distribution and an entry point,( the docks) but detroit had the links to producers, and had family in the mafia in sicily, trusted people to handle it on the other side of the water.
You can control production like a Luciano, you can control distribution like a Ormento, you can be the middle -man linking both Bono,Galante, Rizzuto, maybe Cali now, But if have all three, you are a King.....

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: CabriniGreen] #855954
08/14/15 02:27 AM
08/14/15 02:27 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: CabriniGreen

This is what I thought the board was for, I asked this question thinking New York was always tops, and then Giacomo came with the detroit knowledge, and I felt like I learned something...
To me, its a key thing overlooked when understanding the commision politics of the time period.If Detroit was the biggest in one of the if not THE biggest moneymaker, and they are allied to Profaci, and he is allied with Bonnano, and He is allied with Maggadino, and detroit is close to families in St. Louis, ect...
Like taking all this into consideration, WHO WAS ACTUALLY THE STRONGEST BOSS IN THE 30S-40S? Can we really say Lucky? Is it Costello? Or the Brooklyn click of Profaci, Bonnano, Mangano?

What Giacomo said, besides yet being unproven, is debatable to say the least. And even if it were true, it wouldn't automatically mean Detroit was the biggest money maker or change things in NY. The Genovese family has always been considered the most powerful family by most people in law enforcement and mob experts. No point in indulging on revisionist history based on little or nothing.

And NY has always been the center or ground zero for all things LCN. That's just a fact. And the size of the families and the area they operate are major factors, whether people recognize it or not.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 08/14/15 02:30 AM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: CabriniGreen] #855955
08/14/15 02:30 AM
08/14/15 02:30 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline OP
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline OP
C
Underboss
Chicago
An example, Griselda Blanco, connnects to producers, the middle man Rafa, and Her own crew to move it, doesnt matter where she is in the world, she would probably be tops in coke at that time...
Or think Ohio with George Remus during prohibition..

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: IvyLeague] #855957
08/14/15 02:52 AM
08/14/15 02:52 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline OP
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline OP
C
Underboss
Chicago
I dont understand? Revisionist history?Explain to me why its so inconceivable for Detroit to be biggest in narcotics from the 30s, to the 50s? Like you really confuse me, your Purple Gang stats, like they Are from Detroit right? Your New York stats ARE from the 50s, like WHAT ARE YOU ARGUING EXACTLY?
Better question, Luciano goes to jail in the 30s, Who fills that vaccuum from New York? Remember, Rothstien controlled this trade, Lucky inherited from him, and his contacts were in China, not the middle East, but the Far East. So you tell me,lol The Title of the thread, Who was the King of Dope?

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: cookcounty] #855958
08/14/15 02:56 AM
08/14/15 02:56 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline OP
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline OP
C
Underboss
Chicago
New York got rich off the french connection, which Lucky helped form, like After he was deported, no? Like is this wrong? Seriously...

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: CabriniGreen] #855959
08/14/15 03:08 AM
08/14/15 03:08 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

I dont understand? Revisionist history?Explain to me why its so inconceivable for Detroit to be biggest in narcotics from the 30s, to the 50s? Like you really confuse me, your Purple Gang stats, like they Are from Detroit right? Your New York stats ARE from the 50s, like WHAT ARE YOU ARGUING EXACTLY?
Better question, Luciano goes to jail in the 30s, Who fills that vaccuum from New York? Remember, Rothstien controlled this trade, Lucky inherited from him, and his contacts were in China, not the middle East, but the Far East. So you tell me,lol The Title of the thread, Who was the King of Dope?

I'm arguing you shouldn't take the whole Detroit being the biggest in narcotics from the 30's to the 50s as a given when that hasn't been established. And not only are you making that assumption, in your last post you used that as a jumping off point for several other assumptions.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: CabriniGreen] #855960
08/14/15 03:52 AM
08/14/15 03:52 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline OP
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline OP
C
Underboss
Chicago
Have you read up on the Partinico group from sicily? Have you read up on Lucianos and Lanskys ties to the Chinese Ezra Brothers? Have you read anything on Coppolas political power in sicily? I really dont understand, Lucky inherited drug contacts from powerful jews, You mention the purple gang, yet it seems immposible to you that the detroit italians could have inherited this traffic cause why, its Detroit and not New York?
Also, the Purple gang MANUFACTURED drugs? Really, did they import morphine, was it like legally made medicinal stuff in a lab, I gotta say THIS sounds a lot like an assumption to me...
And you cant really say I cant take Detroit being the biggest in drugs in the 30s, the FBN would have said otherwise, and I havent seen much to contradict the HYPOTHESIS, NO one said it was fact, why I asked in the thread. Its like to me they were the biggest its just that Narcotics wasnt the biggest racket yet... And you are killing me with this assumption thing, its all assumptions, what do you think good cops are doing right now? Speculating off of info they have in front of em.
I gotta take a min...

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: CabriniGreen] #855961
08/14/15 04:47 AM
08/14/15 04:47 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Holy heck, you are mixing parts of what I said with what Giacomo said. Have you ever been diagnosed with ADD? Its ironic this thread is about drugs because you need to be on them. I'm thinking Ritalin or Adderall. High dosage.

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: CabriniGreen] #855963
08/14/15 06:40 AM
08/14/15 06:40 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline OP
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline OP
C
Underboss
Chicago
Okay, see I thought it was me, but I see now you just kinda have an attitude. And Im in another thread about philly, no one there has an issue having a discussion, people are looking at hypothetical scenarios, no one demanding set in stone facts that you read , where on the same internet as everyone else?
I kinda let you piss me off before but now I see it is you, not me. You ignore every point I make, ridicule every counter arguement, and Every Thing Mafia anywhere at all times revolves around New York... ROGER... and Dude yopu can just google coppola, ormento, priziola, partico, the teamsters, ect.. like you dont need to take my word for it, and also, yall call people fanboys, but you seem REALLY sensitive about New York, like I said detroit was probaly the biggest in narcotics, you do realize this statement does not make them the top mob right? Like Narcotics isnt the top racket at this time, so why does this seem to offend your sensibilities?... You are a funny guy, like you think everything you have read is right, and everyone else is wrong...

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: IvyLeague] #855968
08/14/15 07:10 AM
08/14/15 07:10 AM
M
mickey2 Offline
Capo
mickey2  Offline
M
Capo
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Holy heck, you are mixing parts of what I said with what Giacomo said. Have you ever been diagnosed with ADD? Its ironic this thread is about drugs because you need to be on them. I'm thinking Ritalin or Adderall. High dosage.

this clap

just calm down guys.

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: CabriniGreen] #856025
08/14/15 02:25 PM
08/14/15 02:25 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Cabrini, you asked a straight question. Let me give you as straight an answer as I can.

Yes all the bosses in America split the profits from the largest cash cows, so there was no one king of dope. But there had to be a defacto king, not necessarily of dope, but of the underworld overall.

The strength resided in the five families as nationally predominant.

Within the five families, the two largest families that controlled the harbors were predominant.

Between those two families, the defacto boss of bosses was either a Genovese Boss or a Gambino Boss, all depending on the specific time frame. During Carlo's time, the Gambino's dominated, and little Carlo was the alpha male. During Genovese's time, the Genovese family dominated and Vito was the alpha male. Before Vito, the alpha male was Salvatore Lucania. My guess is that power was always alternating between those two families, the Luciano and Mangano.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: CabriniGreen] #856076
08/14/15 07:58 PM
08/14/15 07:58 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Speaking for myself, I remain unconvinced (at least without more info) that Detroit was ever the biggest family in the drug trade. This thinking on my part doesnt come from some sensitivity about New York but the fact that the NY families we're always the biggest, had the biggest market by far, as well as international contacts and control over ports of entry.

Cabrini starts down the road of thinking Detroit being the top family in narcotics could have somehow, by extension, changed the power structure in NY but later reverses himself and says being top of the drug trade at the time doesn't automatically mean anything because drugs weren't the biggest racket. Well, which is it?

I wouldn't take it upon myself to declare any one guy the "King of Dope." That title could have probably been given to several mafiosi depending on the time frame in question.

In the earlier years I think the Genovese family would be in the running before they pulled back (not abandoned) their level of involvement in the later years. Along the way in between it was probably the Gambino, Lucchese and Bonanno families all jockeying for the position. Later I think it came down to the Gambinos and Bonannos being the most deeply involved and it seems to remain that way to this day. Probably with the Gambinos at the top if only because of the sheer size difference.

And don't let anyone kid you. The mob has ALWAYS been involved in the drug trade to one degree or another. And that includes after the early 1950s and after Apalachin. As I said before, many families may have adopted a nominal "no drugs" policy but it was often ignored. Capeci gives examples of guys dealing before and after the 1950s including Joe Armone, Vito Genovese (who Capeci says there is little evidence to support the theory he was set up), and Carmine Galante. John Ormento was another one.

I'm not sure what some people get out of claiming the mob abandoned drugs from the early 1950s until their involvement became impossible to deny in the 1980s. Even if it were true - which it isn't - what are we talking, maybe 30 years tops? But only someone who is ignorant of mob history or has an agenda will believe that.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 08/15/15 01:00 AM.

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: CabriniGreen] #856105
08/15/15 12:46 AM
08/15/15 12:46 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
A lot of people forget about Bendito, who put a bargo on Sicily. The drugs did not start to really come into the American harbors till near the end of the war and after from Italy. Detroit had the connections. Drugs did come into America, but these were from different countries and groups.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #856106
08/15/15 01:20 AM
08/15/15 01:20 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
A lot of people forget about Bendito, who put a bargo on Sicily. The drugs did not start to really come into the American harbors till near the end of the war and after from Italy. Detroit had the connections. Drugs did come into America, but these were from different countries and groups.

Are you saying the other families, including the NY ones, had no direct drug connections before the mid-1904s and everyone had to get their supply from Detroit?

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: CabriniGreen] #856108
08/15/15 01:36 AM
08/15/15 01:36 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Ivy don't forget about the Uboats and Japan taking over China and southeast Asia. The other families did have connections, but had to go through Detroit when access was scares. Lucchese and Dragna families had some balls since they stole from military bases. You really have admire that move, since it would have cost a bullet by the sentry.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #856109
08/15/15 01:53 AM
08/15/15 01:53 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Ivy don't forget about the Uboats and Japan taking over China and southeast Asia. The other families did have connections, but had to go through Detroit when access was scares. Lucchese and Dragna families had some balls since they stole from military bases. You really have admire that move, since it would have cost a bullet by the sentry.

It wouldn’t surprise me if these factors during the war affected drug supplies. But why did it affect the NY and other families but not Detroit? I can imagine families going to Detroit when it had a supply but can also see the reverse happening depending on whoever had drugs to sell at a given time.

So not only are you saying Detroit was the biggest family in the drug trade from the 1930s to the 1950s, you're also saying they were the only ones with direct drug connections for several years. I see no convincing evidence for any of this.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 08/15/15 01:53 AM.

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: mickey2] #857152
08/22/15 07:05 AM
08/22/15 07:05 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline OP
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline OP
C
Underboss
Chicago
You are right about this, this guy has me a little off my rocker lol, I apologize for the mistakeses, lol

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #857183
08/22/15 12:48 PM
08/22/15 12:48 PM
Texas
TonyG Offline
Capo
TonyG  Offline
Capo
Texas
From 1930's to the 1950's the Detroit family was bigger than the rest of the families in drugs. When it comes to New York City. The Lucchese family was the biggest in drugs. The Bureau of Narcotics got a lot of informants from that family alone. By the mid 1950's Vito Genovese and Joe Bonanno were the two biggest in drugs. Joe played it smart and allowed Galante and Evola crews to handle the distribution of the drugs, from Canada to Florida, and New York to California. Vito was playing it smart till he became boss of the Genovese and let his guard down, I still believe he was set up on an informants lies, but he did not restrict who dealt in drugs and who didn't, just made sure he got his cut from the profit.

There is some validity to Giacomo's post regarding Detroit bringing in Heroin, but I think his dates are wrong. See the attached newspaper clippings from 1959 that reports on testimony from Charles Siragusa, from the Bureau of Narcotics,to a Senate Rackets Committee. Siragusa claims that Detroit and St. Louis had the largest pipeline of H into the US for a period of time, begining in 1949-1950. Siragusa also claims Detroit and St Louis were selling into NY. The article claims the key figures were Raffaele Quasarano (Detroit), Salvatore Vitale (Italy), Tony Giordano (St Louis), Tony Lopiparo (St Louis) and Ralph "Shorty" Caleca (St. Louis).

Attached Files IMG_4427 Crop 2 (141x640).jpgIMG_4428 Crop (2) (137x640).jpg

Best way to catch the smart ones? Get an idiot working for them.
Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: IvyLeague] #857583
08/25/15 05:59 AM
08/25/15 05:59 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline OP
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline OP
C
Underboss
Chicago
Ok Ivey, follow me here, it affected the New Yorkers because the drug trade was run by Jewish racketeers, who were plugged in the Far East. iTalians like Luciano and Costello and Adonis were close to rothstein and as such, were the top Italians in the trade in New York. ( And there were still Jewish partners like Lepke, and this Katzenberg character who is popping up in books I've read recently) Now when this gets disrupted, both by le and the war, a vacuum is left, you see? Lucky is locked up, Bonnano hasn't set up his pipeline yet,
Genovese has to flee....
So it's a matter of convenience and circumstance, combined with contacts and resources, like I said just read up a little on Coppolas power in Sicily, the Detroit Windsor crew, the whole partinico faction.
(And stepping outside the mafia Ivey, Detroit has like, some Hall Of fame drug gangs, I want you to consider what exactly would it take to be successful in the narcotics trade, you will quickly find it is not something limited by geography)
Also, I do consider your point, and I think the most likely New York gangster with all the components in place to dominate narcotics, was probably Joe Adonis.
Also, Drugs have basically Always changed the power structure in New York. It's a big point in the godfather, a powerful drug capo, that actually has the power to hit The top boss, because the profit potential is so huge.Look at the three capos, all that was drugs. Gotti and castellano, drugs. Carlo breaking up Vito's ring so he could basically duplicate it. Galante hit, drugs. Look at Vito's drug ring, Evola,Ormento, Mazzie, drugs have a tendency to ignore traditional family hierarchies and alignments,men go where the money goes...
The Sicilians controlled the heroin trade, but were Anastasia or Costello Sicilian? Do you see Mangano being strong enough to control either of them? I see Mangano allying with Profaci, Bonnano, to curb Anastasias power the same way Costello allied with Anastasia to stave of genovese. I see Profaci allied with zerilli, Bonnano, MAggadino, possibly Gagliano too. Even if not Gagliano, that's possible three commission votes, how many would they need for controlling influence. Again these rivalries make charting the flow of power a lot more complicated than just, well the genovese are the strongest.
Alfa, you make a concise, reasonable perfectly logical argument, but I want to ask you something; Do you subscribe to the theory of Liberal and Conservative factions on the commission in the 40s? It's something I feel gets really overlooked; IT seems to be LUciano/Chicago, Profaci/Bonnano/MAggadino/zerilli definitely, with Mangano/Gagliano possibly with the conservative Faction. Consider MAngano, he couldn't control Anastasia, and a lot of this was based on the fact that he was close to Costello and Luciano. So when Lucky goes away, he breathes a little easier, why I believe he would throw in with the Profaci faction.
But hey, I'm just a reader, lol any thoughts on any of this silliness?

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: CabriniGreen] #857587
08/25/15 07:00 AM
08/25/15 07:00 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Also look up Vincenzo Catalanotte from Detroit, he was deported to Sicily in the 1930s, for drug offensives. He set up a drug pipeline, that eventually Frank would incorporate into his own pipeline. Corolla in New Orleans, and Gagliano in New York City would benefit from these, from their Capos that would send tribute on up.

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: CabriniGreen] #857610
08/25/15 12:15 PM
08/25/15 12:15 PM
Texas
TonyG Offline
Capo
TonyG  Offline
Capo
Texas
Scott Burnstein has a good article on the Detroit / St. Louis heroin pipeline here:

http://gangsterreport.com/heroin-the-20th-century-detroit-mafia/

It is a bit off the topic of this thread, but I have been trying to learn more about the Detroit / St. Louis family relationships. The article above provides a lot good background information, although it focuses more on Detroit than St. Louis.

I am still working on the research, and it looks like a lot has to do with blood relations and involvement in the heroin trade. Here are some facts.

Vittorio “Don Vito” Vitale, from Castellammare del Golfo, is believed to be one of the Frank Coppola's original sources of heroin. Raffaele "Jimmy" Quasarano (Detroit) was the son in law of Vittorio Vitale.

Vittorio Vitale's is blood related to Salvatore “Toto” Vitale, from Partinico. Toto Vitale was sotocapo of the Partinico family.

Toto Vitale is cousins with John Vitale, of the St Louis family.

Toto Vitale is also the grandfather of Salvatore 'Good Looking Sal' Vitale, the ex underboss of the NY Bonanno family and mob informant.

Gaetano Badalamenti, involved in the Pizza Connection, was married to Theresa Vitale. I am not certain, but it looks like Theresa was from Castellammare and is related to Vittorio Vitale.

There are a bunch of other relationships between Detroit and St Louis that are not mentioned here (Tocco for example), but those are some of the pertinent ones as it applies to the heroin trade.

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: CabriniGreen] #857670
08/26/15 02:30 AM
08/26/15 02:30 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Ok Ivey, follow me here, it affected the New Yorkers because the drug trade was run by Jewish racketeers, who were plugged in the Far East. iTalians like Luciano and Costello and Adonis were close to rothstein and as such, were the top Italians in the trade in New York. ( And there were still Jewish partners like Lepke, and this Katzenberg character who is popping up in books I've read recently) Now when this gets disrupted, both by le and the war, a vacuum is left, you see? Lucky is locked up, Bonnano hasn't set up his pipeline yet,
Genovese has to flee....
So it's a matter of convenience and circumstance, combined with contacts and resources, like I said just read up a little on Coppolas power in Sicily, the Detroit Windsor crew, the whole partinico faction.
(And stepping outside the mafia Ivey, Detroit has like, some Hall Of fame drug gangs, I want you to consider what exactly would it take to be successful in the narcotics trade, you will quickly find it is not something limited by geography)
Also, I do consider your point, and I think the most likely New York gangster with all the components in place to dominate narcotics, was probably Joe Adonis.
Also, Drugs have basically Always changed the power structure in New York. It's a big point in the godfather, a powerful drug capo, that actually has the power to hit The top boss, because the profit potential is so huge.Look at the three capos, all that was drugs. Gotti and castellano, drugs. Carlo breaking up Vito's ring so he could basically duplicate it. Galante hit, drugs. Look at Vito's drug ring, Evola,Ormento, Mazzie, drugs have a tendency to ignore traditional family hierarchies and alignments,men go where the money goes...
The Sicilians controlled the heroin trade, but were Anastasia or Costello Sicilian? Do you see Mangano being strong enough to control either of them? I see Mangano allying with Profaci, Bonnano, to curb Anastasias power the same way Costello allied with Anastasia to stave of genovese. I see Profaci allied with zerilli, Bonnano, MAggadino, possibly Gagliano too. Even if not Gagliano, that's possible three commission votes, how many would they need for controlling influence. Again these rivalries make charting the flow of power a lot more complicated than just, well the genovese are the strongest.
Alfa, you make a concise, reasonable perfectly logical argument, but I want to ask you something; Do you subscribe to the theory of Liberal and Conservative factions on the commission in the 40s? It's something I feel gets really overlooked; IT seems to be LUciano/Chicago, Profaci/Bonnano/MAggadino/zerilli definitely, with Mangano/Gagliano possibly with the conservative Faction. Consider MAngano, he couldn't control Anastasia, and a lot of this was based on the fact that he was close to Costello and Luciano. So when Lucky goes away, he breathes a little easier, why I believe he would throw in with the Profaci faction.
But hey, I'm just a reader, lol any thoughts on any of this silliness?

Prior to the 1930s you may have a point about the Jewish gangsters and the drug trade but that really began to change in the 1930s as the Italians consolidated their power, to say nothing of the 1940s and 1950s.

Drugs has obviously been a factor in both the day to day operations and maneuverings of the mob. What I don't agree with is your theory that Detroit's control of the drug trade (which remains debatable in itself) would directly and significantly change the mob power structure in NY. Especially during the era in question which the mob was not as involved in narcotics as it would be in later years. If we were talking about a drug cartel which is basically a one trick pony, that would be one thing, but the mob has always been much more diversified.

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: CabriniGreen] #857880
08/28/15 05:13 AM
08/28/15 05:13 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline OP
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline OP
C
Underboss
Chicago
Control might be a bad term, more like they had the most reliable, consistent, dependable pipeline. At all points, they had big influence, from political connects in Sicily, to mafia family members with access to opium growers in turkey, mafia family members in the U.S. To receive the dope, connects to the teamsters to move it around the country, and a ready made distribution network of costa nostra crews to move it. They also seemed to have been open to working with African American gangs to further facilitate distribution.
You make money in drugs three ways, distribution (ormento, Nickey Barnes)
Importation/transportation (think MIckey Munday, maybe Carlos Lehder, the Mexicans after Medellin, original Bugs n Meyer gang, though that was liquor)
And production (French Corsicans, Colombians,ect...)
At the time we are discussing, THe five families seem to possess maybe one or two of these components, but DEtroit is seemingly the only one with all three firmly in their control. It seems getting opium from the Middle East was a kind of cutting edge thing, as was previously stated, for years the stuff was coming from China and whatnot, through Jewish gangsters.
I took the three components I listed, and by process of elimination, tried to s e who in New York had all three, to me Joe Adonis looks good for it, but EVEN HE has Detroit ties with ford so....

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: CabriniGreen] #857881
08/28/15 05:20 AM
08/28/15 05:20 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline OP
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline OP
C
Underboss
Chicago
Ooh, something I left out, apparently Windsor was a huge Hüb for trade, as such it's like Detroit had control over their own dock, maybe they could actually bypass the New York docks, would explain even more...

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: CabriniGreen] #857882
08/28/15 05:22 AM
08/28/15 05:22 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline OP
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline OP
C
Underboss
Chicago
From what I understand they set up the blueprint for the trans-Atlantic mafia family duplicated first by BOnnano, then GAmbino, then Rizzuto...

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: CabriniGreen] #858032
08/29/15 03:17 AM
08/29/15 03:17 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline OP
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline OP
C
Underboss
Chicago
Ok, new stuff, looks like from what I've read, Vito had a pipeline getting opium from turkey, and moved it through the KAnsas City family possibly;
Also NEw York appears to have replaced the Far East with Mexico as a source of opiates, BUgsy Siegel looks to be on the scene in Mexico, dope was apparently shipped to new Yorks Harlem wing, Adonis figures heavily as well;
And yet Coppola set up shop in MExico after he was deported, looks like he absorbed the pipeline that buggy and Virginia hill helped set up, any thought on this??

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: IvyLeague] #858198
08/30/15 12:18 PM
08/30/15 12:18 PM
Texas
TonyG Offline
Capo
TonyG  Offline
Capo
Texas

What I don't agree with is your theory that Detroit's control of the drug trade (which remains debatable in itself)...

There is testimony from Siragusa to the a Senate Committee that Detroit and St Louis had the largest heroin pipeline and were selling into NY, for a period of time. Not trying to start a pissing match, but what is debatable?

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: TonyG] #858218
08/30/15 05:19 PM
08/30/15 05:19 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: TonyG

What I don't agree with is your theory that Detroit's control of the drug trade (which remains debatable in itself)...

There is testimony from Siragusa to the a Senate Committee that Detroit and St Louis had the largest heroin pipeline and were selling into NY, for a period of time. Not trying to start a pissing match, but what is debatable?

Do you have a link or source for this statement of his?

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: CabriniGreen] #858250
08/31/15 02:44 AM
08/31/15 02:44 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline OP
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline OP
C
Underboss
Chicago
Here's something...https://books.google.com/books?id=YMpNBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT153&lpg=PT153&dq=siragusa+detroit+mafia&source=bl&ots=ZbQLoBABl2&sig=HfXZG26Iww8DIe-_j9t_6uyL82s&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CC4Q6AEwBWoVChMIwLK6u9vSxwIVTBGSCh18oQDQ#v=onepage&q=siragusa%20detroit%20mafia&f=false

Re: Who was the King Of Dope? Bonnano-Luchesse-Genoves [Re: CabriniGreen] #858251
08/31/15 02:47 AM
08/31/15 02:47 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline OP
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline OP
C
Underboss
Chicago

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull