GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 281 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,916
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,330
Posts1,058,779
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News #843988
05/30/15 10:33 AM
05/30/15 10:33 AM
G
GaryMartin Offline OP
Underboss
GaryMartin  Offline OP
G
Underboss

Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: GaryMartin] #843989
05/30/15 11:03 AM
05/30/15 11:03 AM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

That was probaly gotti greatest day as boss. He must have really. Even feeling himself. With chin gone everyone thinks no bail. Whose gonna get in johns way. Vic n gas are running. I wonder if there was a party. That be good question for scars to talk about. The boy in the striped pajamas sad fucking movie its what chins wearing under the rob. Taking break cutting bushes its hot. Field of dreams is on really making me feel old I didn't even remember henry hill is in it.

Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: pmac] #843998
05/30/15 11:52 AM
05/30/15 11:52 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: pmac
That was probaly gotti greatest day as boss. He must have really. Even feeling himself. With chin gone everyone thinks no bail. Whose gonna get in johns way. Vic n gas are running. I wonder if there was a party. That be good question for scars to talk about. The boy in the striped pajamas sad fucking movie its what chins wearing under the rob. Taking break cutting bushes its hot. Field of dreams is on really making me feel old I didn't even remember henry hill is in it.

Meanwhile, as it happened, Chin was released, got adjournment after adjournment, psych test after psych test, and had another seven years on the street. Gotti had another seven months.

I hope John enjoyed May to December of 1990, because it was the last time he ever really saw the light of day. And if Chin didn't die, he had a shot at coming home one day. John had no shot at all.

But Chin and Gotti were apples and oranges. The comparisons are ridiculous. Chin had a thirty-five year run as skipper, then boss. Gotti had five years at the top, and spent almost two of them in lock-up awaiting trial on the RICO and O'Connor cases.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: GaryMartin] #844003
05/30/15 12:24 PM
05/30/15 12:24 PM
NY
B
blacksheep Offline
Underboss
blacksheep  Offline
B
Underboss
NY
It's funny hearing the old wiretaps of gotti talking about how he would rather spend his whole life in jail rather than living like Chin was with his fake mental illness. Welp, he got his wish. Now he is a joke among people who know the mob, but at least a bunch of 14 year old suburban punks have a gotti poster on their wall. I guess that counts for something....

Make that coffee to go
Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: GaryMartin] #844007
05/30/15 01:19 PM
05/30/15 01:19 PM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss
John willed it to happen. It's almost like he wanted it. He had this weird thing where he wanted everyone to know he was a gangster. Ego.

When Interpol?
Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: GaryMartin] #844010
05/30/15 01:34 PM
05/30/15 01:34 PM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
For all the "shitheads" in that life, a couple guys got it ,and he got it ...

And I don't mean John !

Last edited by Serpiente; 05/30/15 01:35 PM.

Cackling like a banty Rooster.

I love this," "I just love this."
Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: cheech] #844013
05/30/15 02:22 PM
05/30/15 02:22 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: cheech
He had this weird thing where he wanted everyone to know he was a gangster. Ego.

That was always more prevalent in Brooklyn and Southern Queens than in Manhattan and the Bronx. They liked to wear it on their sleeve a little more out that way

Don't get me wrong, there were flashy guys here, too. That's not my point. But as a whole, they really seemed to like the attention a little more out in Brooklyn than in Harlem, Little Italy and the Bronx. Different schools.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: GaryMartin] #844014
05/30/15 02:27 PM
05/30/15 02:27 PM
CT
M
mightyhealthy Offline
Underboss
mightyhealthy  Offline
M
Underboss
CT
Wait, so gigante was arrested in '90 and they let him out? For seven years?? I feel like that would never happen today.

Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: GaryMartin] #844017
05/30/15 03:53 PM
05/30/15 03:53 PM
Snakes Offline
Underboss
Snakes  Offline
Underboss
Well, he had everyone so fooled that he was nuts he avoided trial for 7 years.

"Snakes... Snakes... I don't know no Snakes."
Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: GaryMartin] #844035
05/30/15 07:14 PM
05/30/15 07:14 PM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Nice article thanks

"My uncle(Nicky Scarfo) always told me, you have to use your brains in this thing, and you always have to use the gun." -"crazy" Phil Leonetti-
Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: Snakes] #844036
05/30/15 07:16 PM
05/30/15 07:16 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Snakes

And like I said, he had a livable release date, unlike Gotti. That he died in prison is irelevant.

Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: Snakes] #844037
05/30/15 10:24 PM
05/30/15 10:24 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Snakes

He avoided trial longer than that. His crazy act kept him on the street for decades, even back in the early 1970's when he was a captain. He might very well have ended up in the Commission case otherwise and been imprisoned in the mid-1980's. It took the feds until 1990 to indict him and 7 more years after that to convict him.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: GaryMartin] #844040
05/30/15 11:10 PM
05/30/15 11:10 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
I don't care what anyone says, Gigante was a smart MF'er pulling off that act. Like has been said, that kept him on the start for a long time. Hell I would have done the same if I was in his shoes.

You can either go the flashy route like Gotti and only make it a few years after becoming boss, or acting crazy while only in public and make it a long time after becoming boss. I say a long time but I'm not sure when he became boss so I can't say. Gotti can say he looked stupid trying the crazy act, but that crazy act worked yet Gotti's "I'll sever your MF'ing head off" act had him locked up pretty quick.

Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: dixiemafia] #844043
05/30/15 11:43 PM
05/30/15 11:43 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: dixiemafia
I don't care what anyone says, Gigante was a smart MF'er pulling off that act. Like has been said, that kept him on the start for a long time. Hell I would have done the same if I was in his shoes.

You can either go the flashy route like Gotti and only make it a few years after becoming boss, or acting crazy while only in public and make it a long time after becoming boss. I say a long time but I'm not sure when he became boss so I can't say. Gotti can say he looked stupid trying the crazy act, but that crazy act worked yet Gotti's "I'll sever your MF'ing head off" act had him locked up pretty quick.

It seems to be the general consensus that Chin was smart. Gravano wrote in his book that Gotti himself said Chin was "smart as a fox" after their Commission meeting. Several FBI agents, NYPD detectives, and prosecutors even had a grudging respect for Chin's ability as boss, as well as his success in eluding them for so long. Probably the only guy who would take exception would be Casso who was pissed at Chin for not taking his advice to kill Savino.

But, even taking that costly screw up into consideration, it doesn't change the overall picture of Chin's remarkable success as boss of the family. He took over in 1981 - just as the feds started to go hard against the Mafia. And he lasted for 16 years during the mob-busting 1980's and 1990's until they were finally able to put him behind bars. To this day the feds still largely credit the Genovese family's ongoing secrecy and success to Chin, including his ability to choose and promote loyal captains. Guys who would eventually take after he stepped back to a degree after his 1990 indictment, his imprisonment in 1997, and after his death in 2005.

Looking back, his ability to not be indicted in the Commission case and remain on the street was crucial. Many look at the Commission case as a watershed moment for the crusade against the mob. Capable, sophisticated, and experienced old time bosses were imprisoned (or killed in Castellano's case) and replaced by less capable successors who's leadership (or lack thereof) led to guys flipping, internal fighting, and more indictments. But much of this didn't happen in the Genovese family. If you look back at articles in the 1990's, the Genovese are often described as maintaining their strength and position while the other families were declining to one degree or another. And even when the feds had success and were able to indict top Genovese guys, they were the first to almost automatically cut their losses by taking plea deals. And the more secretive, sophisticated, and capable organization and members the family had allowed it to weather repeated onslaughts by law enforcement better than the other families.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: GaryMartin] #844107
05/31/15 04:48 PM
05/31/15 04:48 PM
DiLorenzo Offline
Underboss
DiLorenzo  Offline
Underboss
I still have the VHS tape i used to record the special channel 5 news had with these busts..Of course they focused on Gigante, had a reporter on Sullivan St. interviewed a couple of neighbors etc...It was a good special..Mcdonald the prosecutor and William Bastone were the guests...Good stuff !!

Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: GaryMartin] #844113
05/31/15 06:26 PM
05/31/15 06:26 PM
D
Dbm7 Offline
Button
Dbm7  Offline
D
Button
I read on here, someone wrote quiet Dom is running things? Then again I also read he has retired

Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: Dbm7] #844114
05/31/15 06:35 PM
05/31/15 06:35 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Dbm7
I read on here, someone wrote quiet Dom is running things? Then again I also read he has retired

He's out, except for some trucking in Jersey and his old shy book, which are both in the hands of one of his closest friends. The guy never leaves home anymore. Case closed.

Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: GaryMartin] #844122
05/31/15 08:14 PM
05/31/15 08:14 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Until further info comes out, we're left to speculate about the top Genovese leadership at this point.

In 2009 it was reported the family was being run by a "rotating panel" of recently released members including Benny Mangano, Ernie Muscarella, Barney Bellomo, and Larry Dentico.

In 2011, it was reported that Tino Fiumara had been on a 3 man panel running the family before his death. The other 2 guys weren't mentioned.

In 2014, it was reported the family still likely uses a rotating panel of leaders to run day-to-day affairs to avoid any one boss from being targeted by prosecutors.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 05/31/15 08:14 PM.

Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: IvyLeague] #844125
05/31/15 08:24 PM
05/31/15 08:24 PM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: dixiemafia

It seems to be the general consensus that Chin was smart. Gravano wrote in his book that Gotti himself said Chin was "smart as a fox" after their Commission meeting. Several FBI agents, NYPD detectives, and prosecutors even had a grudging respect for Chin's ability as boss, as well as his success in eluding them for so long. Probably the only guy who would take exception would be Casso who was pissed at Chin for not taking his advice to kill Savino.

But, even taking that costly screw up into consideration, it doesn't change the overall picture of Chin's remarkable success as boss of the family. He took over in 1981 - just as the feds started to go hard against the Mafia. And he lasted for 16 years during the mob-busting 1980's and 1990's until they were finally able to put him behind bars. To this day the feds still largely credit the Genovese family's ongoing secrecy and success to Chin, including his ability to choose and promote loyal captains. Guys who would eventually take after he stepped back to a degree after his 1990 indictment, his imprisonment in 1997, and after his death in 2005.

Looking back, his ability to not be indicted in the Commission case and remain on the street was crucial. Many look at the Commission case as a watershed moment for the crusade against the mob. Capable, sophisticated, and experienced old time bosses were imprisoned (or killed in Castellano's case) and replaced by less capable successors who's leadership (or lack thereof) led to guys flipping, internal fighting, and more indictments. But much of this didn't happen in the Genovese family. If you look back at articles in the 1990's, the Genovese are often described as maintaining their strength and position while the other families were declining to one degree or another. And even when the feds had success and were able to indict top Genovese guys, they were the first to almost automatically cut their losses by taking plea deals. And the more secretive, sophisticated, and capable organization and members the family had allowed it to weather repeated onslaughts by law enforcement better than the other families.

Well put ivy

"My uncle(Nicky Scarfo) always told me, you have to use your brains in this thing, and you always have to use the gun." -"crazy" Phil Leonetti-
Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: GaryMartin] #844144
06/01/15 07:23 AM
06/01/15 07:23 AM
BennyB Offline
Made Member
BennyB  Offline
Made Member
Quote:
A subpoena server in the mid-’80s found him in his shower, naked with an umbrella over his head.

lol lol lol

Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: blacksheep] #844146
06/01/15 07:58 AM
06/01/15 07:58 AM
L
lefty_two_guns Offline
Button
lefty_two_guns  Offline
L
Button
Originally Posted By: blacksheep
It's funny hearing the old wiretaps of gotti talking about how he would rather spend his whole life in jail rather than living like Chin was with his fake mental illness. Welp, he got his wish. Now he is a joke among people who know the mob, but at least a bunch of 14 year old suburban punks have a gotti poster on their wall. I guess that counts for something....

can i put this out there i was always a bit concerned why gotti was not killed for taking out a boss he did not have the ok i think, but what if he made a deal that fitted with his ego to become the lighting rod just a thought

Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: lefty_two_guns] #844166
06/01/15 11:35 AM
06/01/15 11:35 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: lefty_two_guns
Originally Posted By: blacksheep

can i put this out there i was always a bit concerned why gotti was not killed for taking out a boss he did not have the ok i think, but what if he made a deal that fitted with his ego to become the lighting rod just a thought

What do you mean? He was the real target when Frankie DeCicco got blown up. And if he wasn't tipped by the Feds, the Manna plot probably would have worked.

They plotted to kill him at least twice. The idea that he agreed to be the lightning rod--with his ego, and after at least two attempts on his life--isn't remotely possible.

And that's no offense to you, Lefty. I think you're a quality poster who never makes any trouble here smile.

Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: GaryMartin] #844167
06/01/15 11:53 AM
06/01/15 11:53 AM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
Like I posted at the start of this thread . There are many guys in that life and only a very small amount get it " The Chin got it "

He knew there was a billion dollars and three hundred men and women trying to take down 7 guys in that life.

With odds like that he knew he better act crazy..and keep his name out of everyone mouth.

If each family had a guy like him at the top things would have been different.....

Most people that just read about this stuff have no clue how much work and smarts and complete dedication it demands .

If not you wind up dead in the street...or worse in prison for 40 years...

Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: GaryMartin] #844170
06/01/15 12:22 PM
06/01/15 12:22 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Seems chins capos were more relaxed then the blood thirsty fellow capos in the other families. More about the money. Chin killed a lot but he's guys are still in charge today were gottis all been forgotten. Its funny that Benny eggs still had say after release up to a few years ago so old did 15 years. That rotating panel works. Keeps everyone ego in place I wonder if its a rule every 365 new guys. Some go back to semi retirement upon a call. Game of thrones was fucking great last night

Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: Serpiente] #844174
06/01/15 12:31 PM
06/01/15 12:31 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Serpiente
Most people that just read about this stuff have no clue how much work and smarts and complete dedication it demands .

Spot-fucking-on.

And that's no offense to anyone. You can't help where you were born. But there are certain aspects of the life that you can't completely grasp unless you grew up around it. And we have a lot of great researchers here. You guys know who you are and you're all my friends. So please don't take offense. When it comes to the actual history of LCN in America, you boys know more than I do. I know what I know due to certain circumstances, and I don't care what happened in 1930. You guys are invaluable when it comes to providing that stuff, and we're all grateful for it.

But when it comes to the actual mindset of these guys, I'm sorry, if you didn't come up around them, you'll never completely "get it," and you can't tell me what actually "drives" these guys.

Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: GaryMartin] #844176
06/01/15 12:36 PM
06/01/15 12:36 PM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss
Well said Serp. We don't always agree but lately,you've been making sense. smile

When Interpol?
Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: BennyB] #844177
06/01/15 01:01 PM
06/01/15 01:01 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Originally Posted By: BennyB
Quote:
A subpoena server in the mid-’80s found him in his shower, naked with an umbrella over his head.

lol lol lol

He had the drop on him showing up and played it perfectly. He could have also been called to testify I imagine.

Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: GaryMartin] #844186
06/01/15 01:55 PM
06/01/15 01:55 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

They ever come out with a capo chart for chin like gotti had his 21? Fish cafaro must have I'd them all wonder how many and who. The capo running mass/ct 1990 was one of the scibelli brothers there crew one of so many was big. 10 made guys and a lot of associates.

Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: cheech] #844217
06/01/15 04:07 PM
06/01/15 04:07 PM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: cheech
Well said Serp. We don't always agree but lately,you've been making sense. smile

I knew you cared ...

Anyway were have you been ,don't see you posting much ?
And just look at your avatar you are fading away ..lol

Re: Gigante Arrest 25 yrs. Ago - NY Daily News [Re: pizzaboy] #844218
06/01/15 04:14 PM
06/01/15 04:14 PM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Serpiente

Spot-fucking-on.

And that's no offense to anyone. You can't help where you were born. But there are certain aspects of the life that you can't completely grasp unless you grew up around it. And we have a lot of great researchers here. You guys know who you are and you're all my friends. So please don't take offense. When it comes to the actual history of LCN in America, you boys know more than I do. I know what I know due to certain circumstances, and I don't care what happened in 1930. You guys are invaluable when it comes to providing that stuff, and we're all grateful for it.

But when it comes to the actual mindset of these guys, I'm sorry, if you didn't come up around them, you'll never completely "get it," and you can't tell me what actually "drives" these guys.

PB thanks I did not mean to offend anyone(and I know you did not mean it like that) ,dam I don't or could not find a dam thing like these researchers here .
I also know not everyone grew up in these city's that have been known for OC .
I thank them cos it sure makes it a better read when they are able to make sense out of what I post...

Bunch of good posters here ,thanks all...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull