GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
6 registered members (Malavita, dsd, VanillaLimeCoke, The_Marble_Guy, Lou_Para, 1 invisible), 190 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,461
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,874
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,321
Posts1,058,566
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What makes the mob different from a gang #842177
05/16/15 06:58 AM
05/16/15 06:58 AM
NY
B
blacksheep Offline OP
Underboss
blacksheep  Offline OP
B
Underboss
NY
Back in the 90s and prior, LCN had all kinds of political connections and international dealings that made it stand out from a regular street gang. With their status these days, where most busts I read about is mid level drug stuff, is there much difference between them and the bloods and crips? Here and there you will read about some bust involving the garbage industry, but in general it seems like these guys are relegated to street level stuff. What are the perks these days? If these same new recruits just made their own gangs, they might even last longer on the streets with all the attention the mob gets. If I was a young criminal I would see the mob as a fast track to prison. Better to just rob houses by yourself and avoid the inevitable RICO charges

Make that coffee to go
Re: What makes the mob different from a gang [Re: blacksheep] #842192
05/16/15 09:00 AM
05/16/15 09:00 AM
B
Belmont Offline
Underboss
Belmont  Offline
B
Underboss
The mafia is much more organized and much more structured. They also engage in much more sophisticated crimes as well as controlling unions and various industries.
They also assimilate MUCH better than a gang. Gangs are for kids. Anyone in his 30's thats in a gang and wearing baggy pants needs to go see a shrink as well as take an IQ test.
I saw a documentary on MS13 and although they are violent, they looked ridiculous. Can you imagine one of those idiots controlling a construction site or controlling the garbage industry?? They NEVER would be able to do it. They lack the sophistication and will never assimilate. Gangs are more of a nuisance.
Most mob guys also conduct themselves MUCH better than any of these so called gang members.

Last edited by Belmont; 05/16/15 09:02 AM.
Re: What makes the mob different from a gang [Re: blacksheep] #842198
05/16/15 10:30 AM
05/16/15 10:30 AM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Cause there old white guys who blend into white america.

Re: What makes the mob different from a gang [Re: blacksheep] #842202
05/16/15 10:54 AM
05/16/15 10:54 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

I remember reading in The Goodfella Tapes one law enforcement official in Philadelphia say something like (referring to the mob), "We give them names and we put them on charts but they're really no different than the local drug gangs."

Still, some things set them apart. The ethnicity for one. Mob families are more dependent on illegal gambling while gangs are generally more dependent on drugs. The NY families, at least, are far more diversified than any gang as well as most other OC groups for that matter. Included in that would be what set the mob apart from every other group - labor racketeering and infiltration of legitimate industries (again mainly confined to NY). The political and police influence is largely a thing of the past. Other groups and gangs have their own structures, basis for membership, etc. but the mob's structure has proven to have greater longevity than most.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 05/16/15 10:55 AM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: What makes the mob different from a gang [Re: Belmont] #842211
05/16/15 12:04 PM
05/16/15 12:04 PM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Belmont
The mafia is much more organized and much more structured. They also engage in much more sophisticated crimes as well as controlling unions and various industries.
They also assimilate MUCH better than a gang. Gangs are for kids. Anyone in his 30's thats in a gang and wearing baggy pants needs to go see a shrink as well as take an IQ test.
I saw a documentary on MS13 and although they are violent, they looked ridiculous. Can you imagine one of those idiots controlling a construction site or controlling the garbage industry?? They NEVER would be able to do it. They lack the sophistication and will never assimilate. Gangs are more of a nuisance.
Most mob guys also conduct themselves MUCH better than any of these so called gang members.

it was well over ten years ago since i saw somebody wearing baggy pants

if u don't know the dresscode then u damn sure don't know the crimes "gangs" commit

the mobs in chicago don't call themselves gangs and there is always a chain of command

Re: What makes the mob different from a gang [Re: cookcounty] #842216
05/16/15 12:41 PM
05/16/15 12:41 PM
Bamboo Lounge
NickyEyes1 Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
NickyEyes1  Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
Underboss
Bamboo Lounge
Originally Posted By: cookcounty
Originally Posted By: Belmont

it was well over ten years ago since i saw somebody wearing baggy pants

if u don't know the dresscode then u damn sure don't know the crimes "gangs" commit

the mobs in chicago don't call themselves gangs and there is always a chain of command

Is that a joke?

Re: What makes the mob different from a gang [Re: blacksheep] #842222
05/16/15 02:05 PM
05/16/15 02:05 PM
NE1020 Offline
Made Member
NE1020  Offline
Made Member
The difference is that the mob pays gangs to do their dirty work for them

Re: What makes the mob different from a gang [Re: blacksheep] #842239
05/16/15 05:39 PM
05/16/15 05:39 PM
NY
B
blacksheep Offline OP
Underboss
blacksheep  Offline OP
B
Underboss
NY
I think some more established gangs have smaller street crews that do their dirty work in hopes to get known. Just like the farm teams for the Italians. Obviously there is union corruption that separates them, but I just think the gap is lessening.

Make that coffee to go
Re: What makes the mob different from a gang [Re: blacksheep] #842245
05/16/15 06:40 PM
05/16/15 06:40 PM
Mississippi - 662
B
BlackFamily Offline
Underboss
BlackFamily  Offline
B
Underboss
Mississippi - 662
It's a matter of characteristics and a couple of activities. Lets not forget that the origin of LCN is that of a gang and that their offshoots from sicily. Through coordinated leadership and maintaining an exclusive older membership is what set them mostly apart. Activities is only labor & union racketeering. As far as corruption goes that's everywhere in this country's past. Their was other criminal enterprises that had public officials on the payroll or payoff and that is evident in modern gangs today.

Structure is what keeping gangs going as well and possibly could outlast LCN due to fraternity concept along with vast membership.

All criminals are public nuisance period. You want to say bangers are more? Depends on the individuals not affiliation , remember I'm speaking through personal ties not just outside looking in.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spend the night with a mosquito.
- African Proverb
Re: What makes the mob different from a gang [Re: blacksheep] #842251
05/16/15 07:35 PM
05/16/15 07:35 PM
J
J1234 Offline
Associate
J1234  Offline
J
Associate
From what I can tell about Italian Gangs in NY. There basically a bunch of Italian guys who typically have relatives who are made, but will never be made themselves because they are typically wayyyy to wild, don't "follow" orders, and use drugs heavily and aspire to be made but they can't so they form and stay in a gang.

I do believe that most mobsters are 100% Trash, but there is some old timers out there who still believe in that old world tradition and cary themselves respectfully and like business men and not thugs. The ONLY thing being in a gang will do is hurt their families life, in regards to not caring about their wife and children. They live in the streets and enjoy the street life, to each is own.

Re: What makes the mob different from a gang [Re: blacksheep] #842258
05/17/15 12:50 AM
05/17/15 12:50 AM
CleanBandit Offline
Capo
CleanBandit  Offline
Capo
Loads of street gangs(or well, we should call them sets) have a certain structure.

My guess is, the main difference between the mob and the gang is that people who are in the mob are men, whereas a lot of gangs are made up of, well, kids in some cases. I understand that a lot of mob guys "grew up in the life", but in gangs you've got kids being jumped in at the age of 9-10-11 and are well into drugs and guns by the time they hit puberty. Not always, but quite often.

Re: What makes the mob different from a gang [Re: blacksheep] #842262
05/17/15 01:32 AM
05/17/15 01:32 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
All the mafia families started as street gang and for sure have a structure but with the prohibition and thanks to Lucky Luciano the families begane different from the gang.

First the division between associate and made man,the first can be non-italian the second must be full blooded italian;in the gangs for become a member must kill a people and the members age is very low even under 18;

Second in the mob for be made you must be a good earner or a stone cold killer (better if both of it) and usually the made men age is over 30;

Third the structure associate-made man and capo,you have your decina and take a share of the business of the men under you,and can be both white or blue collar crime,it's another difference with a gang that is involved only in street crime (drugs,murder,robbery ecc)

Fourth street gangs are visible and easily recognizable, use clothes with particular colors and tattoos visible even in the face, while the Mafia tend to blend into society and not be recognized.

Fifth the street gang members knows what expect him, or die young or end up in jail for a long time or for life, for which there are not many members of the crips or blood of 70 or 80 years, while the mobsters tend to accumulate money , to be able one day to retire and enjoy them; so they try in every way to don't go to jail for a long time because they know that the feds, will seize all the goods and money.

Re: What makes the mob different from a gang [Re: blacksheep] #842263
05/17/15 01:38 AM
05/17/15 01:38 AM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Yea it's crazy kids a at this age are willing and able to join a gang and most likely fire a weapon at someone. I'm almost 32 and still never shot one lol.

"My uncle(Nicky Scarfo) always told me, you have to use your brains in this thing, and you always have to use the gun." -"crazy" Phil Leonetti-
Re: What makes the mob different from a gang [Re: blacksheep] #842285
05/17/15 06:15 AM
05/17/15 06:15 AM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
The difference between the mob in the historical sense of the word, and a gang, was how they exerted influence.

Both have territories. Both bully people. But the mob used corrupted official institutions to influence others. Gangs just threatened physical violence. Before someone says that mob enforcers also threaten physical violence and extort people, you have to remember that the root of their extortionist power is corrupt police and judges.

So a gang will threaten to beat you up, but the mob will tell you they can beat you up if they want to and no one will protect you because the local cops and FBI are on the mob payroll, so pay up. And if you try to go to a cop or a fed and we find out, you will pay. We have informants.

The same theory extends to intra gang and inra mob affairs. In a gang, the strongest rule the weakest. It is a physical pecking order. In the mob, the most connected rule those less connected. The ones with the judges, cops, money, hitmen, etc, rule over their lessers, in the mob.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: What makes the mob different from a gang [Re: blacksheep] #842286
05/17/15 06:23 AM
05/17/15 06:23 AM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Someone here, a few of you in fact, said the mob's origin is a gang. I don't agree.

The mob's origin was of an organized underground vigilante movement rebellious to foreign invasion. The form it took was "families" ruled by patriarchal leaders. Back then, it was against the government, and for the people. Now it works with the government in many cases (corrupted LE agents) and is against the people. Back then, it carried out vigilante attacks against the members of the government and ruling class on behalf of the people. Now it uses the authority of government threaten people, with some degree of impunity and immunity.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: What makes the mob different from a gang [Re: blacksheep] #842289
05/17/15 07:51 AM
05/17/15 07:51 AM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Me and my childhood friend used to stick potatoes on the end of a long 22 rifle and shoot the attic 3 decker next store. My gang experience. The potatoe pop and it still be kinda loud dumb shit.

Re: What makes the mob different from a gang [Re: furio_from_naples] #842296
05/17/15 08:39 AM
05/17/15 08:39 AM
Mississippi - 662
B
BlackFamily Offline
Underboss
BlackFamily  Offline
B
Underboss
Mississippi - 662
@ Furio,

I will clarify some of your points since gangs have a large variety amongst themselves. Chicago mobs will be my main example due to their history and influence in my state.

1. Your right on the age of recruitment and it's generally around middle/high school age but it's can be upward to late 20a/early 30s. Originally the mobs only recruited from their own ethnic groups but became open to all in the late 70s. You don't kill to become a member since it varies from group to group. Generally Chicago mobs blessed their members based on loyalty and/or activities.

2. From their beginnings all the Chicago mobs have structure with various titles and members have to pay dues and kick up a portions of the drug proceeds and some other activities to the leadership. Mobs are involved in both white & blue collar crimes too.

3. That's a completely grey area in regards to easily identified. Yes some members are open and No others are incognito.

4. Truly can be said for both in the risk of their activities. Their are actually more adults than juveniles involved in activities but its not dire everywhere. More cooperation on rackets is the reason why violence have decline in certain places.

@Alfa Romeo,

Well I meant the American offshoots rooted in gang since forming in the ghettos of the past.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spend the night with a mosquito.
- African Proverb
Re: What makes the mob different from a gang [Re: BlackFamily] #842327
05/17/15 01:01 PM
05/17/15 01:01 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Despite the title of the thread.....op is really asking why a young street guy would become affiliated with the mob now?..He's saying that doing the same types of crimes bring less heat if you aren't under the banner of an lcn family.

Italian kid who decides to become a criminal...he's asking what's the benefit of doing under a family?

Re: What makes the mob different from a gang [Re: getthesenets] #842337
05/17/15 02:26 PM
05/17/15 02:26 PM
NY
B
blacksheep Offline OP
Underboss
blacksheep  Offline OP
B
Underboss
NY
Yeah pretty much that. There is a legitimate question of what separates them these days when corruption isn't as easy and the mob can't control a whole city like Vegas or AC. But yeah, specifically, for a young criminal, if u gave me a choice where I could either have a career that was up to me to ruin, or to put me in a group that has lessened street clout, lessened high stakes interests, and a big giant target for a RICO case to pull 200 of us at the same time, I would choose the solo option. Or with a small crew that hasn't been the focus of the fbi for decades

Make that coffee to go
Re: What makes the mob different from a gang [Re: blacksheep] #842338
05/17/15 02:28 PM
05/17/15 02:28 PM
NY
B
blacksheep Offline OP
Underboss
blacksheep  Offline OP
B
Underboss
NY
For example... I know a local guy that will sell you weed, take bets on a game, and even rough up someone if it comes to it (former boxer). He isn't affiliated with anyone and has a nice comfortable life. Put that same guy in the bonnano family with a crew of made guys, he would be doing 25 years in no time. That's what I mean

Make that coffee to go

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull