GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (2 invisible), 261 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,923
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,820
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Immediately After Mary's Murder #838118
04/17/15 03:21 PM
04/17/15 03:21 PM
T
ToadBrother Offline OP
Wiseguy
ToadBrother  Offline OP
T
Wiseguy
Maybe this is more a Godfather IV what-if question, but I'm curious as to what people think would have happened in the aftermath of the opera house attack.

I'm thinking more the Immobiliare deal than with the criminal side of the family. To my mind the Corleone crime organization was well and truly in Vincent's hands now, and chief lieutenants like Al Neri had sworn their fealty to him.

But Immobiliare was now Michael's, and he had made the final split between the legitimate and criminal parts of his empire by handing the latter over to Vincent.

The possibilities that come to mind are:

1. Anthony changes his mind and takes over the now fully legitimized part of the Corleone business.
2. Michael sells his business empire as he goes into permanent seclusion and exile in Sicily.
3. Michael still keeps his fingers on the strings, even if somewhat indirectly (he could have a proxy on the board, someone like Connie).
4. Other members of the family (like Connie or Sonny's children) take over.
5. Vincent takes control of the Corleone's legitimate business interests, including Immobiliare.

Re: Immediately After Mary's Murder [Re: ToadBrother] #838191
04/18/15 08:10 AM
04/18/15 08:10 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Michael cashes out, bestows lots of money on Kay, Anthony, Connie, Neri, etc., and lives in seclusion in Sicily until he dies like a dog.
Vinnie goes back to the Street cause thats what he knows, and maybe rehooks up with Brigit Fonda.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Immediately After Mary's Murder [Re: dontomasso] #838213
04/18/15 10:51 AM
04/18/15 10:51 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Michael cashes out, bestows lots of money on Kay, Anthony, Connie, Neri, etc., and lives in seclusion in Sicily until he dies like a dog.
Vinnie goes back to the Street cause thats what he knows, and maybe rehooks up with Brigit Fonda.

DT, I agree with all you suggest except Vinnie's role. I think Vinnie would have tried to continue the hegemony of the Corleones in NY, but would have been successfully challenged by the other families.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Immediately After Mary's Murder [Re: olivant] #838247
04/18/15 05:44 PM
04/18/15 05:44 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I question whether Michael would have gotten Immobiliare. Didn't he need the Vatican's assent? Cardinal Lamberto may have been on his side, but Lamberto was murdered. Who took his place? And, though he arranged for Lucchese to be killed, did that guarantee that all blocks to his acquisition of Immobiliare were removed? The violence at the opera house, coupled with all those assassinations that could be linked to Michael's interests, may have permanently put the kaibosh on Michael and Immobiliare.

I think the real poignancy of Michael's wail after Mary died was his realization that all of his lifetime struggles came to naught. Maybe, after a lifetime of trying to be "strong" for his family, Michael finally succumbed to weakness and despair. I think it's possible he simply walked away from the family enterprises and never left Sicily. If that happened, Vincent, whom he had anointed as "Vincent Corleone," would have made a claim for everything. I don't see Anthony as a player--the murder of his sister would have deepened his revulsion for the family business. Connie may have thought herself a player, but I doubt she would have challenged Vincent.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Immediately After Mary's Murder [Re: ToadBrother] #838281
04/19/15 07:52 AM
04/19/15 07:52 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Exactly TB. As one of the Vatican meeting participants stated (paraphrase):"If the Pope dies, then as you Americans say, all bets are off." The Pope had to ratify the sale of Immobliere.

Yes, Michael's silent scream was, as you state, Michael's realization in that moment that everything in his life was for nothing. "I spent my life protecting my family." He failed because of his avarice; the depression wold have been overwhelming.

Re: Immediately After Mary's Murder [Re: olivant] #838383
04/20/15 10:00 AM
04/20/15 10:00 AM
T
ToadBrother Offline OP
Wiseguy
ToadBrother  Offline OP
T
Wiseguy
Just so I'm not misunderstanding, it was my understanding the Pope had consented to the Immobliere deal just hours before he was poisoned. Michael and Vincent tried to save the Pope, but were too late.

So Michael now controlled Immobliere.

Re: Immediately After Mary's Murder [Re: ToadBrother] #840821
05/05/15 08:06 AM
05/05/15 08:06 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I think he did get Immobiliare, but after Mary's death it meant nothing to him. I think he would have cashed out, and the European guys gladly paid.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Immediately After Mary's Murder [Re: ToadBrother] #840827
05/05/15 08:37 AM
05/05/15 08:37 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
There's nothing in the film to indicate whether or not the Pope ratified Michael's acquisition of Immobliere. Given that that part of the film is based on Pope John Paul I's untimely death followed by Pope John Paul II's administration, I don't think we can assume that Immobliere was ratified. However, if it was, it was a moot point for Michael as DT expresses.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull