GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 136 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,886
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,325
Posts1,058,642
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Agent Joe Pistone---why the hate? [Re: Alfa Romeo] #833607
03/19/15 05:24 PM
03/19/15 05:24 PM
RedBullets Offline
Button
RedBullets  Offline
Button
Originally Posted By: Alfa Romeo
Here's my question:

If Donnie Brasco aka Joe Pistone, would have lost the sitdown over the Lefty Guns vs Tony Mirra beef, would we have even heard of him?

You're assuming he would have gotten killed?

Re: Agent Joe Pistone---why the hate? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #833611
03/19/15 05:52 PM
03/19/15 05:52 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
and I have always said that he picked the right family to infiltrate, he could never have gone that deep in any other family except the bonannos

Please elaborate.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Agent Joe Pistone---why the hate? [Re: Sonny_Black] #833618
03/19/15 09:52 PM
03/19/15 09:52 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
and I have always said that he picked the right family to infiltrate, he could never have gone that deep in any other family except the bonannos

Please elaborate.

the bonannos were the littlest family, and I don't believe they were as strong as any other family.

when piston went under. Im assuming the FBI had a very good reason for infiltrating that family. I can't see him getting very far in the Gambino's, or any of the other families that had an acting boss, wasn't rastelli in prison when pistone first went undercover?

wasn't there a lot of confusion in that family at that time?

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: Agent Joe Pistone---why the hate? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #833680
03/20/15 11:53 AM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Good point about Rastelli. Often a boss is someone concerned about being implicated by association. With Rastelli in prison, there were less checks and balances over the people who recklessly let Pistone in.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: Agent Joe Pistone---why the hate? [Re: RedBullets] #833681
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: RedBullets
Originally Posted By: Alfa Romeo
Here's my question:

If Donnie Brasco aka Joe Pistone, would have lost the sitdown over the Lefty Guns vs Tony Mirra beef, would we have even heard of him?

You're assuming he would have gotten killed?

Yes.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: Agent Joe Pistone---why the hate? [Re: Alfa Romeo] #833705
03/20/15 01:16 PM
03/20/15 01:16 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
[quote=Alfa Romeo] Good point about Rastelli. Often a boss is someone concerned about being implicated by association. With Rastelli in prison, there were less checks and balances over the people who recklessly let Pistone in. [/quote/]

yes, alfa, I think the FBI would pick the family that they thought would be the easiest to penetrate, there may be a lot we don't know about the bonanno's that the FBI knew that anyone else didn't.

and im quite positive that rastelli in prison, influenced their decision to put pistone in that family. I seriously don't think he would have gone as far as he did with any other family.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: Agent Joe Pistone---why the hate? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #833708
03/20/15 01:55 PM
03/20/15 01:55 PM
PA/FL
oldschool3 Offline
Capo
oldschool3  Offline
Capo
PA/FL
[quote=Alfa Romeo] Good point about Rastelli. Often a boss is someone concerned about being implicated by association. With Rastelli in prison, there were less checks and balances over the people who recklessly let Pistone in. [/quote/]

yes, alfa, I think the FBI would pick the family that they thought would be the easiest to penetrate, there may be a lot we don't know about the bonanno's that the FBI knew that anyone else didn't.

and im quite positive that rastelli in prison, influenced their decision to put pistone in that family. I seriously don't think he would have gone as far as he did with any other family.

I'm not quite sure about that Binnie. In Pistone's book, he starts out by trying to penetrate the Colombo's. I don't think that he was even "aiming" for them so much as that's who he had his first contact with so to speak...just my two cents.

Re: Agent Joe Pistone---why the hate? [Re: oldschool3] #833714
03/20/15 02:20 PM
03/20/15 02:20 PM
C
conopizza Offline
Button
conopizza  Offline
C
Button
Originally Posted By: oldschool3

I'm not quite sure about that Binnie. In Pistone's book, he starts out by trying to penetrate the Colombo's. I don't think that he was even "aiming" for them so much as that's who he had his first contact with so to speak...just my two cents.

This is correct. While Pistone hooking up with Bonannos was fortuitous, after he makes his initial connections on the UES, he's out in Bensonhurst with Jilly Greca first; had things gone differently, he might well have gone further with Jilly's crew-- and might well have ended up like Jilly too.

Can't front on Pistone's ability to hang with a psychopath like Anthony Mirra but, as his prison record shows, Mirra wasn't the world's most careful gangster either.

Now here's a question: how many people in the FBI knew about both "Donnie Brasco" and their informant Gregory Scarpa? Had Pistone stayed longer with the Columbos, was there enough intelligence and communication to get him the fuck out before something happened?

Last edited by conopizza; 03/20/15 02:21 PM.
Re: Agent Joe Pistone---why the hate? [Re: alicecooper] #833715
03/20/15 02:31 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
Rastelli was in prison, the acting boss on the street was Salvatore Farruggia. Why do you think was he never indicted if Pistone worked so hard on the Bonanno family?

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Agent Joe Pistone---why the hate? [Re: oldschool3] #833716
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: oldschool3

good point, he made of played by ear , so to speak.

Re: Agent Joe Pistone---why the hate? [Re: alicecooper] #833719
03/20/15 02:38 PM
03/20/15 02:38 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
conopizza....I could be very wrong here, but, I don't think pistone knew about scarpa when he was under, but, if he was undercover in the columbo family with scarpa, and he knew about scarpa.

would he let scarpa get away with murder?

dwalin2011..... my guess he could never reach him. why do you think, seems an interesting question.

Re: Agent Joe Pistone---why the hate? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #833736
03/20/15 03:33 PM
03/20/15 03:33 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss

dwalin2011..... my guess he could never reach him. why do you think, seems an interesting question.

Pistone got evidence against Rastelli, they even severed him from the Commission trial so Pistone could testify. Theoretically Farruggia was Rastelli's eyes and hands out of prison, the link between him and the rest of the organization. So it's strange they could indict the imprisoned boss and low-level soldiers and made their case without indicting the middle-man as well.

Last edited by Dwalin2011; 03/20/15 03:33 PM.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Agent Joe Pistone---why the hate? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #833776
03/20/15 06:04 PM
03/20/15 06:04 PM
C
conopizza Offline
Button
conopizza  Offline
C
Button
conopizza....I could be very wrong here, but, I don't think pistone knew about scarpa when he was under, but, if he was undercover in the columbo family with scarpa, and he knew about scarpa.

would he let scarpa get away with murder?

Based on what we know I think that's right: Pistone wouldn't have known about Scarpa and I'm pretty sure he doesn't mention him in any of the books. Whereas Pistone does have that one glancing encounter with Carmine Persico, he's in car with Jilly (I think, might have been someone else) and that person was meeting Carmine on 3rd Avenue & Carroll St in Brooklyn (Gowanus neighborhood, edge of Persico stomping grounds, then very Italian and even with one Italian social club and one long 'associated' restaurant remaining today).

And of course it was safer for Pistone NOT to know & vice-versa, I just wonder how much oversight there was and, if he'd stayed, if he could have accidentally gotten caught up in the Columbo's homicidal madness.

Last edited by conopizza; 03/21/15 03:10 AM.
Re: Agent Joe Pistone---why the hate? [Re: alicecooper] #833796
03/20/15 08:56 PM
03/20/15 08:56 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Yea I don't think Pistone knew about Scarpa and no way Scarpa knew about him. I think at one point the Feds even had a file on Brasco because they thought he was a true player. They couldn't risk letting anyone in the FBI knowing he was undercover because if his name leaked he would have been dead for sure. I forget where, it might have been with Jimmy the Weasel and someone in Cleveland having a leak with FBI files to the gangsters that almost got him killed. The same could have happened with Pistone if it was well known with the Feds that someone was in with the Colombo's or Bonanno's.

Also I don't find it odd he wasn't around Massino much. I can't remember once again where I read this, but someone was complaining about they didn't know who the boss or their capo was and couldn't point them out if they were standing in front of them. Now that is some insulation. So if that was true at all then I don't find it surprising Donnie never was around Massino much.

Re: Agent Joe Pistone---why the hate? [Re: Dwalin2011] #833804
03/20/15 09:48 PM
03/20/15 09:48 PM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline
acting associate
mikeyballs211  Offline
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs
Dwalin thats a good question wonder why Farrugia was basically unscathed by Pistones investigation?

Was wondering did Farrugia have any role in Galantes killing? Wasnt he the street boss for Rusty at the same time Galante was making his power play? I may have my timeline fucked up and he was named street boss after Lilo was wacked , can anyone shed some light on this?

Who was Jilly Grecos capo at that time? In hindsight id like to think Pistone wouldnt have been able to infiltrate the stronger more stAble fams at that time like the Genovese or Gambinos...but ya never know look at Falcone's infiltrating the Gambinos in 2002 he was just basically around for less than a yr and according to him he was DePAlmas go too associate..idk how accurate that is but just finished his book, im sure a more knowledgeable poster can set the record straight

"No, no, you aint alrite Spyder you got alotta fuckin problems"
Re: Agent Joe Pistone---why the hate? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #834099
03/22/15 05:06 PM
03/22/15 05:06 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

Please elaborate.

the bonannos were the littlest family, and I don't believe they were as strong as any other family.

when piston went under. Im assuming the FBI had a very good reason for infiltrating that family. I can't see him getting very far in the Gambino's, or any of the other families that had an acting boss, wasn't rastelli in prison when pistone first went undercover?

wasn't there a lot of confusion in that family at that time?

The Colombos were the smallest family, followed by the Luccheses. Pistone did not have the option to choose a family. His mission simply was to infiltrate any of the Five Families, not a particular one. He first hang out with Colombo guys before affiliating himself with Mirra and Ruggiero, which was purely coincidental.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Agent Joe Pistone---why the hate? [Re: alicecooper] #834100
03/22/15 05:12 PM
03/22/15 05:12 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
That could have saved his life too. When was it the Colombo's had their many wars? I know much of nothing on them so bare with me.

Re: Agent Joe Pistone---why the hate? [Re: mikeyballs211] #834477
03/25/15 07:05 AM
03/25/15 07:05 AM
L
LurkerGuy Offline
Button
LurkerGuy  Offline
L
Button
Originally Posted By: mikeyballs211
Dwalin thats a good question wonder why Farrugia was basically unscathed by Pistones investigation?

Why not? He wasn't part of the Milwaukee operation that brought down Sabella and Marangello, and the later stuff (Florida, the capo murders) only led to indictments in the Motion Lounge crew.

Quote:

Who was Jilly Grecos capo at that time? In hindsight id like to think Pistone wouldnt have been able to infiltrate the stronger more stAble fams at that time like the Genovese or Gambinos...but ya never know look at Falcone's infiltrating the Gambinos in 2002 he was just basically around for less than a yr and according to him he was DePAlmas go too associate..idk how accurate that is but just finished his book, im sure a more knowledgeable poster can set the record straight

Greca was under Charlie Moose.

Pistone as part of the Bergin crew would be an interesting what-if.

Re: Agent Joe Pistone---why the hate? [Re: alicecooper] #834621
03/25/15 06:29 PM
03/25/15 06:29 PM
New York
PetroPirelli Offline
Underboss
PetroPirelli  Offline
Underboss
New York
This is a joke, right? WTF is with these threads.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull