GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 265 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,493
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,925
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,337
Posts1,058,843
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The butcher by Phil Carlo #829856
02/21/15 08:26 PM
02/21/15 08:26 PM
D
Dbm7 Offline OP
Button
Dbm7  Offline OP
D
Button
Do most of people he name drops exist? Like patty scifo, Toby Profetto, or even Phyllis burdi?

Re: The butcher by Phil Carlo [Re: Dbm7] #829890
02/22/15 05:24 AM
02/22/15 05:24 AM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
I forget a lot of the names in there cause it's been a while since I read the book. I know Phyllis Burdi was the junky friend of Pitera's girl.
She was with his girl when she overdosed.
Frank gangi was sleeping with her and doing coke all night when Pitera called him and Gangi said Burdi was there. That was the end of her.

"My uncle(Nicky Scarfo) always told me, you have to use your brains in this thing, and you always have to use the gun." -"crazy" Phil Leonetti-
Re: The butcher by Phil Carlo [Re: Dbm7] #829904
02/22/15 08:05 AM
02/22/15 08:05 AM
Castellammare del Golfo
Malandrino Offline
Underboss
Malandrino  Offline
Underboss
Castellammare del Golfo
Of course they exist, it's not fiction even though some might think so, being written by Philip Carlo and all. Maybe they changed the names a little, but I doubt it.

-I shot him a coupla' times.
-What's a couple?
-Hmm, more than a couple... Really I don't know the exact amount, maybe I shot him 10 times, 12 times?
-Maybe fifteen?
-Hmm, it could've been fifteen...

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso
Re: The butcher by Phil Carlo [Re: Dbm7] #829931
02/22/15 01:31 PM
02/22/15 01:31 PM
J
JerseyShine Offline
Made Member
JerseyShine  Offline
J
Made Member
The name of Tommy's "famous" karate teacher is made up (he's so famous you google his name and only references to the Butcher come up). So is the name of Tommy's son, and Carlo mixes up the name of another Pitera family member with his first wife.

Re: The butcher by Phil Carlo [Re: Dbm7] #829981
02/22/15 06:55 PM
02/22/15 06:55 PM
B
bigboy Offline
Underboss
bigboy  Offline
B
Underboss
It had to be hard for Carlo to write this story when he probably couldn't get much help from any of the players, so perhaps he did mix up a few names. Still a very good book. Supposedly there is supposed to be something coming out on Gangi however the person producing it has some serious credibility issues.

Re: The butcher by Phil Carlo [Re: Dbm7] #829987
02/22/15 08:42 PM
02/22/15 08:42 PM
J
JerseyShine Offline
Made Member
JerseyShine  Offline
J
Made Member
Carlo put together the book from news articles anyone could pull up from the early 90s, one chat he had in person with Gangi (you can see the picture in the book), and Agent Jim Hunt who also gave him a bunch of pictures in exchange for looking good. That is part of the reason why Carlo did not touch on how corrupt Group 33 was.

Supposedly Carlo had some weird obsession with Phyllis as well.

Re: The butcher by Phil Carlo [Re: Dbm7] #829988
02/22/15 08:43 PM
02/22/15 08:43 PM
J
JerseyShine Offline
Made Member
JerseyShine  Offline
J
Made Member
http://articles.philly.com/1991-08-19/news/25806856_1_drug-dealers-dea-s-office-agents

NEW YORK — A crack team of federal drug agents is being investigated for allegedly beating up suspects, snorting cocaine, gambling, having sex with an informant, and lying in court, the New York Daily News reported yesterday.

It was this unit, called Group 33, that arrested Daniele Giovannucci, 32, former part owner of Fante's, a popular South Philadelphia cookware store, and three other men last December in a Bucks County marijuana sting.

Agents seized $176,000 and a loaded gun, and had tape-recorded and videotaped evidence against the four, but the case was quietly dropped in April amid hints of government misconduct.

The now-disbanded drug team, a unit of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, was one of the DEA's most productive buy-and-bust teams. Without regard for their own safety, the group's members routinely broke down doors, often running into heavily armed drug dealers.

Probers are investigating whether eight to 10 members of the team, which operated out of a Manhattan office, improperly passed out drugs as samples to prospective buyers in undercover probes, sources in the Justice Department told the Daily News.

Because of the alleged activities of the rogue team, the government has dismissed at least two major drug cases, including the Philadelphia case, and dropped some charges.

After a pre-trial hearing in a Manhattan cocaine conspiracy case - involving three arrests and three kilograms of drugs - an angry federal judge said sworn statements by three of the agents were "riddled with falsehoods."

Last year, the government paid $125,000 to settle a suit in which several Group 33 agents, including James Hunt, a central figure in the probe, severely beat construction worker Steven Higgins of Staten Island outside a Manhattan bar. "It was a hell of a beating," said Higgins' attorney, Anthony Crecca.

Higgins, who suffered a fractured jaw, was also charged with assaulting federal agents.

The wide-ranging investigation is being conducted by assistant Manhattan U.S. Attorney Peter Vigiland and the DEA's Office of Professional Responsibility squad. It was triggered by a Brazilian woman, a DEA informant for 10 years, who has earned about $500,000 in federal reward money, the sources said.

She told investigators that she had sex with one of the agents and that the team provided her with drugs and gambled with her in Atlantic City.

On one gambling junket, she said, she lost $2,500, and Hunt and another agent arranged to get her an additional $2,500 by submitting phony vouchers.

Group 33 was broken up and Hunt placed in a headquarters unit early this year. Hunt did not respond to a request for comment. Another team member is under investigation for using cocaine, sources said.

For years, defense lawyers have argued that Group 33 agents used the ''anything goes" theory of law enforcement and routinely beat up unarmed suspects, an assertion that some prosecutors privately concede.

"Whenever I see defendants wearing bruises and bandages," said one federal drug prosecutor, "I always assume it's a Group 33 arrest."

However, no one denies the team has made hundreds of arrests and seized thousands of pounds of drugs while risking their lives.

In the Philadelphia case, charges against Giovannucci, who frequently appeared on the TV show, "The Frugal Gourmet," which Fante's sponsored, were dropped "in the interest of justice," according to the Philadelphia U.S. attorney's office.

Authorities declined to comment at the time when asked if there was any allegation of government misconduct in the investigation.

Giovannucci and three associates were arrested Dec. 7, after Giovannucci allegedly delivered a $176,000 deposit to a government informant at the Days Inn in Bensalem, Bucks County, unaware the meeting was being videotaped by authorities.

His attorney, Thomas C. Carroll, said at the time that "our position . . . was that the government had entered into an improper financial arrangement with its informant to entrap my client."

In a pretrial motion, Carroll noted that the government's informant, a woman who was not identified, in the last few years had earned close to $550,000 in commissions in "forfeiture cases" where the government confiscates all goods believed to be derived from the sale of illegal drugs.

In such cases, informants usually get 25 percent of whatever is confiscated, he said.

"Our point was with massive financial inducements like that, it gave her a reason to set the sting up in a way to further her own financial gain rather than to detect and prosecute drug dealers," Carroll said.

When his case was dismissed, Giovannucci said he was "pleased, frankly, that they've finally seen the light on this topic. I'm still disappointed, hurt and sad that it has taken them quite so long and effectively caused great damage to me."

Charges also were dismissed against the other defendants, Aca Blake, 31, of Callowhill Street near 17th, a male model, and Leonard Mills, 33, and Calvin Belin, 36, both of the Bronx, N.Y.

Re: The butcher by Phil Carlo [Re: Dbm7] #829989
02/22/15 08:46 PM
02/22/15 08:46 PM
J
JerseyShine Offline
Made Member
JerseyShine  Offline
J
Made Member
^^Those are the DEA Agents Carlo portrays as modern day Untouchables just in case it wasn't clear. In reality they were more like real life versions of Gary Oldman's character in "Leon."

The "Brazilian woman" is the one mentioned in Carlo's book. The part about beating up unarmed suspects should make you think about a certain mugshot.

Re: The butcher by Phil Carlo [Re: Dbm7] #829992
02/22/15 09:01 PM
02/22/15 09:01 PM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
The Pitera mugshot I'm assuming. Very interesting.

"My uncle(Nicky Scarfo) always told me, you have to use your brains in this thing, and you always have to use the gun." -"crazy" Phil Leonetti-
Re: The butcher by Phil Carlo [Re: Dbm7] #829999
02/22/15 10:46 PM
02/22/15 10:46 PM
J
JerseyShine Offline
Made Member
JerseyShine  Offline
J
Made Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISGDlvAqxmo

None of it hurt Jim Hunt's career too much. There is a defense attorney on the internet who claims Hunt threatened to kill him while his gun was on him in a courthouse.

Re: The butcher by Phil Carlo [Re: Dbm7] #830044
02/23/15 01:01 PM
02/23/15 01:01 PM
Castellammare del Golfo
Malandrino Offline
Underboss
Malandrino  Offline
Underboss
Castellammare del Golfo
I'm pretty sure it's true JerseyShine, but beating unarmed suspects really? It's not that uncommon in their line of work, to say the very least.

Find me a good cop who has never twisted laws and I'll find you a good mobster who you can bring home to marry your daughter.

-I shot him a coupla' times.
-What's a couple?
-Hmm, more than a couple... Really I don't know the exact amount, maybe I shot him 10 times, 12 times?
-Maybe fifteen?
-Hmm, it could've been fifteen...

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso
Re: The butcher by Phil Carlo [Re: Dbm7] #830052
02/23/15 02:39 PM
02/23/15 02:39 PM
J
JerseyShine Offline
Made Member
JerseyShine  Offline
J
Made Member
I don't disagree with that about cops, but too many people don't seem to want to get that memo. Group 33 went above and beyond so to speak.

Is there an any more un-American law enforcement agency than the DEA? I mean what a bunch of parasites, go get a real job you bums.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull