GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 142 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,771
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,322
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,413
Posts1,060,467
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
For the sins of my father #828937
02/16/15 12:30 PM
02/16/15 12:30 PM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline OP
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline OP
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Was wondering if anyone read this book yet.
For the sins of my father by Albert DeMeo.
Was either gonna start reading that or The enforcer about Tony Spilotro.

But I was curious about the Albert DeMeo book. Just because it's a family member and not the gangster. So wasn't sure how much action was really in the book.

I also have mob boss by al D'Arco. Any info on that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

"My uncle(Nicky Scarfo) always told me, you have to use your brains in this thing, and you always have to use the gun." -"crazy" Phil Leonetti-
Re: For the sins of my father [Re: PhillyMob] #828974
02/16/15 05:02 PM
02/16/15 05:02 PM
Castellammare del Golfo
Malandrino Offline
Underboss
Malandrino  Offline
Underboss
Castellammare del Golfo
I like the book. I've mentioned it before in other threads and the Mafia books thread. It's got some interesting bits and pieces and it's based on someone else's POV for a change, we all know how believable Montiglio really is. I'd give it a 3.5/5 at least.

It's basically what you expect, things are from Albert's point of view and Roy is portrayed as a family man. You should know Albert, even though a teen, was involved in a couple of things with Roy and helped him out quite a bit. Nothing really big, but collections, pickups, bringing him guns, delivering messages, etc.
Roy was killed on Albert's 17th birthday I think, the police knocked just when he was blowing his candles.
I thought the book was realistic and it left you feeling sorry for Albert. I believe he really did suffer a lot because of his father's name, mostly by the feds relentless prosecutions and hardon for him, wanting him to flip and testify against the rest of the crew.
You can tell he really loved his dad though. He claims Roy was a good family man and a great father when he was with Albert.
One of the biggest shocks to Albert was when Murder Machine came out, who he claims was exaggerated and not very accurate because it was based on Montiglio's version. He doesn't make no excuses though, he never claims his father was innocent.

I haven't read D'Arco's book.. I'm waiting for it to arrive, along with Murder Machine, Gotti's Rules, and a few others.

-I shot him a coupla' times.
-What's a couple?
-Hmm, more than a couple... Really I don't know the exact amount, maybe I shot him 10 times, 12 times?
-Maybe fifteen?
-Hmm, it could've been fifteen...

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso
Re: For the sins of my father [Re: Malandrino] #828989
02/16/15 06:24 PM
02/16/15 06:24 PM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline OP
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline OP
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Originally Posted By: Malandrino
I like the book. I've mentioned it before in other threads and the Mafia books thread. It's got some interesting bits and pieces and it's based on someone else's POV for a change, we all know how believable Montiglio really is. I'd give it a 3.5/5 at least.

It's basically what you expect, things are from Albert's point of view and Roy is portrayed as a family man. You should know Albert, even though a teen, was involved in a couple of things with Roy and helped him out quite a bit. Nothing really big, but collections, pickups, bringing him guns, delivering messages, etc.
Roy was killed on Albert's 17th birthday I think, the police knocked just when he was blowing his candles.
I thought the book was realistic and it left you feeling sorry for Albert. I believe he really did suffer a lot because of his father's name, mostly by the feds relentless prosecutions and hardon for him, wanting him to flip and testify against the rest of the crew.
You can tell he really loved his dad though. He claims Roy was a good family man and a great father when he was with Albert.
One of the biggest shocks to Albert was when Murder Machine came out, who he claims was exaggerated and not very accurate because it was based on Montiglio's version. He doesn't make no excuses though, he never claims his father was innocent.

I haven't read D'Arco's book.. I'm waiting for it to arrive, along with Murder Machine, Gotti's Rules, and a few others.

I thought murder machine was very good. That's what made me get Albert DeMeo book. I wanted to see the other side of Roy DeMeo.
It's good to hear different sides of the story ya know.
But definitely the most in depth book about the DeMeo crew and niƱo Gaggi.

I started reading mob boss. Not bad so far.

"My uncle(Nicky Scarfo) always told me, you have to use your brains in this thing, and you always have to use the gun." -"crazy" Phil Leonetti-
Re: For the sins of my father [Re: PhillyMob] #829195
02/18/15 12:34 PM
02/18/15 12:34 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
I thought it was a good book. Albert doesnt really makes any excuses for his father(unlike victoria gotti) but he does say he was a good family man despite his vicious reputation. Albert does provide some interesting information like meeting paul Castellano one time, the time when the gemini twins killed a cow and roy had to pay the farmer off, along with other things. He also has good information about the demeo crew. For example we all know Chris was basically like a family memeber. However Albert really disliked Anthony Senter

Re: For the sins of my father [Re: PhillyMob] #829409
02/19/15 03:11 PM
02/19/15 03:11 PM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline OP
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline OP
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Cool thank you for the responses guys. Much appreciated.

Re: For the sins of my father [Re: PhillyMob] #829964
02/22/15 05:16 PM
02/22/15 05:16 PM
B
bigboy Offline
Underboss
bigboy  Offline
B
Underboss
This is a good book in that it just shows DeMeo from a different perspective. I think it shows that these guys often do have another side. A good companion to Murder Machine which is also an excellent book.

Re: For the sins of my father [Re: bigboy] #830023
02/23/15 05:09 AM
02/23/15 05:09 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: bigboy
This is a good book in that it just shows DeMeo from a different perspective. I think it shows that these guys often do have another side. A good companion to Murder Machine which is also an excellent book.

True but even if he was a good father hat doesnt change what Roy did. Roy was a sociopath in the sense that he cared for his family but he didnt give a damn for you or your family.

Last edited by JCrusher; 02/23/15 05:09 AM.
Re: For the sins of my father [Re: PhillyMob] #830502
02/26/15 09:44 AM
02/26/15 09:44 AM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline OP
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline OP
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
I'm half way through the book right now and I must say I'm much more fascinated with Albert's story then I thought I would.
Funny stuff with what Roy did for al on his birthday with the hooker at the horse stalls.

Re: For the sins of my father [Re: PhillyMob] #830519
02/26/15 12:15 PM
02/26/15 12:15 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: PhillyMob
I'm half way through the book right now and I must say I'm much more fascinated with Albert's story then I thought I would.
Funny stuff with what Roy did for al on his birthday with the hooker at the horse stalls.

Yeah albert lived a very different life. On one hand Roy didnt want Albert involved yet on the other he was teaching how the best way to shoot/kill someone. What i liked about that book it was very honest. Even though Albert idolized his father he didnt sugarcoat the bad things his father did

Last edited by JCrusher; 02/26/15 12:16 PM.
Re: For the sins of my father [Re: JCrusher] #830538
02/26/15 03:22 PM
02/26/15 03:22 PM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline OP
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline OP
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Originally Posted By: JCrusher

Yeah albert lived a very different life. On one hand Roy didnt want Albert involved yet on the other he was teaching how the best way to shoot/kill someone. What i liked about that book it was very honest. Even though Albert idolized his father he didnt sugarcoat the bad things his father did

Yes I must agree. He tells it how it is and doesn't make excuses. It amazes me how much Roy was using Albert for his go betweens with the loansharking money at such a young age.
I would say it amazes me that a father would put his kid in those situations with criminal activity but look at everything Roy did. That was the least of his issues.
Good book so far. I definitely recommend it for those who like murder machine and anything with the DeMeo crew.

Re: For the sins of my father [Re: PhillyMob] #830858
02/27/15 06:43 PM
02/27/15 06:43 PM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline OP
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline OP
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Just finished the book. Awesome read. Can't believe how much shot Albert went through even after his fathers death. Just about his previous criminal career and what the government thought Albert knew. Better book then I thought it was gonna be though.

Re: For the sins of my father [Re: PhillyMob] #830861
02/27/15 07:01 PM
02/27/15 07:01 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Just finished the book. Awesome read. Can't believe how much shot Albert went through even after his fathers death. Just about his previous criminal career and what the government thought Albert knew. Better book then I thought it was gonna be though.

I agree, good book, this and The Butcher were really good reads.

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: For the sins of my father [Re: PhillyMob] #830912
02/28/15 03:26 AM
02/28/15 03:26 AM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline OP
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline OP
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Yea butcher was a good book. Carlo didn't live next door to Pitera so he wasn't trying to have his love child.

Re: For the sins of my father [Re: PhillyMob] #830936
02/28/15 06:52 AM
02/28/15 06:52 AM
Castellammare del Golfo
Malandrino Offline
Underboss
Malandrino  Offline
Underboss
Castellammare del Golfo
Just got Murder Machine, I've been wanting to read it for so long now. It's kind of a big deal to me because I live somewhere in Europe where these books about wiseguys are very difficult to find.

The Pitera book was alright, but most of it felt like fiction... he never interviewed Pitera. He only met Gangi ONCE and took a photo. The rest of the info came from the DEA guy and a bunch of old articles, yet the way he writes it's as if Carlo himself was there when things happened. Regardless I liked the whole chase in the book, the cat and mouse game of the determined DEA and the elusive and paranoid Pitera.

-What's a couple?
-Hmm, more than a couple... Really I don't know the exact amount, maybe I shot him 10 times, 12 times?
-Maybe fifteen?

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso
Re: For the sins of my father [Re: PhillyMob] #830942
02/28/15 07:54 AM
02/28/15 07:54 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Personally i liked sins of my father more than murder machine.

Re: For the sins of my father [Re: JCrusher] #831023
02/28/15 03:13 PM
02/28/15 03:13 PM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline OP
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline OP
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Originally Posted By: JCrusher
Personally i liked sins of my father more than murder machine.

I think I did to pal. But I must say that I think each book kind of completed each other. If you read one I think you should definetly read the other.

Re: For the sins of my father [Re: PhillyMob] #831063
02/28/15 05:25 PM
02/28/15 05:25 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
I also read albert demeo's book. it got pretty ugly when roy was on the run having the family move out of the house, his last year alive was hard for albert.

what im wondering is how much money roy left to his family, albert couldn't talk about that, or the IRS would be all over him.

im thinking he had some hidden.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: For the sins of my father [Re: PhillyMob] #831115
03/01/15 05:43 AM
03/01/15 05:43 AM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline OP
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline OP
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Yea he definetly had a nice chunk of money. Albert was still taking him and his friends on limo rides with hookers and spending like it was no tomorrow. I think a good while after he died.
I know Roy had legitimate interests that were still good when he died. But Albert was brought into the finances of the family at a young age. So he pretty much knew the ropes when he was older.

Re: For the sins of my father [Re: PhillyMob] #831189
03/01/15 06:05 PM
03/01/15 06:05 PM
Castellammare del Golfo
Malandrino Offline
Underboss
Malandrino  Offline
Underboss
Castellammare del Golfo
Albert was almost ruined financially I think. He implies he spent a lot of it on his escapades and friends after his father died and then the court troubles, the stupid marriage and divorce, she probably took him to the cleaners. I don't think he's got more than 20-30% of the original sum that Roy left him.

-What's a couple?
-Maybe fifteen?

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso
Re: For the sins of my father [Re: PhillyMob] #831217
03/02/15 03:18 AM
03/02/15 03:18 AM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline OP
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline OP
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Yea im sure Roy had a nice stash for him though. But I'm sure Albert blew through that.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull