GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 343 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,510
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,429
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. #827540
02/07/15 04:04 PM
02/07/15 04:04 PM
M
ManGauge Offline OP
Button
ManGauge  Offline OP
M
Button
Why wasnt he punished for bombing costellos grave? That was very disrespectful

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: ManGauge] #827541
02/07/15 04:07 PM
02/07/15 04:07 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Kind of punished:

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: SC] #827542
02/07/15 04:12 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
lol lol

Some people think Galante being behind the bombing was bullshit. But it doesn't even matter. Galante was a mass murderer and a complete psychopath. It's called karma. And if there's a Hell, that guy's been overcooked for quite some time now. He was an animal, plain and simple.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: ManGauge] #827543
Uk
T
Tonytough Offline
ba da bing
Tonytough  Offline
ba da bing
T
Underboss
Uk
Because getting "made" doesn't apply to the afterlife.

Plus Costello retired when he was alive so it wasn't like he had an army on hand to avenge their boss. Nobody cared other than his blood relatives

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: Tonytough] #827544
02/07/15 04:24 PM
02/07/15 04:24 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Tonytough
Plus Costello retired when he was alive so it wasn't like he had an army on hand to avenge their boss. Nobody cared other than his blood relatives

If you think Costello didn't still have loyalists in the '60s, you're very much mistaken. He received his cut from plenty of partnerships until the day he died.

The Harlem and Bronx/Yonkers factions of the family saw to it that the man got what was right. Because Costello was particularly close to both Larry Black and Cockeyed Nick. And Vito wasn't risking a war from jail because they saw to it that Costello got what was rightfully his, particularly from the gambling.

Point being, Costello didn't live out his days on Central Park West on Social Security.

The bombing? Who knows. At the end of the day, Galante was an animal and he died as he lived. Like I said: karma.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: ManGauge] #827545
02/07/15 04:28 PM
02/07/15 04:28 PM
manchester uk
domwoods74 Offline
Underboss
domwoods74  Offline
Underboss
manchester uk
Did the bombing even happen in the first place ?? A lot of people say it didn't happen and there is no real evidence either

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: domwoods74] #827548
02/07/15 04:47 PM
02/07/15 04:47 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: domwoods74
Did the bombing even happen in the first place ?? A lot of people say it didn't happen and there is no real evidence either

I remember once seeing a newspaper clipping from the day after it happened. (Might have been in the New York Times).

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: Tonytough] #827555
02/07/15 05:06 PM
02/07/15 05:06 PM
M
ManGauge Offline OP
Button
ManGauge  Offline OP
M
Button

SO you're telling me that if someone bombed Carlo Gambinos grave right after he had passed , that there would have been no retribution from the family and/or other families just based off of sheer respect many had for the man?

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: ManGauge] #827597
02/07/15 08:10 PM
02/07/15 08:10 PM
B
Benny3Balls Offline
Made Member
Benny3Balls  Offline
B
Made Member
I believe SC previously posted the link to this story.

No mention of Galante but Costello's mauseoleum was definitely bombed.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2245&dat=19740126&id=suEzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=iTIHAAAAIBAJ&pg=4874,2249134

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: Benny3Balls] #827598
02/07/15 08:51 PM
02/07/15 08:51 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
Why Costello of all people.

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: ManGauge] #827606
02/07/15 11:27 PM
02/07/15 11:27 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
I think Mob informant Vinnie Teresa is the one who claimed that Galante bombed Costello's mausoleum. Don't think anything was ever proved. Teresa said that Galante hated Costello but never really explained why. He didn't like Gambino either, for that matter. Because Galante was a big Bonanno defender, it would seem more logical that he would have hated Steve Magaddino or Joe Colombo, since they had more to do with deposing his old boss than anyone else.

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: Faithful1] #827608
02/08/15 01:15 AM
02/08/15 01:15 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: Faithful1
I think Mob informant Vinnie Teresa is the one who claimed that Galante bombed Costello's mausoleum. Don't think anything was ever proved. Teresa said that Galante hated Costello but never really explained why. He didn't like Gambino either, for that matter. Because Galante was a big Bonanno defender, it would seem more logical that he would have hated Steve Magaddino or Joe Colombo, since they had more to do with deposing his old boss than anyone else.

Although I haven´t read or even held that Vinny Teresa book in my hands for close to 30 years, it´s amazing how I still remember some quotes from it. (That´s how fascinated I was about it lol, but I was just a teenager and didn´t know better...) According to Teresa, Galante hated Colombo fiercely too and said to him "Colombo is going to get hit, the Gallos are going to do it and I don´t blame them." And Teresa wrote "I never knew how right he was until it actually happened." (Note these are Teresa quotes, doesn´t necessarily mean Terasa was telling the truth.)

[Linked Image]
Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: ManGauge] #827651
02/08/15 11:33 AM
02/08/15 11:33 AM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

On the back of Costello's book there a photo the shit did get blown up the pics on here some were. The books called prime minister of the underworld its sucks hard to find got it threw my library's find a book some were else program. The day it got blown up had something fundamental to it I forgot wat. I bet the feds aasked massino if and who did what. Massino reported to him when rastelli was lockedup.

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: ManGauge] #827706
02/08/15 03:24 PM
02/08/15 03:24 PM
Uk
T
Tonytough Offline
ba da bing
Tonytough  Offline
ba da bing
T
Underboss
Uk
Originally Posted By: ManGauge

SO you're telling me that if someone bombed Carlo Gambinos grave right after he had passed , that there would have been no retribution from the family and/or other families just based off of sheer respect many had for the man?

Carlo Gambino is in a different league altogether from
Costello. Yes Costello was once very powerful but do u think someone could graze carlo's head & force him into retirement? Then take over his family? I didn't think so

As u can see, Carlo's power is alot different to Costello's & again not saying Costello didn't have power after he retired. But one can see the difference

& who was running the family for Costello after he died in terms of blood relative? Carlo
on the otherhand had Castellano plus let's not forget Tommy Gambino.

& why are we even debating whether or not anyone would avenge the bombing of frank's tomb, clearly there was no retribution. Case closed. No one gave two fuks

And ok, someone kindly posted a pic of a shotgunned Galante but that had zero to do with Costello & everything to do with money/ power (involving alive persons). Nothing to do with the deceased

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: Tonytough] #827728
02/08/15 04:54 PM
02/08/15 04:54 PM
B
barry Offline
Made Member
barry  Offline
B
Made Member
CARMINE GALANTE Is the most interesting mobster of alltime ... there should be a movie and several books about him .

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: Tonytough] #827753
02/08/15 06:43 PM
02/08/15 06:43 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss

Costello. Yes Costello was once very powerful but do u think someone could graze carlo's head & force him into retirement? Then take over his family? I didn't think so

As u can see, Carlo's power is alot different to Costello's & again not saying Costello didn't have power after he retired. But one can see the difference

& who was running the family for Costello after he died in terms of blood relative? Carlo

& why are we even debating whether or not anyone would avenge the bombing of frank's tomb, clearly there was no retribution. Case closed. No one gave two fuks

And ok, someone kindly posted a pic of a shotgunned Galante but that had zero to do with Costello & everything to do with money/ power (involving alive persons). Nothing to do with the deceased

It sounded like the point you were trying to make was that Costello had no power or respect after he stepped down, therefore nobody cared when his mausoleum was bombed. That just isn't the case.

Frank Costello also isn't the only former high ranking mob guy who was busted down but still had some respect and guys loyal to him. Nobody took over Costello's family, he could've gone to war, but that wasn't him. He had guys loyal to him, real tough guys who wouldn't of thought twice about gunning down Genovese and all those loyal to him, like Willie Moretti and his crew of cutthroats. He also had loyal allies who would've done the same, like Albert Anastasia. If he really wanted to, Costello would've had little problem disposing Vito Genovese, IMO. But Costello never liked the attention from law enforcement. His greatest pride was his false success at portraying himself and giving the public this image of him as a legitimate businessman, who made money through his business prowess. And once he was outed as a mob boss by the media, his attitude took a turn for the worse, it was devastating to him. So it would've been completely out of character for him to all of sudden, revert back to being a gangster first and going to war. And he didn't even need to, he surpassed Vito in earnings, had established himself in legitimate businesses. He didn't need to be the boss, and he knew it. And he told Genovese after the attempt and after he threw Gigante the bone during his attempted murder trial, that he'd be taking an early retirement and he stuck to his word.

And you're misinformed if you think nobody took the steps to retaliate against Genovese after that, or wanted to. Albert Anastasia had went to the Commission and wanted approval to go to war with Genovese for his transgressions against Costello. He was prepared, Joe Bonanno supposedly (according to his book) stopped the bloodshed by having the two mete out their differences over dinner, which he proclaimed the "Pax Bonanno".

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: SinatraClub] #827757
02/08/15 07:08 PM
02/08/15 07:08 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
@ Sinatra Club: Much the same as what I was saying. Costello earned until he died, and he had some heavyweight loyalists until the end. Vito died in a cage like an animal. So really, who won? wink

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: Tonytough] #827762
02/08/15 08:04 PM
02/08/15 08:04 PM
M
ManGauge Offline OP
Button
ManGauge  Offline OP
M
Button

If carlo gambino was meticulously undermined by Genovese as Costello was then yes , i could see that happening.

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: ManGauge] #827765
02/08/15 08:07 PM
02/08/15 08:07 PM
Extortion Offline
Underboss
Extortion  Offline
Underboss
I don't think anyone in the 70s cared that much about Costello anymore, he had already been dead for awhile I believe. Plus it was Galante, a very powerful vicious guy.

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: ManGauge] #827774
02/08/15 08:21 PM
02/08/15 08:21 PM
CT
M
mightyhealthy Offline
Underboss
mightyhealthy  Offline
M
Underboss
CT
Who even wastes their damn time bombing a grave

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: ManGauge] #827776
02/08/15 08:23 PM
02/08/15 08:23 PM
Extortion Offline
Underboss
Extortion  Offline
Underboss
Carmen San Diego

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: ManGauge] #827777
02/08/15 08:27 PM
02/08/15 08:27 PM
CT
M
mightyhealthy Offline
Underboss
mightyhealthy  Offline
M
Underboss
CT
Lol

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: pizzaboy] #827785
02/08/15 09:13 PM
02/08/15 09:13 PM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
@ Sinatra Club: Much the same as what I was saying. Costello earned until he died, and he had some heavyweight loyalists until the end. Vito died in a cage like an animal. So really, who won? wink

I'm sure Costello thought he won and Genovese thought he won. Just depends on how you look at it and who you ask.

"My uncle(Nicky Scarfo) always told me, you have to use your brains in this thing, and you always have to use the gun." -"crazy" Phil Leonetti-
Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: ManGauge] #827792
02/08/15 09:44 PM
02/08/15 09:44 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
Nah I think Costello won, man. Vito Genovese not too long after becoming boss went to prison on a drug trafficking charge. He never got out. He died there. Dying in prison is never a win. Especially compared to Frank Costello who didn't lose his life, and contrary to what some believe, stepped down as boss at his own will. Still had the respect from his peers, still received kickbacks, continued living peacefully in Manhattan, and died an old man tending to his garden in Sands Point, Long Island.

Last edited by SinatraClub; 02/08/15 09:44 PM.
Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: PhillyMob] #827795
02/08/15 09:56 PM
02/08/15 09:56 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: PhillyMob
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

I'm sure Costello thought he won and Genovese thought he won. Just depends on how you look at it and who you ask.

Costello won. There's a wiretap somewhere of Catena and Alo laughing themselves silly about Vito's last days as opposed to Franks. Good enough for them, good enough for me.

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: SinatraClub] #827798
02/08/15 11:55 PM
02/08/15 11:55 PM
Uk
T
Tonytough Offline
ba da bing
Tonytough  Offline
ba da bing
T
Underboss
Uk
Originally Posted By: SinatraClub

It sounded like the point you were trying to make was that Costello had no power or respect after he stepped down, therefore nobody cared when his mausoleum was bombed. That just isn't the case.

Frank Costello also isn't the only former high ranking mob guy who was busted down but still had some respect and guys loyal to him. Nobody took over Costello's family, he could've gone to war, but that wasn't him. He had guys loyal to him, real tough guys who wouldn't of thought twice about gunning down Genovese and all those loyal to him, like Willie Moretti and his crew of cutthroats. He also had loyal allies who would've done the same, like Albert Anastasia. If he really wanted to, Costello would've had little problem disposing Vito Genovese, IMO. But Costello never liked the attention from law enforcement. His greatest pride was his false success at portraying himself and giving the public this image of him as a legitimate businessman, who made money through his business prowess. And once he was outed as a mob boss by the media, his attitude took a turn for the worse, it was devastating to him. So it would've been completely out of character for him to all of sudden, revert back to being a gangster first and going to war. And he didn't even need to, he surpassed Vito in earnings, had established himself in legitimate businesses. He didn't need to be the boss, and he knew it. And he told Genovese after the attempt and after he threw Gigante the bone during his attempted murder trial, that he'd be taking an early retirement and he stuck to his word.

And you're misinformed if you think nobody took the steps to retaliate against Genovese after that, or wanted to. Albert Anastasia had went to the Commission and wanted approval to go to war with Genovese for his transgressions against Costello. He was prepared, Joe Bonanno supposedly (according to his book) stopped the bloodshed by having the two mete out their differences over dinner, which he proclaimed the "Pax Bonanno".

No I am not misinformed, it's in all the mob history books that Albert wanted to avenge Costello but as we saw it didn't happen. & yes I have read that Bonanno claims to have acted as mediator between Albert & Genovese

Now I keep reading posts about how many loyal guys Costello had under him, & I'm not doubting that BUT what I'm trying to point out is nobody gave two fuks to go after Galante over it.

Whereas if Galante did that to carlo's or a modern day tough guy did that to John Gotti's grave & his son John Jr was still on the streets, there is a high chance of retribution. I mean Gotti jr tried to get Curtis Sliwa hurt just for badmouthing his father, forget about bombing his tomb

I'll say this again, quit talking about how much power Costello wielded before his death, NOBODY within his circle would touch Galante over it even if they knew he did it.

Unless Costello had very powerful blood relatives who took it "personally" as in the case of Paul Castellano/ Gotti jr as mentioned above, those still loyal to Costello would know it was bad for "business" to go after Galante. Afterall frank is dead, he's hardly going to thank his men or friends who are still living & potentially risking their lives vs a serial killing "self imposed" boss of the Bonanno's

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: Tonytough] #827803
02/09/15 05:48 AM
02/09/15 05:48 AM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Tony, the assumption that Carlo Gambino, being a more respected and threatening boss than Costello, would have been avenged had he been disrespected by Galante in the manner Costello was, is inconsistent with the fact that Galante insulted Carlo Gambino and Carlo was not able to have Galante removed, despite being hailed as boss of bosses.

Regardless to what Carlo's supporters would have done with Galante had Galante disrespected Carlo the way Costello was, the fact of the matter is that Carlo didn't have the power to remove Galante right away while he (Carlo) was actually in power.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: ManGauge] #827808
02/09/15 06:15 AM
02/09/15 06:15 AM
Castellammare del Golfo
Malandrino Offline
Underboss
Malandrino  Offline
Underboss
Castellammare del Golfo
Well I think Carlo was already in bad health by Galante's peak and after Carlo died Castellano took over. I doubt Paul was the kinda guy who would have whacked Carmine only because he blew up Carlo's grave, even though they were family.. it was just business with him and he wanted a piece of Galante's very profitable heroin business, which is why he finally okayed the hit on him.

Regardless, it's just my opinion and we're talking about a what-if scenario here anyway.

Last edited by Malandrino; 02/09/15 06:16 AM.

-I shot him a coupla' times.
-What's a couple?
-Hmm, more than a couple... Really I don't know the exact amount, maybe I shot him 10 times, 12 times?
-Maybe fifteen?
-Hmm, it could've been fifteen...

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso
Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: ManGauge] #827837
02/09/15 10:45 AM
02/09/15 10:45 AM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Snowy day. So galante gets out 74 whacked 79 was locked up for 18 months for PV. Was he still on parole when he got whacked? Cause he's was with like 12 felons at his death. I read the FBI was constantly telling him his life's in danger. Why they wait on the hit did rusty stop it or didn't OK till the commission forced him. Sales vitals said he was only a capo but acting boss so rusty must have OK it at first. Wonder why Santo trafficante was in on it

Re: Why wasnt Galante punished for bombing Costello's. [Re: Tonytough] #827841
02/09/15 11:15 AM
02/09/15 11:15 AM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss

No I am not misinformed, it's in all the mob history books that Albert wanted to avenge Costello but as we saw it didn't happen. & yes I have read that Bonanno claims to have acted as mediator between Albert & Genovese

Now I keep reading posts about how many loyal guys Costello had under him, & I'm not doubting that BUT what I'm trying to point out is nobody gave two fuks to go after Galante over it.

Whereas if Galante did that to carlo's or a modern day tough guy did that to John Gotti's grave & his son John Jr was still on the streets, there is a high chance of retribution. I mean Gotti jr tried to get Curtis Sliwa hurt just for badmouthing his father, forget about bombing his tomb

I'll say this again, quit talking about how much power Costello wielded before his death, NOBODY within his circle would touch Galante over it even if they knew he did it.

Unless Costello had very powerful blood relatives who took it "personally" as in the case of Paul Castellano/ Gotti jr as mentioned above, those still loyal to Costello would know it was bad for "business" to go after Galante. Afterall frank is dead, he's hardly going to thank his men or friends who are still living & potentially risking their lives vs a serial killing "self imposed" boss of the Bonanno's

I think that's pretty ridiculous to say personally. It hasn't happened, how can one assume what anyone would do if they bombed Carlo Gambino's grave or John Gotti's. I'm pretty sure that if someone damaged John Gotti's grave or Gambino's today, nobody would care nor would anything be done. The proof is in the pudding, a bum robbed valuable pieces of Fat Tony Salerno's mausoleum in 2013. And nobody did anything, the guy ended up being caught by the police. If no one did anything then, they most likely won't be doing anything now for John Gotti or Carlo Gambino.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull