GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Irishman12, Brovelli, 2 invisible), 140 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,455
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,866
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,321
Posts1,058,517
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New york or LA? #827426
02/07/15 03:34 AM
02/07/15 03:34 AM
yigido Offline OP
Capo
yigido  Offline OP
Capo
So I will have the opportunity to go abroad for one semester next year and I would like to visit the states. I can make a list of 5 schools abroad to which I can go to for an exchange program and depending on my grades I will be allowed to go to one of these schools. I am allowed to pick 2 places in America and the one I will put as my number one choice will have the priority for me when my school starts allocating people to different schools.

I always wanted to go to NY, but now people around me keep saying that I should go to LA. Some of their reasons are things like the weather and that NY people are a little bit rude. Only thing that would be better in LA is the weather I think but you guys know it better I think.
Now I was wondering what you guys were thinking what is a better destination for a foreign exchange student like me, NY or LA?

Re: New york or LA? [Re: yigido] #827427
02/07/15 03:49 AM
02/07/15 03:49 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
Well what ever school you mention and place you want to go you better make it your priority pick or you won't get in.

On LA I hope it sinks in the fucking ocean. My best friend lives there he knows I will never travel there and I won't even buy anything from there.

For me NYC is the place even though it has become another liberal city. But not for me. I don't hang out with liberals. I do hangout with soccer people. Since I never talk to them about politics I have no clue how they feel and I am not interested in finding out

What's schools are you interested in attending realistically?

If you want to come to NYC don't let schools in Queens or Brooklyn stop you from going. They are less then an hour from Manhattan.

One semester sure Your never go back after that one semester smile

only the unloved hate
Re: New york or LA? [Re: yigido] #827445
02/07/15 07:57 AM
02/07/15 07:57 AM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
LA

the weather is better an the women look better

they have nice skin tones because of the weather....no spray on tan

plus new yorkers are rude because it's a fast rip n run type of city

plus new yorkers don't get their face blown off for running off at the mouth

LA, CHI, PHI, NOLA, DET,etc.....cities that u have to show people human respect

people get murdered for being rude for no reason in alot of cities....not NY

Last edited by cookcounty; 02/07/15 08:00 AM.
Re: New york or LA? [Re: cookcounty] #827452
02/07/15 08:52 AM
02/07/15 08:52 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The weather is better in LA. But, LA is not really a city--it's a sprawl of urban and suburban areas. You must have a car to get around in the LA area and the traffic is beyond horrendous. New York has an efficient public transportation system and has a lot to do and see in a far more compact area.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: New york or LA? [Re: yigido] #827458
02/07/15 09:35 AM
02/07/15 09:35 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I don't see where there is even a doubt. New York City is THE destination to see/live in once in your lifetime.

It is the world's cultural center. Its citizens are no ruder than any others; in fact, most of them are quite helpful.

Why would you want to live in a place where you NEED a car for most every day things? Why live in a place under constant fear of your building coming down on top of you in an earthquake?

Re: New york or LA? [Re: yigido] #827461
02/07/15 10:11 AM
02/07/15 10:11 AM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
Definitely NYC unless you can go to UC San Diego. California is one of the most beautiful states with the best climate on earth but NYC WINS as far as giving you exactly what you want as an exchange student. Then you can take a trip to LA in the winter when NYC is miserable and cold.
Today it's 75 by me. Beautiful.

Re: New york or LA? [Re: cookcounty] #827462
02/07/15 10:13 AM
02/07/15 10:13 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: cookcounty
LA

the weather is better an the women look better

they have nice skin tones because of the weather....no spray on tan

plus new yorkers are rude because it's a fast rip n run type of city

plus new yorkers don't get their face blown off for running off at the mouth

LA, CHI, PHI, NOLA, DET,etc.....cities that u have to show people human respect

people get murdered for being rude for no reason in alot of cities....not NY

What does any of this mean? That people should travel to a place where there's a better chance of getting murdered?

You never disappoint, Cook lol.

Originally Posted By: SC
I don't see where there is even a doubt. New York City is THE destination to see/live in once in your lifetime.

It is the world's cultural center. Its citizens are no ruder than any others; in fact, most of them are quite helpful.

Why would you want to live in a place where you NEED a car for most every day things? Why live in a place under constant fear of your building coming down on top of you in an earthquake?

Perfectly put.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: New york or LA? [Re: SC] #827463
02/07/15 10:20 AM
02/07/15 10:20 AM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA

NYC is the RIGHT CHOICE. I agree completely.

Love the earthquake line CLASSIC lol Just to scootch you SC I'm outside in shorts today soaking up the sun in my 75 degree weather just HOPING my house doesn't fall down cuz of an earthquake lol lol How are you doing over there in NY ?

Re: New york or LA? [Re: Alfanosgirl] #827467
02/07/15 10:38 AM
02/07/15 10:38 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Alfanosgirl
Just to scootch you SC I'm outside in shorts today soaking up the sun in my 75 degree weather just HOPING my house doesn't fall down cuz of an earthquake lol lol How are you doing over there in NY ?

Hey, I'm wearing shorts, too.... (under my longjohns)

Shoveled out my car this morning. Another foot of snow is due by Tuesday. The past five weeks here have been miserable between ice, snow, and cold. And the coldest weather of the winter will be here by Thursday (below zero). THere's even some talk already of a huge snowstorm (biggest of the season) that will be hitting us NEXT Sunday (Valentine's Day).

On the bright side, we have had no earthquakes, Santa Ana brush fires, droughts or Charles Manson followers here.

Re: New york or LA? [Re: SC] #827469
02/07/15 10:57 AM
02/07/15 10:57 AM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
Just to scootch you SC I'm outside in shorts today soaking up the sun in my 75 degree weather just HOPING my house doesn't fall down cuz of an earthquake lol lol How are you doing over there in NY ?

Hey, I'm wearing shorts, too.... (under my longjohns)

Shoveled out my car this morning. Another foot of snow is due by Tuesday. The past five weeks here have been miserable between ice, snow, and cold. And the coldest weather of the winter will be here by Thursday (below zero). THere's even some talk already of a huge snowstorm (biggest of the season) that will be hitting us NEXT Sunday (Valentine's Day).

On the bright side, we have had no earthquakes, Santa Ana brush fires, droughts or Charles Manson followers here.

lol lol lol We do have the STRANGEST people on earth living here that's for sure.
Those brush fires are horrible.

I do feel badly about your weather. Be Safe. And don't forget to wear white shorts with red hearts under your long johns for Valentine's Day wink

Re: New york or LA? [Re: Alfanosgirl] #827470
02/07/15 11:07 AM
02/07/15 11:07 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Wow, NY/LA on THIS board? ha ha ha. Don't think I'll go there with so many NYers here. You can't win. That's like talking politics with mostly RWingers. You'll never make people see your side.

I love both NYC & LA. wink

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: New york or LA? [Re: yigido] #827472
02/07/15 11:13 AM
02/07/15 11:13 AM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
@sc

new york is a smorsborg(sp) of mixed race women...from all races

yall get lobster cheaper, clothes cheaper.....cook county is crooked smh

@pb

i'm moving from cook county asap

@alfano's girl

feb.14th is for treating ur wife/gf proper n then cheating later the same day

Last edited by cookcounty; 02/07/15 11:13 AM.
Re: New york or LA? [Re: yigido] #827478
02/07/15 11:29 AM
02/07/15 11:29 AM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
@ Cook Co
Feb 14 is the day when a wife knows that what she has to offer her husband/boyfriend is BETTER than anything he can get from paying a WHORE or another woman. AG still has her husband of 18 years drooling for her cuz she knows how to treat a man.

Re: New york or LA? [Re: yigido] #827489
02/07/15 12:22 PM
02/07/15 12:22 PM
Bamboo Lounge
NickyEyes1 Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
NickyEyes1  Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
Underboss
Bamboo Lounge
NYC for sure, LA is a dump.

Re: New york or LA? [Re: cookcounty] #827491
02/07/15 12:34 PM
02/07/15 12:34 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
@pb

If you move to NYC, I'll give you a nice deal on an apartment. No bullshit. It's a New Year. Bygones be bygones and all that.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: New york or LA? [Re: yigido] #827527
02/07/15 03:08 PM
02/07/15 03:08 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Between NYC and LA, I'd go with NYC, for sure. But that's not to say that southern California doesn't have just as much to offer. I love Orange County and the IE, and Hollywood is good for a visit, but I'd never live in L.A.

And our weather is pretty great!

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: New york or LA? [Re: yigido] #827535
02/07/15 03:43 PM
02/07/15 03:43 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: yigido
Now I was wondering what you guys were thinking what is a better destination for a foreign exchange student like me, NY or LA?

flip a coin

heads new york, tails los angeles

smile

Re: New york or LA? [Re: yigido] #827547
02/07/15 04:45 PM
02/07/15 04:45 PM
Castellammare del Golfo
Malandrino Offline
Underboss
Malandrino  Offline
Underboss
Castellammare del Golfo
When it's in the air, you'll know what you're hoping for. lol.

In all seriousness though I've only been to NYC so I can't speak about LA. It was as you can expect, urbanized, fast-paced and messy but if you already live in a metropolis or big city then you must be used to that.
NY is the cultural center of the world as they say, but LA is also very interesting, Hollywood, the movies, etc which I'm sure are an interest of yours.
What do you study, yigido? Because if your major is anything related to entertainment, film, etc then the choice is obviously LA, but if it's finance or marketing, then it's NYC for you my man.

-I shot him a coupla' times.
-What's a couple?
-Hmm, more than a couple... Really I don't know the exact amount, maybe I shot him 10 times, 12 times?
-Maybe fifteen?
-Hmm, it could've been fifteen...

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso
Re: New york or LA? [Re: Malandrino] #827552
02/07/15 04:53 PM
02/07/15 04:53 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Malandrino
Because if your major is anything related to entertainment, film, etc then the choice is obviously LA

Overall, you're absolutely right, Malandrino. But don't forget a little school called NYU when it comes to film. It's only one school, where California has dozens. But what a school it is! smile

Re: New york or LA? [Re: yigido] #827557
02/07/15 05:16 PM
02/07/15 05:16 PM
Castellammare del Golfo
Malandrino Offline
Underboss
Malandrino  Offline
Underboss
Castellammare del Golfo
Ah yes that's where Scorsese went to, right? It's always been a dream of mine to study abroad in one of the major US cities. Maybe in another life. rolleyes

-What's a couple?
-Hmm, more than a couple... Really I don't know the exact amount, maybe I shot him 10 times, 12 times?
-Maybe fifteen?

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso
Re: New york or LA? [Re: Alfanosgirl] #827562
02/07/15 05:43 PM
02/07/15 05:43 PM
yigido Offline OP
Capo
yigido  Offline OP
Capo
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
The weather is better in LA. But, LA is not really a city--it's a sprawl of urban and suburban areas. You must have a car to get around in the LA area and the traffic is beyond horrendous. New York has an efficient public transportation system and has a lot to do and see in a far more compact area.
The transportation is definitely a plus point in NY.

Originally Posted By: Footreads
Well what ever school you mention and place you want to go you better make it your priority pick or you won't get in.

On LA I hope it sinks in the fucking ocean. My best friend lives there he knows I will never travel there and I won't even buy anything from there.

For me NYC is the place even though it has become another liberal city. But not for me. I don't hang out with liberals. I do hangout with soccer people. Since I never talk to them about politics I have no clue how they feel and I am not interested in finding out

What's schools are you interested in attending realistically?

If you want to come to NYC don't let schools in Queens or Brooklyn stop you from going. They are less then an hour from Manhattan.

One semester sure Your never go back after that one semester smile
I forgot to mention I can only go to the schools my school has a partnership with. The one in NY is the Baruch college and in LA it is CSU long beach.

When it's in the air, you'll know what you're hoping for. lol.

In all seriousness though I've only been to NYC so I can't speak about LA. It was as you can expect, urbanized, fast-paced and messy but if you already live in a metropolis or big city then you must be used to that.
NY is the cultural center of the world as they say, but LA is also very interesting, Hollywood, the movies, etc which I'm sure are an interest of yours.
What do you study, yigido? Because if your major is anything related to entertainment, film, etc then the choice is obviously LA, but if it's finance or marketing, then it's NYC for you my man.
Yeah I am studying business right now but I still haven't made my choice regarding the direction I will take marketing or finance. So NY would be the better choice career wise.

My taughts exactly and I was 100% sure that I would choose NY as my priority choice, but a lot of people around me say that I should go to LA.

Definitely NYC unless you can go to UC San Diego. California is one of the most beautiful states with the best climate on earth but NYC WINS as far as giving you exactly what you want as an exchange student. Then you can take a trip to LA in the winter when NYC is miserable and cold.
Today it's 75 by me. Beautiful.

I was thinking about this and I will probably do it if I have the time.

One problem in NY will be the rent from what I can see, it is amazing what you have to pay for a room close to the university which is in Manhattan.

Re: New york or LA? [Re: Malandrino] #827565
02/07/15 05:50 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Ah yes that's where Scorsese went to, right?

Spike Lee, too. But I'm pretty sure they both did their post-grad work there. Either way, wonderful school. Great neighborhood. Greenwich Village is really a special place, all the weirdos aside lol.

Re: New york or LA? [Re: yigido] #827566
Castellammare del Golfo
Malandrino Offline
Underboss
Malandrino  Offline
Underboss
Castellammare del Golfo
Then I guess career-wise NY is a no-brainer, LA seems more like a fun place to go.

You don't have to live in Manhattan, try getting a place in Queens or Brooklyn, preferably near a metro stop. You can take the metro and be there in a couple of minutes.

-What's a couple?
-Maybe fifteen?

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso
Re: New york or LA? [Re: Malandrino] #827567
02/07/15 05:55 PM
02/07/15 05:55 PM
yigido Offline OP
Capo
yigido  Offline OP
Capo
Then I guess career-wise NY is a no-brainer, LA seems more like a fun place to go.

You don't have to live in Manhattan, try getting a place in Queens or Brooklyn, preferably near a metro stop. You can take the metro and be there in a couple of minutes.

Yeah and I also have the possibility to extend my stay with another semester for an internship in NY.

living outside Manhattan would be the solution as you said and if I am not wrong you can get a monthly pass for public transportation for 100$ or something.

Well it is clear to me now that NY is the wiser choice.

Re: New york or LA? [Re: getthesenets] #827577
02/07/15 06:49 PM
02/07/15 06:49 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: getthesenets
flip a coin

heads new york, tails los angeles

smile

Prince Akeem had to make the same decision...

Re: New york or LA? [Re: getthesenets] #827579
02/07/15 06:51 PM
02/07/15 06:51 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Classic '80s, Gets. Makes me smile every time.

Re: New york or LA? [Re: yigido] #827586
02/07/15 07:17 PM
02/07/15 07:17 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Originally Posted By: yigido
I forgot to mention I can only go to the schools my school has a partnership with. The one in NY is the Baruch college and in LA it is CSU long beach.

CSU Long Beach is a nice school. It's relatively close to all of the "hot spots" in the LA/Orange County area. And it's literally a hop/skip/jump from the Aquarium of the Pacific and the Queen Mary, both worthwhile visits.

I'm currently attending CSU Fullerton. I'll be graduating this semester with my BA in Criminal Justice (Minor in Sociology).

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: New york or LA? [Re: pizzaboy] #827617
02/08/15 07:07 AM
02/08/15 07:07 AM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
@pb

If you move to NYC, I'll give you a nice deal on an apartment. No bullshit. It's a New Year. Bygones be bygones and all that.

it is a new year but nyc's taxes are too high just like chicago

Re: New york or LA? [Re: yigido] #827665
02/08/15 12:50 PM
02/08/15 12:50 PM
PDX
L
lingod Offline
Associate
lingod  Offline
L
Associate
PDX
LA's fine, but it ain't home. New York's home but it ain't mine no more...

Re: New york or LA? [Re: yigido] #827675
02/08/15 01:53 PM
02/08/15 01:53 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
My first tenant went to that college. He was my tenant for three weeks when I bought my first house it was a two family. He was there when I bought the house.

I had an argument with him and told him and his wife they had to move out. He thought I could not get him out because he paid the rent. I told him you can live somewhere else who him and his wife could just stop living.

only the unloved hate
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull