GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 170 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,461
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,873
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,321
Posts1,058,558
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tommaso "Tommy" Gagliano #827337
02/06/15 01:20 PM
02/06/15 01:20 PM
USA
BloodlettersandBadmen Offline OP
Made Member
BloodlettersandBadmen  Offline OP
Made Member
USA
Tommaso “Tommy” Gagliano (1884 − ???) was an American mobster and mafia boss of one of New York’s five ruling families. He sat on the original commission established by Charles “Lucky” Luciano. He served as a low-profile boss for over two decades. His successor was his longtime loyalist and underboss, Gaetano “Tommy” Lucchese.

http://bloodlettersandbadmen.com/2015/02/mafia-godfather-tommaso-tommy-gagliano/

Re: Tommaso "Tommy" Gagliano [Re: BloodlettersandBadmen] #827442
02/07/15 07:29 AM
02/07/15 07:29 AM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Very good job, Bravo!

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: Tommaso "Tommy" Gagliano [Re: BloodlettersandBadmen] #827468
02/07/15 10:55 AM
02/07/15 10:55 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Gagliano indeed was one of the more obscure figures among the bosses of the NY Mafia. Thanks to the internet and old newspaper archives, we can find out more about him. He did die on Feb 16, 1951 (just like Lucchese said during the hearings). His obituary was published in NY Times 16th, 17th and 18th of February 1951. I posted a copy of it and it can be found by using the search function on here. I have no clue why some historians claim he died in 1953.

Another interesting thing is that Gagliano was indicted and convicted of tax evasion in 1932. He receieved a 15 months prison sentence. Here is an article about the indictment published in the Schenectady Gazette March 1, 1932. Dewey who was just an up and comer assistant US attorney at the time had a role in convicting him.

"5 alleged leaders in Bronx building racket indicted by the federal grand jury in connection with United States attorney George Z. Medalie´s drive against income tax racketeers. The defendants were charged with conspiracy with an attempt to evade and defeat the income tax law and with perjury involving concealed net incomes of $1.270,000. Those indicted were Antonio Monforte, also known as Monteforte, who is now serving seven years in Sing Sing for extortion; Tommaso Gagliano; Guiseppe Alberti; Frank Casella and Antonio Marziano, all of the Bronx. Thomas E. Dewey, chief assistant United States attorney charged Gagliano and Monforte were copartners in the organization of the Plasterers´ Information Bureau, [word impossible to read] which they incorporated and which is alleged to have terrorized the Bronx building trades for years. The building contractors were practically forced to buy "the services" of the bureau at an expressed price of one per cent of their receipts, he said. Another indictment alleged that Monforte, Gagliano and Alberti conspired with Marziano, Casella and other stockholders of the United cloathing Company to defraud the government by evading payment of corporate income tax. It is alleged that the gross income of the corporation for the years 1927, 1928 and 1929 was more than $1.500,000 and that the net income was more than $1.000,000."

[Linked Image]
Re: Tommaso "Tommy" Gagliano [Re: HairyKnuckles] #827471
02/07/15 11:09 AM
02/07/15 11:09 AM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Gagliano indeed was one of the more obscure figures among the bosses of the NY Mafia. Thanks to the internet and old newspaper archives, we can find out more about him. He did die on Feb 16, 1951 (just like Lucchese said during the hearings). His obituary was published in NY Times 16th, 17th and 18th of February 1951. I posted a copy of it and it can be found by using the search function on here. I have no clue why some historians claim he died in 1953.

Another interesting thing is that Gagliano was indicted and convicted of tax evasion in 1932. He receieved a 15 months prison sentence. Here is an article about the indictment published in the Schenectady Gazette March 1, 1932. Dewey who was just an up and comer assistant US attorney at the time had a role in convicting him.

"5 alleged leaders in Bronx building racket indicted by the federal grand jury in connection with United States attorney George Z. Medalie´s drive against income tax racketeers. The defendants were charged with conspiracy with an attempt to evade and defeat the income tax law and with perjury involving concealed net incomes of $1.270,000. Those indicted were Antonio Monforte, also known as Monteforte, who is now serving seven years in Sing Sing for extortion; Tommaso Gagliano; Guiseppe Alberti; Frank Casella and Antonio Marziano, all of the Bronx. Thomas E. Dewey, chief assistant United States attorney charged Gagliano and Monforte were copartners in the organization of the Plasterers´ Information Bureau, [word impossible to read] which they incorporated and which is alleged to have terrorized the Bronx building trades for years. The building contractors were practically forced to buy "the services" of the bureau at an expressed price of one per cent of their receipts, he said. Another indictment alleged that Monforte, Gagliano and Alberti conspired with Marziano, Casella and other stockholders of the United cloathing Company to defraud the government by evading payment of corporate income tax. It is alleged that the gross income of the corporation for the years 1927, 1928 and 1929 was more than $1.500,000 and that the net income was more than $1.000,000."

Interesting. So Dewey DID go after other commission members after all, not just Luciano. I have always been wondering why there were never mentions of any other Cosa Nostra bosses apart from Luciano being jailed by Dewey. What about Mangano, Profaci and Bonanno, did they ever go to jail when Dewey was prosecutor?

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Tommaso "Tommy" Gagliano [Re: Dwalin2011] #827474
02/07/15 11:19 AM
02/07/15 11:19 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
"Interesting. So Dewey DID go after other commission members after all, not just Luciano. I have always been wondering why there were never mentions of any other Cosa Nostra bosses apart from Luciano being jailed by Dewey. What about Mangano, Profaci and Bonanno, did they ever go to jail when Dewey was prosecutor?"

No, I don´t think so. I don´t think Dewey knew what a big fish Gagliano actually was. The Commission was not known to LE at that time. I think Dewey settled to go against known gangsters in general and that his knowledge of Mafia was extremely limited, if he had any at all.

[Linked Image]
Re: Tommaso "Tommy" Gagliano [Re: BloodlettersandBadmen] #827497
02/07/15 01:03 PM
02/07/15 01:03 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Dewey probably would have gone after Mangano eventually if Abe Reles not been killed. He was set to go after Anastasia. This was part of the Murder Inc. case. Reles identified him as Anastasia's boss. Profaci and Bonanno had been charged with relatively minor offenses, and their roles as Mob bosses was unknown. One difference between Bonanno and Profaci was Profaci's attendance in the 1928 Cleveland meeting, which was brought up everytime he testified for something. Mangano was also called to testify before the Kefauver Committee, but was killed before he could do so.

Re: Tommaso "Tommy" Gagliano [Re: Faithful1] #827500
02/07/15 01:15 PM
02/07/15 01:15 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Faithful1
Dewey probably would have gone after Mangano eventually if Abe Reles not been killed. He was set to go after Anastasia. This was part of the Murder Inc. case. Reles identified him as Anastasia's boss.

But even though Reles's death prevented him to go after Mangano for murder, they could have still tried financial crimes, like tax evasion. Almost every known gangster in the country did have problems with tax agents at the time, even Frank Costello later, despite all his connections. It's interesting by the way that only Al Capone did really find himself in trouble after a tax conviction though (11 years). Most others (not only in Chicago, but everywhere) got off with 1 or 2, rarely 3 years.

There is a book on the subject I had bought, about how the team who brought down Al Capone (not Eliot Ness who played a less prominent role in strictly financial investigations, he wanted to send him down for Prohibition offenses) went to different cities around USA to put in prison local racketeer bosses for financial crimes.
http://www.amazon.com/Money-Trail-Brough...rds=money+trail

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Tommaso "Tommy" Gagliano [Re: BloodlettersandBadmen] #827513
02/07/15 01:52 PM
02/07/15 01:52 PM
nash143 Offline
Made Member
nash143  Offline
Made Member
Rare-ish mugshot (side view at least)

Attached Files Gagliano.jpg
Re: Tommaso "Tommy" Gagliano [Re: nash143] #827560
02/07/15 05:35 PM
02/07/15 05:35 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: nash143

Thanks for that Nash. I always wanted to see the side view of that photograph. There is even a number there on his right shoulder to identify him. If that number matches up with some type of criminal record, then it could be a certified photograph of Tommasso (Gaetano) Gagliano. Thanks again.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: Tommaso "Tommy" Gagliano [Re: Alfa Romeo] #827620
02/08/15 08:01 AM
02/08/15 08:01 AM
USA
BloodlettersandBadmen Offline OP
Made Member
BloodlettersandBadmen  Offline OP
Made Member
USA
Originally Posted By: Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted By: nash143

Thanks for that Nash. I always wanted to see the side view of that photograph. There is even a number there on his right shoulder to identify him. If that number matches up with some type of criminal record, then it could be a certified photograph of Tommasso (Gaetano) Gagliano. Thanks again.

I saw that photo which was identified as Gagliano on one site, and then as another gangster on a different site. The one I used was unique and I didn't see any conflict reports as to who the photo was. But I was still unsure.

Does anyone know when sand where this photo was taken?

Re: Tommaso "Tommy" Gagliano [Re: BloodlettersandBadmen] #827674
02/08/15 01:51 PM
02/08/15 01:51 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
Dewey didn't even know a "Commission" existed when he was prosecuting Luciano. In fact, wiretaps that were placed around the time, for the sole purpose of aiding Dewey's investigation mentioned the prostitutions rackets being run by "The Combine". Which some used in the past as a term to describe the joint council of the families, and with all the mentions of The Combine Dewey came across, Luciano was the only one convicted of anything. He attempted to target the bosses, the big gangsters of the time, ie. Luciano and to a very lesser extent Dutch Shultz. He used prostitution to target the Italian's and there supposed syndicate, but didn't understand at the time how deep it went and how organized they actually were. Dewey is quoted later in his life as saying that he "got the right guy maybe for the wrong crime". He thought the conviction of Luciano would lead to indictments of his counterparts, but it didn't happen.

Re: Tommaso "Tommy" Gagliano [Re: nash143] #827789
02/08/15 09:35 PM
02/08/15 09:35 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
This is the correct Tommaso Gagliano. Don't know who the other person is that was misidentified as Gagliano by the Associated Press.

[img]http://mob-who.blogspot.com/2011/04/gagliano-tommaso-1884-c1951.html[/img]

Last edited by Faithful1; 02/08/15 09:37 PM.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull