GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (U talkin' da me ??), 153 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,860
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,511
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,318
Posts1,058,481
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Genovese Question re: Pete Casella/Philadelphia #826717
02/01/15 12:41 PM
02/01/15 12:41 PM
Downtown NYC
D
downtown Offline OP
Made Member
downtown  Offline OP
D
Made Member
Downtown NYC
Anyone have any idea who was the Genovese Captain that saved Pete Casella from getting killed after Casella nail bombed Phil Testa ? This Capo represented Casella when Pete was called to NYC to meet with Chin, Fat Tony, and Manna. I never have heard anyone say who this Capo is ? Can only think that since Pete Casella was a junk dealer and did a bid for dealing, that it had to be a Genovese junk guy that Pete had met while doing time. Who ever it was did a hell of a job cause Pete was sent packing to Florida and the others involved were all killed. Narducci, Marinucci.

Last edited by downtown; 02/10/15 12:54 AM.

wise old owl sat on a oak , the more he heard the less he spoke , the less he spoke the more he heard , wasn't that a wise ole bird.
Re: Genovese Question [Re: downtown] #826735
02/01/15 02:54 PM
02/01/15 02:54 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
Wow, such a good question. I've also wondered because I doubt casella was particulary valued or relevant. He was a drug trafficker who spent the previous decade in prison so why did his life matter? i really want to know

Re: Genovese Question [Re: downtown] #826761
02/01/15 08:47 PM
02/01/15 08:47 PM
North Jersey
ItalianIrishMix Offline
Underboss
ItalianIrishMix  Offline
Underboss
North Jersey
George Anastasia stated that because he was older (probably meaning that he knew A LOT of people) that they gave him a pass.

I never heard its stated that 1 member saved his life because wasn't the entire scenario set up by the Genovese in the first place? Funzi!

Re: Genovese Question [Re: downtown] #826762
02/01/15 08:49 PM
02/01/15 08:49 PM
North Jersey
ItalianIrishMix Offline
Underboss
ItalianIrishMix  Offline
Underboss
North Jersey
My fault you were talking about Testa, nevermind.

Re: Genovese Question [Re: downtown] #826818
02/02/15 12:18 PM
02/02/15 12:18 PM
R
RollinBones Offline
Underboss
RollinBones  Offline
R
Underboss
In Phil leonettis book it says that a Genovese capo pled casellas case to the chin.

Re: Genovese Question [Re: downtown] #827556
02/07/15 05:09 PM
02/07/15 05:09 PM
Downtown NYC
D
downtown Offline OP
Made Member
downtown  Offline OP
D
Made Member
Downtown NYC
Just thinking about Pete Casella and Rocco Marinucci come to NYC to meet with the Genovese Administration, also on the same afternoon Scarfo and Leonetti are there to meet with the same. Just does not sound to me the way Chin would do things bringing Philadelphia guys to NYC in the afternoon. Chin was an owl who did his meeting after midnight and would not have a parade of people meeting in the afternoon. To much LE to have to deal with. To much scrunity,and no one seem's to know who was the Genovese Capo who represented Pete Casella at this meeting even Leonetti does not provide a name in his book as to who this Capo was. The more I think about it alot of this sitdown seems to false. Not saying that the Genovese Panel did not make the choice as to who the new boss would be in Philadelphia (Scarfo) but just can't see it going down the way Leonetti say's it did.
Originally Posted By: downtown
Anyone have any idea who was the Genovese Captain that saved Pete Casella from getting killed after Casella nail bombed Phil Testa ? This Capo represented Casella when Pete was called to NYC to meet with Chin, Fat Tony, and Manna. I never have heard anyone say who this Capo is ? Can only think that since Pete Casella was a junk dealer and did a bid for dealing, that it had to be a Genovese junk guy that Pete had met while doing time. Who ever it was did a hell of a job cause Pete was sent packing to Florida and the others involved were all killed. Narducci, Marinucci.

wise old owl sat on a oak , the more he heard the less he spoke , the less he spoke the more he heard , wasn't that a wise ole bird.
Re: Genovese Question [Re: downtown] #827720
02/08/15 04:31 PM
02/08/15 04:31 PM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
I would think that it did go down more like Phil said .Who else would know better and why would he change it.
The thing about Chin doing things at night have been true,but that does not mean he is sleeping till 4:00pm sounds like he was a mid morning guy like most of these guys.(and did hold guys till afternoon often)
I can not say for sure but i think that Casella may have been related to that Skipper through marriage,it is just in my head that way I am older and this is what keeps popping in my head.
But if it is not, something BIG to get a pass,for the killing of a boss is like the biggest pass one can get..

Cackling like a banty Rooster.

I love this," "I just love this."
Re: Genovese Question [Re: downtown] #827739
02/08/15 05:16 PM
02/08/15 05:16 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
These meetings took place around the time where LE had the belief that Tony Salerno was the boss. So the heat wouldn't be focused all that much on Chin Gigante at that point in time. The social club meeting, Chin sitting there with a panel of guys, it's all in tune with other claims from other mobsters about meetings with Chin Gigante. Casso presents a similar setting in one of his meetings with the Chin. There isn't much reason to believe that the meeting didn't happen the way Leonetti said. Also at that time, LE had little idea of just how much of a hand NY had in Philly LCN politics at the time. Scarfo was on parole and couldn't be seen meeting with those guys, so he took an associates car and they switched on a highway when they were halfway there, according to Leonetti. So if anyone was watching them, they wouldn't of seen the Philly guys entering to be exact. They would've just figured they were more Genovese associates and would've had little reason to be alarmed.

Another thing to consider, the book claims that the capo who pleaded on Casella's behalf is someone he became close with after they were both doing fed time for drug-trafficking. It doesn't make clear if they were serving time for the same crime, in which they worked together, or if they were two drug guys who became close in prison. But it's worth going over Pete Casella's arrest record, if it's available, and seeing if he were ever indicted with a Genovese guy who's name may seem familiar. It's certainly possible. A quick google search for "Pete Casella arrest record" brings up co-conspirators for a drug trafficking indictment, among the names are a James Santore, Emilio D'Aria, James Leo Massi, Paul Lo Piccolo, Anthony Edward Tarlentino, Nicholas Narducci and a Lorenzo Orlando. This case is from the Sixties, I searched a few of those names and got little as far as a Genovese connection goes, but by order of elimination or just recognizing a name, someone may figure out who the capo actually was. Another thing is this, Pete Casella was old when he attempted that power play, he'd already been away from the scene for quite sometime, and Testa named him his underboss simply for Casella's longevity in Philly Cosa Nostra. Perhaps they let him retire because they figured he wasn't a risk to retaliate and would've been dead soon anyway, which he was.

Re: Genovese Question [Re: downtown] #827742
02/08/15 05:27 PM
02/08/15 05:27 PM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
He got out in the mid 70's he was in for a long time 15 ,20 years .So the bust must have been late 50ish ,I do not know how long they could drag it on back then,so it may have been mid 50's just as easy.
And still who held that much power with Chin to stop him from killing this guy that just killed a BOSS....

Re: Genovese Question [Re: Serpiente] #827806
02/09/15 05:58 AM
02/09/15 05:58 AM
Downtown NYC
D
downtown Offline OP
Made Member
downtown  Offline OP
D
Made Member
Downtown NYC
Originally Posted By: Serpiente
I would think that it did go down more like Phil said .Who else would know better and why would he change it.
The thing about Chin doing things at night have been true,but that does not mean he is sleeping till 4:00pm sounds like he was a mid morning guy like most of these guys.(and did hold guys till afternoon often)
I can not say for sure but i think that Casella may have been related to that Skipper through marriage,it is just in my head that way I am older and this is what keeps popping in my head.
But if it is not, something BIG to get a pass,for the killing of a boss is like the biggest pass one can get..
Leonetti admits to not being at the sitdown with the Genovese panel when Scarfo was made Boss. He says that he was in another location playing cards w/ Benny Eggs, so he really can not say what happened at the table , or who was or was not present. Just trying to figure out who this mysterious Capo was who pleaded on behalf of Pete Casella.

Last edited by downtown; 02/09/15 05:58 AM.

Re: Genovese Question [Re: SinatraClub] #827807
02/09/15 06:02 AM
02/09/15 06:02 AM
Downtown NYC
D
downtown Offline OP
Made Member
downtown  Offline OP
D
Made Member
Downtown NYC
Originally Posted By: SinatraClub
These meetings took place around the time where LE had the belief that Tony Salerno was the boss. So the heat wouldn't be focused all that much on Chin Gigante at that point in time. The social club meeting, Chin sitting there with a panel of guys, it's all in tune with other claims from other mobsters about meetings with Chin Gigante. Casso presents a similar setting in one of his meetings with the Chin. There isn't much reason to believe that the meeting didn't happen the way Leonetti said. Also at that time, LE had little idea of just how much of a hand NY had in Philly LCN politics at the time. Scarfo was on parole and couldn't be seen meeting with those guys, so he took an associates car and they switched on a highway when they were halfway there, according to Leonetti. So if anyone was watching them, they wouldn't of seen the Philly guys entering to be exact. They would've just figured they were more Genovese associates and would've had little reason to be alarmed.

Another thing to consider, the book claims that the capo who pleaded on Casella's behalf is someone he became close with after they were both doing fed time for drug-trafficking. It doesn't make clear if they were serving time for the same crime, in which they worked together, or if they were two drug guys who became close in prison. But it's worth going over Pete Casella's arrest record, if it's available, and seeing if he were ever indicted with a Genovese guy who's name may seem familiar. It's certainly possible. A quick google search for "Pete Casella arrest record" brings up co-conspirators for a drug trafficking indictment, among the names are a James Santore, Emilio D'Aria, James Leo Massi, Paul Lo Piccolo, Anthony Edward Tarlentino, Nicholas Narducci and a Lorenzo Orlando. This case is from the Sixties, I searched a few of those names and got little as far as a Genovese connection goes, but by order of elimination or just recognizing a name, someone may figure out who the capo actually was. Another thing is this, Pete Casella was old when he attempted that power play, he'd already been away from the scene for quite sometime, and Testa named him his underboss simply for Casella's longevity in Philly Cosa Nostra. Perhaps they let him retire because they figured he wasn't a risk to retaliate and would've been dead soon anyway, which he was.
Casso also say's that when he had to go see Chin he would lay down on the floor of a car covered with blankets be driven to an adjoining building then walk thru a rat infested basement before emerging to meet Chin.

Re: Genovese Question [Re: downtown] #827842
02/09/15 11:17 AM
02/09/15 11:17 AM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: downtown
Leonetti admits to not being at the sitdown with the Genovese panel when Scarfo was made Boss. He says that he was in another location playing cards w/ Benny Eggs, so he really can not say what happened at the table , or who was or was not present. Just trying to figure out who this mysterious Capo was who pleaded on behalf of Pete Casella.

His uncle told him what went down at the table.

Re: Genovese Question [Re: downtown] #827895
02/09/15 03:43 PM
02/09/15 03:43 PM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
This is why i stopped thinking about this life so many years ago.
Now to top it off not only did he get a pass but he tried to say that Nicky sr. killed Testa.(I dont know if all knew this)
I am still thinking he was blood with someone,or possible that he was in on or knew about all the moves that were made through the late 70's to get tens of millions in rackets from Philly in Jersey by the west side.
Things just do not go that good for a guy that was out of the rackets for almost 20 years and only back into it for a few years....
Then kills a boss.... Walks ...FISHY ! !

Re: Genovese Question [Re: downtown] #827904
02/09/15 05:14 PM
02/09/15 05:14 PM
W
Wilson101 Offline
Underboss
Wilson101  Offline
W
Underboss
I forgot where I read it, but supposedly after they told Cassela he was on the shelf and not to show his face in philly, cassela tried to shake chin's hand. Haha, obviously Gigante didn't shake his hand and said "get the fuck out of here".

Re: Genovese Question [Re: Serpiente] #827908
02/09/15 06:00 PM
02/09/15 06:00 PM
Downtown NYC
D
downtown Offline OP
Made Member
downtown  Offline OP
D
Made Member
Downtown NYC
This is why i stopped thinking about this life so many years ago.
Now to top it off not only did he get a pass but he tried to say that Nicky sr. killed Testa.(I dont know if all knew this)
I am still thinking he was blood with someone,or possible that he was in on or knew about all the moves that were made through the late 70's to get tens of millions in rackets from Philly in Jersey by the west side.
Things just do not go that good for a guy that was out of the rackets for almost 20 years and only back into it for a few years....
Then kills a boss.... Walks ...FISHY ! !
Knowing what had happend to Caponigro and Salerno for killing Ange Bruno , Pete Casella goes to NYC to sit down with the people responsible for killing Caponigro and Salerno and he is just as guilty as killing Testa as they were Bruno ? I Don't think that there was a Capo who went to bat for Casella. There was some kinda deal in place to kill Testa blame Casella and promote Scarfo. Scarfo could not be the one that murdered Testa as Testa was his Boss. The other Bosses would not agree with that so they needed Casella to do the dirty work. Casella gets a pre agreeded to pass and Scarfo is then elevated to Boss. Scarfo is leery about Salvy finding out about this move that killed his Dad and uses the excuse of Salvy not marrying Chuckie Merlino's daughter against Salvy and has him killed. Same plot that the Genovese used to kill Bruno (Using Funzi) they now used again with Casella. Ya Think ?

Re: Genovese Question [Re: downtown] #827924
02/09/15 08:33 PM
02/09/15 08:33 PM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline
acting associate
mikeyballs211  Offline
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs
Downtown ive never heard that theory before but just by connecting some dots and having an idea how treacherous scarfo was I guess its possible...however leonetti really describes how close scarfo and phil were I doubt he woulda killed his friend for that I mean he was still consigliere but who knows with that crazy lil fuck

"No, no, you aint alrite Spyder you got alotta fuckin problems"
Re: Genovese Question [Re: mikeyballs211] #827939
02/10/15 12:40 AM
02/10/15 12:40 AM
Downtown NYC
D
downtown Offline OP
Made Member
downtown  Offline OP
D
Made Member
Downtown NYC
Originally Posted By: mikeyballs211
Downtown ive never heard that theory before but just by connecting some dots and having an idea how treacherous scarfo was I guess its possible...however leonetti really describes how close scarfo and phil were I doubt he woulda killed his friend for that I mean he was still consigliere but who knows with that crazy lil fuck
How about Louis (Bobby) Manna's part in this plot he is the Genovese family Consigliere Hoboken NJ guy and Scarfo supporter who ran his daily mob activities out of CASELLA"S Restaurant @ 615 1st Street Hoboken NJ ? Strange that Pete Casella gets pass to walk after killing a Boss and Bobby Manna is part of the group that gives him his pass/walking papers and Mannas NJ HQ"s is named CASELLA'S Restaurant. Starting to think that there is a Casella/Manna connection and Manna is the guy that used Casella to kill Testa. This results in Scarfo becoming Boss....CASELLA"S Restaurant is also the place where Bobby Manna was caught on a wiretap by the FBI ploting the murders of John and Gene Gotti.

Last edited by downtown; 02/10/15 01:05 AM.

Re: Genovese Question [Re: downtown] #827942
02/10/15 04:27 AM
02/10/15 04:27 AM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
I always thought there was some type of connection. The little guy was no slouch....

Re: Genovese Question [Re: Wilson101] #827965
02/10/15 09:44 AM
02/10/15 09:44 AM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: VegasMikey
I forgot where I read it, but supposedly after they told Cassela he was on the shelf and not to show his face in philly, cassela tried to shake chin's hand. Haha, obviously Gigante didn't shake his hand and said "get the fuck out of here".

Not what the book and sentence actually says. After the meeting was up, Casella extended his hand toward Chin, and instead of shaking his hand,Gigante stared at him with disgust and spit on the floor in his direction and motioned one of his men to escort him out of the Triangle Club.

And I don't know where the story of Casella attempting to blame Scarfo for the Testa murder comes from. According to Leonetti, his uncle told them that as soon as they sat at the table, Chin said to Casella that they knew what happened and for him to not lie to them. After this, according to Leonetti, from Scarfo's mouth, Casella immediately says "It was me. It was my idea. Me, Chickie Narducci, and Rocco Marinucci".

And the Genovese already had full control of Philly after the Bruno murder. Phil Testa was told that he'd be the new boss by Chin Gigante. He was basically handpicked by the Genovese. So much so that they told him to make Scarfo his underboss, he made him consigliere though for whatever reason. But considering that the Genovese pretty much handpicked Phil Testa to be the boss, why would they plot against him and use Casella & Narducci, just to name Scarfo boss when they already had Testa in their pocket? That theory doesn't make much sense considering the facts.

Last edited by SinatraClub; 02/10/15 09:54 AM.
Re: Genovese Question [Re: downtown] #827974
02/10/15 10:25 AM
02/10/15 10:25 AM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
I think he was saying after the fact .Casella acted on his own and since he was in so tight with them that he got the pass.
Who knows what was really going on the years or months prior to the killing....

I Think..

Re: Genovese Question [Re: SinatraClub] #827975
02/10/15 10:26 AM
02/10/15 10:26 AM
Downtown NYC
D
downtown Offline OP
Made Member
downtown  Offline OP
D
Made Member
Downtown NYC
Originally Posted By: SinatraClub
[quote=VegasMikey]I forgot where I read it, but supposedly after they told Cassela he was on the shelf and not to show his face in philly, cassela tried to shake chin's hand. Haha, obviously Gigante didn't shake his hand and said "get the fuck out of here".
Wow,if Casella was in on this move then the whole non handshake was just a move to exonerate Chin from any involvment. Chin could not shake his hand as it would be admitting to allowing a Boss to be killed. Casella was supposed to DIE. Period. Why he gets a pass I do not know.
There is also a story out there about Frank Costello spiting on the floor at Chins feet after Frank Costello refused to testify against Chin as the shooter who shot Frank in the head after Chin extended his hand in Frank Costello's direction and saying "Thank's Frank". What ever the true story is who the hell know's? Testa was a Sicilian , Scarfo HATED Siclian's and always called them GREEDY and TREACHEROUS. I do not ever remember reading or hearing about Phil Leonetti ever even meeting Chin. The main thing here is who did the Chin want to take over Testa inherited the spot cause he was the # 2. Making Scarfo # 3 behind Pete Casella who was Testa's 1st choice for the UB spot. Scarfo fully expected to be named to the # 2 slot by Testa and was pissed when he did not get it. Again only speculation about all of this but it is food for thought.

Last edited by downtown; 02/10/15 10:36 AM.

Re: Genovese Question re: Pete Casella/Philadelphia [Re: downtown] #850483
07/09/15 05:45 AM
07/09/15 05:45 AM
Downtown NYC
D
downtown Offline OP
Made Member
downtown  Offline OP
D
Made Member
Downtown NYC
ttt

Re: Genovese Question re: Pete Casella/Philadelphia [Re: downtown] #850547
07/09/15 05:23 PM
07/09/15 05:23 PM
In exile watching star wars an...
S
Skinny Offline
X
Skinny  Offline
X
S
Underboss
In exile watching star wars an...
I read leonettis book as well, I always assumed they were referring to manna. He always did lots of business with philly, back when numbers were huge in jersey city. casellas the restaurant was owned by another guy that had nothing to do with philly. casella is a pretty common itilian name as far as they go.

Re: Genovese Question re: Pete Casella/Philadelphia [Re: downtown] #850590
07/09/15 08:24 PM
07/09/15 08:24 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
I heard it was through Gérardo Catena that Casella got a pass.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Genovese Question re: Pete Casella/Philadelphia [Re: downtown] #850613
07/09/15 10:02 PM
07/09/15 10:02 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

G.v that would make sense. Retired but still huge respect.

Re: Genovese Question re: Pete Casella/Philadelphia [Re: downtown] #850614
07/09/15 10:03 PM
07/09/15 10:03 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Also in Florida were he could tell the other bosses I'll keep my eye on him down here and he'll never do anything again.

Re: Genovese Question re: Pete Casella/Philadelphia [Re: downtown] #850648
07/09/15 11:58 PM
07/09/15 11:58 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
The story goes that Catena asked Marco Reginelli for a favor back in the 1950s, who in turned tapped Felix Bocchicchio and Peter Casella to get the job done.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Genovese Question re: Pete Casella/Philadelphia [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #850930
07/11/15 03:46 PM
07/11/15 03:46 PM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
I heard it was through Gérardo Catena that Casella got a pass.

Thats the name !!!

Re: Genovese Question re: Pete Casella/Philadelphia [Re: downtown] #850931
07/11/15 03:47 PM
07/11/15 03:47 PM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
Now I can recall being told that they were blood or wife's were blood !

Sucks getting old !

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull