GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (joepuzzles234, 1 invisible), 336 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,925
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,830
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Augie-Yale Territory #825643
01/25/15 11:47 AM
01/25/15 11:47 AM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline OP
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline OP
Underboss
NJ/CA
After Yale was clipped who took over his men and his Brooklyn territory?

Re: Augie-Yale Territory [Re: Alfanosgirl] #825651
01/25/15 12:50 PM
01/25/15 12:50 PM
Novi Sad,Serbia
alexandarns Offline
Underboss
alexandarns  Offline
Underboss
Novi Sad,Serbia
Originally Posted By: Alfanosgirl
After Yale was clipped who took over his men and his Brooklyn territory?

Alfanos girl i am not too sure but i think it was the Colombos,acctually to be clear Joe Profaci.There were a lot of old time mobsters that came from Sicily and settled in Bensonhurst.Yale lived on 14th ave,and had a funeral parlor across the street.So joe profaci moved in on it,am just talking about that part of Booklyn.Dont know what happened to other parts of his territory.Colombos were always brooklyn based,Dyker heights,Bhurst and the waterfront,Red hook,Carrol Gardens etc.Sonny Franzese was from and had a crew up in Billyburg and Greenpoint.

Re: Augie-Yale Territory [Re: Alfanosgirl] #825654
01/25/15 01:15 PM
01/25/15 01:15 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline OP
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline OP
Underboss
NJ/CA
Alex that's what they say that it was split between Masseria and Profaci who eventually took over that territory as he rose through the ranks. The Boiardo book claims that he was aligned against the anti-Capone Brooklyn faction helping Yale with his booze shipments across the country. I never knew this or read this before from any other sources so that's why I am wondering if there is any truth to it. Makes sense though since Longy was with Luciano, Capone, and Masseria. Boiardo had to be working against them.

Re: Augie-Yale Territory [Re: Alfanosgirl] #825663
01/25/15 02:57 PM
01/25/15 02:57 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Hey Alfanosgirl,

Bill Bonanno, who got the info from his father, said that Yale had a very large crew, implied that Masseria (his boss) saw him as a threat and took him out, then his crew was split between several Families. If it was split it was between Masseria and Mineo since Profaci was not yet a boss. Remember though, Joe Bonanno was not yet a made member himself when Yale was killed, so he had to have been told this by others. This info came from "The Last Testament of Bill Bonanno." I was also in contact with Bill before he died, but he kept this info for himself for the book. Probably could have clarified some things had we been able to discuss it, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Also, we only can confirm a small number of names who were actually under Yale as part of his crew. His top lieutenant was Anthony Carfano (AKA Little Augie Pisano), who became the capo of the crew after Yale was killed. According to a relative of Carfano, he helped set up Yale to be killed. The actual killers were people from Al Capone's crew in Chicago, including some of the "American Boys."

In Tony Scaduto's book on Lucky Luciano, he had a source who told him that Yale was doing bootlegging with Salvatore Maranzano, had some sort of arrangement; Maranzano was not yet fighting against Masseria, so even if this is true it would have been irrelevant. Capone biographers claim that Yale was hijacking trucks destined for Chicago and that Capone was angry at Yale for killing his friend, Jimmy D'Amato, in 1927. Yale was killed almost a year to the day that D'Amato was killed, but that could have been a coincidence. After all is said and done we have a few facts and lots of speculation.

Re: Augie-Yale Territory [Re: Alfanosgirl] #825682
01/25/15 04:59 PM
01/25/15 04:59 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline OP
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline OP
Underboss
NJ/CA
Faithful,

I have some questions for you.

Was Mineo the head of what is now the Gambino family?
In this book it says that D'Amato was put into Yale's crew by Capone to keep an eye on Yale. Yale found out and D'Amato was killed. Was that true?

Augie Pisano, he was with Adonis right, but when he was, were they under Mineo or Masseria or someone else?

(I should have know better than to put Profaci in the same rank as Masseria)

I could only imagine the answers Bill Bonanno could have given you. That's too bad. I guess there are some things we will never know.

Re: Augie-Yale Territory [Re: Alfanosgirl] #825683
01/25/15 05:19 PM
01/25/15 05:19 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
faithful, ive just read "the mob and the city" by alex hortis. great read, he really did a ton of research for his book. he lays out in his book the origin of the five families as he sees it. very interesting. I strongly recommend his work.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: Augie-Yale Territory [Re: Binnie_Coll] #825705
01/25/15 07:24 PM
01/25/15 07:24 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
But Capone couldn't have sent gunmen in to New York and killed Yale, who depending on opinion, was either a group leader for Masseria or maybe even the head of his own family. He couldn't have done it without somebody powerful in New York giving permission.

Re: Augie-Yale Territory [Re: Alfanosgirl] #825741
01/26/15 12:59 AM
01/26/15 12:59 AM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Alfanosgirl:

What I've discovered and concluded about Mineo is that he became a boss around the same time D'Aquila did, around 1912. Both Mineo and D'Aquila came from Palermo, but did not get along. Mineo's territory corresponds to the Profacis and there are other indicators that lead me to conclude that Mineo was the first boss of the Profaci Family. Then in 1928 Mineo and Masseria conspired to kill D'Aquila. There were probably some insiders too that helped. When D'Aquila was killed in October, Mineo became the boss of his family and arranged for Salvatore DiBella to head his old Family, but still Mineo had the final word. What Masseria got out of this is that he replaced D'Aquila as Boss of Bosses.

D'Amato was already living in Brooklyn. Capone didn't place him there, but was probably friendly with him. Some claim that D'Amato was a spy for Capone. Maybe he was or maybe he wasn't.

Carfano was under Yale, then moved up when Yale was killed. With Adonis it's a guess that he was under Yale, but we don't know for certain. We really don't know much about Adonis in the 1920s, but he reportedly became a capo so that means that he and Carfano were equals. They were both under Masseria, then Luciano and Costello. Mineo's original Family became the Profacis and his second became the Gambinos.

Yes, it would have been great if Bill B. had opened up more, we probably could have gotten more answers, but that's how it goes.

Binnie: I highly recommend Alex's book. If you look in the acknowledgements you'll see my name as someone who helped. (This doesn't mean I'm taking credit for his work, only that I helped, nothing more and nothing less.)

BarrettM: There is physical evidence and statements that confirm that Capone's people carried out Yale's hit. There's nothing unusual for a boss to call on the capo of one crew to kill the capo of another. They were both under Masseria under that time. Masseria had Yale killed just like Genovese had Carfano killed 30 years later.

Re: Augie-Yale Territory [Re: Faithful1] #825858
01/26/15 03:48 PM
01/26/15 03:48 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
@Faithful. Of course, I agree with you. What I'm saying is the common narrative among non-mob watchers (and some mob watchers) is that Capone killed Yale unsanctioned, under Masseria's nose.

Thanks for the info about Salvatore Dibella! So the Profaci lineage went Mineo > Dibella >Profaci? I knew about Dibella. Not Mineo. Very interesting

Last edited by BarrettM; 01/26/15 03:49 PM.
Re: Augie-Yale Territory [Re: Alfanosgirl] #825886
01/26/15 07:53 PM
01/26/15 07:53 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline OP
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline OP
Underboss
NJ/CA
Thank you so much Faithul for answering my questions in such depth. I never realized just how powerful D'Aquila was; he sure was a force to be reckoned with. Decided to brush up a little bit on the early 1900's by reading a few chapters of the First Family. Lots of good information to digest. To be cont'd...

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull