GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (RushStreet, GaryH), 397 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,982
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,355
Posts1,059,108
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sicilians in New York City. #822998
01/09/15 01:39 PM
01/09/15 01:39 PM
Novi Sad,Serbia
alexandarns Offline OP
Underboss
alexandarns  Offline OP
Underboss
Novi Sad,Serbia
Hey guys,just wanted to get your opinion or if somebody acctually knows what are the neighbourhoods that emigrant Sicilians used to come to in large numbers..?I'm talking about early 20th century to mid.For example i know that Sicilians from Castelmmare del Golfo came to Williamsburgh,and also Bhurst had a lot italians from Sicily.What do you guys think?

Re: Sicilians in New York City. Of [Re: alexandarns] #823427
01/11/15 05:53 PM
01/11/15 05:53 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
About 80 percent of the ~5 million Italians who immigrated to America were from Sicily, Calabria and the Naples area. The hundreds of thousands who settled in NYC started out in Lower Manhattan's Little Italy, which has now been almost totally absorbed in Chinatown. Arthur Avenue in the Bronx, and East New York and Canarsie in Brooklyn, were major Italian American neighborhoods. Bensonhurst in Brooklyn is a remaining big Italian neighborhood in the city. How many in Bensonhurst are Sicilian, vs. others, I couldn't say. Today Italian Americans are all over the city, and mostly in the suburbs, just like other onetime immigrant groups.

In my perception, none of the neighborhoods were exclusively Sicilian vs. exclusively Napolitan' or Calabrese--they lived mostly (but not always) together. Often an entire apartment building, or a side of a street, might have been populated by one group or the other, but not the entire neighborhood.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Sicilians in New York City. Of [Re: alexandarns] #823496
01/12/15 07:50 AM
01/12/15 07:50 AM
TheKillingJoke Offline
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline
Underboss
I've heard that initially most Sicilians kept to themselves, as did Campanians and Calabrians. But I think nowadays a lot of Italian-Americans might have a combination of Italian ancestries.

Re: Sicilians in New York City. Of [Re: Turnbull] #823503
01/12/15 08:46 AM
01/12/15 08:46 AM
DonCarlo76 Offline
Wiseguy
DonCarlo76  Offline
Wiseguy
I'm a born and bred Sicilian American from Bensonhurst. Although it has changed greatly in the last 20 years, Bensonhurst does maintain a strong Italian immigrant population. Mainly Sicilians, 18th Ave was known as Little Sicily. Growing up almost all of the Italians in the neighborhood were from towns surrounding Palermo or towns near Mola di Bari. Like I said it has changed a great deal but I'd say no other neighborhood in NYC comes close to being an authentic Italian neighborhood that still speaks Italian like the Bensonhurst/Dyker Heights/Gravesend area.

Re: Sicilians in New York City. Of [Re: DonCarlo76] #823571
01/12/15 04:05 PM
01/12/15 04:05 PM
Novi Sad,Serbia
alexandarns Offline OP
Underboss
alexandarns  Offline OP
Underboss
Novi Sad,Serbia
Originally Posted By: DonCarlo76
I'm a born and bred Sicilian American from Bensonhurst. Although it has changed greatly in the last 20 years, Bensonhurst does maintain a strong Italian immigrant population. Mainly Sicilians, 18th Ave was known as Little Sicily. Growing up almost all of the Italians in the neighborhood were from towns surrounding Palermo or towns near Mola di Bari. Like I said it has changed a great deal but I'd say no other neighborhood in NYC comes close to being an authentic Italian neighborhood that still speaks Italian like the Bensonhurst/Dyker Heights/Gravesend area.

True Don Carlo,my mother is from 17th ave she says the same thing.Although her familly is not from Sicily,she says a very big part of the Italian americans that lived there were in fact from the area around Palermo.When i was there in 08,there were a lot of Italians but a lot of Russians and such aswell.Even today there are a lot of social clubs,where men from a specific town or region meet.
Also,read that a lot of sicilians from Trapani,palermo and agrigento living in Bushwick,Brooklyn.In 70 they were all gone,and Puertoricans got that place.Dyker Heights acctually has a highest percentage of Italians in Brooklyn in the precent time.

Re: Sicilians in New York City. Of [Re: DonCarlo76] #823607
01/12/15 08:22 PM
01/12/15 08:22 PM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand

How about Howard Beach?? I read that still had a high italian population?

Re: Sicilians in New York City. Of [Re: NickyScarfo] #823979
01/14/15 02:58 PM
01/14/15 02:58 PM
Novi Sad,Serbia
alexandarns Offline OP
Underboss
alexandarns  Offline OP
Underboss
Novi Sad,Serbia
Originally Posted By: NickyScarfo

How about Howard Beach?? I read that still had a high italian population?

Yeah big Italian population,middle class to upper.

Re: Sicilians in New York City. Of [Re: alexandarns] #828264
02/11/15 10:04 PM
02/11/15 10:04 PM
O
OldVines Offline
Wiseguy
OldVines  Offline
O
Wiseguy
in the bronx. Morris Park avenue had a high concentration of first generation italians, mostly sicilian. it was considered an upper middle class area. across from williamsbridge road to white plains road, up from bronxdale av. beginning at tremont down to pelham parkway. many a mobster had or met at social clubs there.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull