GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 292 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,916
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,330
Posts1,058,775
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"You can act like a man!" #814305
11/18/14 06:40 PM
11/18/14 06:40 PM
New York, NY
Questadt Offline OP
Button
Questadt  Offline OP
Button
New York, NY
One of the aspects of the Godfather films that makes them so great is the high quality of narrative that they exhibit. Virtually every scene, every snippet of dialogue, every nuance has a purpose - either to develop or explore a character and/or a subculture, or to advance the plot. Very little of it is gratuitous; very little is inconsequential.

In the scene during Connie's wedding reception, while Johnny Fontane is unloading his troubles onto Don Vito, Vito suddenly erupts in anger:

Quote:
You can act like a man! What's the matter with you? Is this how you've turned out? A Hollywood finocchio who cries like a woman? What can I do? What can I do?

It's not clear to me just what function this scene is supposed to serve. Is it simply to establish Vito's strict, traditional outlook on manhood - in order to flesh out the details of Vito's character for the audience? Or is it to set up Tom's visit to Jack Woltz and all that it entails - in order to establish even more important details about Vito's character and values?

Somewhat of both? Anything that I've missed? Something else?

~ Q

Last edited by Questadt; 11/18/14 06:43 PM.

"A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns."
Re: "You can act like a man!" [Re: Questadt] #814310
11/18/14 07:23 PM
11/18/14 07:23 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Q, i think it's both. If someone didn't read the novel, they may get the impression that Vito is an easy going guy who just happens to have alot of friends. I think that scene establishes that there is an element of his personality that asserts aggression when that aggression serves a purpose. I think it also establishes him as a man's man.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: "You can act like a man!" [Re: olivant] #814311
11/18/14 07:29 PM
11/18/14 07:29 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
To me, the telling part is what comes next: "Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man who doesn't spend time with his family is not a real man." It just so happens that Sonny enters the room on the last sentence.

What Vito's saying is: "Ok, you philander, you run around with a Hollywood crowd, you screw around with the studio boss's protégé. It's all understandable, part of the human condition. But the bottom line is that you are anchored in your family--that's what counts."

I bet if Johnny hadn't answered, "Sure, I do" to Vito's question, Vito's help with Woltz wouldn't have been so forthcoming.

Also couple that look he gave Sonny when Sonny entered the office with his later admonition to Sonny at the end of the Sol meeting: "What'sa matter with you? I think all that comedy you're playing with that young girl is making your brain soft." He's giving Sonny a similar message: "Play around if you have to. But never let it get in the way of business."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "You can act like a man!" [Re: Questadt] #814337
11/19/14 05:47 AM
11/19/14 05:47 AM
J
jrp316 Offline
Wiseguy
jrp316  Offline
J
Wiseguy
That scene had me in stitches the first few times I saw it. We're used to a calm, mild mannered Vito and suddenly *WHAM*, that big outburst. Both Johnny and Tom are laughing during it all. I think Vito's intent there was to shut down Johnny's whining funk and to get his full attention. His outburst was an attention getter, and it definitely succeeded. Vito was then able to communicate man to man with Johnny, not man to whiny crybaby.

Ever try to talk calmly to someone who's on a roll of whining? You might as well be talking to a wall.

Re: "You can act like a man!" [Re: jrp316] #814341
11/19/14 07:04 AM
11/19/14 07:04 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Questadt makes a great observation about how many "throw away" phrases carry a much deeper meaning in the Godfather. Latey I have been thinking about such a line, and eas going to start a thread, but it can just as welll go here. It is the line in the final scene with Michael and Vito together. During it, Vito asks Michael if he is happy with his wife and family, and he comments that Anthony is looking more and more like Michael every day. Michael retorts that Anthony is only three but he already can read the funny papers.
Vito/Brando takes note of this and reflects on it and repeats, with a smile, "Reads the funny papers." This summarizes the dream Vito carried with him his whole life. Vito at age three already knew the harsh violence of Sicily, and a few years later was smuggled to America, where he refused to dance on strings like a puppet. He is carrying great regret that Michael has had to get mixed up in all this family business, but in that throw away line, we see a spark of hope in Vito that at least Anthony may enjoy the fruits of all that went before. It sets the tale nicely for the tragedies that unfold in II and III.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: "You can act like a man!" [Re: Questadt] #814349
11/19/14 07:58 AM
11/19/14 07:58 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Questdat, I understand why you question the function of this particular scene. As is so often the case, the novel gives us a better, more detailed account of what happened. Not only did Johnny rattle off his list of grievances as mentioned in the film, Johnny tells Vito 1) that he gave his ex-wife and kids more than the court ordered in financial support, 2) he hit his current wife after allowing her to cheat on him, 3) and that made propoganda films against the advice of Vito and which angered Woltz.

In the film, there are only about :20 - :30 for Johnny to account for his troubles. Regardless, I think this exchange is two-fold: 1) to demonstrate Vito's power and 2) to show that Vito will defend those who show him respect, loyalty, or who have blood-ties.

What really worked well in the novel that was impossible to put in the film was when Puzo asked how each of Vito's sons would have reacted to the reproach Vito gave to Johnny. Johnny and Hagen both chuckled. Puzo speculated that Sonny would have rebelled and stormed out, Fredo would have cowered to such a tongue-lashing, and Michael would have remained quiet and not be heard from for weeks.

Re: "You can act like a man!" [Re: dontomasso] #814359
11/19/14 09:01 AM
11/19/14 09:01 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Questadt makes a great observation about how many "throw away" phrases carry a much deeper meaning in the Godfather. Latey I have been thinking about such a line, and eas going to start a thread, but it can just as welll go here. It is the line in the final scene with Michael and Vito together. During it, Vito asks Michael if he is happy with his wife and family, and he comments that Anthony is looking more and more like Michael every day. Michael retorts that Anthony is only three but he already can read the funny papers.
Vito/Brando takes note of this and reflects on it and repeats, with a smile, "Reads the funny papers." This summarizes the dream Vito carried with him his whole life. Vito at age three already knew the harsh violence of Sicily, and a few years later was smuggled to America, where he refused to dance on strings like a puppet. He is carrying great regret that Michael has had to get mixed up in all this family business, but in that throw away line, we see a spark of hope in Vito that at least Anthony may enjoy the fruits of all that went before. It sets the tale nicely for the tragedies that unfold in II and III.

Insightful analysis, dt. smile

Growing up in NYC, I noticed that Italians called the comic strips "funny papers"; Irish called them "the funnies;" Jews called them "the jokes."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "You can act like a man!" [Re: Questadt] #816125
11/29/14 11:33 PM
11/29/14 11:33 PM
The US of Frickin A!!!
Tru_Bizelli Offline
Humble Friend of Yours!
Tru_Bizelli  Offline
Humble Friend of Yours!
Made Member
The US of Frickin A!!!
I think all wiseguys are missing some balls.

~ Woke Up This Morning And Bought Myself A Gun ~
~ Curtis "Ray Biselliano" Bizelli ~

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull