GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (m2w, 1 invisible), 312 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,493
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,925
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,336
Posts1,058,841
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? #812550
11/09/14 12:20 PM
11/09/14 12:20 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
ive read many times that old joe was involved with frank Costello, and others in bootlegging. now, the kennedy family will never admit this. they continue to hold him in a saintly glow. however ive read that there is evidence proving that he was deeply involved with mobsters and bootlegging. the book I read was "sins of the father" by Ronald Kessler.
was old joe a bootlegger? what do you think?

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812553
11/09/14 12:22 PM
11/09/14 12:22 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Of course he was a bootlegger.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812554
11/09/14 12:23 PM
11/09/14 12:23 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

I still say the Bush dynasty left more collateral damage.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Moe_Tilden] #812559
11/09/14 12:33 PM
11/09/14 12:33 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: Moe_Tilden
I still say the Bush dynasty left more collateral damage.

you will get no argument out of me on that post.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812645
11/09/14 08:41 PM
11/09/14 08:41 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
I think he was not only a bootlegger, but also a gangster.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Alfa Romeo] #812646
11/09/14 08:45 PM
11/09/14 08:45 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Alfa_Romeo
I think he was not only a bootlegger, but also a gangster.

I agree. It's just that being Irish, which lacks the traditional structure of LCN, coupled with the fact that he paid for his "legitimacy" at a relatively young age, it just wasn't as obvious. But Joe Kennedy had bodies under his belt. No doubt in my mind.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: pizzaboy] #812647
11/09/14 08:56 PM
11/09/14 08:56 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
I agree. It's just that being Irish, which lacks the traditional structure of LCN, coupled with the fact that he paid for his "legitimacy" at a relatively young age, it just wasn't as obvious. But Joe Kennedy had bodies under his belt. No doubt in my mind.

That's really the catch. The same structure (Cosa Nostra) that allowed Italians to dominate the multi ethnic organized crime world...also chained them to it. The Jews and Irish got out and assimilated far earlier in many cases. Just an observation.

And we're on the same page about Joe Kennedy.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812659
11/10/14 12:09 AM
11/10/14 12:09 AM
Illinois
F_white Offline
Underboss
F_white  Offline
Underboss
Illinois
Without a doubt a bootlegger.

From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn.

Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812668
11/10/14 03:26 AM
11/10/14 03:26 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Some people deny his bootleging ventures just because in the early 1930's,when Prohibition was repealed, Kennedy formed a partnership with high profile figures and opened a firm for importing legal whiskey and other kind of booze.I really dont see the point of that buecause there were also mobsters who opened legal firms after prohibition and sold legal booze...in other words they just stayed in the business and that was that.

They also deny Kennedy being a stock manipulator because at the time he was too busy with other problems lol

I belive that he was a bootlegger and had mob ties because there were several contracts put on his head by rival bootleggers and mobsters.

I also used to read somewhere about reports that he had a full support for the nazis as well and that made big problems with one of his campaigns or something

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812680
11/10/14 06:59 AM
11/10/14 06:59 AM
Hamilton
Scalish Offline
Underboss
Scalish  Offline
Underboss
Hamilton
Well if anyone believes in Karma here, then he got it 2 fold watching both his kids getting clipped.

Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812727
11/10/14 10:55 AM
11/10/14 10:55 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_P._Kennedy,_Sr.

In the 1920s Kennedy made huge profits from reorganizing and refinancing several Hollywood studios, ultimately merging several acquisitions into Radio-Keith-Orpheum (RKO) studios.[2]

After Prohibition of alcohol ended in 1933, Kennedy consolidated an even larger fortune when he traveled to Scotland with FDR's son, James Roosevelt, to buy distribution rights for Scotch whisky. His company,× Importers, became the exclusive× American agent for Gordon's Gin and Dewar's Scotch. In addition,× Kennedy purchased spirits-importation rights from Schenley Industries, a firm in Canada.[2] He owned the largest office building in the country, Chicago's Merchandise Mart, giving his family an important base in that city and an alliance with the Irish-American political leadership there.

There is no evidence that Kennedy Sr. was a bootlegger

Rather he used his friendship with Roosevelt and his political connections to do business after Prohibition, flooding the usa with quality liquor, in the 20s became rich thanks to the stock market.

Scalish about his sons, Kennedy Sr. had ties with the Patriarcas, and in any case don't think to the karma, if you do business with certain people and you promise certain things, it's normal that if you don't keep your promises, it's normal that you should expect a reaction.

John and Bobby knew that his father had made certain promises to the Mafia?
if yes,they thought to be safe and untouchable? they didn't know that had been killed three presidents before JFK?
John, Bobby and their father have sinned omnipotent thinking they are invincible and we know what happened.

Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Toodoped] #812733
11/10/14 11:12 AM
11/10/14 11:12 AM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Toodoped
Some people deny his bootleging ventures just because in the early 1930's,when Prohibition was repealed, Kennedy formed a partnership with high profile figures and opened a firm for importing legal whiskey and other kind of booze.I really dont see the point of that buecause there were also mobsters who opened legal firms after prohibition and sold legal booze...in other words they just stayed in the business and that was that.

They also deny Kennedy being a stock manipulator because at the time he was too busy with other problems lol

I belive that he was a bootlegger and had mob ties because there were several contracts put on his head by rival bootleggers and mobsters.

I also used to read somewhere about reports that he had a full support for the nazis as well and that made big problems with one of his campaigns or something

He didn't have full support the Nazi's, he identified with Hitler and his views on Democracy.

And Joe Kennedy was a bootlegger/racketeer. There's numerous circumstantial proofs of this such as testimony from other Bootleggers at the time. Majority of his fortune came through prohibition and profiting off the illegal transport and distribution of alcohol. There was a special on the History channel called Rumrunners...About guys who were in the trade during prohibition, a lot of them were still alive when the documentary was filmed and many of them, say Kennedy was a bootlegger, a handful claimed to have even been runners for him. This has become one of the worst kept secrets in history, in regards of the Kennedy's. That much is clear, as far as him being a killer and a straight up gangster, I've never heard of that.

Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812753
11/10/14 03:49 PM
11/10/14 03:49 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
vanity fair magazine, had a story about his dealings in Hollywood and they made no bones about the fact that he was a stock swindler when he was the holder of movie studio stock.

the book " sins of the father" by Ronald Kessler. debunks all the kennedy family myths about this guy. if jfk ran today in the information age, the kennedys could not cover up his criminal activities. as they did in 1960.

furio from naples. there certainly is evidence he was a bootlegger. you are wrong.

Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: furio_from_naples] #812791
11/10/14 06:55 PM
11/10/14 06:55 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
What I noticed about wikipedia is that many times, controversial information about people is omitted. It could be conspiracy. It could be simply fear of lawsuits.

Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812806
11/10/14 09:10 PM
11/10/14 09:10 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
alfa, yes, and I think that is " yellow journalism"
they do the same thing with hoover, the people are dead now.

tell the truth!! they cant' be sued if it's true.

Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812972
11/11/14 03:05 PM
11/11/14 03:05 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
In the Five Families Selwyn Raab says that Joe Kennedy also set up liquor deals through Frank Costello.

Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812975
11/11/14 03:06 PM
11/11/14 03:06 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
alfa, yes, and I think that is " yellow journalism"
they do the same thing with hoover, the people are dead now.

tell the truth!! they cant' be sued if it's true.

Wikipedia is yellow journalism? lol lol.

Hint: It's not journalism AT ALL when anyone can sign on and alter the page wink.

Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: SinatraClub] #813005
11/11/14 04:25 PM
11/11/14 04:25 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: SinatraClub
In the Five Families Selwyn Raab says that Joe Kennedy also set up liquor deals through Frank Costello.

I read that book also, and Selwyn raab is as good of a source that you can find, this man was just as big a bootlegger as any of them.

and he never had the honor that Italians had, he proved that during the second world war.

Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #813020
11/11/14 04:45 PM
11/11/14 04:45 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
Originally Posted By: SinatraClub

I read that book also, and Selwyn raab is as good of a source that you can find, this man was just as big a bootlegger as any of them.

Raab is tops in that field.

Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Alfa Romeo] #813028
11/11/14 05:06 PM
11/11/14 05:06 PM
In a wide open city
Tony_Pro Offline
Capo
Tony_Pro  Offline
Capo
In a wide open city
Quote:

That's really the catch. The same structure (Cosa Nostra) that allowed Italians to dominate the multi ethnic organized crime world...also chained them to it. The Jews and Irish got out and assimilated far earlier in many cases. Just an observation.

And we're on the same page about Joe Kennedy.

Also, the nature of Irish OC and the nature of political machines in northern cities at the time (1860s-1920s) married Irish OC to "legitimate politics". Joeseph P. Kennedy's father was almost archetypal in this, he went from Saloon-keeper/grocer and nieghborhood "fixer" who held-sway over the neighboerhood toughs to politician millionire.

It's rare you see actual cosa nostra members engaging in politics, they prefeered working with arms-lengh associaties whom they owned. I can only think of one, Pat Marcy, and that's if you beleive Bill Roemer that he was actually made into the Outfit. Maybe some more knowledgable Chicago people know more than I do.

I think the book is still out on Kennedy's bootlegging. A few rumors and tales told by career criminals doesn't amount to much evidence. Joseph P. Kennedy was definately a dirty guy who manipulated the stock market among other things. But I find it hard to beleive that even during prohibition that a man who was already a millionaire and harvard grad with political asperations and apirations of "respectability" would risk it all to do some bootlegging and being associated with some super-violent mob people. Stranger things have happened but it doesn't make much sense.

Though I do concede that his winning an exclusive contract Dewars and the whisky importing right after prohibition is suspicious, suspician isn't direct evidence of fact.

Last edited by Tony_Pro; 11/11/14 05:07 PM.

This life of ours, this is a wonderful life. If you can get through life like this, hey, thats great. But it's very, very unpredictable. There are so many ways you can screw it up.-Paul Castellano (he would know)

"I'm not talking about Italians, I'm talking about criminals."-Joe Valachi
Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #813095
11/12/14 08:55 AM
11/12/14 08:55 AM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
There's no debate, he WAS a bootlegger.

Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #813105
11/12/14 10:24 AM
11/12/14 10:24 AM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Well, when you try to look into Joe Kennedy's past, you get the distinct impression that he used his political influence to whitewash his history.

There really isn't that much you can find on the man.

After reading over this thread, I went and dug up my old dusty copy of Five Families. Joe Kennedy is implicated as a mob associate or mob connected individual on page 126.

Does being mob connected make him a bootlegger from the old days? Not necessarily.

Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Alfa Romeo] #813115
11/12/14 11:29 AM
11/12/14 11:29 AM
M
mickey2 Offline
Capo
mickey2  Offline
M
Capo

After reading over this thread, I went and dug up my old dusty copy of Five Families. Joe Kennedy is implicated as a mob associate or mob connected individual on page 126.

Are you serious? telling that you use FIVE FAMILIES as your research source?? And then wonder why there isn't much in it?

I do not wanna live on this planet anymore.

Last edited by mickey2; 11/12/14 11:29 AM.
Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: mickey2] #813116
11/12/14 11:34 AM
11/12/14 11:34 AM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Are you serious? telling that you use FIVE FAMILIES as your research source?? And then wonder why there isn't much in it?

I do not wanna live on this planet anymore.

Haha. I think what a lot of people, esp on this thread, would like, is definitive final proof that Joe Kennedy the patriarch of the Kennedy dynasties, was an old time bootlegger.

The standard of proof might be much lower here too. Even a quote from a gangster might suffice for some.

I think he was a bootlegger. I said so earlier on. But the key word is think, not know.

Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #813118
11/12/14 11:54 AM
11/12/14 11:54 AM
M
mickey2 Offline
Capo
mickey2  Offline
M
Capo

Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: mickey2] #813125
11/12/14 12:12 PM
11/12/14 12:12 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Well, either way, Joe Kennedy was a scumbag. When you give your daughter a lobotomy just because you're afraid that she'll embarrass you, you forfeit your right to call yourself a member of the human race. No matter how many of your scumbag descendants con their way into government office. It's a shame, though. If there was any justice in this world, Old Joe would have caught a bullet in the head back in the '40s. Then maybe the so-called "Kennedy Curse" would have ended with him.

Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #813128
11/12/14 12:17 PM
11/12/14 12:17 PM
S
slumpy Offline
Capo
slumpy  Offline
S
Capo
Were Robert and John really that bad? I mean, were they scumbags? I admittedly know very little about 'em.

Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: pizzaboy] #813129
11/12/14 12:18 PM
11/12/14 12:18 PM
M
mickey2 Offline
Capo
mickey2  Offline
M
Capo
different times then. iam quite sure that joe kennedy wasn't 100% playing to the laws. But nearly nobody was back then, right? It was all about making money

Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: mickey2] #813130
11/12/14 12:21 PM
11/12/14 12:21 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: mickey2
different times then. iam quite sure that joe kennedy wasn't 100% playing to the laws. But nearly nobody was back then, right? It was all about making money

Of course. I don't care if he ran booze or not. I just don't like the Kennedy-Camelot myth, and I don't like what Joe Kennedy did to his daughter. It was inhuman.

Re: joesph p. kennedy. was he a bootlegger? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #813131
11/12/14 12:24 PM
11/12/14 12:24 PM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss
they dont ask where it came from. they ask do you have it.

When Interpol?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull