GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Jimmy_Two_Times, RushStreet, joepuzzles234, 1 invisible), 209 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,339
Posts1,058,903
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Made in the USA #811527
11/03/14 05:13 PM
11/03/14 05:13 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline OP
MaryCas  Offline OP

South of the Pinelands
Occasionally there is an advertisement or a rally-cry to buy products that are "Made in the USA". In this global economy, I can't discern whether made in the USA is a good thing or just a sign of the times. I think global economics are too complicated for the average person to analyze or understand. I think the US import/export structures allows for companies to manufacture overseas and they do so without penalties. The cheap labor markets around the world make it more lucrative to manufacture overseas and then jobs in America are lost.

To all my fellow Americans, look at the labels in you clothing and you will likely not find a Made in America label.....in clothes that have an American company name. The other day I was at Sam's Club and I saw a sign for Eddie Bauer flannel shirts. When I looked at the label...made in Vietnam. I told my wife, so for my birthday she looked for made in America clothes and found a flannel shirt and fleece pullover made by Arrow and the label said "America". She didn't look far enough. The flannel was made in Egypt and the fleece in Kenya.

Right now I'm wearing.
1. Martin Guitar (Americas Guitar) hoodie - Label: Campus Heritage Collection...made in China.
2. True Value Hardware T-shirt - Label: Gilban...made in Nicaragua.
3. Gym pants, full length - Label: Champion...made in Jordan.
4. Boxer shorts - Label: IZOD...made in Sri Lanka.
5. White Socks - Label: Nike ... no label, only the swoooosh, don't know where they are made.
6. Boat shoes - Label: Rockport...made in China

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Made in the USA [Re: MaryCas] #811530
11/03/14 05:26 PM
11/03/14 05:26 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Oh yea, so many things are NOT made in America which is partly why I've purchased American made cars (Chevy, Ford)the last 10/15 years.

Look at it this way MC, you're sort of the "League of Nations" when it comes to attire. lol

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Made in the USA [Re: MaryCas] #811532
11/03/14 05:30 PM
11/03/14 05:30 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Exactly MC. In my classes we cover Globalization because it is one of the unavoidable realities of today's economy. Are you old enough to remember the transistor radios (among other goods) that were made in Japan and that just about everyone had? Remember when Made in Japan was a pejorative term that you would yell at the other guys in the neighborhood?

Last edited by olivant; 11/03/14 05:30 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Made in the USA [Re: olivant] #811537
11/03/14 05:53 PM
11/03/14 05:53 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The Big Physics is that labor is a lot cheaper in Asia (particularly China, Vietnam, Bangladesh, Indonesia, etc.) than it is here. Americans don't want to pay a lot for everyday items like casual clothing, small electronics, compact cars. etc., so we buy them from overseas, or from US companies that outsource to overseas producers. I will bet that a significant proportion of what goes into our military aircraft, fighting vehicles and other armaments is produced overseas.

This is a natural evolution. Americans--including you and I--don't want to work cheap anymore, nor should we. As a people, we spent decades building a better way of life and we're not going to turn back. Every time management asks employees for givebacks so "we can compete with Asia," I want to ask the bosses if they'd be willing to accept cutbacks in their salaries, bonuses and stock options so they can be paid like their management counterparts overseas. And we don't want to pay more to have stuff made in America that can be made cheaper (and sometimes better) overseas. We do best what we do best here, especially high-tech stuff.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Made in the USA [Re: MaryCas] #811585
11/03/14 10:27 PM
11/03/14 10:27 PM
Good ole USA
R
rockstar_man45 Offline
Capo
rockstar_man45  Offline
R
Capo
Good ole USA
One of the more unfortunate consequences of these jobs going overseas is that the bulk of what kept the middle class strong all these years. When those jobs were either lost or outsourced so did an easy and simple means of a decent income that did not require much education or skill.

What's replaced them is an unequal structure of low paying minimum wage service jobs, and high paying professional or skill jobs. For the latter you need at the very least a college bachelor's degree. For the former, people who work those services can barely live off of the salary. No one even working full time at a fast food joint is going to be living relatively well on that kind of money.

There have been calls to raise the minimum wage and overall salary. The problem is most states, can't damn well pay a higher wage or salary. Most businesses would just cut hours anyway. And Unions can still be greedy. Bad leadership and unsustainable pension funds bankrupted Detroit.

My basic point is that I recognize an income inequality gap in this country and it's due to what Marycas mentioned above. These jobs once held by Americans are now held by Asians so we can buy them at a lower price. We've evolved a higher standard of living but it's only attained by a small number.

Me being a fiscal conservative, I have my own ideas on how to solve it. But that's another story. Sorry if I hijacked this thread

Re: Made in the USA [Re: MaryCas] #811593
11/03/14 11:44 PM
11/03/14 11:44 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
I wish one of our great politicians would pass a law saying that right under the product it must state where it was made in big letters.

Also buying on line it must say the same thing in big letters.

You think I want to buy stuff made outside the US?

Make where it is made easy to notice. I would always buy made in USA.

only the unloved hate
Re: Made in the USA [Re: MaryCas] #811594
11/03/14 11:50 PM
11/03/14 11:50 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
The problem with the middle class is politicians like to say want people to get to middle class and keep the middle class strong.

I would rather hear lets try to get people already in middle class to move higher then that. I have not heard any of these lying bastard politicians said that.

None of these pricks are content with middle class so why should the voters be content with middle class?

only the unloved hate
Re: Made in the USA [Re: MaryCas] #811595
11/04/14 12:00 AM
11/04/14 12:00 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
What is wrong with trade school instead of college.

Go to trade skill for example carpentry you can maKe really good money and you can make it any where. Your not tied down to an area.

Plumbing school is another good trade.

When my daughter the communist decided to move to Germany. Here graduating Columbia University with honor meant shit to them.

They wanted to know what trade do you have.

On minimum wage that a bullshit issue. Minimum wage is for teens who want to work during the summer.

You can not support anyone making minimum wage. It's for kids to get use to working not for people with families.

only the unloved hate
Re: Made in the USA [Re: Footreads] #811627
11/04/14 08:14 AM
11/04/14 08:14 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Same applies to the UK. We manufacture nothing here any more. Everything comes from China, Taiwan,Vietnam, Bangladesh etc. etc.

Sign of modern times i suppose....

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Made in the USA [Re: MaryCas] #811650
11/04/14 10:43 AM
11/04/14 10:43 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: MaryCas

Right now I'm wearing.
1. Martin Guitar (Americas Guitar) hoodie - Label: Campus Heritage Collection...made in China.
2. True Value Hardware T-shirt - Label: Gilban...made in Nicaragua.
3. Gym pants, full length - Label: Champion...made in Jordan.
4. Boxer shorts - Label: IZOD...made in Sri Lanka.
5. White Socks - Label: Nike ... no label, only the swoooosh, don't know where they are made.
6. Boat shoes - Label: Rockport...made in China

In 1985, President Reagan visited one of my employer's top-producing factories. We turned out all the employees to greet him, wearing ball caps with the flag on them and the motto: "USA #1."
The label inside the caps said, "Made in China."

Re: Made in the USA [Re: Turnbull] #811651
11/04/14 10:47 AM
11/04/14 10:47 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
In 1985, President Reagan visited one of my employer's top-producing factories. We turned out all the employees to greet him, wearing ball caps with the flag on them and the motto: "USA #1."
The label inside the caps said, "Made in China."

lol lol lol lol

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Made in the USA [Re: MaryCas] #811652
11/04/14 10:50 AM
11/04/14 10:50 AM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
Thats funny Turnbull!
I am not so concerned about my clothing or products being made in other countries but I did check a couple meds. I found out that Zyrtec's active ingredient is made in Belgium and my inhaler is manufactured in Ireland...I never would have thought about checkling where this stuff comes from before.

Re: Made in the USA [Re: MaryCas] #811656
11/04/14 11:07 AM
11/04/14 11:07 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline OP
MaryCas  Offline OP

South of the Pinelands
I know one thing for sure. I won't buy or order Tilapia. If it comes from China chances are its raised in pens that are submerged in polluted rivers. ... but I slightly digress. Here's a true story similar to Turnbull's hat story.

At Ma Bell, I was an Engineering/Construction Manager. The AT&T equipment rep asked to come to our construction garage to demonstrate new equipment that we would be using. This was a common practice. The fellow did his demo for a group of 30 cable splicers. As is customary, he brought hats with the AT&T logo. After the demo he handed out the hats. One of the union guys yells out, "These f****n hats are made in China." Everyone threw them on the table and walked out of the room. I had to laugh because many of them drove home that day in their foreign cars.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Made in the USA [Re: MaryCas] #811665
11/04/14 11:53 AM
11/04/14 11:53 AM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
My husband and I wear a lot of True Religion jeans/clothing, all made in USA. If they say on the inside tag that they're made anywhere else, they're fake.
That brand is the only one I can think of that's made in USA, that I own.

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: Made in the USA [Re: carmela] #811681
11/04/14 12:48 PM
11/04/14 12:48 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
I recently went out and traded my gas guzzling Mercedes for a thrifty Ford. I thought I was buying a USA product, but it turns out it was made in Mexico.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Made in the USA [Re: dontomasso] #811688
11/04/14 12:58 PM
11/04/14 12:58 PM
Good ole USA
R
rockstar_man45 Offline
Capo
rockstar_man45  Offline
R
Capo
Good ole USA
You're kidding? Were the parts made in Mexico and then assembled in Detroit?

Re: Made in the USA [Re: dontomasso] #811689
11/04/14 01:01 PM
11/04/14 01:01 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
I recently went out and traded my gas guzzling Mercedes for a thrifty Ford. I thought I was buying a USA product, but it turns out it was made in Mexico.

Whether you intended to or not, you make a great point DT: buy American. You have the choice to do so or not.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Made in the USA [Re: carmela] #811723
11/04/14 04:45 PM
11/04/14 04:45 PM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: carmela
My husband and I wear a lot of True Religion jeans/clothing, all made in USA. If they say on the inside tag that they're made anywhere else, they're fake.

The ones I bought from Canal say Taiwan. What are you trying to say?

When Interpol?
Re: Made in the USA [Re: cheech] #811749
11/04/14 05:27 PM
11/04/14 05:27 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
MC: Reagan began his speech at our factory this way: "Now I know that the good people of Oklahoma are just as sore as I am about those big companies that have tax loopholes so big you can fly a 747 through their plant." And there we were, in AT&T's Oklahoma City Works--32 acres under one roof--and AT&T had paid no Federal taxes the year before because of the breakup of the Bell System. With friends like him... panic

dt: I needed a new car in 1983. I was thinking of buying a Honda Accord, which at that time was called "the class act of compact cars." But I was working in a manufacturing unit of AT&T at the time, and I felt patriotic. So I bought a Dodge Aries. Worst new car I ever owned. What a piece of sh*t. mad

In 1775, Boswell said: "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." I might have added: "Patriotism in car buying is the mark of a sap."

Re: Made in the USA [Re: cheech] #811757
11/04/14 05:49 PM
11/04/14 05:49 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: cheech

Wellll, like I said in my original post; they're fake. And not for nothing, but they're extremely well made, not worth the money but what is.

Re: Made in the USA [Re: Turnbull] #811768
11/04/14 07:49 PM
11/04/14 07:49 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
MC: Reagan began his speech at our factory this way: "Now I know that the good people of Oklahoma are just as sore as I am about those big companies that have tax loopholes so big you can fly a 747 through their plant." And there we were, in AT&T's Oklahoma City Works--32 acres under one roof--and AT&T had paid no Federal taxes the year before because of the breakup of the Bell System. With friends like him... panic

dt: I needed a new car in 1983. I was thinking of buying a Honda Accord, which at that time was called "the class act of compact cars." But I was working in a manufacturing unit of AT&T at the time, and I felt patriotic. So I bought a Dodge Aries. Worst new car I ever owned. What a piece of sh*t. mad

In 1775, Boswell said: "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." I might have added: "Patriotism in car buying is the mark of a sap."

I think pretty much all American cars in the 80's were total pieces of junk. Many of us who bought American cars to be patriotic were suckers. We all learned our lesson and from then bought Japanese or German vehicles. At least that's what ppl in CA did.

Re: Made in the USA [Re: carmela] #811821
11/05/14 07:56 AM
11/05/14 07:56 AM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss

Wellll, like I said in my original post; they're fake. And not for nothing, but they're extremely well made, not worth the money but what is.

I got taken for a ride huh? the african guy said they were real. oh well, live and learn.

i liked The Joeys, they fit well.

When Interpol?
Re: Made in the USA [Re: cheech] #811850
11/05/14 10:06 AM
11/05/14 10:06 AM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ

I got taken for a ride huh? the african guy said they were real. oh well, live and learn.

i liked The Joeys, they fit well.

My only gripe with TR's is they make the inseams so long and I have to wear 4 inch heels to get them to not drag on the floor, but they make my bum look bangin so it's worth it.

Re: Made in the USA [Re: MaryCas] #811861
11/05/14 10:53 AM
11/05/14 10:53 AM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
My Carhartt FR gear is made in America. That's about it.. Even that is being sourced out to Mexico I think now.

Re: Made in the USA [Re: dixiemafia] #811880
11/05/14 11:54 AM
11/05/14 11:54 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: dixiemafia
My Carhartt FR gear is made in America. That's about it.. Even that is being sourced out to Mexico I think now.

Carhartt's a pretty rugged brand. Their jeans fit me perfectly. 34 waist, 32 length. 55 years old. Take that, young'uns tongue grin.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Made in the USA [Re: carmela] #811881
11/05/14 11:56 AM
11/05/14 11:56 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
My only gripe with TR's is they make the inseams so long and I have to wear 4 inch heels to get them to not drag on the floor, but they make my bum look bangin so it's worth it.

Your bum? Can't you just say ass like a good American? tongue lol

Re: Made in the USA [Re: pizzaboy] #811884
11/05/14 12:11 PM
11/05/14 12:11 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

That's funny because originally, I had typed the word "ass" but then remembering I'm down here in General Discussion, I thought I should tone it down a bit. Believe me it was hard (shutup, get your mind out of the gutter).

Re: Made in the USA [Re: carmela] #811887
11/05/14 12:15 PM
11/05/14 12:15 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

That's funny because originally, I had typed the word "ass" but then remembering I'm down here in General Discussion, I thought I should tone it down a bit. Believe me it was hard (shutup, get your mind out of the gutter).

Eh, that was really in response to our pm about patriotism earlier. That's why I used the phrase "good American" wink.

Re: Made in the USA [Re: pizzaboy] #811888
11/05/14 12:18 PM
11/05/14 12:18 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ

Eh, that was really in response to our pm about patriotism earlier. That's why I used the phrase "good American" wink.

Ohhh I get it. That was really very clever then, PB!

Re: Made in the USA [Re: carmela] #811890
11/05/14 12:25 PM
11/05/14 12:25 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
That was really very clever then, PB!

Well, I haven't started drinking yet. And that's also in response to our earlier pm lol.

I'm Pizzaboy, and I approve of this message (but thank God those political commercials are over for the next nine months or so).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull