GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 272 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,337
Posts1,058,852
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
vito genovese #810552
10/28/14 11:25 AM
10/28/14 11:25 AM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
did vito Genovese know that lansky and Costello conspired to send him to prison? the man who testified against Genovese was a puerto rican named nelson cantellops. he was later stabbed to death in a bar. if Genovese did know why didn't he go after them?

was he powerless in Atlanta, or was it that he didn't know.
he clipped tony bender, maybe because he thought bender set him up. and why did Costello and lansky want him in prison?

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #810565
10/28/14 01:45 PM
10/28/14 01:45 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Where do you get that Costello and Lansky conspired to send Vito to prison? One of the Bureau of Narcotics agents connected to the case later wrote a book telling what they did to send him to prison. An agent was with a drug dealer and they walked by Vito. The dealer said, "Hi" to him and Vito said, "Hi" back. That was twisted into implicating Vito into a narcotics conspiracy even though they had no evidence of his personal involvement. The agent justified it as the only way they could get him, sort of like how they got Capone on failure to pay income taxes.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Faithful1] #810579
10/28/14 03:33 PM
10/28/14 03:33 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
Originally Posted By: Faithful1
Where do you get that Costello and Lansky conspired to send Vito to prison? One of the Bureau of Narcotics agents connected to the case later wrote a book telling what they did to send him to prison. An agent was with a drug dealer and they walked by Vito. The dealer said, "Hi" to him and Vito said, "Hi" back. That was twisted into implicating Vito into a narcotics conspiracy even though they had no evidence of his personal involvement. The agent justified it as the only way they could get him, sort of like how they got Capone on failure to pay income taxes.

It's in Boiardo's book; says that Luciano, Lansky, Gambino, and Costello framed Genovese on a petty drug charge that put him in prison.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #810580
10/28/14 03:35 PM
10/28/14 03:35 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
did vito Genovese know that lansky and Costello conspired to send him to prison? the man who testified against Genovese was a puerto rican named nelson cantellops. he was later stabbed to death in a bar. if Genovese did know why didn't he go after them?

was he powerless in Atlanta, or was it that he didn't know.
he clipped tony bender, maybe because he thought bender set him up. and why did Costello and lansky want him in prison?

I always thought Bender turned snitch and ended up on the back lot at Richie's farm.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #810583
10/28/14 03:47 PM
10/28/14 03:47 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
alfansosgirl, like you ive read where Genovese was set up by Costello, and lansky, I think its entirely plausible and credible. you have heard of richies farm? ive read where he had

a creamotorium in his barn, no wonder he was widely feared,

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: vito genovese [Re: Faithful1] #810585
10/28/14 03:48 PM
10/28/14 03:48 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Quote:

But the agent is confirming half of the tale told, that it was a frame up.

Frank Costello was the "Prime Minister". He was the connection the mafia and syndicate had to the legitimate world of influence, him and Tommy Lucchese.

Here is the million dollar question:

If Frank Costello was presiding over the same rackets as Vito Genovese, why didn't he get taken down [indicted] when he was Boss the way Vito did?

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #810586
10/28/14 03:50 PM
10/28/14 03:50 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
faithful1 1 I think you have Genovese mixed up with carmine tramunti. [ mr. gribbs. ] his arrest happened as you described genoveses. Genovese was convicted after the jury heard testimony from nelson cantellops.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #810587
10/28/14 03:59 PM
10/28/14 03:59 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
alfa, evidently Costello. and lansky, were bothered a great deal by vitos heroin dealings, and they didn't trust him after

the murder of anastaaia. there may have been more reasons, that we don't know of. but they feared him greatly. he would kill in a heartbeat. if he was allowed to lead his family he

could have been another scarpo, or casso, he was that murderous.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #810614
10/28/14 06:49 PM
10/28/14 06:49 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Good Evening Binnie,

I think Luciano, Costello, and Lansky were probably more against Vito controlling the Genovese family's heroin/narcotics trade, not against dealing drugs.

The biggest cash crop of the two biggest families (Genovese and Gambino) I believe was narcotics.

When Vito forced his way into becoming Boss, he was taking over the top income sources of the family and diverting the funds towards himself...as Boss.

Galante did that and didn't share the money with other Bosses on the Commission.

What Vito and Carmine Galante had in common was their desire to control drug trafficking that was not seen by others as rightfully theirs.

Vito felt he was the rightful heir to becoming Boss, and Carmine thought the drug pipeline belonged to him...cause he was the one who set it up.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #810620
10/28/14 07:20 PM
10/28/14 07:20 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
faithful1 1 I think you have Genovese mixed up with carmine tramunti. [ mr. gribbs. ] his arrest happened as you described genoveses. Genovese was convicted after the jury heard testimony from nelson cantellops.

No, I didn't mix up anything. This is from "Crusade" by Tom Tripodi, a former CIA, FBN and DEA agent:

"The continuing conspiracy against Genovese largely rested on the testimony of Nelson Cantellops... Cantellops, 'working off his case ' by going undercover for the FBN, attempted to cut a dope deal with Joseph DiPalermo (aka Joe Beck), a Genovese lieutenant. Beck insisted on checking Cantellop's bona fides, and the two men engaged in a cat-and-mouse game of "whom do you know?" -- all under FBN surveillance. Finally, Beck asked Cantellops if he knew "Don Vitone." Cantellops assented, only to have Beck further insist that the relationship be corroborated by Don Vito Genovese himself."

[At a restaurant] as "Genovese was preoccupied with his meal, Beck tapped him on the shoulder and said, 'Do you know this guy?' As much to dismiss the intrusion as anything else, Genovese waved and replied, 'Yeah, he's all right.'"

"And with those few words Don Vito Genovese earned his death sentence, for seated at the bar were FBN agents Jim Hunt and Frankie Waters. Both would later testify that they had witnessed and overheard the conversation. By vouching for Cantellops, an admitted dope peddler, Genovese sealed his fate. It made him guilty of a continuing conspiracy."

"So thin was the evidence against Genovese that even J. Edgar Hoover" wrote a letter to the head of the Bureau of Narcotics and asserted that it was a frame-up and a travesty of justice.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Faithful1] #810625
10/28/14 07:49 PM
10/28/14 07:49 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss

No, I didn't mix up anything. This is from "Crusade" by Tom Tripodi, a former CIA, FBN and DEA agent:

"The continuing conspiracy against Genovese largely rested on the testimony of Nelson Cantellops... Cantellops, 'working off his case ' by going undercover for the FBN, attempted to cut a dope deal with Joseph DiPalermo (aka Joe Beck), a Genovese lieutenant. Beck insisted on checking Cantellop's bona fides, and the two men engaged in a cat-and-mouse game of "whom do you know?" -- all under FBN surveillance. Finally, Beck asked Cantellops if he knew "Don Vitone." Cantellops assented, only to have Beck further insist that the relationship be corroborated by Don Vito Genovese himself."

[At a restaurant] as "Genovese was preoccupied with his meal, Beck tapped him on the shoulder and said, 'Do you know this guy?' As much to dismiss the intrusion as anything else, Genovese waved and replied, 'Yeah, he's all right.'"

"And with those few words Don Vito Genovese earned his death sentence, for seated at the bar were FBN agents Jim Hunt and Frankie Waters. Both would later testify that they had witnessed and overheard the conversation. By vouching for Cantellops, an admitted dope peddler, Genovese sealed his fate. It made him guilty of a continuing conspiracy."

"So thin was the evidence against Genovese that even J. Edgar Hoover" wrote a letter to the head of the Bureau of Narcotics and asserted that it was a frame-up and a travesty of justice.

This author talks like he is sorry for Genovese as if he was an example of an innocent framed for nothing. In my opinion, the scumbag deserved it, he didn't stop killing people even from jail, he was so sadistic he left the witness for the Boccia murder live for decades in fear before killing him. In there ever was a "travesty of justice", it was when Genovese was acquitted the first time for the Boccia murder when another witness was poisoned in custody.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: vito genovese [Re: Dwalin2011] #810632
10/28/14 09:12 PM
10/28/14 09:12 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011

This author talks like he is sorry for Genovese as if he was an example of an innocent framed for nothing. In my opinion, the scumbag deserved it, he didn't stop killing people even from jail, he was so sadistic he left the witness for the Boccia murder live for decades in fear before killing him. In there ever was a "travesty of justice", it was when Genovese was acquitted the first time for the Boccia murder when another witness was poisoned in custody.

Genovese was a bad guy, but we have to remember that a lot of older writers exaggerated and passed along stories without investigating them. Read Alex Hortis's book on pages 226-27. Peter La Tempa's death was ruled a suicide for a good reason. He previously tried to hang himself and stockpiled his prescription barbituates (which were used as sleeping pills back then) to kill himself.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #810659
10/29/14 05:45 AM
10/29/14 05:45 AM
Belfast
O
OC Offline
Wiseguy
OC  Offline
O
Wiseguy
Belfast
So he'd never actually met him before ? Vito must have bein takeing some of the drugs he was selling that day lol, okaying a guy he'd never met...

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #810674
10/29/14 08:19 AM
10/29/14 08:19 AM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
The rest of the story is that while Vito was in Europe in the 1930s and 40s he developed a love for German food and was in a German restaurant and didn't want to be bothered while eating pig knuckles and red cabbage!

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #810679
10/29/14 08:39 AM
10/29/14 08:39 AM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

his wife snitched on him and he let her live, theres some cool article on it somewhere on the site. I don't believe they set him up, I mean other mobsters it would have been a war. think he was just to powerfull like lucky luc. and the gov had to put him away. surprised they didn't shot him.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #810769
10/30/14 06:20 AM
10/30/14 06:20 AM
Belfast
O
OC Offline
Wiseguy
OC  Offline
O
Wiseguy
Belfast
@Faithful1 ,Scheisse! Lol I'd say Vito was a strictly Italian cusine man!

Re: vito genovese [Re: Alfa Romeo] #810782
10/30/14 08:49 AM
10/30/14 08:49 AM
S
slumpy Offline
Capo
slumpy  Offline
S
Capo
Originally Posted By: Alfa_Romeo
Good Evening Binnie,

I think Luciano, Costello, and Lansky were probably more against Vito controlling the Genovese family's heroin/narcotics trade, not against dealing drugs.

The biggest cash crop of the two biggest families (Genovese and Gambino) I believe was narcotics.

When Vito forced his way into becoming Boss, he was taking over the top income sources of the family and diverting the funds towards himself...as Boss.

Galante did that and didn't share the money with other Bosses on the Commission.

What Vito and Carmine Galante had in common was their desire to control drug trafficking that was not seen by others as rightfully theirs.

Vito felt he was the rightful heir to becoming Boss, and Carmine thought the drug pipeline belonged to him...cause he was the one who set it up.

yeah it doesn't really make sense for Luciano to be against the drug trade, considering he himself was implicit in the importation and sale of heroin. I also read in A.G.D Maran's book that Luciano was probably a heroin addict himself.

Re: vito genovese [Re: slumpy] #810922
10/31/14 01:13 AM
10/31/14 01:13 AM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
I have been reviewing a book I read, by Salvadore Vizzini.

The name of it is "Vizzini, The Story of America's No. 1 Undercover Narcotics Agent".

This identical book is published under a different name, "Vizzini: The Secret Lives of America's Most Successful Undercover Agent".

This man got right up on Charley Luciano and befriended him. He got a hold of a couple of the hundred dollar bills Charley carried in his pocket by asking Luciano if he could have larger bills for his small ones. Luciano obliged. Agent Vizzini had the bills traced for their serial numbers and said that the serial numbers matched up with bills used in Heroin deals under the Federal Bureau of Narcotics.

He lists the serial number of one of the bills in his book.

So Charley was in on it, and as the Boss of the Luciano Family, he was probably making more money that Vitone Genovese. Now if Vito forces Costello and Luciano out, he sits on top of the Luciano Family's heroin empire. So that's who set Vito up and why. Qui Bono? Lucky Luciano and Frank Costello. If Lansky was in on it, that's because he and Lucky and Frank went way back together.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #810958
10/31/14 10:17 AM
10/31/14 10:17 AM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
alfa------ great information. Luciano was the biggest heroin dealer in the world. no doubt that's why they all met in cuba in 1947. Luciano always hated harry anslinger the head of the

narcotics bureau. anslinger was on to him. vito Genovese thought he would be the king of the hill, and if they didn't

set him up he would of been. thanks alfa.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #810978
10/31/14 01:53 PM
10/31/14 01:53 PM
DiLorenzo Offline
Underboss
DiLorenzo  Offline
Underboss
Genovese seemed to be as bad they come, but the feds are supposed to be above this stuff..They know and the judge knew there was no way this cantelops guy would ever be dealing with genovese yet they allowed it to happen anyway...So much for the oaths they take as well !!!

Re: vito genovese [Re: DiLorenzo] #810982
10/31/14 02:22 PM
10/31/14 02:22 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: DiLorenzo
Genovese seemed to be as bad they come, but the feds are supposed to be above this stuff..They know and the judge knew there was no way this cantelops guy would ever be dealing with genovese yet they allowed it to happen anyway...So much for the oaths they take as well !!!

good point. and I also wondered who would be crazy enough to testify against vito Genovese! you would sign your death warrant. I think there is more to this thing. but, it seems like all parties wanted him off the streets.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #811206
11/01/14 11:19 PM
11/01/14 11:19 PM
S
sbhc Offline
Made Member
sbhc  Offline
S
Made Member
Vito I always heard was street thug gangster bordering on a psychopath, he lacked the panache and sophistication of Frank and Lucky.

Lucky hated the fucker.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #811225
11/02/14 05:43 AM
11/02/14 05:43 AM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
vito Genovese thought he would be the king of the hill, and if they didn't

set him up he would of been. thanks alfa.

This might sound strange, but I think had Vito not been set up, he might have gone to jail anyhow. Why? Because he didn't have the political connections of the Boss he supplanted (Costello). Vito's concept of political protection was simply to kill off all the witnesses to his crimes. That won't help you much if you are a drug kingpin.

Re: vito genovese [Re: sbhc] #811242
11/02/14 09:32 AM
11/02/14 09:32 AM
dominic_calabrese Offline
Made Member
dominic_calabrese  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: sbhc
Vito I always heard was street thug gangster bordering on a psychopath, he lacked the panache and sophistication of Frank and Lucky.

In terms of his personal appearance, he certainly looked like a thug and did not have any of the style of Frank or Lucky

However, I suspect he was much more sophisticated than you are giving him credit for, especially if you consider his dealings with both the Fascists and the Allied Forces in Italy during WWII. That was ultra-sophisticated double-dealing with high-ranking government officials, a long way from mere street thuggery

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #811304
11/02/14 02:34 PM
11/02/14 02:34 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
most of what I have read, and joe valachi goes into it, Genovese was instrumental in killing Anastasia, valachi said " vito would never have done it without carlo Gambinos participation.

Genovese took a big chamce, in hitting albert Anastasia, if something would have went wrong, it would have been vito's neck.

Re: vito genovese [Re: sbhc] #811321
11/02/14 03:11 PM
11/02/14 03:11 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Originally Posted By: sbhc

Lucky hated the fucker.

If Lucky hated him he wouldn't have picked him to be his underboss.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #811324
11/02/14 03:17 PM
11/02/14 03:17 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
faithful 1 in the book " the last testament of lucky Luciano"
Luciano mentions he and vito had a fight in a hotel in cuba and lucky beat him up, and in addition the book " Cuban nocturne"
it also mentions the same thing.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Faithful1] #811325
11/02/14 03:41 PM
11/02/14 03:41 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Quote:

If Vito loved Charlie, he wouldn't have forced out Frank Costello and grabbed the Boss' chair.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Alfa Romeo] #811332
11/02/14 03:59 PM
11/02/14 03:59 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Originally Posted By: Alfa_Romeo
Quote:

If Vito loved Charlie, he wouldn't have forced out Frank Costello and grabbed the Boss' chair.

One event has nothing to do with the other. Charlie had not been boss for years at that point.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #811335
11/02/14 04:00 PM
11/02/14 04:00 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
The Genovese and Luciano fued did not start till Vito returned to the United States, and Luciano was deported. When Vito returned, he no longer had the position of underboss, but was only a powerful capo in the family. The rumor is that when Genovese went to visit Lucky in Cuba, he went to ask Luciano to tell Costello to give him back the underboss position, where Charlie told Vito that Frank was the boss and that was that. Vito did not like that too much and put his hands on Lucky, who in turn slapped Genovese in front of a few witness who were in the family and other families. That was an insult to Vito who waited his time for the moment he would become boss of the family. He is also most likely the one that informed the U.S. about Luciano being in Cuba.

Vito suspected Lucky was the one that set him up and rumor is he sent a couple of people over to Italy to find out, but thought both Costello and Lansky were too weak at the time to arrange such a thing. A rumor is that Genovese wanted to set Luciano up, and reached out to some members of the Lucchese crime family to do this. Tommy Lucchese is in the center of most of these rumors as he had known both Genovese and Luciano way back, not Carlo Gambino as many believe, but Gambino might have been involved as a puppet to these setups. Keep in mind Vito and Lucky were too cautions to be setup like how they both were, and only trusted solid and proven members in their ranks. Side note, both Costello and Lucchese are rumored to have had a capo in each of their families that had FBN agents on their payroll. That too is something to think about.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull