GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 292 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,917
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,330
Posts1,058,780
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"You're a wise and considerate young man." #809727
10/23/14 11:39 AM
10/23/14 11:39 AM
New York, NY
Questadt Offline OP
Button
Questadt  Offline OP
Button
New York, NY
This following bit of dialogue...

Quote:
Roth: You're a wise and considerate young man.
Michael: And you're a great man, Mr. Roth. There's much I can learn from you.

...is for me one of the more fascinating elements of Godfather II. Each man is putting on a superficial show of mutual respect, cooperation and trust - while just beneath the surface lies the dynamic of predator and prey, stealthily circling one another, each man subtly trying to discern the other's true intent, each man trying to position himself for some kind of strategic advantage.

Yet there are questions (at least for me): Is it possible that by the time of this meeting in Miami that Hyman Roth already knew Michael had caught onto his nefarious scheme, and was simply stringing Michael along until he got another chance to finish off Michael for good? Or did Roth only suspect that Michael had caught on to him, and had hoped for an opportunity to confirm his suspicions using clues from Michael's behavior/demeanor at the meeting?

Likewise, at what point was Michael convinced that Roth was behind the assassination attempt? Was it even before he left Lake Tahoe? Or was one of Michael's purposes for the Miami meeting to pick some sort of clues from Roth's demeanor/behavior?

Clearly by the time of the Havana scenes, the gloves were coming off rapidly. Note the tense, hard faces during the meeting with Batista and the corporate big shots. And of course, the barely-disguised confrontation between Roth and Michael that occurred in Roth's hotel suite.

~ Q

"A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns."
Re: "You're a wise and considerate young man." [Re: Questadt] #809743
10/23/14 01:32 PM
10/23/14 01:32 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
"We're bigger than US Steel". Was Roth being genuine or still stringing Michael along? More from that scene that can keep us guessing who was being honest and who playing the game.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: "You're a wise and considerate young man." [Re: Questadt] #809780
10/23/14 05:11 PM
10/23/14 05:11 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Roth wanted Michael's funding and the facade of a partnership with him. It was a utilitarian relationship. I don't think that Michael was ever fooled by Roth's apparent friendship. Michael wanted control of gambling; Roth had at least some of that control. Thus, to Michael, Roth was a natural enemy.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: "You're a wise and considerate young man." [Re: olivant] #811679
11/04/14 12:45 PM
11/04/14 12:45 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Michael said it best when he commented that Roth has been dying of the same heart attack for years, and that he pretends Michael is his successor, but in reality he thinks he will live forever.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: "You're a wise and considerate young man." [Re: Questadt] #811743
11/04/14 05:16 PM
11/04/14 05:16 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: Questadt
Is it possible that by the time of this meeting in Miami that Hyman Roth already knew Michael had caught onto his nefarious scheme, and was simply stringing Michael along until he got another chance to finish off Michael for good? Or did Roth only suspect that Michael had caught on to him, and had hoped for an opportunity to confirm his suspicions using clues from Michael's behavior/demeanor at the meeting?

Roth had to suspect that Michael had caught onto him, simply because Michael had survived the Tahoe shooting and there weren't many culprits for him to blame. Must have been a very tense meeting for Roth. Then again, he couldn't very well take flight when Michael said he wanted to meet with him. But: since Roth's Plan A was to have Pentangeli blamed for killing Michael, he had reason to believe, before the meeting, that Michael fell for it.

BTW: Just as Michael should have smelled a rat when Roth got interested in the Pentangeli/Rosatos quarrel, Roth should have smelled a rat when Michael said, "Frank Pentangeli is a dead man--you don't object?" Why would Michael need Roth's permission to whack his own subordinate?

Quote:
Likewise, at what point was Michael convinced that Roth was behind the assassination attempt? Was it even before he left Lake Tahoe? Or was one of Michael's purposes for the Miami meeting to pick some sort of clues from Roth's demeanor/behavior?

I'm guessing Michael was 95% convinced that Roth was the culprit before he left Tahoe. He might have been looking for clues from Roth. But I believe he was 100% convinced when he met with Pentangeli and got him to agree to meet with the Rosatos.

Quote:
And of course, the barely-disguised confrontation between Roth and Michael that occurred in Roth's hotel suite.

One of the greatest scenes in the Trilogy. Both knew the other knew. But they were still hanging tough--Roth holding out for the $2M, Michael holding out to find out who the traitor was his family. And: Michael first looking weak ("just wanna wait") then turning tough ("Who had Frank Pentangeli killed?"), and Roth brilliantly countering with that magnificent soliloquy. Bravo! clap

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull