GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (DanteMoltisanti), 285 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,923
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,333
Posts1,058,811
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Sonny's gaffe [Re: Louren_Lampone] #816953
12/03/14 09:29 PM
12/03/14 09:29 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
The whole scenario seems forced. Until Sonny spoke out, there was no need for Sollozzo to even consider eliminating Vito. The drug operation could certainly proceed without Vito's help.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Sonny's gaffe [Re: Louren_Lampone] #817113
12/04/14 06:13 PM
12/04/14 06:13 PM
J
jrp316 Offline
Wiseguy
jrp316  Offline
J
Wiseguy
I'm in with olivant; I see no reason that Sollozzo whacks Vito if he has nothing to gain from it. Barzini could certainly offer up the financing and help Sollozzo fly mostly under radar with the drug deals. Perhaps after they build up the wealth, they can buy their own political influences.

A big fulcrum in any potential plan to whack Vito is Luca Brasi, as we well know and which has been discussed at length. If Sonny doesn't speak out of turn, would Vito have sent Luca to try to dig for dirt on Sollozzo? I say no. Vito has no interest in the drugs trade, and without Sonny playing into it, that's the end of it for him.

In the original scenario, Sollozzo knew that he had to whack Luca before he could safely go after Vito. He's a new guy on the block, so it's likely that Barzini or Tattaglia advised him on that course of action. Neither Don would have cause to advise Sollozzo of that fact if they wouldn't sanction the hit though.

In the fait accompli scenario, Sollozzo would go 'lone wolf' and call the hit on Vito himself. If he succeeds, Tattaglia is definitely caught up in the whirlwind, Barzini too if the trail leads back to him. In addition to the potential for war between the three families, they've got Luca Brasi to deal with as well. If Vito's dead, "not even Sonny will be able to call off Luca Brasi." Offering Sollozzo up as a sacrifice at that point might be too little, too late.

Therefore, I'm of the mind that Barzini would have Sollozzo pre emptively whacked if he got wind of Sollozzo wanting to go lone wolf in the alternate scenario.

Re: Sonny's gaffe [Re: jrp316] #817125
12/04/14 07:26 PM
12/04/14 07:26 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Originally Posted By: jrp316
I'm in with olivant; I see no reason that Sollozzo whacks Vito if he has nothing to gain from it. Barzini could certainly offer up the financing and help Sollozzo fly mostly under radar with the drug deals. Perhaps after they build up the wealth, they can buy their own political influences.

It seems most likely to me that at the time Sollozzo meets with the Corleones, Barzini has already told Sollozzo, "I can't touch this unless the Corleones are involved." Under that scenario, Barzini's worst outcome is that Vito agrees and Barzini makes money. More likely, though, is that old-fashioned Vito says no, leaving the forceful Sollozzo a choice between going home and trying to eliminate Vito as an obstacle - and that's really no choice at all.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Sonny's gaffe [Re: mustachepete] #817132
12/04/14 07:40 PM
12/04/14 07:40 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: mustachepete

Under that scenario, Barzini's worst outcome is that Vito agrees and Barzini makes money. More likely, though, is that old-fashioned Vito says no, leaving the forceful Sollozzo a choice between going home and trying to eliminate Vito as an obstacle - and that's really no choice at all.

But Vito wasn't an obstacle. He was merely an asset for Sollozzo's use if Vito agreed to be such.

Re: Sonny's gaffe [Re: olivant] #817179
12/05/14 06:15 AM
12/05/14 06:15 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally Posted By: olivant
Originally Posted By: mustachepete

Under that scenario, Barzini's worst outcome is that Vito agrees and Barzini makes money. More likely, though, is that old-fashioned Vito says no, leaving the forceful Sollozzo a choice between going home and trying to eliminate Vito as an obstacle - and that's really no choice at all.

But Vito wasn't an obstacle. He was merely an asset for Sollozzo's use if Vito agreed to be such.

I don't know about that.

Saying Vito wasn't an obstacle presumes that Vito would have stood idly by while the drug trade proceeded without his involvement and his political influences would have as well.

Is it really likely that Vito would watched from the sideline as his rivals got rich from drugs? No.

Surely Vito would have used his political connections - immediately or later on - to attempt to stamp out the drug trade, get Sollozzo and his couriers deported, etc.

So Vito had to be brought on board or neutralized.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Sonny's gaffe [Re: The Last Woltz] #817186
12/05/14 07:32 AM
12/05/14 07:32 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz

Is it really likely that Vito would watched from the sideline as his rivals got rich from drugs? No.

Vito: "and good luck to you -- as best as your interests don't conflict with my interests. Thank you."

Last edited by olivant; 12/05/14 07:32 AM.

Re: Sonny's gaffe [Re: olivant] #817221
12/05/14 11:01 AM
12/05/14 11:01 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA

Vito: "and good luck to you -- as best as your interests don't conflict with my interests. Thank you."

Exactly. I read that as a warning. Sollozzo probably did, too.

I think anything that increases the power of another Family would conflict with the Corleones' interests.

At minimum, Sollozzo had to consider the possibility that Vito would use his political might against him. That's why I think the hit would likely have proceeded regardless of Sonny's outburst.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Sonny's gaffe [Re: The Last Woltz] #817235
12/05/14 01:43 PM
12/05/14 01:43 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
The real problem here is that Vito underestimated Solozzo's strength. He had the Tattaglias and Barzini, and probably the other families all ready to go into the drug trade. Sooner or later they would have begun to chisel into the Corleone terrritories all over New York...including Harlem, and Tessio and Clemenza's areas of interest. It would not be long until the lower ranking hoods under Corleone control would begin selling drugs themselves, and then Vito would really have had a mess on his hands..gaffe or no gaffe. The bottom line here is the Don was slippin'

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Sonny's gaffe [Re: The Last Woltz] #817247
12/05/14 03:28 PM
12/05/14 03:28 PM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline
Capo
waynethegame  Offline
Capo
Tampa, FL

Exactly. I read that as a warning. Sollozzo probably did, too.

I think anything that increases the power of another Family would conflict with the Corleones' interests.

At minimum, Sollozzo had to consider the possibility that Vito would use his political might against him. That's why I think the hit would likely have proceeded regardless of Sonny's outburst.

It *was* a warning. Sollozzo's interests (drugs) did conflict with Vito's interests (his political connections).

I think that Barzini knew Vito would refuse. After all, Barzini knew how Vito operated as they had begrudgingly worked together for years (with the rest of the Families) so he knew that Vito was an old "Mustache Pete" who didn't want drugs around. So I think he pushed for Sollozzo to talk to Vito, knowing that if refused Sollozzo would not take a "no" lightly (as he was also a man of respect and couldn't let another man dictate things to him), and then Sollozzo could easily be manipulated into making a move against Vito with Barzini and Tattaglia backing him up.

Either way, Barzini wins. If Vito by some miracle says yes, then Barzini profits, Vito loses some connections who would not want to be involved in drugs (and maybe Barzini, since he's doing things discretely, picks them up instead), and Sollozzo can be a scapegoat later if needed.

When Vito says no, Barzini can move against him. If Vito gets killed, he throws Sollozzo and Tattaglia to the wolves after a war and cleans up the pieces afterwards. If Vito lives, well nobody knew Barzini was involved at that point so he can still throw Tattaglia and Sollozzo to the wolves.

Thing is that Barzini (and Sollozzo and everyone else) underestimated Michael

Last edited by waynethegame; 12/05/14 03:33 PM.

Wayne

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Don Lucchesi
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull