GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 281 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,461
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,881
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,322
Posts1,058,580
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The first time I saw The Godfather... #7432
03/30/04 04:17 PM
03/30/04 04:17 PM
ACK_NO. 1 Offline OP
Button
ACK_NO. 1  Offline OP
Button
...was in November, 1980 on NBC. Of course, this was "The Godfather Saga," the chronological version of GF I & II.

It was pretty cool seeing the story unfold from the beginnings in Sicily, proceeding through the New York days and finally ending in Nevada. Getting to see the extra footage was cool, though I wouldn't realize how cool until I saw the originals.

Flash-forward to Summer 1981 when I finally got to see the original versions of GF I & II on HBO. By this time, we'd gotten cable and I got to see the films in their original state. Still very cool and of course, I got to see the stuff that was edited out of the TV broadcast (Apollonia undressing comes to mind here).

I guess because of this, I have a soft spot for "The Godfather Saga." I hope that if the Saga is ever released on DVD, that ALL of the extra footage included on the DVD is included in the edit - especially Sonny's scenes in which he deals with the shooting of Vito.

"Ahh, rock stars...is there anything they don't know?" - Homer J. Simpson
Re: The first time I saw The Godfather... #7433
03/31/04 04:21 PM
03/31/04 04:21 PM
ACK_NO. 1 Offline OP
Button
ACK_NO. 1  Offline OP
Button
How about everyone else sharing their first experiences watching The Godfather...? tongue

Re: The first time I saw The Godfather... #7434
03/31/04 11:07 PM
03/31/04 11:07 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Lets all gather 'round the campfire boys and girls..... tongue
The first time I saw The Godfather was Sept 19, 3 days before my 15th birthday. I had really gotten into the book and was annoying the crap out of my mom to let me see the movie, but she wouldnt becuase it was rated R. We had a deal, where if I did something until my birthday(now I cant remember what it was) she would let me see it. So I came home one day and it was sitting on my bed. I think I watched it 3 times before we had to return it.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: The first time I saw The Godfather... #7435
04/01/04 09:58 AM
04/01/04 09:58 AM
England
Big Paz Offline
Wiseguy
Big Paz  Offline
Wiseguy
England
I think i was 18 before i watched it. i knew it was a good film that was 3 hours long and deserved a lot of respect, so i waited until i had the whole house to myself and watched the first 2 parts. i never got a chance to watch the third part until i got to university. i watched them only a few more times until the dvd box set came out, and then i was watching them at least once a week, although i sometimes fell asleep as it would most likely be 3 in the morning.

Michael Corleone: "You straightened my brother out?"
Re: The first time I saw The Godfather... #7436
04/01/04 10:21 AM
04/01/04 10:21 AM
Las Vegas
Connie_Corleone Offline
Wiseguy
Connie_Corleone  Offline
Wiseguy
Las Vegas
I remember I was on the couch, watching MTV which had a 'film' show at the time - usually it was about the newest films that were coming out, how wonderful they were blah blah blah ... I never really watched it before, but this day they were having a show about 'The Godfather.' No other films mentioned. Well, I heard the distinctive opening music for the Godfather, and then there were screens showing famous scenes from GF 1 and 2. I think Andy Garcia said, that when he told his cousin he was in GF3, his cousin said 'Oh my god, you're in the Italian Star Wars' or something like that ... I sat and watched the entire show, not moving ... I knew I had just had a preview of something significant, but I wasn't sure what. When the show was over I went into the kitchen where my parents were, and I said, 'What's The Godfather?' And my parents immediately made sounds of reverence ...

And, well, then I went and rented it out from the video store, and the rest is history!

"You blamed him for Sonny -- you always did. Everybody did. But you never thought about me -- you never gave a damn about me."
Re: The first time I saw The Godfather... #7437
04/01/04 03:14 PM
04/01/04 03:14 PM
Saddle Brook, NJ
Justin Offline
Made Member
Justin  Offline
Made Member
Saddle Brook, NJ
As I mentioned in a previous post, it was in 1972 at the Park Lane Theatre in Palisades Park, NJ. My date, a blond named Linda, was a James Caan fan and did not mind seeing the movie in its entirety twice. I remember telling my father about the movie and after he went to see it, he came back impressed which was not an easy task. My mother loves any story which involves Italian families and she also loved the movie and watches it a couple times a year.
I had a 1969 Impala at that time, with a 327 engine, I was in my third year of college and weighed 140 pounds.

Justin
Re: The first time I saw The Godfather... #7438
04/01/04 05:10 PM
04/01/04 05:10 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I too saw it at it's release. I had just read the book and loved it and was anxious to see it on film. There was a whole lot hoopla surrounding it and I knew it was going to be a "big" production. Most of my relatives saw it and at the next holiday gathering it was quite the topic. I'd love to see it on the big screen again. smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: The first time I saw The Godfather... #7439
04/02/04 10:19 AM
04/02/04 10:19 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Although this topic has been posted before, its still a favorite and interesting to read the new posts. But for the newbies, us oldies (both age and time on the board) don't mind reminicsing.

I was 21 when GF was released. I had read the book the previous year and everyone was psyched to see the movie. There was a lot of pre-release publicity surrounding the choice of actors. People questioned the choice of Brando as Vito; who was this guy Pacino?; Caan? he doesn't look Italian!, etc. Then there was all the buzz about the horsehead scene (will they show it?)

I don't remember exactly when I saw it, but it wasn't too long after release. It was showing in one theater by us - "The 59 Theater" in Nanuet, NY. It was the biggest, newest, most comfortable seats (they rocked) and it cost more than the other theaters. Always the first-run, big-time movies. Well, the rest is history. Having seen the movie countless times, its hard to remember the impact of the first viewing. But it was special and far better than anything I'd ever seen.

GF2 played in the same theater. Again, repeated viewings have dimmed the memory of the initial viewing, but it was eagerly anticipated after GF and it didn't disappoint. Everyone love DeNiro of course.

GF3 also played in the same theater. But.......well you know. We loved it for being more Godfather, but it just didn't have the same impact.

The Godfather was also released at a time when the style and content of films was changing dramatically. A lot of social commentary type movies were being made. Violence, sex and strong language were becoming the mainstay of popular movies. The Godfather cranked it up a few notches, but with unmatched style and content. Can't wait to see how GF 4 is made.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: The first time I saw The Godfather... #7440
04/02/04 12:01 PM
04/02/04 12:01 PM
ACK_NO. 1 Offline OP
Button
ACK_NO. 1  Offline OP
Button
MaryCas,

That must have been very cool to have seen it when it was brand new and fresh. There's nothing like seeing a picture at the height of its popularity and being in on the excitement.

Plus, I never got to see Godfather I or II in a theater, so that's another advantage. It did come to a local theater for the 25th anniversary and I'm kicking myself for not having gone and seen it.

Re: The first time I saw The Godfather... #7441
04/06/04 05:25 PM
04/06/04 05:25 PM
Hagit Offline
Wiseguy
Hagit  Offline
Wiseguy
I don't remember how old I was but I remember my father told me I should watch this movie (GF1). You bet your life he wish he had not said it smile . The Godfathers are my EVER favorite movies .

(I'd whish...!!)
Re: The first time I saw The Godfather... #7442
04/12/04 09:26 AM
04/12/04 09:26 AM
Netherlands
Don Schulini Offline
Made Member
Don Schulini  Offline
Made Member
Netherlands
I saw the Godfather for the first time when I was 16, part 2 and 3 when I was 19, this was last year. When I turned 20 (last january) I got the DVD box as a gift from my parents, since then I watched the GF1 & 2 each about 6 times (I had to catch up huh wink ) and I watched Part 3 2 times. I'm only a fan for about a year, but now the Godfather trilogy is in my opinion the most fascinating saga of all time.

"You never wanted my friendship, you don't ask with respect.."
Re: The first time I saw The Godfather... #7443
04/12/04 10:31 AM
04/12/04 10:31 AM
ACK_NO. 1 Offline OP
Button
ACK_NO. 1  Offline OP
Button
Originally posted by Don Schulini:
I saw the Godfather for the first time when I was 16, part 2 and 3 when I was 19, this was last year. When I turned 20 (last january) I got the DVD box as a gift from my parents, since then I watched the GF1 & 2 each about 6 times (I had to catch up huh wink ) and I watched Part 3 2 times. I'm only a fan for about a year, but now the Godfather trilogy is in my opinion the most fascinating saga of all time.
Amen to that!

I saw The Godfather movies when I was 13 - this was long before GF III - and it changed my life in terms of how I viewed movies.

The Godfather is my favorite movie of all-time. Period.

I guarantee you will watch them so many times you will be able to recite the dialogue when you watch them.

grin

Re: The first time I saw The Godfather... #7444
04/12/04 05:31 PM
04/12/04 05:31 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
I actually just saw the first Godfather, all the way through, for the first time in 2001. However, I actually saw GF2 first - I remember just flicking channels and stumbling upon it on USA Network. I think it was about 30 minutes into the movie, but I watched the rest of it. I started asking my friend, a fanatic of both GFI & GFII, all of my questions. From that point, I began watching both movies whenever they came on t.v. At the time, they were on USA, AMC, and a few other stations regularly. I know at least 2 of those showings were the Saga. I remember Christmas 2002 that the Saga came on b/c we were snowed in for most of the day. I remarked to my wife that it was, indeed, a "Goombah Christmas." cool

Re: The first time I saw The Godfather... #7445
04/12/04 08:25 PM
04/12/04 08:25 PM
parameter Offline
Associate
parameter  Offline
Associate
I remember seeing it for the first time on regular TV (back in the stone ages when you only had three channels) with my Dad. It mad me so sad, especially the music, dunno why. But I loved the movie!

I also remeber going to the mall and seeing Sonny's car on display with all the bullet holes in it, that was quite an experience.

Re: The first time I saw The Godfather... #7446
04/12/04 10:39 PM
04/12/04 10:39 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Originally posted by goombah:
I actually just saw the first Godfather, all the way through, for the first time in 2001.
I saw GF2 for the first time just last year, so dont feel too bad grin Para- When did you get to see Sonny's car? That had to have been so fucking awesome! eek

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: The first time I saw The Godfather... #7447
04/19/04 07:11 PM
04/19/04 07:11 PM
parameter Offline
Associate
parameter  Offline
Associate
I saw it in a shopping mall, way back when. It was on some type of tour. I was just a little kid so late seventies I think. I remember me and my brother going up to it and putting our fingers into the "bullet holes", at least until my Mom dragged us away.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull