GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 146 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,890
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,662
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Peter DiChiara #801577
09/08/14 07:08 PM
09/08/14 07:08 PM
F
Flushing Offline OP
Capo
Flushing  Offline OP
F
Capo
Capeci is reporting that Petey Red DiChiara and the Genovese has consumed the Bonanno's old grip on the newspaper business. He also says the Petey Red operates out of a club on the Lower East Side.

Is this believable? I thought all the old LES social clubs were shuttered.

Just curious because you hardly expect to see a story that says: "Lower East Side mobsters take over newspaper business". At least not in 2014.

Re: Peter DiChiara [Re: Flushing] #801578
09/08/14 07:12 PM
09/08/14 07:12 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I thought I posted about this here. But it was on one of the other sites. Anyway, here's what I had to say about it:

They're overstating the activity at Petey Red's club. The place was closed for years. And now that he's been home awhile, I agree that he probably uses it to meet with old and trusted friends. But that's only because he's such a dinosaur. Christ, imagine getting called down there from North Jersey or Long Island just because Petey didn't get the memo that the neighborhood wasn't Italian anymore? lol

That club used to be open all day, every day. But today it looks like they selectively opens the doors when Petey has business to attend to. And now that this article came out, I GUARANTEE that they'll shutter it again.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Peter DiChiara [Re: pizzaboy] #801608
09/09/14 03:50 AM
09/09/14 03:50 AM
F
Flushing Offline OP
Capo
Flushing  Offline OP
F
Capo
Thanks pizza! Always with great info. Can I ask what neighborhood is Pete from? I saw another article online that said during supervised release, he was allowed to take exercise walks under the FDR expressway. So I'm guessing he is down by the old fish market area.

Re: Peter DiChiara [Re: Flushing] #801613
09/09/14 04:29 AM
09/09/14 04:29 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Flushing
Thanks pizza! Always with great info. Can I ask what neighborhood is Pete from?

Petey is determined to be the last Italian American in Knickerbocker Village whistle.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Peter DiChiara [Re: Flushing] #801676
09/09/14 11:03 AM
09/09/14 11:03 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Flushing
Capeci is reporting that Petey Red DiChiara and the Genovese has consumed the Bonanno's old grip on the newspaper business. He also says the Petey Red operates out of a club on the Lower East Side.

Is this believable? I thought all the old LES social clubs were shuttered.

Just curious because you hardly expect to see a story that says: "Lower East Side mobsters take over newspaper business". At least not in 2014.

"Take over the newspaper business" is a stretch but there have been some cases in recent years involving the mob and the Newspaper & Mail Deliverers Union. Back in 2009 the union offices were actually raided in an investigation into ongoing corruption and mob ties. Besides getting relatives no show jobs (DiChiara and Colombo underboss Benjamin Castellazo did this most recently) the DiChiara crew was "bootlegging" newspapers by using non-union drivers to distribute stolen newspapers and magazines from which they got kickbacks. That's been a mob racket for decades.

Traditionally, the Bonannos were involved with the New York Post while the Luccheses were involved with the New York Times and New York Daily News.

A good article about some of this came out in 2001 -

http://www.villagevoice.com/2001-03-06/news/the-newspaper-racket/

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Peter DiChiara [Re: Flushing] #801688
09/09/14 11:35 AM
09/09/14 11:35 AM
P
padrone Offline
Made Member
padrone  Offline
P
Made Member
Hey PB, my Aunt still lives there so there may be two Italians left, but in its day it was a great place. My cousin works for the Post with Vinny Bionics (Both grew up in Knickerbocker Village). He told me Bionics who was going away a couple of years ago had an "accident" so he could go on workers comp before he got sentenced. Hes a Bonanno guy and I don't know if he's still at the Post. My uncle and father worked for the papers, my uncle his whole life and my father on and off for years and their most interesting friend was Doug LaChance. You guys should read up on him, he was a real character and very powerful.

Re: Peter DiChiara [Re: padrone] #801702
09/09/14 01:20 PM
09/09/14 01:20 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: padrone
Hey PB, my Aunt still lives there so there may be two Italians left, but in its day it was a great place. My cousin works for the Post with Vinny Bionics (Both grew up in Knickerbocker Village). He told me Bionics who was going away a couple of years ago had an "accident" so he could go on workers comp before he got sentenced. Hes a Bonanno guy and I don't know if he's still at the Post. My uncle and father worked for the papers, my uncle his whole life and my father on and off for years and their most interesting friend was Doug LaChance. You guys should read up on him, he was a real character and very powerful.

Well, there's a small world for you. I've posted about this here a few times, so I won't bore you with the details. But my grandfather was a typesetter for the Daily News from the '30s through the '70s. But he wasn't an active printer for half that time because he ended up being pretty heavy with the typographers (Local 6). Some of my very best memories from childhood are going to see him back in the '60s at the old News building.

I'm very familiar with LaChance. He was in distribution, of course. And he came into power long after my grandfather was gone. But he was well known throughout the industry. Big personality, love him or hate him kind of guy wink.

And no argument about Knickerbocker. It was a nice place to live back then. God bless your aunt for hanging in there. She must be pretty fluent in both Chinese and Spanish grin smile.

Re: Peter DiChiara [Re: Flushing] #801837
09/10/14 06:23 AM
09/10/14 06:23 AM
P
padrone Offline
Made Member
padrone  Offline
P
Made Member
As a kid my dad would take me into the press room to see old friends and the guys would always make me those newspaper hats. It holds great memories. My grandfather was with the News and the Times since the about the same time but he was a teamster. I bet my grandfather and uncle and dad knew your grandfather. Those old timers had some great stories. Not to long ago I was walking in the neighborhood past San Giuseppe's and there were signs in Chinese hanging from it. The place is a different world now. My Aunt is older now and splits here time between Monroe Street and Long Beach.

Re: Peter DiChiara [Re: Flushing] #801859
09/10/14 07:33 AM
09/10/14 07:33 AM
F
Flushing Offline OP
Capo
Flushing  Offline OP
F
Capo
Good thread. I love reading about historical LES Italian neighborhoods. I also thought Knickerbocker was Bonnano area but I guess there were westside guys on the eastside.

Thanks

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull