GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 261 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,445
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,848
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,509
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,312
Posts1,058,401
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Speaking Too Soon. #800362
09/04/14 12:47 PM
09/04/14 12:47 PM
theagaves Offline OP
Associate
theagaves  Offline OP
Associate
Does anyone else notice characters speaking slightly too soon in Part II? This mannerism really takes me out of the film's reality because it exposes the characters as prepared actors. I wonder if this is a directorial choice.

-Johnny Ola: "One by one, our old friends are all dead." This remark, changing the topic of conversation, seems to come in a beat too soon, as he hadn't really been listening to Michael or thinking about what they were saying.
-Neri: talking about the High Court of Israel's ruling on Hyman Roth. His speaking manner during the entire scene here seems rushed and contrived, as if reading from a script. As an acting student, I may be projecting myself onto him, but Richard Bright seems to be attempting to disguise his (the actor's) genuine nervousness (perhaps at working with such high-caliber peers) as Neri's scorn, but it doesn't work for me.

Compare these actors' choices with the naturalism of Caan or Gazzo. Like Ola and Neri, Hagen also seem to have a somewhat stiffer "prepared" speaking style.

Last edited by theagaves; 09/04/14 01:03 PM.
Re: Speaking Too Soon. [Re: theagaves] #800474
09/04/14 07:06 PM
09/04/14 07:06 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: theagaves
Does anyone else notice characters speaking slightly too soon in Part II? This mannerism really takes me out of the film's reality because it exposes the characters as prepared actors. I wonder if this is a directorial choiceYou

-Johnny Ola: "One by one, our old friends are all dead." This remark, changing the topic of conversation, seems to come in a beat too soon, as he hadn't really been listening to Michael or thinking about what they were saying.

You could look at it that way. Another way of looking at it: The Johnny Ola character is a con man and is totally insincere. He's Roth's front man. We learn later that Roth wants Michael dead, and that Ola and Roth have corrupted Fredo. So, you could say that the scene introduces the Roth character even before we see him, and that Ola is expounding on Roth's virtues as a way of conning Michael to make him more amenable to Roth's deal.

Quote:
-Neri: talking about the High Court of Israel's ruling on Hyman Roth. His speaking manner during the entire scene here seems rushed and contrived, as if reading from a script. As an acting student, I may be projecting myself onto him, but Richard Bright seems to be attempting to disguise his (the actor's) genuine nervousness (perhaps at working with such high-caliber peers) as Neri's scorn, but it doesn't work for me.

Compare these actors' choices with the naturalism of Caan or Gazzo. Like Ola and Neri, Hagen also seem to have a somewhat stiffer "prepared" speaking style.

Richard Bright, let's face it, was hardly a great actor. and a big part of it was that he wasn't any good at dialog. That may have been one of the reasons he got so few lines. I see the significance of that scene as Neri pushing past Rocco, and trying to push past Tom, to become Michael's #2 man. He played that part well. Notice how he leads the discussion about Roth's whereabouts. Notice how he sits back, relaxed, while Rocco stands, looking tense. Also notice how, when Michael slams Tom about getting an outside offer, and how he can take his wife, his mistress and his family and live in Vegas, Neri smirks--as if he were the source of that info.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Speaking Too Soon. [Re: theagaves] #800504
09/05/14 06:03 AM
09/05/14 06:03 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Too soon? I don't see or hear that at all. I think you're really looking for something that isn't there.

Also TB, I don't know why some Board members persist with this Neri competition with anyone. There's nothing in the films to support it. He was chosen by Michael from day one to be his closest family member and he remained so sans competition.

Last edited by olivant; 09/05/14 06:22 AM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Speaking Too Soon. [Re: theagaves] #800597
09/05/14 01:59 PM
09/05/14 01:59 PM
pgh., pa
Guiseppe Petri Offline
. 45 caliber
Guiseppe Petri  Offline
. 45 caliber
Made Member
pgh., pa
Neri was Mike's second in command since the meeting in vitos office when mike announces the Vegas move. His character was such that be didn't need to speak to get the job done or his point across. If they would have left the klingman scene in, you would have seen neri loose his temper. He did jobs without getting emotional ( except for j would argue the fredo affair) you can see his dismay when like tells him to let fredo go until mama dies, even more so at her funeral when mike gives him the look.
As for characters, how about when at the wedding, 100 .lb Paulie reaches inside his jacket like he' s gonna grab his gun if the FBI guy, then gives him the horn symbol with his hand. Bad writing of you ask me.

Guiseppe Petri
Re: Speaking Too Soon. [Re: olivant] #800936
09/06/14 12:19 PM
09/06/14 12:19 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: olivant
Too soon? I don't see or hear that at all. I think you're really looking for something that isn't there.

Also TB, I don't know why some Board members persist with this Neri competition with anyone. There's nothing in the films to support it. He was chosen by Michael from day one to be his closest family member and he remained so sans competition.

Yes and no. Michael never had anyone's position in cement. When he went to Cuba he left Tom in charge, not Neri because at that time he needed Tom's temperament and brains to keep Kay under control, and to run things on an even keel. Neri could not have filled that role. This elevation of Tom gave Neri the incentive to try even harder to re establish himself, at least in his own worldview. He got the goods on Tom's job offers and mistress, and he was more than content to allow Rocco to volunteer for the suicide mission. By the time of III, neri was the only one left, and he was stragely unambitious. He fell right into line when Vincent became the new Don, and he followed the order to go to Rome and shoot the Archbishop.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Speaking Too Soon. [Re: theagaves] #801048
09/06/14 05:17 PM
09/06/14 05:17 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I don't know DT. He left Tom in charge because at that moment he couldn't trust anyone except Tom. But still, there is no indication that Neri was ever less than Michael's right hand man.

Last edited by olivant; 09/06/14 05:18 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Speaking Too Soon. [Re: olivant] #801286
09/07/14 02:04 PM
09/07/14 02:04 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Another (perhaps parallel) possibility: By using an outside bodyguard, Michael was signaling Roth that he didn't trust (or hadn't ruled out) Neri and Rocco, and was still looking inward (inside his family) rather than outward (toward Roth).

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Speaking Too Soon. [Re: Turnbull] #801417
09/08/14 05:36 AM
09/08/14 05:36 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Another (perhaps parallel) possibility: By using an outside bodyguard, Michael was signaling Roth that he didn't trust (or hadn't ruled out) Neri and Rocco, and was still looking inward (inside his family) rather than outward (toward Roth).

It served a double purpose. It clearly showed Roth that Michael did not trust anyone in his family (except that guy who brought the suitcase full of cash to Havana ---more misfirection?). Also, Tom needed Neri's muscle in Nevada to provide physical protection for the family and to blackmail Geary.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull