GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (joepuzzles234, 1 invisible), 286 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,679
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,203
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,519
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,390
Posts1,059,992
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mafia structure and made men #799284
08/30/14 12:09 AM
08/30/14 12:09 AM
D
DonKostic Offline OP
Button
DonKostic  Offline OP
D
Button
Hey everyone, newbie here. There's a thing that has been puzzling me about the American Mafia. Generally when we think of the typical mob organization and traditions we don't think earlier than 40's or 50's. Even the old fashioned traditional bosses such as Masseria, Maranzano or Johnny Torrio didn't apparently make men as mobsters such as Luciano or Al Capone weren't made. When Luciano established the Commission he didn't agree with the traditional ways of doing business so I guess he didn't bother with the made man ceremonies either. So, when was it become custom to make men and who made it happen?

Also, when were the structure and ranks we know today brought in? I don't think Luciano cared about that stuff either, but earlier bosses led what we usually call simply gangs and not families so I wonder when were those organizations started being called families?

Thank you.

Re: Mafia structure and made men [Re: DonKostic] #799285
08/30/14 01:00 AM
08/30/14 01:00 AM
manchester uk
domwoods74 Offline
Underboss
domwoods74  Offline
Underboss
manchester uk
Maranzano created the structure with boss underboss and capos like the roman army , luciano created the position of consigliere and the commission . The Chicago outfit never used the traditional making ceromony , they used to have a meal and shake hands and u were in , it was only very much later they adopted the traditional making ceromony

Re: Mafia structure and made men [Re: DonKostic] #799286
08/30/14 03:03 AM
08/30/14 03:03 AM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
Dom, did Capone have a traditional ceremony or the meal?

Re: Mafia structure and made men [Re: DonKostic] #799287
08/30/14 03:08 AM
08/30/14 03:08 AM
manchester uk
domwoods74 Offline
Underboss
domwoods74  Offline
Underboss
manchester uk
I don't even think Capone was even made in the traditional sense

Re: Mafia structure and made men [Re: domwoods74] #799289
08/30/14 04:16 AM
08/30/14 04:16 AM
Belette Offline
Made Member
Belette  Offline
Made Member
In his biography Joe Bonanno says that Capone refused to adopt the making ceremony for Chicago, unlike the other families. So from the book I got the impression that the making ceremony became the official way either by Maranzano or Lucky.

Re: Mafia structure and made men [Re: DonKostic] #799291
08/30/14 04:57 AM
08/30/14 04:57 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Boss, underboss, consigliere, captains and soldiers is the norm and been so since the first day the Mafia arrived in America. And that´s way before Maranzano became boss. Nicolo Gentile (google him if you haven´t heard of him) for example talks about the structure of the Mafia, naming captains, consiglieres and underbosses. Masseria´s consigliere was Saverio Pollaccia. Soldiers were inducted in pretty much the same way back then as they are now. Valachi for example tells about it when he was made in 1930 and that´s before Luciano became boss.

One big misconception about the American Mafia is that it was formed, or started by Maranzano or Luciano. But we know now that this is really not the case. In New York, at the very beginning, there were three Families based there. The New York Mafia became five Families when Reina and Profaci/or DiBella became bosses of their Families in the 1920s.

I don´t know how many times I must have said this on here. At least a couple of times. And obviously some people don´t get it for some reason. (This is not me throwing insults at anybody, just want to help out).

Welcome to the forums DonKostic! (Another Serb???) :-)

[Linked Image]
Re: Mafia structure and made men [Re: HairyKnuckles] #799292
08/30/14 05:18 AM
08/30/14 05:18 AM
manchester uk
domwoods74 Offline
Underboss
domwoods74  Offline
Underboss
manchester uk
Was nicolo gentile not made in Italy ?? He wasn't an American mafioso

Re: Mafia structure and made men [Re: domwoods74] #799293
08/30/14 05:22 AM
08/30/14 05:22 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: domwoods74
Was nicolo gentile not made in Italy ?? He wasn't an American mafioso

He was very much part of the American Mafia. Member in Kansas, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and New York. Fled to Sicily in mid 1930s and died there.

[Linked Image]
Re: Mafia structure and made men [Re: HairyKnuckles] #799294
08/30/14 05:44 AM
08/30/14 05:44 AM
manchester uk
domwoods74 Offline
Underboss
domwoods74  Offline
Underboss
manchester uk
Cheers hairy , I've just read he came to New York at a young age , was he an original member of the black hand ?? I don't think they were as organised as wen masseria maranzano and then luciano came along

Re: Mafia structure and made men [Re: DonKostic] #799297
08/30/14 05:56 AM
08/30/14 05:56 AM
D
DonKostic Offline OP
Button
DonKostic  Offline OP
D
Button
I always thought consigliere was invented by Mario Puzo and then later on used by gangsters. New thing learned.

And yes, another Serb. smile

Re: Mafia structure and made men [Re: domwoods74] #799306
08/30/14 06:46 AM
08/30/14 06:46 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: domwoods74
Cheers hairy , I've just read he came to New York at a young age , was he an original member of the black hand ?? I don't think they were as organised as wen masseria maranzano and then luciano came along

It was a long time ago I read Gentile so sorry I can´t recall if he was a black hander or not before joining the Mafia. He may have been.

Last edited by HairyKnuckles; 08/30/14 06:47 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Mafia structure and made men [Re: DonKostic] #799380
08/30/14 01:21 PM
08/30/14 01:21 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
There is much more info on Nicolo Gentile in Italian than English. There was no mention if he was in the Black Hand from what I have read thus far.

He was all over the place just like HK mentions add Houston to the list. When he went back to Sicily he became a key player in drug trafficking working with Giuseppe Settecase along with the Luciano and Mangano (Gambino) families.

Re: Mafia structure and made men [Re: DonKostic] #799420
08/30/14 05:03 PM
08/30/14 05:03 PM
S
sbhc Offline
Made Member
sbhc  Offline
S
Made Member
Lucky wanted the ceremony to go the way of the Mustache Petes, he saw it as a relic of that culture, he was a modernizer and wanted a new look Mob fashioned on his own ideals.

Meyer Lanksy convinced him to keep the tradition, to keep the guys loyal and to feel that they belonged to something, a family. Also taking the oath of Omerta meant something in those days, to have to swear it in a formal ceremony in the company of your peers copper fastened the pledge.

Re: Mafia structure and made men [Re: DonKostic] #799603
08/31/14 02:52 PM
08/31/14 02:52 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
I'm reading Gentile's memoirs, well bits and pieces of it. It's in Italian so it's been taking me quite some time to get through it. If half of what he mentions is TRUE then this has to be the MOST detailed account on how the whole business structure of organized crime played out in North America and Sicily and how they are interlinked.

HK you are The Man. Thanks for mentioning Gentile. I feel like I have access to some REAL accurate information which is rare in the world of organized crime.

Re: Mafia structure and made men [Re: DonKostic] #799648
08/31/14 06:23 PM
08/31/14 06:23 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Nicola Gentile is often forgotten. He gives great accounts of the mafia in both America, Sicily, and some of mainland Italy. HK, I looked over Gentile as being the source of information about that article published, that some think that Joe Doto was the source, but Nicola was in Sicily at the time and not on the mainland. Gentile did talk to the KGB, but nothing mob related, just political rivals who opposed Nicola's own picks for those positions of public power. He gives great details of the Prohibition years throughout the 20's.

The Mafia Structure can be traced back to the 1860's with the execption of the positions of Consiglieri and Capo. Three positions that existed around that time are, Giudice meaning judge, don't really know what he did as is was the Mafia bosses that sorted most of the problems out for their own families or civilians. Messaggero, someone who was direct with the boss and traveled to the other cities, villages, or provinces in Sicily with a message from their boss. Tenente, this position best describes by the role of Capo, with whatever the person is in charge of such as cattle or orchards would be attached to that title.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Mafia structure and made men [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #799671
08/31/14 10:43 PM
08/31/14 10:43 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: Alfanosgirl
I'm reading Gentile's memoirs, well bits and pieces of it. It's in Italian so it's been taking me quite some time to get through it. If half of what he mentions is TRUE then this has to be the MOST detailed account on how the whole business structure of organized crime played out in North America and Sicily and how they are interlinked.

HK you are The Man. Thanks for mentioning Gentile. I feel like I have access to some REAL accurate information which is rare in the world of organized crime.

I have the English (translated) version of the manuscript that was used for the book. It was translated into English by American agents, if memory serves. Sometimes keywords or original thoughts of the author (any author and on any topic) gets lost in translations. Especially in this case which is about the Mafia, a phenomenon that was pretty new and at that time still something that was hard to grasp and understand for outsiders. AG, It´s impressive that you are reading the book in Italian.

Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
Nicola Gentile is often forgotten. He gives great accounts of the mafia in both America, Sicily, and some of mainland Italy. HK, I looked over Gentile as being the source of information about that article published, that some think that Joe Doto was the source, but Nicola was in Sicily at the time and not on the mainland. Gentile did talk to the KGB, but nothing mob related, just political rivals who opposed Nicola's own picks for those positions of public power. He gives great details of the Prohibition years throughout the 20's.

The Mafia Structure can be traced back to the 1860's with the execption of the positions of Consiglieri and Capo. Three positions that existed around that time are, Giudice meaning judge, don't really know what he did as is was the Mafia bosses that sorted most of the problems out for their own families or civilians. Messaggero, someone who was direct with the boss and traveled to the other cities, villages, or provinces in Sicily with a message from their boss. Tenente, this position best describes by the role of Capo, with whatever the person is in charge of such as cattle or orchards would be attached to that title.

My favorite part is the one when he talks about the Castellammarese war and the politics that was going on in connection with the war. For example, he talks about how Maranzano rejected the idea of a Commission and how "pissed" he was when some mafiosi suggested Vincenzo Troia (I think it was) taking over the boss of bosses position. Vigorous as Maranzano was, he managed to win the political side of it as soon as he won the war. But he must had gained some powerful enemies in the process, not only among those who shortly after killed him.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull