I am watching the old series "The Untouchables". Even though not historically accurate, I think it can be enjoyable and funny as a work of fiction. However, I read that halfway in the second season they dropped all the Italian surnames for fictional gangsters because some important Italian-American groups protested and called it "discrimination". I think dropping them was absurd, as the most powerful organized crime figures in USA at the time were Italians and, what makes even less sense from this "political correctness" point of view, is that they started substituting Italian names with Jewish and Irish ones, for example the character "Nick Tomassi" became "Pete Konitz". Why didn't the Irish and Jews protest as well then? I mean, by doing a favor to Italian groups they did the opposite to other ethnic groups, why wasn't there any reaction?
In my opinion, being influenced by political correctness while making characters doesn't make sense, it's like in the similar series "Cain's Hundred" where there is an organization that is a clear allusion to Cosa Nostra, yet all the bosses have English names like Braddock, Cook, Norman etc.
If they wanted to do a favor to Italian groups, they could have just made more emphasis on "good" Italian characters, introduce more incorruptable Italian cops in the show etc, instead of ruining further the historical accuracy of the show that already wasn't very historically accurate.

I mean, I like Italians myself, I don't believe at all they are all mafia, but if putting some Italian fictional gangsters in the show is "discrimination", then what about the show "The Wire"? They could have said that, the gangsters like Avon Barksdale and Marlo Stanfield being black, this is discrimination against blacks, therefore why not make them white for the sake of political correctness, who cares about historical accuracy?

What do you think?

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."