GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Toodoped, Irishman12, 2 invisible), 198 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,415
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,830
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,302
Posts1,058,261
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The more obscure mobs in US History. #787411
07/05/14 06:27 PM
07/05/14 06:27 PM
S
sbhc Offline OP
Made Member
sbhc  Offline OP
S
Made Member
Organised crime in America seemed to grow and develop from the European immigrants. The two cultures who made the biggest impact were the Irish and the Italians. Both were heavy presence's in the underworld in the late 1800s and early 20th century.

What about other cultures who emigrated to the US? Did the Germans, Dutch, French, Spanish, Portuguese form mobs?

Last edited by sbhc; 07/05/14 06:28 PM.
Re: The more obscure mobs in US History. [Re: sbhc] #787430
07/05/14 09:38 PM
07/05/14 09:38 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: sbhc
Organised crime in America seemed to grow and develop from the European immigrants. The two cultures who made the biggest impact were the Irish and the Italians. Both were heavy presence's in the underworld in the late 1800s and early 20th century.

And what about the Eastern European Jews who were right next to the Irish and Italians a hundred years ago?

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: The more obscure mobs in US History. [Re: sbhc] #787431
07/05/14 10:02 PM
07/05/14 10:02 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
My father was an Hungarian Jew who did strong arm work. He also had a hundred amature fights as a kid. They fought for watches in those days. I collect watches I don't have any that he won as a kud. He beat the champion of the army in a fight once.

He was also a cut man in the golden gloves HS friend was the manager of golden gloves fighter in NJ.

He made his sport his life's work. Did strong arm work.

But that nut job always had some left to give to his wife and kids when he got home.

One time I got in a fight at the boys club. I got hit in the eye with a pool ball. I could not see out of it. My mother begged him to take me to the eye doctor. He finally did by that time I was able to see it of my eye.

But the eye doctor said I needed glasses. He had to dial ate my pupils. I was a little kid I did not want anyone puttin anything in my eyes.

So I would not let the doctor put the drops in my eyes.mhe got annoyed and started to dig his nails into my arm to control me.

I did not like that so I ripped his shirt. Now the doctor wants us to leave his office. My ather was not going to leave so he try's to put the drops in my eyes. I was not afraid of him anymore so I would not let him do it either.

Then a bright light goes into his bald head. He knew I was afraid of sister in my grammer school sister superia. He calls the convent and she appears he paid her cab fair back and forth and made a donation to the church.

She says my name and tells me she is going to,put the drops in my eyes. The tough guy me says to her Yes sister smile

She puts them in and leaves.

Now Daddio is paying the doctor. Then the doctor made a big mistake. He tells my father that I need mental help. No shit smile everyone knew that.

But my father took it as an insult to him. Meaning he said something he produced needed mental help. My Daddio beat the crap out of the doctor in his own office. Plus he robbed him smile

I tell that story to every new doctor I see now. Then I tell the doctor don't hurt me because I am my fathers son.

only the unloved hate
Re: The more obscure mobs in US History. [Re: pizzaboy] #787434
07/05/14 10:17 PM
07/05/14 10:17 PM
S
sbhc Offline OP
Made Member
sbhc  Offline OP
S
Made Member
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

And what about the Eastern European Jews who were right next to the Irish and Italians a hundred years ago?

I'm well aware of Jewish mobsters of European extraction in that time period, what I what to know is that did other European cultures form gangs.

Re: The more obscure mobs in US History. [Re: sbhc] #787573
07/06/14 03:51 PM
07/06/14 03:51 PM
S
ScottD Offline
Made Member
ScottD  Offline
S
Made Member
There was/is a small Greek mob in Tarpon Springs. It's a heavily Greek city just north of Clearwater, Florida. Great food.

The Aremnian mob is strong in Glendale, California, though that's a more recent organization.

Re: The more obscure mobs in US History. [Re: sbhc] #787611
07/06/14 09:15 PM
07/06/14 09:15 PM
Brooklyn
Paddy_James Offline
Button
Paddy_James  Offline
Button
Brooklyn
The Albanians are operating in the Bronx and the Russians in Coney Island. Damn close to my neighborhood, too damn close.

Re: The more obscure mobs in US History. [Re: Paddy_James] #787616
07/06/14 09:31 PM
07/06/14 09:31 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Paddy_James
The Albanians are operating in the Bronx and the Russians in Coney Island. Damn close to my neighborhood, too damn close.

The Albanians are doing a good job of assimilating here in the Bronx. It's estimated that they own a full one third of the apartment buildings in the borough (and nearly 75 percent of the pizzerias, but that's another story all together).

They began as building superintendents back in the '70s and started buying up the apartment complexes dirt cheap when "white flight" was at its peak back in the '80s and '90s.

They're very shrewd, business minded people.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: The more obscure mobs in US History. [Re: pizzaboy] #787626
07/06/14 10:58 PM
07/06/14 10:58 PM
Ivan Offline
Underboss
Ivan  Offline
Underboss
FWIW, there were a handful of French guys in the North Side Mob in Chicago during Prohibition, Bugs Moran and Louis Alterie being the two most prominent.

Re: The more obscure mobs in US History. [Re: Paddy_James] #787633
07/07/14 12:49 AM
07/07/14 12:49 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss

The Russians are alright just make sure your children don't marry any of them.

Have you ever eat in one of their restraunts over there. They try to get 12 people in a table designed for six.

only the unloved hate
Re: The more obscure mobs in US History. [Re: pizzaboy] #787636
07/07/14 02:33 AM
07/07/14 02:33 AM
Underground
Toodoped Online off
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Online Off
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground

The Albanians are doing a good job of assimilating here in the Bronx.

They have assimilated half of Europe also(and all of the Balkans) and they are operating many legal or illegal businesses.Most of the families that I know of,are legit and have big businesses around the globe.But the thing is,even if one person in the family is crooked,that person might lead the rest of the family members into life of crime.They are very similar with the Sicilians...they have many cousins and relatives that work around the world,legaly or illegaly,so its easy for them to expand their local operations further.

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: The more obscure mobs in US History. [Re: sbhc] #787637
07/07/14 02:38 AM
07/07/14 02:38 AM
Underground
Toodoped Online off
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Online Off
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
What about other cultures who emigrated to the US? Did the Germans, Dutch, French, Spanish, Portuguese form mobs?

Back in the 40's and 50's,the Outfit in Chicago was in war with the Dutch criminal organization over the garbage disposal business.The Dutch owned the waste business since the 30's and later the Outfit wanted to take control with the help of Willie Daddano.The conflict was known as the "Garbage War"

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: The more obscure mobs in US History. [Re: sbhc] #787639
07/07/14 03:06 AM
07/07/14 03:06 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
There was one pretty well known Dutch criminal his name was Jaap Stam a real animal

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8sUYdjVUCg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

only the unloved hate
Re: The more obscure mobs in US History. [Re: sbhc] #787655
07/07/14 04:45 AM
07/07/14 04:45 AM
TheKillingJoke Offline
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline
Underboss

There will likely be criminals of German, Portuguese, French,...descent. Examples are Outfit associate Frank Schweihs (German) or Patriarca associates Joe Barboza and Tim Mello (both Portuguese). But as far as anything resembling their own ethnically based criminal organizations...not as far as I know. In that regard the main surviving ethnically based criminal organizations with a Western European flavor is the Mafia, several smaller Irish organized crime groups in New York, Boston, Philadelphia,...and some other smaller Greek groups (most well known being the Philadelphia Greek Mob).

Jews were once up there too, but that was a long time ago. Jewish organized crime in the USA mainly re-emerged with the 1980's "Russian" influx, many of whom were apparently in fact Ukrainian Jews from Odessa. Two established Russian-American criminal organizations are the so-called "Odessa mafia" and the "Malina organization", both with origins in Odessa.

Criminal groups from the Balkan also emerged, categorized into three type of groups: the "Albanian mafia", "Serbian mafia" and "Bulgarian mafia". Albanian criminal organizations are mostly clan-based networks with origins in Northern Albania and Kosovo. As the USA had an influx of Albanian immigrants, it's only natural that there were some less legit families among them.
Serbian criminal organizations have concentrated more on Europe and aren't that well known in the USA as far as I know. These gangs aren't family based, but resemble corporate networks as they recruit Serbs, Montenegrins but also Bosniaks from the Sandzak region (a Bosniak region on the Serb-Montenegrin border). The two most powerful organizations are the "Zemun clan" and the "Surcin clan", both named after the respective Belgrade neighborhoods from which the leader originated. In the 90s they were far more powerful and dangerous than the Albanians were.
Bulgarian criminal groups also mostly stayed in Europe. They are less publicized than the Albanian and Yugoslavian ones, but they're also very active. Like the Serbians they are far less clannish than the Albanians and also mostly operate in a corporate-like structure. The two best known Bulgarian criminal cartels are the "Multigroup" and the "Intergroup".
Albanian gangs have been publicized a lot in the USA, the Serbian and Bulgarian ones gained a lot less coverage. So I doubt the latter two spread to the USA in major way.

Re: The more obscure mobs in US History. [Re: pizzaboy] #787696
07/07/14 11:41 AM
07/07/14 11:41 AM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss

The Albanians are doing a good job of assimilating here in the Bronx. It's estimated that they own a full one third of the apartment buildings in the borough (and nearly 75 percent of the pizzerias, but that's another story all together).

They began as building superintendents back in the '70s and started buying up the apartment complexes dirt cheap when "white flight" was at its peak back in the '80s and '90s.

starting to get all the pizza shops here now...noticed it about 5 years ago in stamford. in new haven now...used to be only italian and greek

i find the albanians unfriendly lol

When Interpol?
Re: The more obscure mobs in US History. [Re: cheech] #787701
07/07/14 12:15 PM
07/07/14 12:15 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: cheech
starting to get all the pizza shops here now...noticed it about 5 years ago in stamford. in new haven now...used to be only italian and greek

i find the albanians unfriendly lol

Oh, they're unfriendly as shit if they don't know you lol.

Re: The more obscure mobs in US History. [Re: Ivan] #787746
07/07/14 02:52 PM
07/07/14 02:52 PM
Brooklyn
Paddy_James Offline
Button
Paddy_James  Offline
Button
Brooklyn
Originally Posted By: Ivan
FWIW, there were a handful of French guys in the North Side Mob in Chicago during Prohibition, Bugs Moran and Louis Alterie being the two most prominent.

Bugs Moran was Irish. Idk about Louis Alterie

Re: The more obscure mobs in US History. [Re: sbhc] #787752
07/07/14 03:13 PM
07/07/14 03:13 PM
Texas
TonyG Offline
Capo
TonyG  Offline
Capo
Texas
St Louis had a Syrian / Lebanese crew (Jimmy Michaels, the Leistures etc) that was aligned with LCN from Prohibition until their demise in the later 1970's / early 1980's..

Best way to catch the smart ones? Get an idiot working for them.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull