GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (RushStreet, joepuzzles234, 2 invisible), 238 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,339
Posts1,058,894
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: Beanshooter] #787181
07/04/14 12:53 PM
07/04/14 12:53 PM
S
sbhc Offline
Made Member
sbhc  Offline
S
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Beanshooter
Originally Posted By: sbhc
Who was the guy who made up a story about being Joe Masseria's grandson? I think he became some sort of evangelical Christian and had this backstory of being an ex NY gangster who found God.

He was featured on a tv show, I vaguely remember seeing it on youtube.

Are you talking about Tom Papania? Here is Papania on the 700 club...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8t6WoUmSO8

Yes that's him. Thanks for finding it.

Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: Beanshooter] #787183
07/04/14 12:57 PM
07/04/14 12:57 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Midetroit a lot of people on his board will tell you that MAssino was covering his ass, making stories up , etc, etc. etc. You have to draw your own conclusions on this.

Another valid point. Because the Feds never put words in the mouths of their prized stool pigeons.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: mldetroit] #787195
07/04/14 02:02 PM
07/04/14 02:02 PM
M
mulberry Offline OP
Underboss
mulberry  Offline OP
M
Underboss
Originally Posted By: mldetroit
I'm surprised that some of you think Pistone was full of shit - or dirty. There was a contract on Pistone, even it it was just so the mob could save face and was more for show. When Lefty got out of prison he went to Massino and requested permission to kill Pistone and Massino turned him down. You can't blame him for how a documentary is edited. He sits there and answers questions and a production company takes care of the rest. I am generally not a fan of police, but I find it impossible not to respect Pistone. It was a big deal what he did at that time.

We never claimed what he did wasn't a big deal at the time. What annoys me is the additional bullshit about the fake contract on his life and taking credit for things others did or things that never happened. Out of his mouth he claimed there was a $500,000 contract on his life from the Commission. He said he took down the whole Bonanno Family. He's still walking around with those stupid sunglasses all the time. I respect him for what he did, but I lose respect for him because of the additional BS. The worst part is he's on so many documentaries telling the same lies over and over.

Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: NE1020] #787197
07/04/14 02:04 PM
07/04/14 02:04 PM
M
mulberry Offline OP
Underboss
mulberry  Offline OP
M
Underboss
Originally Posted By: NE1020
Not to mention Philip Carlo, I tried reading Gaspipe be it was too painful

Yes, Philip Carlo is much worse than Volkman. The Gaspipe and Iceman books should be in the fiction section.

Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: mulberry] #787198
07/04/14 02:05 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: mulberry
The Gaspipe and Iceman books should be in the fiction section.

The science fiction section grin .

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: mulberry] #787199
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
I respected Pistone much, but after I read a positive comment of his about a book which tries to "rehabilitate" the corrupt FBI agent Paul Rico who sold himself to Barboza and Bulger, I don't know what to think about Pistone now.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: Dwalin2011] #787200
07/04/14 02:11 PM
07/04/14 02:11 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011
I respected Pistone much, but after I read a positive comment of his about a book which tries to "rehabilitate" the corrupt FBI agent Paul Rico who sold himself to Barboza and Bulger, I don't know what to think about Pistone now.

See what he has to say about rehabilitating wiseguys. What a hypocrite. But I guess when it's one of their own . . . rolleyes

And you guys know me. I couldn't give two shits about most wiseguys. 99 percent of them are leeches and lowlifes, and when you kill people you belong in prison. Period. But that kind of outright hypocrisy really sticks in my craw.

Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: mulberry] #787201
07/04/14 02:16 PM
07/04/14 02:16 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
Didn't Pistone also campaign and support FBI Agents Lynn Devecchio and John Connoly ?

Last edited by Beanshooter; 07/04/14 02:17 PM.
Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: Beanshooter] #787202
07/04/14 02:27 PM
07/04/14 02:27 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Didn't Pistone also campaign and support FBI Agents Lynn Devecchio and John Connoly ?

Of course. Like I said, when it's one of their own . . . . it's a different story rolleyes.

Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: Beanshooter] #787239
07/04/14 07:30 PM
07/04/14 07:30 PM
Westchester
Frankie_Five_Angels Offline
Made Member
Frankie_Five_Angels  Offline
Made Member
Westchester
Pistone is ridiculous with his backup of DeVecchio.... It's a fuc*#ng joke. Always has been...

"I'll give you undignified. Go fuck yourself. You, Phil... whoever. He's my fuckin' cousin."

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents"..
Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: pizzaboy] #787253
07/04/14 08:30 PM
07/04/14 08:30 PM
NY
B
blacksheep Offline
Underboss
blacksheep  Offline
B
Underboss
NY
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

I don't personally believe that Pistone was dirty. I don't know where that came from.

That was just a thought pizzaboy. I was recently listening to the phone call with lefty and that big thing about 250k that he said was bullshit and some implications that he was holding back money. Just made me think maybe he took the opportunity to fatten his pockets and keep it under the radar. Wasn't an accusation on my part, just a thought. I wasn't saying he was dirty, just bringing up the possibility based on conversations I heard and asking for opinions. Don't take it like I'm making definite claims

Make that coffee to go
Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: blacksheep] #787255
07/04/14 08:38 PM
07/04/14 08:38 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: blacksheep

I don't personally believe that Pistone was dirty. I don't know where that came from.

That was just a thought pizzaboy. I was recently listening to the phone call with lefty and that big thing about 250k that he said was bullshit and some implications that he was holding back money. Just made me think maybe he took the opportunity to fatten his pockets and keep it under the radar. Wasn't an accusation on my part, just a thought. I wasn't saying he was dirty, just bringing up the possibility based on conversations I heard and asking for opinions. Don't take it like I'm making definite claims

No problem, buddy. To be honest, I didn't even see the post until you just mentioned that you're the one who made it. That's why I said I don't know where it came from. And welcome to the board smile.

Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: mulberry] #787256
07/04/14 08:55 PM
07/04/14 08:55 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
I don't think Pistone was dirty. if you listen to tapes, it was about Tony Mirra saying that Brasco owed money and was holding it back, this was after Mirra lost a sitdown involving Donnie Brasco to be on record with him and not being on record with Benjamin "Lefty Guns" Ruggiero. It was just a way for Mirra to stir shit up when he lost that sitdown as he never put Brasco on record with him before he went to prison. Once Mirra got out and heard how much of a good earner Pistone was, Tony got mad and wanted Joe to be with him so he could get his hands on that money that Donnie was bringing in.

I agree with PB as Pistone embellious some of his claims. Agent Pistone did go through a hell of a lot more then Garcia did and Garcia was not around mobsters that were in their prime or as sharp as they use to be. Joe had to be extremely careful around the Bonanno's. Massino did not suspect Brasco as a rat, he was jealous of the fact that Donnie was proposed for membership before his brother-in-law Salvatore Vitale.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: mulberry] #787257
07/04/14 09:13 PM
07/04/14 09:13 PM
NY
B
blacksheep Offline
Underboss
blacksheep  Offline
B
Underboss
NY
I guess it's just funny if the official story is true. So Mirra, a feared ruthless gangster, was playing little child games because he was jealous. Like a 10 year old trying to get a classmate in trouble with his teachers out of bitterness. I guess these guys really are petty lowlives.

Make that coffee to go
Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #787258
07/04/14 09:18 PM
07/04/14 09:18 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
I agree with PB as Pistone embellious some of his claims. Agent Pistone did go through a hell of a lot more then Garcia did and Garcia was not around mobsters that were in their prime or as sharp as they use to be. Joe had to be extremely careful around the Bonanno's. Massino did not suspect Brasco as a rat, he was jealous of the fact that Donnie was proposed for membership before his brother-in-law Salvatore Vitale.

Oh, absolutely. You can't discount what Pistone accomplished just because he's an egotist and tends to overstate things.

As far as Garcia, he fooled ONE GUY. A desperate old man who, for all of his faults, would have seen right through that fat fuck if he was twenty years younger. He gets a lot of shit because of what happened when he got older, but the truth is, Greg was VERY guarded when he was younger. Garcia wouldn't have gotten within ten feet of him.

And like him or not, Pistone had half of Mulberry Street fooled. So there's no comparison between the two agents.

Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: mulberry] #787259
07/04/14 09:38 PM
07/04/14 09:38 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
I think most people will concede that Pistone did an amazing job.
He came in as a complete stranger,established a totally fictitious persona,became a trusted member of Sonny and Lefty's inner circle,and stayed alive for six years.

I would think that he would have been happy to have that as his legacy,but then fame reared it's ugly head. Now all of a sudden,he's Superagent,the Mafia's most hunted man,the destroyer of the Bonannos and most of Organized Crime.

Chalk it up to ego,movie promotion,talk show circuit,whatever.
Bottom line,he lost some of my respect.

Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: Lou_Para] #787260
07/04/14 09:44 PM
07/04/14 09:44 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Lou_Para
He came in as a complete stranger,established a totally fictitious persona,became a trusted member of Sonny and Lefty's inner circle,and stayed alive for six years.

I would think that he would have been happy to have that as his legacy,but then fame reared it's ugly head. Now all of a sudden,he's Superagent,the Mafia's most hunted man,the destroyer of the Bonannos and most of Organized Crime.

That's it in a nutshell, Lou smile.

Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: mulberry] #787261
07/04/14 09:51 PM
07/04/14 09:51 PM
NE1020 Offline
Made Member
NE1020  Offline
Made Member
There's a movie about Garcia in the works now. Maybe he'll be sporting a new pair of shades after that hits the silver screen.

Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: Lou_Para] #787263
07/04/14 10:55 PM
07/04/14 10:55 PM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Lou_Para

Overblown.

Pistone, his shades and the interviews are all wash-out after the fact, minor diversions.

The guy went deep undercover in the 70's in NYC. For 6 years. Got proposed. Thats the heart of it. The rest are details.

He did an amazing job.

Could he have handled his post undercover life better? Sure.

But that doesnt change anything.

Mirra and Sonny B got clipped. Lefty was pulled off the streets by the Feds due to his imminent clipping. All due to JP's infiltration.
So people who think he wasnt serious? Well I dont know what serious is...

MORGAN: Why didn't you fight him at the park if you wanted to? I'm not goin' now, I'm eatin' my snack.
CHUCKIE: Morgan, Let's go.
MORGAN: I'm serious Chuckie, I ain't goin'.
WILL: So don't go.
Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: pizzaboy] #787265
07/04/14 11:01 PM
07/04/14 11:01 PM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
As far as Garcia, he fooled ONE GUY. A desperate old man who, for all of his faults, would have seen right through that fat fuck if he was twenty years younger.

All respect to PB I do think this is simplifying what Garcia did.

He got in with Greg's crew. Hung out with ALOT of wiseguys. Hell, NOBODY in Gregs entourage called him out.

So yeah Greg in his younger days may have picked him up. But Nobody in Greg's crew said a word either.

So IMO Garcia fooled more than a dated ageing old gangster.

Was it 1970's NYC? No, but it was also more than one old dinasaur...

MORGAN: Why didn't you fight him at the park if you wanted to? I'm not goin' now, I'm eatin' my snack.
Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: NE1020] #787272
07/04/14 11:37 PM
07/04/14 11:37 PM
NY
B
blacksheep Offline
Underboss
blacksheep  Offline
B
Underboss
NY
Originally Posted By: NE1020
There's a movie about Garcia in the works now. Maybe he'll be sporting a new pair of shades after that hits the silver screen.

I can't imagine who would be playing him since Chris Farley is no longer with us..

Make that coffee to go
Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: mulberry] #787287
07/05/14 03:15 AM
07/05/14 03:15 AM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
I agree with you Sonny. GArcia was a like a professional undercover. He specialized in working undercover and he did it throughout his whole career on many, many cases for the Feds. I agree that no one in Depalmas crew or any other crew that GArcia met along the way ever questioned who he was. They did for Pistone. Massino warned everyone to stay away from Donnie Brasco. The fbi boss at the end of that 60 minute interview says that Garcia was one of their best agents in the fbi's history. You have to at least recognize that and give him his just due. MAybe it wasn't due to DePalma's age that he didn't see right through Garcia, maybe it was because Garcia was that good. Just a thought.

Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: Beanshooter] #787288
07/05/14 03:31 AM
07/05/14 03:31 AM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
GArcia was a like a professional undercover. He specialized in working undercover and he did it throughout his whole career on many, many cases for the Feds.

Speaking of this, how do undercover agents manage to work in more than one case? After he traps one organization and blows his cover to testify at the trial, shouldn't his reputation spread throughout the national underworld so he can't repeat the same trick anymore?

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: mulberry] #787289
07/05/14 03:41 AM
07/05/14 03:41 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

"they picked up Greg DePalma, age 73. He put on a dirty gray sweatshirt and used a cane to get to the car. In court, DePalma was told he faced 772 years in jail. "Oh, come on," he said, rolling his eyes as he was led away."

LOL

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: SonnyBlackstein] #787300
07/05/14 06:34 AM
07/05/14 06:34 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein
All respect to PB I do think this is simplifying what Garcia did.

When Greg got out in 2003 NO ONE wanted anything to do with him outside of Craig and his friends. The other Bronx skippers and local soldiers kept him at arm's length from the day he came home. He was a laughingstock at the time. I do give him credit for getting himself back in action, but the guys who mattered never looked at him the same way again (except for Tony, but there were exigent circumstances there that I'm not going into here).

He got in with Greg's crew. Hung out with ALOT of wiseguys. Hell, NOBODY in Gregs entourage called him out.

And again, who exactly was in Greg's crew in 2003 that didn't "call him out"? You got one thing right. It was an entourage at that point, it wasn't a crew anymore.

So IMO Garcia fooled more than a dated ageing old gangster.

Did he fool Mario? Did he fool Louie? Did he fool Nicky? Did he fool Angelo? Did he fool the guy who was babysitting Tore's crew at the time? Do you even know the guy who was babysitting Tore's crew at the time?

My point is, it wasn't just Greg who wasn't the same at that point. It was the fact that the crew that he worked with for twenty years wasn't there anymore (and like I said, the few guys who were kept him at arm's length). But from now on, I'll be sure to defer to you on all matters regarding the Bronx tongue grin .

I agree with you Sonny. GArcia was a like a professional undercover. He specialized in working undercover and he did it throughout his whole career on many, many cases for the Feds.

I don't disagree with you, Beanshooter. And I certainly don't hate cops. But what Garcia did here in the Bronx wasn't his finest hour.

Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: mulberry] #787346
07/05/14 11:05 AM
07/05/14 11:05 AM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
I guess thats whats called 'getting schooled'

Consider it retracted with Haste PB wink smile

Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: mulberry] #787347
07/05/14 11:08 AM
07/05/14 11:08 AM
V
vitovito Offline
Wiseguy
vitovito  Offline
V
Wiseguy
Pizzaboy.

How important was Robert Vaccaro? Whos crew was he with? ( or still is )

Garcia made him to be a bit of a tough guy!

Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: SonnyBlackstein] #787348
07/05/14 11:11 AM
07/05/14 11:11 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I guess thats whats called 'getting schooled'

Consider it retracted with Haste PB wink smile

You're my pal, Sonny. And you're opinion is as valid as anyone's, including my own. But this really isn't even a matter of opinion as far as I'm concerned. By 2003 that was the gang that couldn't pee straight (and I mean that literally, half of them had prostate cancer).

And you know me well enough by now to know that when I have strong feelings about something that it's for a reason and not unfounded speculation or wishful thinking. And this just happens to be one of those times smile .

Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: mulberry] #787349
07/05/14 11:20 AM
07/05/14 11:20 AM
NY
B
blacksheep Offline
Underboss
blacksheep  Offline
B
Underboss
NY
PB how the hell do you know all this shit? I get you're from there and all, but I lived in NY almost all my life and I can't even tell you my neighbors name. You gotta be the most interesting person here by a mile. You should write a book

Make that coffee to go
Re: biggest mob documentary bullshitter [Re: vitovito] #787352
07/05/14 11:24 AM
07/05/14 11:24 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: vitovito
How important was Robert Vaccaro?

He's as important as his last envelope. Just like the rest of them.

Whos crew was he with? ( or still is )

Funzi and Louie split that crew up. But Louie's practically retired, so Andy can probably make a claim until Richie comes home next month. Then again, I'll be shocked if Richie doesn't head to Florida and sit in the sun with his compare wink .

Garcia made him to be a bit of a tough guy!

That's his job. If he made them out to be a bunch of pussies, no one would buy the books. But Vaccaro isn't a punk, if that's what you mean.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull