GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 304 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,979
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,091
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
GoodFellas #786998
07/03/14 01:14 PM
07/03/14 01:14 PM
Brooklyn
Paddy_James Offline OP
Button
Paddy_James  Offline OP
Button
Brooklyn
It's 2 scenes that don't add up. We all know Henry Hill is half Italian half Irish, but what's not said in the movie how Jimmy Burke was fully Irish. In the scene where Bats gets whacked, he says," Get the two Irishmen a drink" and Jimmy or Henry replies, "Only one of us is Irish". Then later on before Tommy gets whacked, Henry and Jimmy are sitting in the diner. Henry narrated that they couldn't get made because they both have Irish blood. Was that on purpose or just a mistake?

Re: GoodFellas [Re: Paddy_James] #787002
07/03/14 01:31 PM
07/03/14 01:31 PM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
He actually said "get those two irish hoodlums a drink" smile . and what i took away from that scene when they said that theres only one irishmen here was that they thought Jimmy was the only real irishmen bc henry was half italian.

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort
Re: GoodFellas [Re: Paddy_James] #787047
07/03/14 04:39 PM
07/03/14 04:39 PM
Brooklyn
Paddy_James Offline OP
Button
Paddy_James  Offline OP
Button
Brooklyn
I see, but I think Henry tried to hide his Irish blood by saying that because he wants to be fully in the family. Jimmy too, but he's accepted that there's nothing he can do about it.

Re: GoodFellas [Re: Paddy_James] #787053
07/03/14 05:21 PM
07/03/14 05:21 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Well, what I found interesting was that the first thing we hear Henry say (voiceover) is "Ever since I was a little kid I always wanted to be a gangster." And he was. His half-Irish background didn't prevent him from being "with" Paulie, being accepted by Paulie and his crew, working for them, pulling jobs, etc. All that mattered to Paulie was that he (and even more so, Jimmy) was a good earner. No, he couldn't be made, but I never heard him say in the film that he was hiding his Irish blood or that he wanted to be a made guy. I think he accepted it.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: GoodFellas [Re: Paddy_James] #787083
07/03/14 09:36 PM
07/03/14 09:36 PM
Brooklyn
Paddy_James Offline OP
Button
Paddy_James  Offline OP
Button
Brooklyn
He never said it directly. Henry's father was a rough Irishman who Henry didnt want to become so he turned away from him and more to his mother's ancestry, Sicilian. I think you would want to be a made guy if you're in the mob, to have some sort of protection. Of course they both wanted to be made, but its possible that Henry didnt want to get made if it involved whacking someone. Jimmy was more welcome to it and did it before, in the movie and in real life. If Jimmy was Scilian, he would have been already made.

Re: GoodFellas [Re: Paddy_James] #798538
08/27/14 05:02 AM
08/27/14 05:02 AM
USA
BloodlettersandBadmen Offline
Made Member
BloodlettersandBadmen  Offline
Made Member
USA
Paul Vario was a mafioso, a capo, and later the consigliere of the Lucchese crime family. He also has the distinction of being Henry Hill’s teacher/father figure on the mobster way of life. A fictional character played by actor Paul Sorvino based on Vario was featured in the film Goodfellas.

http://youtu.be/JcFpQ6Ryaq0?list=PLQhDH_WZbs1N0jqZ9y9naMtgUfZ3VoVbo

Re: GoodFellas [Re: Paddy_James] #798544
08/27/14 05:51 AM
08/27/14 05:51 AM
Novi Sad,Serbia
alexandarns Offline
Underboss
alexandarns  Offline
Underboss
Novi Sad,Serbia
No paddy james you are wrong,i watched henry say on tv tha he didn't want to became a mede man.because made men answer for a lot of things..and the fact was that henry could never hide that he was irish..fist of all his last name was hill,but even if someone thought that was his nickname he grow up across the street from vario's cab stand so everyone probably knew his father.i don't want to belive that you can fool the mob that way..in fact there was a member of burke's crew who was a pr,and he told everyone he was italian even changed his name..but burke and vario found out and gave that guy a beating...so i think that henry was ok with his irish sicilian heritage

Re: GoodFellas [Re: Paddy_James] #833326
03/17/15 02:56 PM
03/17/15 02:56 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Random Goodfellas post...

Re: GoodFellas [Re: Paddy_James] #833464
03/18/15 04:08 PM
03/18/15 04:08 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

I watched this film a couple of weeks ago and this one is still my time favorite..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: GoodFellas [Re: DE NIRO] #833469
03/18/15 05:36 PM
03/18/15 05:36 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Has anyone heard about "The Goodfellas" reunion next month?

Check out this link HERE

Re: GoodFellas [Re: Paddy_James] #833474
03/18/15 07:47 PM
03/18/15 07:47 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
Cool SC.

NO Friggin way! I cannot believe it! Youtube put my video back on that a made for Goodfellas.
I made this awhile ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ex7vKwTI5I

Re: GoodFellas [Re: Paddy_James] #833558
03/19/15 11:37 AM
03/19/15 11:37 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
I just spoke to my friend Johnny who was in the movie. He knew about it but no one contacted him to be their for the q & a.

But he did tell me he is now the meeter and the greeter for Rao's in LA.

only the unloved hate
Re: GoodFellas [Re: Paddy_James] #833559
03/19/15 11:43 AM
03/19/15 11:43 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
Another actor from the movie is Paul Herman was also played beansy in the Sopranos.

He was the original meeter and greeter for cafe central restraunt when it was on Amsterdam ave and then it moved to Columbus ave.

He is now the meeter and greeter at an la restraunt named Ago something like that.

Hey can't make ends meet just being in movies anymore.

only the unloved hate
Re: GoodFellas [Re: Footreads] #839419
04/27/15 05:34 PM
04/27/15 05:34 PM
Cin City
cammybatts1 Offline
street crew boss
cammybatts1  Offline
street crew boss
Wiseguy
Cin City
@Dellacroce nicely put.that's how I view that situation as well. clap clap

you better have that 200 in my fuckin hands.
Re: GoodFellas [Re: Dellacroce] #839464
04/27/15 10:00 PM
04/27/15 10:00 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Dellacroce
He actually said "get those two irish hoodlums a drink" smile . and what i took away from that scene when they said that theres only one irishmen here was that they thought Jimmy was the only real irishmen bc henry was half italian.

Sorry I missed this awhile back, Delly. But that's right on the money. Now, this isn't politically correct. But then again, neither am I. But back then, the children borne of mixed marriages were often never fully accepted by either side. And believe it or not, there was a time in this country when Irish-Italian was considered a mixed marriage.

Now, in this day and age, with what's happened to this country, we've come to realize that we're MUCH better off with each other than with some of the newer immigrants who arrive here hating this country but here for the handouts.

It's almost hard to believe that forty or so years ago that the European immigrants in New York were still often at each other's throats. Fuck that. Give me the Jews, the Irish, the Poles, the Germans, the Italians, the Albanians (who arrived later, but they're honorary Italians in the Bronx lol), and the rest of the Europeans any day. We're much better off with each other than we are with a bunch of Middle Easterners who come here with hate in their hearts and the destruction of America on their agenda.

And this has nothing to do with Blacks or Latinos from the various Islands. I'm talking about European immigrants vs. Middle Eastern immigrants. There's no Goddamned comparison.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread. I'm wound up on coffee and can't sleep.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: GoodFellas [Re: pizzaboy] #839526
04/28/15 09:02 AM
04/28/15 09:02 AM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Funny things about the scene

-Billy's party favors and his 4 person guest list.

-The toupee that one of his guests seems to be wearing.

-Jimmy using the phrase "Top of the morning to you" to Billy when it's night time. (or is that a standard greeting among Irishmen good for all occasions and times of the day?)

Re: GoodFellas [Re: pizzaboy] #839567
04/28/15 12:53 PM
04/28/15 12:53 PM
Castellammare del Golfo
Malandrino Offline
Underboss
Malandrino  Offline
Underboss
Castellammare del Golfo
Henry was considered almost Italian in some ways (obviously he bullshits about many things) since he was Paulie's boy. This I believe though, I think Vario really did keep him very close, since there was no other way he'd have gotten away with half the shit he did. However, he was also a great earner at times, aside from the usual crap, he pulled two heists... gave Vario like 60,000$ only from Air France and then probably like a million dollars in cash after the Lufthansa deal.

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

It's almost hard to believe that forty or so years ago that the European immigrants in New York were still often at each other's throats. Fuck that. Give me the Jews, the Irish, the Poles, the Germans, the Italians, the Albanians (who arrived later, but they're honorary Italians in the Bronx lol), and the rest of the Europeans any day. We're much better off with each other than we are with a bunch of Middle Easterners who come here with hate in their hearts and the destruction of America on their agenda.

Lol, can't say I disagree buddy. Any day now we gonna hear about the first Albanian getting his button. lol

-I shot him a coupla' times.
-What's a couple?
-Hmm, more than a couple... Really I don't know the exact amount, maybe I shot him 10 times, 12 times?
-Maybe fifteen?
-Hmm, it could've been fifteen...

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso
Re: GoodFellas [Re: Malandrino] #840587
05/03/15 11:26 AM
05/03/15 11:26 AM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Pizza,

It was Blacks and Puerto Ricans that brought older White ethnic communities together in New York. In both cases, the new residents didn't technically qualify as immigrants..because the Blacks were coming from rural South and PRs are citizens. Throw some West Indians and Dominicans in there also, but mainly American Blacks and Latinos.

I bring the distinction about them not being immigrants because as non immigrants....they don't go through the vetting/screening process that actual immigrants go through to get here. Normally, because of that screening process....some of the most determined, resourceful, and motivated people are allowed to come here. Regardless of what social strata of their homeland they are from, they have the tools to thrive here.

The Americans migrating from one region to the other(rural south or PR to New York) don't go through that process, so while many of them are determined,motivated and resourceful and will succeed...the ne'er do wells aren't weeded out.

The behavior of the new groups brought the White ethnic groups together as they realized that they shared some core values that they didn't see in the newly arrived groups.Also after a generation..people were no longer of mother country nationality, but Americans of this or that background so kids went to school and dated each other and eventually marry.Even just between Irish, none of the animosity and hostility which exists back home along religious lines carries over here.

People blend into the proverbial melting pots.

I've always said and believed that New York hyphen Americans are more advanced and evolved than their fellow countrymen who landed in different parts of the country or even the region. Faster paced life and more mingling of different people in New York.
In a lot of parts of Jersey, the different White hyphen Americans are still at each other's throats...and there are towns and sections of towns that are exclusively (insert country of origin). On several occasions..in social outings... I've had White people tell me straight up how they HATE another White ethnic group. First time it happened, I'm thinking wow...what do I say?...and if he feels this way about other Whites..I'd better get the F out of here before they start burning crosses. smile Whites shitting on other Whites in front of Black guy let's you know that they REALLY don't like the other group.
It's happened enough that I know how to react. I use the classic Seinfeld line and it always gets me off the hook "Yeah, and don't get me started about the Blacks and the Jews". They get the reference,they laugh and change the subject. When the Bridge Gate story broke and the Christie guy's email read "time for trouble for that little Serb"...that's typical Jersey stuff.

Re: GoodFellas [Re: Paddy_James] #860463
09/18/15 07:50 PM
09/18/15 07:50 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: GoodFellas [Re: SC] #868007
11/27/15 08:08 AM
11/27/15 08:08 AM
D
DonMega1888 Offline
Underboss
DonMega1888  Offline
D
Underboss
Originally Posted By: SC
Has anyone heard about "The Goodfellas" reunion next month?

Check out this link HERE

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull