GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Lou_Para), 283 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,337
Posts1,058,852
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How do you define being 1/2 Italian for induction? #785970
06/25/14 10:48 PM
06/25/14 10:48 PM
M
mldetroit Offline OP
Made Member
mldetroit  Offline OP
M
Made Member
According to the mob's rules for membership, you must be at least half Italian (on your father's side). However, they really seem to stretch the definition of being half Italian. To most people being half Italian means one of your parents was born in Italy, but this does not seem to be the case. Look at this example:

Example 1) My father was born in the United States. My grandfather was born in the United States. My great-grandfather was also born in the United States. My great-great-grandfather was born in Italy. (this is just a hypothetical example, but according to the rules a man with this lineage could be made)

To most people the above example does not make you truly Italian or even half Italian. But according to the rules, a guy with lineage as in example 1 could be made, correct? (Take Junior Gotti - he was "more" Italian than the guy in example 1 but neither of his parents was born in Italy)

Re: How do you define being 1/2 Italian for induction? [Re: mldetroit] #785978
06/26/14 02:12 AM
06/26/14 02:12 AM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: mldetroit
According to the mob's rules for membership, you must be at least half Italian (on your father's side). However, they really seem to stretch the definition of being half Italian. To most people being half Italian means one of your parents was born in Italy, but this does not seem to be the case. Look at this example:

Example 1) My father was born in the United States. My grandfather was born in the United States. My great-grandfather was also born in the United States. My great-great-grandfather was born in Italy. (this is just a hypothetical example, but according to the rules a man with this lineage could be made)

To most people the above example does not make you truly Italian or even half Italian. But according to the rules, a guy with lineage as in example 1 could be made, correct? (Take Junior Gotti - he was "more" Italian than the guy in example 1 but neither of his parents was born in Italy)

Ive seen you post this before and ive never meet anyone who thinks that. What generation you are really has nothing to do with what percent italian you are. Take me for example, im irish on my mothers side, but on my fathers side both of my grandparents are from sicily, that makes me half italian. My father being born in the US has nothing to do with it.

Anyway the rule about qualifying for membership if your half italian was back in the 90s, supposedly they changed it back to that you have to be 100% italian "so they can trace all your roots back to the old country" haha.

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort
Re: How do you define being 1/2 Italian for induction? [Re: mldetroit] #785992
06/26/14 04:44 AM
06/26/14 04:44 AM
NE1020 Offline
Made Member
NE1020  Offline
Made Member
It makes me wonder if Henry Hill would have been made later on (if he didn't get caught dealing and of course turn government witness) considering he was half sicilian. He hasn't got an Italian surname but hey look at Andrew Campos.

Re: How do you define being 1/2 Italian for induction? [Re: mldetroit] #786007
06/26/14 05:40 AM
06/26/14 05:40 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

I had a friend who said he was half Irish, half English and half Jamaican.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: How do you define being 1/2 Italian for induction? [Re: Dellacroce] #786015
06/26/14 05:58 AM
06/26/14 05:58 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Dellacroce

Ive seen you post this before and ive never meet anyone who thinks that. What generation you are really has nothing to do with what percent italian you are. Take me for example, im irish on my mothers side, but on my fathers side both of my grandparents are from sicily, that makes me half italian. My father being born in the US has nothing to do with it.

Anyway the rule about qualifying for membership if your half italian was back in the 90s, supposedly they changed it back to that you have to be 100% italian "so they can trace all your roots back to the old country" haha.

Yeah, really. You're just not going to get many first and second generation Italian Americans anymore. The changes in the immigration laws guarantee that.

And Delly's right. It's all moot anyway. They went back to the 100& rule some time ago, and it looks like it will stay that way. For the time being, anyway.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: How do you define being 1/2 Italian for induction? [Re: mldetroit] #786029
06/26/14 06:57 AM
06/26/14 06:57 AM
Great Britain
British Offline
Underboss
British  Offline
Underboss
Great Britain
Or being able speak Italian

British is best....
Re: How do you define being 1/2 Italian for induction? [Re: mldetroit] #786071
06/26/14 11:31 AM
06/26/14 11:31 AM
M
mldetroit Offline OP
Made Member
mldetroit  Offline OP
M
Made Member
Thanks Dellacroce - you cleared that up for me. I didn't really understand the definition of Italian on your father's side...anyways I got it now. Thanks!

Re: How do you define being 1/2 Italian for induction? [Re: mldetroit] #786072
06/26/14 11:35 AM
06/26/14 11:35 AM
M
mldetroit Offline OP
Made Member
mldetroit  Offline OP
M
Made Member
Here's another question. Hopefully you won't think this is stupid. Let's say all four of my grandparents are from India. All four of them moved to Italy and each had a child (Mario and Gina). Mario and Gina then married and emigrated to the United States. Mario and Gina are my parents. Can I be made?

Re: How do you define being 1/2 Italian for induction? [Re: mldetroit] #786074
06/26/14 11:37 AM
06/26/14 11:37 AM
M
mldetroit Offline OP
Made Member
mldetroit  Offline OP
M
Made Member
An Addition To What's Above: When Mario and Gino were born in Italy they automatically became Italian citizens. Therefore, by definition, they are Italian.

Re: How do you define being 1/2 Italian for induction? [Re: mldetroit] #786077
06/26/14 11:42 AM
06/26/14 11:42 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

For the record, our father only having to be Italian appears to have been the case in New York from the mid-1980's through the 1990's. Apparently, in the early 2000's, the rule was changed back to having to be full Italian. That's officially speaking. Of course, before, during, and after there were guys who still got made despite not being 100%.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: How do you define being 1/2 Italian for induction? [Re: mldetroit] #786081
06/26/14 11:46 AM
06/26/14 11:46 AM
M
mldetroit Offline OP
Made Member
mldetroit  Offline OP
M
Made Member
It seems like once you lower the rule for induction from 100% Italian to 50% Italian, it would be really hard to go back. Some guys are always going to want to make their sons and make other guys that are great earners that aren't really 100%.

Re: How do you define being 1/2 Italian for induction? [Re: mldetroit] #786173
06/26/14 08:44 PM
06/26/14 08:44 PM
M
mulberry Offline
Underboss
mulberry  Offline
M
Underboss
By Italian they mean ethnic Italians. We're not dealing with the immigration service here

Re: How do you define being 1/2 Italian for induction? [Re: mldetroit] #786174
06/26/14 09:07 PM
06/26/14 09:07 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
"I had a friend who said he was half Irish, half English and half Jamaican."

Funny smile

I am only half Italian on my mothers side. I guess that save me from a life of crime.

only the unloved hate
Re: How do you define being 1/2 Italian for induction? [Re: mldetroit] #786176
06/26/14 09:13 PM
H
HuronSocialAthletic Offline
Underboss
HuronSocialAthletic  Offline
H
Underboss
Lol bro these guys are largely illiterate racists who can barely speak a lick of Italian themselves. They're European backwash.

You got an Italian last name, you look somewhat Mediterranean, you came up in Bay Ridge/Melrose Park/Collinwood/(insert Italian American enclave here), you're in. That's how the shit works.

Re: How do you define being 1/2 Italian for induct [Re: mldetroit] #786177
H
HuronSocialAthletic Offline
Underboss
HuronSocialAthletic  Offline
H
Underboss

Last edited by HuronSocialAthletic; 06/26/14 09:14 PM.
Re: How do you define being 1/2 Italian for induct [Re: mldetroit] #786189
06/26/14 11:07 PM
06/26/14 11:07 PM
M
mldetroit Offline OP
Made Member
mldetroit  Offline OP
M
Made Member
That's funny Huron. But, seems accurate at the same time.

Re: How do you define being 1/2 Italian for induction? [Re: Footreads] #786224
06/27/14 06:02 AM
06/27/14 06:02 AM
A treehouse w hamburgers
Hamilton Offline
Made Member
Hamilton  Offline
Made Member
A treehouse w hamburgers
Originally Posted By: Footreads
"I had a friend who said he was half Irish, half English and half Jamaican."

Funny smile

I am only half Italian on my mothers side. I guess that save me from a life of crime.

panic That won't save you son, you must save yourself!

"Asking us questions...harass and arrest us ..saying we eat pieces of shiet like u for breakfast ...Huh ya'll eat pieces of shiet..? whats the basis we ain't going no where.. we got suits n cases.. trunk full of coke rental car from avis only now clemente can save us,, I told said solly I acted da fool I'll be gone till November I got bodies too move....
I put pebbles on my hood like Danny Greene here comes the crab n his queen yes barbara actin da fool mess with a pyscho u kno its time to move.

Re: How do you define being 1/2 Italian for induction? [Re: mldetroit] #787758
07/07/14 03:23 PM
07/07/14 03:23 PM
D
DoctorTwink Offline
Button
DoctorTwink  Offline
D
Button
The whole idea that you have to be "fully Italian"/"100% Italian", or have an Italian last name or have an Italian heritage on your father's side in order to be made or join is a myth that people who know nothing love to spread around. The myth of this is perpetuated by myths, and movies and TV shows about the mob that are not based on reality at all.

When mafia members from Sicily, Calabria, and other parts of Italy first immigrated here to the states over a century ago yes you did have to be completely Italian. But it was not that difficult to tell who was Italian and who was not, and there were very few if any first generation Italian-Americans then since they were very young or just being born.

However the whole "you must be completely 100% Italian" in order to join the mob or be made has not applied for over a century, and the idea it does is a myth perpetuated by the media and people who are in the mob who believe the BS history they hear that's not accurate. Even in NYC with the five families you do not have to be completely Italian to join, and it has been this way since the 60s. They never have actually "changed it back". People who claim that they have or that you must be 100% Italian to join believe misinformation and myths about the mob that are not true that get spread around. The stuff the rats and fed reports claim is not necessarily true either.

If they restricted membership to people who were only completely Italian that is Italian on both their father and mother's sides going back to their great-grandparents, or even further back nobody in the United States would be able to join, and not everyone in Italy now would be able to join either.

You do have to have an Italian heritage but it can be on either your mother or father's side. Yes someone who is 1/4th or 1/8th Italian, or even 1/2 Italian can join as long as they are completely Caucasian, and look Italian.

Yes some people do try to get their son, grandson, or great-grandson to join. It's like this in Italy too. They do this despite how their sons or other male relatives are not completely Italian and if the son or other male relative wants to join they easily can despite being 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8 Italian. But if the son is biracial or mixed race such as being Italian, and Asian, Italian and Hispanic, or Italian and Black they do not do this as there's no point and their relative will not be accepted into the business no matter how much they earn or who they are related to.

They would never let someone who is fully, half, or part Asian/Indian, or black, and part Caucasian Italian join or be made. Like that actor Giancarlo Esposito on breaking bad who played the Chilean drug dealer he's Italian and black; but looks black or mixed race. There are also a lot of illegal immigrants from various African countries in Italy now, and some become citizens and marry Italian people and they are not allowed in. The same goes for children or grandchildren of people from various Asian and even European countries who emigrate to Italy, marry an Italian woman or man and do not have a heritage that is actually Italian.

Re: How do you define being 1/2 Italian for induction? [Re: mldetroit] #787765
07/07/14 03:33 PM
07/07/14 03:33 PM
D
DoctorTwink Offline
Button
DoctorTwink  Offline
D
Button
Originally Posted By: HuronSocialAthletic
Lol bro these guys are largely illiterate racists who can barely speak a lick of Italian themselves. They're European backwash.

You look somewhat Mediterranean, you came up in Bay Ridge/Melrose Park/Collinwood/(insert Italian American enclave here), you're in. That's how the shit works.

Well said HuronSocial. You do not even have to have an Italian last name. But yeah you do have to have an Italian heritage somehow from either your mother or dad, grandmother/grandfather, or great-grandmother/great-grandfather.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull