GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 218 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,949
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,344
Posts1,058,970
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Uncle Junior's "Varsity Athlete" Comments #783549
06/12/14 06:48 PM
06/12/14 06:48 PM
MrWilliams Offline OP
Button
MrWilliams  Offline OP
Button
Sometime after the death of Carmine Sr. on the Sopranos, Junior started to fixate on the athletic potential of others.

In particular at times he would make comments such as "He never had the makings of a varsity athlete". Junior would make these remarks at awkward times such as during a sit down with Carmine Jr.'s supporters or at dinner with Tony which angered the latter greatly.

What was with Junior and this "Varsity Athlete" obsession? I figured it was part of the many signs that he was gradually developing alzheimer's/dementia. Esp. since these remarks made little sense in their context at least to me. But then again it also seemed to be playing on Tony's insecurities.

Can anyone shine any light on this?

Re: Uncle Junior's "Varsity Athlete" Comments [Re: MrWilliams] #783555
06/12/14 07:39 PM
06/12/14 07:39 PM
N
NinoBrown Offline
Wiseguy
NinoBrown  Offline
N
Wiseguy
This is where Uncle Junior's Dementia started to come into play and ultimately led to the shooting of Tony in Season 6. I took it as Junior representing the last of the "Old School" Mobsters, and like all things, will fade into oblivion. Dementia patients can remember thoughts and events from 50+ years ago with absolute clarity, but cannot remember the last 10 words you spoke to them. Junior's only constant memory of Tony seemed to stem from a disappointment.

As for the "Varsity Athlete" comment and why it cut so deep, it was the idea of coming up short and being a disappointment/failure and not "special". With Junior and his HS Coach, they had high hopes for Tony and he let them down in his eyes. Now he has a son, AJ who could have been a varsity athlete, but had serious panic attacks, thus ending any chance at ball.

2 generations of "failures" would be pretty heavy for him to carry around like that.

Re: Uncle Junior's "Varsity Athlete" Comments [Re: MrWilliams] #786865
07/02/14 11:40 AM
07/02/14 11:40 AM
Scottsdale
Its_da_Jackeeettttttt Offline
Underboss
Its_da_Jackeeettttttt  Offline
Underboss
Scottsdale
Tony alluded to it in the Pilot episode:

Tony Soprano – Uncle Junior’s my father’s brother. Good guy. Just gettin’ old. Cranky. Used to take me to Yankee games when I was a kid. I love my uncle. At the same time, when I was young, he told my girl cousins I would never be a varsity athlete, and frankly, that was a tremendous blow to my self-esteem.

Re: Uncle Junior's "Varsity Athlete" Comments [Re: NinoBrown] #950200
08/15/18 05:59 AM
08/15/18 05:59 AM
Quiet_Doms Offline
Capo
Quiet_Doms  Offline
Capo
Originally Posted by NinoBrown
This is where Uncle Junior's Dementia started to come into play and ultimately led to the shooting of Tony in Season 6. I took it as Junior representing the last of the "Old School" Mobsters, and like all things, will fade into oblivion. Dementia patients can remember thoughts and events from 50+ years ago with absolute clarity, but cannot remember the last 10 words you spoke to them. Junior's only constant memory of Tony seemed to stem from a disappointment.

As for the "Varsity Athlete" comment and why it cut so deep, it was the idea of coming up short and being a disappointment/failure and not "special". With Junior and his HS Coach, they had high hopes for Tony and he let them down in his eyes. Now he has a son, AJ who could have been a varsity athlete, but had serious panic attacks, thus ending any chance at ball.

2 generations of "failures" would be pretty heavy for him to carry around like that.

Some say dementia but I think Junior faked his mental illness to an extent.

Last edited by Quiet_Doms; 08/15/18 06:00 AM.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull