GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 360 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,510
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,429
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: vitovito] #783254
06/11/14 09:18 AM
06/11/14 09:18 AM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss
always liked debi going back to the late 80's...a good photographer I like named ricky powell shot her, always thought she was the epitome of queens (like i would know living in utopian connecticut rolleyes) ...i like her show but that husband is soooo fucking annoying...deeebrraaaaa in that voice...ugh

but ya, i like debi, always have

When Interpol?
Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: NickyEyes1] #783273
06/11/14 10:33 AM
06/11/14 10:33 AM
Texas
TonyG Offline
Capo
TonyG  Offline
Capo
Texas
Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1
Yeah TonyG the hill is fantastic. I hate everything about St. Louis except The Hill lol . So many great restaurants and bakeries and has probably looked the same as it did 50 years ago. You'd never think out of all the cities, St. Louis would have the best Little Italy!

I don't know if its the best Little Italy, but it certainly has not changed. They have a good, strong neighborhood association that has been vigilant about retaining its character and traditions. Several restaurants still have Italian language (and English) menus. We get mail orders from Vivianno's (an old, and very good Italian grocery http://www.shopviviano.com/) since we can find the good, authentic stuff here in Texas.

LOL Nicky, why do you hate everything about St Lou except the Hill? There are other parts of the city that are fantastic - cental west end, the park, soulard, etc.

Best way to catch the smart ones? Get an idiot working for them.
Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: LuanKuci] #783274
06/11/14 10:35 AM
06/11/14 10:35 AM
Texas
TonyG Offline
Capo
TonyG  Offline
Capo
Texas
Originally Posted By: LuanKuci

@ TonyG

interesting that you typed few new immigrants…you meant italians?
New ones?
you don't say...
Yup, I mean new, Italian immigrants. In recent years, St Lou has had a bunch of Bosnian immigrants (of all places). I think I read somewhere the Bosnians now number over 150,000 and are becoming a political force in the city.

Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: TonyG] #783275
06/11/14 10:36 AM
06/11/14 10:36 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: TonyG
LOL Nicky, why do you hate everything about St Lou except the Hill? There are other parts of the city that are fantastic - cental west end, the park, soulard, etc.

Geez, Tony. An Irish guy in Texas? That's two culinary strikes against you before you even get up to bat tongue grin.

You know I'm kidding lol.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: Mikey_Sunset] #783277
06/11/14 10:40 AM
06/11/14 10:40 AM
San Francisco
Benedetto Offline
Wiseguy
Benedetto  Offline
Wiseguy
San Francisco
Originally Posted By: Mikey_Sunset
Originally Posted By: Benedetto
We in SF have our own area of the city called North Beach. Lots of history in this Italian neighborhood. Joe DiMaggio grew up here. My grandfather played ball with him as kids. DiMaggio married Marilyn Monroe at Saints Peter and Paul church.

Believe it or not we had our fare share of wise guys out here. Joe "The Animal" Barboza was shot down on the San Francisco streets in 1976. Jimmy "The Weasel" Fratianno spent time here.

These days, like most old Italian neighborhoods, restaurants cater to the tourists and the folks who live in the area are well to do or young hipsters. My Nonno learned to speak English in Washington square park, my grandparents wedding cake was made at Victoria Pastry 63 years ago. History.

Benedetto, I missed your post earlier. Yeah North Beach has got a tourist thing going on, has for years as you know. There's still Molinari's and even though they classed up the place the Duggans have done a good job with the re-opened Joes. I loved the one in the TL - it was either there or Johns Grill before shows at the Warfield - hell, Joes was open late so sometimes we'd go AFTER a show. Now they're gonna redo Westlake Joes - I hope they keep the Steak ala Bruno and the Cascade Room. I'm debating on the fair - it would be fun on a nice day but do I really wanna deal with techies and lines to places I can just walk into on Tuesday?

Hey Mikey, nice to see someone from my area on here. Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy strolling along Columbus Ave. Molinari's is great. The clam pizza at Tony's Pizza Napoletana is always a homerun. I also like what they did with Joe's right across the street. Giordano Brothers does a nice take on the famous Primanti Brothers sandwich. The owners of the place are originally from Pittsburgh and are huge Steelers fans. Lots of little dive bars I enjoy popping into but when Friday and Saturday night comes around, I stay away from this neighborhood the majority of the time. The streets are packed with drunk 20 something year olds. If anyone plans to visit, you will get a much more enjoyable experience during the day and if you want to have an evening dinner I really suggest you do it on a weekday.

Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: pizzaboy] #783289
06/11/14 11:02 AM
06/11/14 11:02 AM
Texas
TonyG Offline
Capo
TonyG  Offline
Capo
Texas
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Geez, Tony. An Irish guy in Texas? That's two culinary strikes against you before you even get up to bat tongue grin.

You know I'm kidding lol.

Hahaha!! All good PB. In my opinion, the Italians taught the world the fine art of cuisine. The Irish taught the world how to make alcohol and consume it. I think we can both agree the 2 go very well together.

Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: TonyG] #783291
06/11/14 11:03 AM
06/11/14 11:03 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
In my opinion, the Italians taught the world the fine art of cuisine. The Irish taught the world how to make alcohol and consume it. I think we can both agree the 2 go very well together.

Can't live without either one of them grin .

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: TonyG] #783295
06/11/14 11:13 AM
06/11/14 11:13 AM
Bamboo Lounge
NickyEyes1 Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
NickyEyes1  Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
Underboss
Bamboo Lounge
Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1
Yeah TonyG the hill is fantastic. I hate everything about St. Louis except The Hill lol . So many great restaurants and bakeries and has probably looked the same as it did 50 years ago. You'd never think out of all the cities, St. Louis would have the best Little Italy!

I don't know if its the best Little Italy, but it certainly has not changed. They have a good, strong neighborhood association that has been vigilant about retaining its character and traditions. Several restaurants still have Italian language (and English) menus. We get mail orders from Vivianno's (an old, and very good Italian grocery http://www.shopviviano.com/) since we can find the good, authentic stuff here in Texas.

lol Yeah I agree, there's a couple other nice spots, like the area around the zoo (that might be one of the places you mentioned). But since I'm from Chicago, I hate all of the St Louis sports teams and because of that, I hate the city too lol

Last edited by NickyEyes1; 06/11/14 11:15 AM.
Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: vitovito] #783303
06/11/14 11:27 AM
06/11/14 11:27 AM
Texas
TonyG Offline
Capo
TonyG  Offline
Capo
Texas
Now I understand Nicky. Not that you need a reminder, but...

21 EVENTS THAT HAVE OCCURRED SINCE THE CHICAGO CUBS WON THEIR LAST WORLD SERIES

Both radio and TV were invented
Fourteen teams were added to Major League Baseball
George Burns celebrated his 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th, 70th, 80th, 90th and 100th birthdays
Haley's comet passed Earth, twice
Harry Caray was born, and died
The NBA, NHL and NFL were formed, and Chicago teams won championships in each league
The US fought in World War I, World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Persian Gulf War, Iraq War, Afghanistan War
Man landed on the moon
Sixteen US presidents were elected
Eleven amendments added to the Constitution
Prohibition was created and repealed
The Titanic was built, set sail, sank, and was re discovered
Wrigley Field was built and becomes the oldest park in the National League
Flag poles were erected on Wrigley Field roof to hold all of the team's future World Series pennants, which have since rusted and been taken down
A combination of 40 Summer and Winter Olympics have been held
Thirteen baseball players have won the Triple Crown
Swing music, bell-bottoms, and disco came in style, went out of style and came back in style
The Chicago White Sox, Cleveland Indians, Boston Red Sox and Florida Marlins have all won the World Series; what next, the Nationals?!?
The Cubs played almost 15,000 regular-season games, losing the majority of them
Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Oklahoma and New Mexico were admitted to the Union
The St Louis Cardinals have been to the World Series 19 times, winning 11 championships.

Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: TonyG] #783308
06/11/14 11:33 AM
06/11/14 11:33 AM
San Francisco
Benedetto Offline
Wiseguy
Benedetto  Offline
Wiseguy
San Francisco
Ouch! lol I have a buddy who is a Cubs fan. You know what he says before the first game of the season? "well, there's always next year." lol

Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: vitovito] #783312
06/11/14 11:39 AM
06/11/14 11:39 AM
Bamboo Lounge
NickyEyes1 Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
NickyEyes1  Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
Underboss
Bamboo Lounge
lol no offense taken! I'm a Sox fan!

Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: TonyG] #783313
06/11/14 11:40 AM
06/11/14 11:40 AM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Oklahoma and New Mexico were admitted to the Union

Youch. Kinda, says it all.

@ TonyG /me chuckles

(Though Technically LN is a Sox fan)

MORGAN: Why didn't you fight him at the park if you wanted to? I'm not goin' now, I'm eatin' my snack.
CHUCKIE: Morgan, Let's go.
MORGAN: I'm serious Chuckie, I ain't goin'.
WILL: So don't go.
Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: pizzaboy] #783352
06/11/14 01:36 PM
06/11/14 01:36 PM
J
jonnynonos Offline
Underboss
jonnynonos  Offline
J
Underboss
In my opinion, the Italians taught the world the fine art of cuisine. The Irish taught the world how to make alcohol and consume it. I think we can both agree the 2 go very well together.

Do you still live in the city PB?

Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: jonnynonos] #783354
06/11/14 01:44 PM
06/11/14 01:44 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: jonnynonos

Do you still live in the city PB?

Yes, we live in the Throggs Neck/Country Club section of the Bronx. But today we also live in Delray Beach, Florida for three or four months a year, depending on the weather, family, etc.

Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: Benedetto] #783405
06/11/14 05:26 PM
06/11/14 05:26 PM
California
M
Mikey_Sunset Offline
Capo
Mikey_Sunset  Offline
M
Capo
California
Weeknights are the time to go, I'll second that. The area was better when the Stone, the Mab, On Broadway etc... were open. Not as many out of towners just looking to get as drunk as possible and start fights after being thrown out of every Deja-Vu joint.
I still like having a drink at Gino & Carlos, the Columbus, Specs and Tony Niks. Then some Golden Boy to cap off the night!

Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: vitovito] #783409
06/11/14 06:10 PM
06/11/14 06:10 PM
San Francisco
Benedetto Offline
Wiseguy
Benedetto  Offline
Wiseguy
San Francisco
Yes! Gino & Carlos is my go to also. Sometimes Grant & Green, Columbus Café is another spot I like too. Planning on going to the North Beach Festival this weekend? Tons of jerk offs but I still succeed in having a good time.

Last edited by Benedetto; 06/11/14 06:13 PM.
Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: vitovito] #783431
06/11/14 09:30 PM
06/11/14 09:30 PM
California
M
Mikey_Sunset Offline
Capo
Mikey_Sunset  Offline
M
Capo
California
I might go by there Sunday if I've got time. I'm supposed to work this weekend. However I will not miss this...

http://www.sfiacfesta.com/

Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: vitovito] #783436
06/11/14 11:30 PM
06/11/14 11:30 PM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
I got the joke PB
I was just replying...with poor humor...
I guess that I better catch up with Larry David

Even though tuscany is indeed north of rome it's still considered central italy.
it's basically the northernmost region of central italy, along with marche.

Yes, any American that goes to Milan is in for a treat: overpriced bogus and plenty of friendly gypsies.

I wrote all about it in another thread.

Don't you even get me started with Laurino...or I'm gonna get myself banned

What a self-hating, radical chic, closed minded, racist, elitist, lazy researcher she is

If she would have gone into therapy instead of writing "books" she'd be better off

The fact that people in the academia freakin love her shows how biased and sectarian self-proclaimed "incellectuals" actually are.

Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: Mikey_Sunset] #783450
06/12/14 05:49 AM
06/12/14 05:49 AM
San Francisco
Benedetto Offline
Wiseguy
Benedetto  Offline
Wiseguy
San Francisco
Originally Posted By: Mikey_Sunset
I might go by there Sunday if I've got time. I'm supposed to work this weekend. However I will not miss this...

http://www.sfiacfesta.com/

Marking that one on my calendar. We'll be there.

Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: LuanKuci] #783453
06/12/14 05:59 AM
06/12/14 05:59 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: LuanKuci
I got the joke PB
I was just replying...with poor humor...
I guess that I better catch up with Larry David

Even though tuscany is indeed north of rome it's still considered central italy.
it's basically the northernmost region of central italy, along with marche.

Yes, any American that goes to Milan is in for a treat: overpriced bogus and plenty of friendly gypsies.

I wrote all about it in another thread.

Don't you even get me started with Laurino...or I'm gonna get myself banned

What a self-hating, radical chic, closed minded, racist, elitist, lazy researcher she is

If she would have gone into therapy instead of writing "books" she'd be better off

The fact that people in the academia freakin love her shows how biased and sectarian self-proclaimed "incellectuals" actually are.

All good, LK smile.

Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: HuronSocialAthletic] #783849
06/14/14 10:46 AM
06/14/14 10:46 AM
S
ScottD Offline
Made Member
ScottD  Offline
S
Made Member
Originally Posted By: HuronSocialAthletic
Honestly fucking pathetic & disgraceful what is happening to This country, especially in big cultural metropolises like NY, Chi, Boston, SF. Shameful.

Huh? The reason they are cultural metropolises is because things DO change. You need the churn and influx and out migration.

NY is an alpha world city, with 42 major skyscraper projects ongoing or in design right now, the highest population ever, and one of the lowest crime rates per capita of any US City. How is that worse than 1990 New York? Because there are less Italians? Blame the people that moved away then.

It can't stay the same forever. If a city does not change it becomes Detroit. That is disgraceful.

Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: vitovito] #783863
06/14/14 11:33 AM
06/14/14 11:33 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: vitovito] #784436
06/18/14 04:24 AM
06/18/14 04:24 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss

Little Italy is on the brink of extinction

By Kate Briquelet

March 30, 2014 | 2:52am

Little Italy is on the brink of extinction
A piece of New York City history is bidding arrivederci.

Rising rents and changing demographics have driven Little Italy to the verge of extinction. Once a teeming neighborhood stretching 50 square blocks, it now barely covers three blocks of Mulberry Street — and even that strip is under threat.

“You can’t rebuild Little Italy,” said Robert Ianniello Jr., owner of the famed Umbertos Clam House. “If we go away, it will never be here again. You can’t build an Olive Garden and say it’s Little Italy.”

Ianniello is battling a rent increase from a new landlord who bought the building last month for $17.5 million. He recently got a rent bill for $34,000 a month — more than double what he used to pay.

“It’s a landlord problem,” said Ianniello, who heads the Little Italy Merchants Association. “They think this is Fifth Avenue.”

Eight eateries have shut down in the past year.

Il Fornaio, once owned by Gambino mobster Joseph Corrao, remains empty.

Friends gather to talk at the Caffe Bella Napoli on Mulberry Street, Little Italy, the Italian community of New York City in 1944.
Giovanna’s shuttered after a six-year run when the landlord doubled the rent. Ads show the owner wants $32,000 monthly for the space.

A block south, at Positano Ristorante, a legal notice in the window shows the city marshal took over the storefront on behalf of the landlord in January.

At S.P.Q.R., the monthly rent jumped to more than $50,000 and the eatery was forced to close. The space currently is home to a year-round Christmas shop.

One Mulberry Street apartment building is converting the ground floor into retail, while a hotel is being constructed on Grand Street next to the now-shuttered Florio’s restaurant.

But it’s not just development that’s pressuring Little Italy. Cultural conflicts are also cutting it down to size.

In 2011, Nolita boutiques demanded the city remove three blocks from the famous Feast of San Gennaro to keep revelers’ “greasy hands” from besmirching their $300 frocks.
The shopkeepers’ request had festival boosters hotter than a plate of baked ziti. More than 100 protesters packed a community board meeting.

“We had Italians from all over writing to the mayor,” said John Fratta, whose grandfather co-founded the annual festival in 1926. “It’s something that’s very sacred . . . You’ll see venom if you try to change it or stop it.”

Italian immigration surged in the late 19th century. By the early 1900s, nearly 10,000 Italians lived in the neighborhood, which once spanned roughly from Lafayette Street to the Bowery and from Kenmare to Canal streets.

Many residents flocked to the outer boroughs after World War II, and an influx of Chinese immigrants moved in, blurring the lines between Chinatown and Little Italy.

Today Little Italy’s heart is three blocks of Mulberry Street between Canal and Broome streets.

Emelise Aleandri, an author on Italian history and theater, said that the neighborhood remains a cultural touchstone for Italian Americans across the country — and that it would be a huge loss if it disappeared.

“Right now, there is just enough of a population to keep up traditions,” Aleandri explained. “But it’s going to be more difficult to keep the area Italian if the merchants and businesses leave.”

only the unloved hate
Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: vitovito] #784437
06/18/14 04:32 AM
06/18/14 04:32 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
My wife just told me this our old church Mt.Carmel on a Hun 14 in east Harlem has masses in Polish now. What is this world comming to?

only the unloved hate
Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: vitovito] #784462
06/18/14 07:33 AM
06/18/14 07:33 AM
116th_street Offline
Wiseguy
116th_street  Offline
Wiseguy
I sent you a pm, footreads:)

Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: Footreads] #784467
06/18/14 07:42 AM
06/18/14 07:42 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Footreads
My wife just told me this our old church Mt.Carmel on a Hun 14 in east Harlem has masses in Polish now. What is this world comming to?

There are Spanish masses at Mount Carmel, but I'm not aware of the Polish Masses. And there aren't any Italian Masses left, either: http://www.parishesonline.com/scripts/hostedsites/org.asp?ID=10134.

I've told you before that's where my parents got married back in 1958. My Dad is still on the Giglio committee, so we still get over there every so often. It's still a beautiful church smile.

Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: pizzaboy] #784503
06/18/14 09:40 AM
06/18/14 09:40 AM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
@Foot

Is that a parody article?

"greasy hands"? No way is that a quote.

also, said it before and will say it again...if writers don't get the F out of here with these new era nicknames....Nolita?

do these names come from real estate brokers?

====================================================

I just assumed that the real estate in L.I. was still in Italian hands

Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: vitovito] #784683
06/19/14 11:10 AM
06/19/14 11:10 AM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss
where the fuck is Nolita? below soho and above chinatown?

When Interpol?
Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: cheech] #784684
06/19/14 11:12 AM
06/19/14 11:12 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: cheech

North of Little Italy, south of Greenwich Village. But so is SoHo for that matter rolleyes.

Like I said, Nolita sounds like an underage hooker.

Re: Little italy pre 90s..... [Re: pizzaboy] #784685
06/19/14 11:17 AM
06/19/14 11:17 AM
Yankees1951 Offline
Made Member
Yankees1951  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: cheech

North of Little Italy, south of Greenwich Village. But so is SoHo for that matter rolleyes.

Like I said, Nolita sounds like an underage hooker.

smile

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull