GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 259 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,541
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,003
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,514
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,362
Posts1,059,281
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Derek Jeter vs Pete rose [Re: Longshoreman] #789291
07/15/14 12:01 PM
07/15/14 12:01 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
He's up there as the greatest post-Mantle Yankee, in achievement and class, if not in talent. But again, there have been A LOT of all-time great Yankees. Jeter might crack the top ten, or maybe not. It's all pretty subjective.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Derek Jeter vs Pete rose [Re: pizzaboy] #789292
07/15/14 12:04 PM
07/15/14 12:04 PM
Miami, Fla via Englewood Cliff...
Longshoreman Offline
Button
Longshoreman  Offline
Button
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
He's up there as the greatest post-Mantle Yankee, in achievement and class, if not in talent. But again, there have been A LOT of all-time great Yankees. Jeter might crack the top ten, or maybe not. It's all pretty subjective.

No doubt, it's funny we all say "Jeter had so much class" which he did, then somehow we use Mantle as a benchmark. Mantle was a Pig! Lol. And poor Yogi is rarely mentioned ever, turned himself into a clown and his numbers get over looked!

Re: Derek Jeter vs Pete rose [Re: Longshoreman] #789294
07/15/14 12:07 PM
07/15/14 12:07 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Longshoreman

No doubt, it's funny we all say "Jeter had so much class" which he did, then somehow we use Mantle as a benchmark. Mantle was a Pig! Lol. And poor Yogi is rarely mentioned ever, turned himself into a clown and his numbers get over looked!

No, no. Read my post. That's why I said "in achievment and class, if not talent," as it applies to Jeter.

Mantle was a drunken bum. A lovable drunken bum. But nevertheless a drunken bum.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Derek Jeter vs Pete rose [Re: pizzaboy] #789297
07/15/14 12:12 PM
Longshoreman Offline
Button
Longshoreman  Offline
Button

No, no. Read my post. That's why I said "in achievment and class, if not talent," as it applies to Jeter.

Mantle was a drunken bum. A lovable drunken bum. But nevertheless a drunken bum.

Got it! Always wanted to say that out loud about Mantle and jumped to quick!

Re: Derek Jeter vs Pete rose [Re: pizzaboy] #789298
gram6814 Offline
Button
gram6814  Offline
Button
Jeter had class Rose was a gavone (still is)

Both 1st ballot HOF no doubt especially Jeter in the steroid era.

Rose never really had one position (like Jeter)they literally found spots for him to play because of his bat and will to do whatever it took to win.

Apples and oranges, you're dead right (as usual)

Re: Derek Jeter vs Pete rose [Re: pizzaboy] #789437
07/15/14 09:44 PM
07/15/14 09:44 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Was: Revis_Island
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Apples and oranges.

Rose was a fierce competitor. So's Jeter, and I've always liked the way that he carries himself. He's a great Yankee, and a great competitor, and when the Hall comes calling on the first ballot, it will be well deserved.

But when it comes to all-time, all-around shortstops, he's not even in the top five, maybe even top ten.

Ahhhh this is where we differ. You see I think he would have to be in the top 10 and most likely in the top 5. Barry Larkin among other great SSs have said the same. I would put arod and honus ahead of him but off the top of my head I can't think of anyone else to put ahead of him tbh. Ripken is great but I wouldn't say he was as prolific a hitter as jeter. More power definitely, but overall I'd pick jeter barely. But I'd take either on my team any day. Both class acts and mean the world to the game.

Re: Derek Jeter vs Pete rose [Re: Longshoreman] #789438
07/15/14 09:46 PM
07/15/14 09:46 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
I get defending Pete Rose is like defending John Gotti, however I agree with the bulk of your thoughts. I disagree that you discount how much Jeter has hurt the Yankees the last few years, and I argue that the "only reason Rose has the records is because he played so long" that's kind of a no shit and he had to have been wanted by a club to play all those years. Still the amount of hits, runs, doubles and life chaos he created have a lot of worth. Agree he's not better than Jeter I will say it's not a slam dunk. If Rose played in New York he'd have been a messiah!

I agree 100% pretty much. Great analysis

Re: Derek Jeter vs Pete rose [Re: Revis_Knicks] #789440
07/15/14 09:51 PM
07/15/14 09:51 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
That's just the way the lifestyle of ball players was back then. They used to go out drink and have a good time. My top 5 Yankees would be 1. Ruth 2a. Mantle 2b. Gehrig 4. DiMaggio 5. Jeter or Berra. On most franchise best players lists jeter and Berra would probably be in the top 3 but for the Yankees they're fighting to be in the top 5. Just a testament to how many great Yankees players there has been.

Re: Derek Jeter vs Pete rose [Re: Revis_Knicks] #789443
07/15/14 09:55 PM
07/15/14 09:55 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Revis_Island
That's just the way the lifestyle of ball players was back then. They used to go out drink and have a good time. My top 5 Yankees would be 1. Ruth 2a. Mantle 2b. Gehrig 4. DiMaggio 5. Jeter or Berra. On most franchise best players lists jeter and Berra would probably be in the top 3 but for the Yankees they're fighting to be in the top 5. Just a testament to how many great Yankees players there has been.

And where's Whitey Ford?

I'm sorry, but he's in front of Jeter for a multitude of reasons. He was the greatest left handed Yankee pitcher of all time (maybe overall), and to top it off he's from Astoria.

Re: Derek Jeter vs Pete rose [Re: Revis_Knicks] #789445
07/15/14 09:57 PM
07/15/14 09:57 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Great tribute to Jeter at the all star game btw. Definitely deserved. Idk if you guys know who Chris "mad dog" Russo is but on his show "High Heat" on mlb network he always says that trout is a little overhyped because people call him the greatest 22 year old of all time when he says DiMaggio was better at age 22 both offensively and defensively. Personally I agree with him. Obviously Joey D didn't steal bases like Trout but he did pretty much everything else better. Trout will probably end up having a better overall career though. He is unbelievable.

Re: Derek Jeter vs Pete rose [Re: pizzaboy] #789446
07/15/14 09:59 PM
07/15/14 09:59 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Revis_Island

And where's Whitey Ford?

I'm sorry, but he's in front of Jeter for a multitude of reasons. He was the greatest left handed Yankee pitcher of all time (maybe overall), and to top it off he's from Astoria.

Forgot about whitey. Yeah he would be up there. 5 would be between those 3. Idk who I would give the edge to maybe Yogi but I'm really not sure. Tough decision. Munson probably would've been in the top 5 if he didn't pass so early.

Re: Derek Jeter vs Pete rose [Re: Longshoreman] #789447
07/15/14 10:03 PM
07/15/14 10:03 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
I get defending Pete Rose is like defending John Gotti, however I agree with the bulk of your thoughts. I disagree that you discount how much Jeter has hurt the Yankees the last few years, and I argue that the "only reason Rose has the records is because he played so long" that's kind of a no shit and he had to have been wanted by a club to play all those years. Still the amount of hits, runs, doubles and life chaos he created have a lot of worth. Agree he's not better than Jeter I will say it's not a slam dunk. If Rose played in New York he'd have been a messiah!

I'm not trying to say that it's not even close but I'm just saying that based on when I watched them both play and their stat line, I think jeter is signifigantly better than rose. Not a slam dunk like you said though no doubt.

Re: Derek Jeter vs Pete rose [Re: Revis_Knicks] #789492
07/16/14 05:22 AM
07/16/14 05:22 AM
Shamm11375 Offline
Button
Shamm11375  Offline
Button
I'm 30 years old, so I have basically grown up with Derek jeter, my memory of Yankee baseball before him is limited. So it feels like the last connection to my childhood is retiring this year. I will always be a yankee fan, but it will never be the same after this season. I'm happy I was able to take my son to a game this year so when he's older he can tell people I saw DJ play.

As far as where he ranks in Yankee history... he can never crack the top 5 with Ruth Gehrig, Mantle, Dimaggio and Berra (people forget how good he was because of his larger than life personality). Jeter and Mo come next.

But Jeter certainly is this generations Dimaggio , and we should all be thankful to have watched him play.

As far as the comparison to Rose...I would imagine they compare favorably, however Jeter played only one position for one team...something to be said for that in my opinion.

Last edited by Shamm11375; 07/16/14 05:23 AM.
Re: Derek Jeter vs Pete rose [Re: Revis_Knicks] #789621
07/16/14 12:18 PM
07/16/14 12:18 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Completely understand that. Because 6 or 7 on the all time Yankees list is probably equivalent to being in the top 3 on all other franchises.

Re: Derek Jeter vs Pete rose [Re: Revis_Knicks] #798983
08/28/14 03:43 PM
08/28/14 03:43 PM
New York
PetroPirelli Offline
Underboss
PetroPirelli  Offline
Underboss
New York
Jeter all day. End of story.

Re: Derek Jeter vs Pete rose [Re: Revis_Knicks] #799072
08/28/14 06:55 PM
08/28/14 06:55 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Tommy Helms was a pretty good player, but Rose wasn't moved from second base to the outfield because the Reds just had to get Tommy Helms in the lineup. I think there's better evidence that Jeter was a pretty good shortstop when he was young than that Rose was a good second baseman. Rose claws some points back for moving around among all the positions he could play, but there's always a premium for guys who can hold a position up the middle and also really hit.

Last edited by mustachepete; 08/28/14 06:58 PM.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Page 2 of 2 1 2