GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (joepuzzles234), 227 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,892
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,683
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What makes the Mafia so powerful? #780014
05/24/14 11:00 AM
05/24/14 11:00 AM
B
BorderProtector Offline OP
Wiseguy
BorderProtector  Offline OP
B
Wiseguy
I'm sorry to ask this question but what makes the mafia so powerful and different from other large American gangs like the Latin Kings, Texas Syndicate or Tangos Blast etc? Is the mafia really the most powerful gangs or other gangs like the Texas Syndicate that have sophisticated structures and deal in drug trafficking and drug sales is equally or more powerful than some mafia families? Or is the Mafia's past is somewhat clouding or misleading the actual power of the Mafia in 2014. I know the mafia is not organization but a plural name for Italian-American sophisticated gangs and sophisticated structure. But I have to ask,how much money the largest family is making a year(Genovese)?

Sorry for my ignorance but I simply don't know much about the mob but I simply can not believe the mob is as powerful as it's potrayed. I like to think that there are some gangs that make much more money than the mob like American drug organizations like the Black Mafia family.

Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: BorderProtector] #780029
05/24/14 12:41 PM
05/24/14 12:41 PM
Boca Raton
NNY78 Offline
The Counselor
NNY78  Offline
The Counselor
Underboss
Boca Raton
Originally Posted By: BorderProtector
I'm sorry to ask this question but what makes the mafia so powerful and different from other large American gangs like the Latin Kings, Texas Syndicate or Tangos Blast etc? Is the mafia really the most powerful gangs or other gangs like the Texas Syndicate that have sophisticated structures and deal in drug trafficking and drug sales is equally or more powerful than some mafia families? Or is the Mafia's past is somewhat clouding or misleading the actual power of the Mafia in 2014. I know the mafia is not organization but a plural name for Italian-American sophisticated gangs and sophisticated structure. But I have to ask,how much money the largest family is making a year(Genovese)?

Sorry for my ignorance but I simply don't know much about the mob but I simply can not believe the mob is as powerful as it's potrayed. I like to think that there are some gangs that make much more money than the mob like American drug organizations like the Black Mafia family.

Borderprotector, Welcome to the boards.

It's really difficult to say, while the Mafia does not possess the power they once had in this country, they are still established and feared in NY, NJ, IL, and PA. In terms of just dollars and cents I would say that one of the Mexican or Columbian Cartels is making more cash than the Genovese's and that Cartel wields more political power back in their home country were corruption is much worse that here if you can believe that. It kind of hard to say because none of these groups are filing tax returns or profit statements. wink

If your a Border Agent thank you for your service.

Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: NNY78] #780038
05/24/14 01:58 PM
05/24/14 01:58 PM
B
BorderProtector Offline OP
Wiseguy
BorderProtector  Offline OP
B
Wiseguy
LOL at you thinking I am border agent but no sadly I am not a border accent just a regular college student that wants to be a truck driver. I know a thing or two about cartels in Mexico but besides that I don't know shit about American gangs especially the mob but the mob seems a lot more sophisticated than the cartels. As you can not compare the corruption in Mexico than in the U.S. I guess lobbying is a legit form of corruption here in the U.S tongue. I think the cartels are more comparable to the mob in the 1920s where corruption in the U.S was similar to that of present Mexico and gangsters were much more brazen because of their political and law enforcement connections. The cartels wouldn't have much power if they legalize drugs. Without corruption the cartels can't operate. It's all about the cash that make them so powerful but now they are starting g to operate more like an organized crime group exerting their lower unto local politician, businessmen and other criminals via their extortion and kidnapping for ransom. Back in the day the cartels were much smaller in scope and man power and operations operated in the shadows. Regular citizens weren't affected by them and didn't even knew who these shadowy drug bosses were. People knew about Chapo and Caro Quintero but only by name they had no idea what they become or how much power these capos held. Over the years they(cartels) have transformed themselves into more organized groups relying less on corruption and more on intimidation and man power. It's truly a shame what they have done to Mexico. Not in a million years I would of thought Mexico would become like this.

But not to get off tracked but how much money do you think the whole Genovese make a year. Honestly. Also the whole drug bosses being billionair is is bullshit. There are probably a few that could be billionaires like Amado or Chapo but the vast majority of them are multimillionaires. Osiel Cardenas had 250 million dollars under his name or so it said but I believe these figures more than Forbes naming Chapo a billionaire. I personally don't think he was, neither did Amado Carrillo Fuentes. Z-40 the car washer made 50-100 million and he was one of Los Zetas top dogs.

Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: BorderProtector] #780043
05/24/14 02:14 PM
05/24/14 02:14 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Are you Mexican, BP??

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: BorderProtector] #780048
05/24/14 02:39 PM
05/24/14 02:39 PM
S
secondcoming Offline
Wiseguy
secondcoming  Offline
S
Wiseguy
I always thought it was ironic that the mob could be so powerful and all-reaching, but crews could be wiped out and sent away for life over something as simple as an off duty traffic cop in the right place at the right time. Someone so small and low on the authority scale can change the whole game. Kinda crazy

Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: BorderProtector] #780050
05/24/14 02:42 PM
05/24/14 02:42 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Fear..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: BorderProtector] #780065
05/24/14 03:25 PM
05/24/14 03:25 PM
T
Tyler_Durden Offline
Made Member
Tyler_Durden  Offline
T
Made Member
Interesting question.

Like others said the Italian-American mob today is far from what it was in the past,but I do believe that at its peak it was the strongest criminal organization that ever existed simply by virtue of being the strongest organization in the strongest country. Like NNY78 noted, it's one thing to have power in Columbia or Italy or post-communist Russia, and another to have it in America. As far as money goes, the cartels and modern day mafias make more money because of drugs, but that only goes so far. And most of it ends up being seized. But as far as power goes, no one will ever have the kind of power the mob had in America.
The Pablo Escobars and El Chapos and Schiavones make their billions and are on top for a decade or two, but they all end up dead or in prison and unable to spend. There are many like them, but only a few like Carlo Gambino or Tony Accardo or Gery Catena who kept their money, died as free men in their own beds, and more importantly, their power was their own, they weren't simply rich pawns for other (government)players.

As for what made the mob that way, I think it was a combination of two things:

- the clannish Italian/Sicillian culture that made them very cunning and Machiavellian and anti-authority and adept at expoloiting the system, more so than their Irish and Jewish contemporaries.
- a perfect storm set of circumstances that are unlikely to be replicated: prohibition, the rise of the labor unions, gambling being illegal, Hoover being a huge jerkoff etc.

Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: BorderProtector] #780066
05/24/14 03:28 PM
05/24/14 03:28 PM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
^^^and dont forget the biggest reason-PROHIBITION!

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort
Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: Tyler_Durden] #780067
05/24/14 03:31 PM
05/24/14 03:31 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Tyler_Durden
a perfect storm set of circumstances that are unlikely to be replicated: prohibition, the rise of the labor unions, gambling being illegal, Hoover being a huge jerkoff etc.

And that's why it can't be duplicated. That set of simultaneous circumstances will never be available to exploit again in this country.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: BorderProtector] #780070
05/24/14 04:01 PM
05/24/14 04:01 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
I could assure you of one thing. The Latin kings are not afraid of the mafia. They killed an Italian on 18 ave, when it was all Italan without blinking and eye.

Now 18 ave is 75 percent Chinese?

My youngest son had a problem with the latin kings about 12 yrs ago. My son was talking to a so called friend. Then a car pulls up his friend split. He knew to split because evidently he bothered one of the Latin kings sisters. She told her brother so car load of them gets out of the car with baseball bats and screw drivers and they start hitting my son.

What saved him it was winter time and he had a heavy coat on. He was taking BJJ plus he could fight. He got,out of it but was stabbed 5 times and they broke his elbow. He needed three operations to fix it.

He was still living in my house back then. He says hello and goes to his room without telling me what happened. I found out later when his friends came to the door to ask about him

only the unloved hate
Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: Footreads] #780074
05/24/14 05:00 PM
05/24/14 05:00 PM
T
TommyGambino Offline
Underboss
TommyGambino  Offline
T
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Footreads
I could assure you of one thing. The Latin kings are not afraid of the mafia. They killed an Italian on 18 ave, when it was all Italan without blinking and eye.

My youngest son had a problem with the latin kings about 12 yrs ago. My son was talking to a so called friend. Then a car pulls up his friend split. He knew to split because evidently he bothered one of the Latin kings sisters. She told her brother so car load of them gets out of the car with baseball bats and screw drivers and they start hitting my son.

What saved him it was winter time and he had a heavy coat on. He was taking BJJ plus he could fight. He got,out of it but was stabbed 5 times and they broke his elbow. He needed three operations to fix it.

He was still living in my house back then. He says hello and goes to his room without telling me what happened. I found out later when his friends came to the door to ask about him

They killed a randomn Italian or a member of the Mafia? obviously now things are different and gangs don't fear the mob as much but if they killed one of the 18th ave crew back in the 80's or 90's they'd have been hit for certain, too many Sicilian killers in that crew.

And The Latin Kings attack people with baseball bats and screwdrivers? Are you sure they were gang members or just a gang of youths acting hard? I've never heard of genuine gang members that roll around with screwdrivers, it's knives and guns.

Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: BorderProtector] #780083
05/24/14 06:20 PM
05/24/14 06:20 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
You shouldn't come at me with a screwdriver. My mother came at me with a screwdriver once. Once.

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: carmela] #780084
05/24/14 06:25 PM
05/24/14 06:25 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: carmela
My mother came at me with a screwdriver once. Once.

Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: BorderProtector] #780086
05/24/14 06:28 PM
05/24/14 06:28 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
grin And foot (may I call you foot?) I am not making light of your situations, but everytime you tell one of your stories, Danny Vermin quotes go thru my head for some reason.
You wouldn't believe the stuff that goes thru my head daily, though, so...

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: carmela] #780087
05/24/14 06:31 PM
05/24/14 06:31 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
grin And foot (may I call you foot?)

His father called him Foot once. And then he set him on fire. Ba-dum-bum.

Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: TommyGambino] #780111
05/25/14 03:38 AM
05/25/14 03:38 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
Originally Posted By: TommyGambino

They killed a randomn Italian or a member of the Mafia? obviously now things are different and gangs don't fear the mob as much but if they killed one of the 18th ave crew back in the 80's or 90's they'd have been hit for certain, too many Sicilian killers in that crew.

And The Latin Kings attack people with baseball bats and screwdrivers? Are you sure they were gang members or just a gang of youths acting hard? I've never heard of genuine gang members that roll around with screwdrivers, it's knives and guns.

I knew latin kings that are old men now. They were into phone cards and everything else. Then you had Latin kings that were young guys teens and guys in their 20s those are that went after my son by mistake as I told you.

The guy they killed was a connected guy in the 1980s. I was amazed by the balls they had doing that.

only the unloved hate
Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: pizzaboy] #780112
05/25/14 03:39 AM
05/25/14 03:39 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
Funny remember that guy in that movie

only the unloved hate
Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: carmela] #780115
05/25/14 03:51 AM
05/25/14 03:51 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
grin And foot (may I call you foot?) I am not making light of your situations, but everytime you tell one of your stories, Danny Vermin quotes go thru my head for some reason.
You wouldn't believe the stuff that goes thru my head daily, though, so...

You can call me foot smile in Portugese translated I think it means Footreads. It is how Brazilian foot ball players communicate non verbally with each other in their short passing game. The position of their foot on the ball tells their short receivers where to move to receive the pass. As far as I know no one else does that or can do that.

When you get old you know a lot of stories about everything. Some are real and some how changed with time. I am pretty sure most are real, but who knows really after all I am old. But in my head I am still in my 20's. My old wife seems to like that about me.

only the unloved hate
Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: BorderProtector] #780116
05/25/14 03:52 AM
05/25/14 03:52 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
They get arrested they don't consider a screwdriver a weapon.

only the unloved hate
Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: pizzaboy] #780117
05/25/14 04:00 AM
05/25/14 04:00 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
grin And foot (may I call you foot?)

His father called him Foot once. And then he set him on fire. Ba-dum-bum.

Funny you should mention that. In the 60s they had people marching against the Vietnam conflict which was their right. Funny those pacifists really liked to fight smile

Any way people did not mind that. But, the burning the flag a lot of people did not like that. They should make flags that are fire proof. Protest but burning the flag? Find another way to protest.

Some guys saw them do that and got pretty mad. So I was told by this guy a gang member. They saw the guy alone and kidnaped him off the street. They took him to a safe house. Then they told him they were going to protest him doing that in the same way.

They rapped a flag around his face, and set it on fire.

only the unloved hate
Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: BorderProtector] #780159
05/25/14 09:13 AM
05/25/14 09:13 AM
Boca Raton
NNY78 Offline
The Counselor
NNY78  Offline
The Counselor
Underboss
Boca Raton
Originally Posted By: BorderProtector
As you can not compare the corruption in Mexico than in the U.S. I guess lobbying is a legit form of corruption here in the U.S.

Border, Lobbying by special interests is considered a form of corruption by some,legal as it may be. I think we have made some progress since the Mafia's heyday when it comes to the political corruption that allowed the LCN to flourish, though in a few places like NJ, NY and IL its still quite prevalent.Back in the day individuals like Rockefeller, Morgan and Carnegie and others used their power to influence national elections and the prices of goods and services while the Mafia would use trickery or extortion to ensnare a politician into doing there bidding, these two groups had the same motives, power and money,but used different means to achieve their goals.

Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: Footreads] #780215
05/25/14 03:32 PM
05/25/14 03:32 PM
M
mulberry Offline
Underboss
mulberry  Offline
M
Underboss

That's not a surprise. The Gemini Twins had their battles with the Puerto Ricans too. I believe Jimmy Burke's son was killed by a Puerto Rican. The Bath Street crew had their fights with Latin Kings too

Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: BorderProtector] #780218
05/25/14 04:07 PM
05/25/14 04:07 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
Your going to dig this. We were always fighting the viceroys a PR gang.

One of them I recognized in a movie with Dustin Hoffman the Marathan man. He was one of the PR's that robbed hoffmans house to get his fathers 45.

He got no billing his real name is Pablo Guzman later he became an investigative
Reporter for channel 5 news. He still might be a reporter.

only the unloved hate
Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: pizzaboy] #780222
05/25/14 04:39 PM
05/25/14 04:39 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Are you Mexican, BP??

J:"He looks like somebody we know"

T:"woah...It's him, just with a beard"

Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: getthesenets] #780225
05/25/14 04:56 PM
05/25/14 04:56 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
^^^^^^^^

Could be wink.

Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: Footreads] #780229
05/25/14 07:16 PM
05/25/14 07:16 PM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
Some guys saw them do that and got pretty mad. So I was told by this guy a gang member. They saw the guy alone and kidnaped him off the street. They took him to a safe house. Then they told him they were going to protest him doing that in the same way.

Thats a fair response.
I do so love how some Americans are so pro-free speech.

As long as you agree with them.

Last edited by SonnyBlackstein; 05/25/14 07:16 PM.

MORGAN: Why didn't you fight him at the park if you wanted to? I'm not goin' now, I'm eatin' my snack.
CHUCKIE: Morgan, Let's go.
MORGAN: I'm serious Chuckie, I ain't goin'.
WILL: So don't go.
Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: SonnyBlackstein] #780232
05/25/14 07:28 PM
05/25/14 07:28 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein

Overt jingoism isn't mutually exclusive to Americans. We have a poster here whose signature reads "British is best." And he never misses an opportunity to fan the flames of a dangerous brand of nationalism. It happens everywhere wink .

Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: SonnyBlackstein] #780245
05/25/14 11:10 PM
05/25/14 11:10 PM
M
mulberry Offline
Underboss
mulberry  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein

Thats a fair response.

I'm sure those guys are representative of all Americans. You are so tolerant and unbiased

Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: DE NIRO] #780246
05/26/14 12:03 AM
05/26/14 12:03 AM
Garbageman Offline
Made Member
Garbageman  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Fear..

Simple, to the point & true

Re: What makes the Mafia so powerful? [Re: carmela] #780247
05/26/14 12:06 AM
05/26/14 12:06 AM
Garbageman Offline
Made Member
Garbageman  Offline
Made Member
You shouldn't come at me with a screwdriver. My mother came at me with a screwdriver once. Once.

That fargin bastige

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull