GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Irishman12, The_Marble_Guy), 277 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,916
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,330
Posts1,058,772
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory #776669
05/09/14 05:18 PM
05/09/14 05:18 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline OP
The Italian Stallionette  Offline OP

California
With Mother's Day coming up, I thought it might be nice to share one of our early memories of our mothers. It was just 2 years ago (May 3) that I lost my mom and I've been thinking of her a lot the last couple days. Here's one of my memories:

I was 4 and my sister was 5. My sister was going to her first day of Kindergarten. I started sobbing loudly because I wanted to go to. (What was I thinking?) lolI kept telling my mom "But I wanna go to school too." She picked me up, stood me on a kitchen chair. She took a hanky out of her apron pocket to dry my eyes. She put her hands on my shoulders and told me, "That's ok, next year, you'll be five and you'll get to start Kindergarten."

It's brief, yet one of my earliest and fondest memories of my dear mom.

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 05/10/14 07:39 AM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #776671
05/09/14 05:35 PM
05/09/14 05:35 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Nice, Tis smile.

And mine's easy. It was my first Mets' game. Mother's Day 1964. We went to Shea Stadium, which was only a couple months old at the time. I was almost five years old, so I don't remember the particulars. But I know that only my poor Mom would give up Mother's Day at home to go to a ballgame lol.

My Dad still has the pics. I'll see if I can upload them over the weekend. smile

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #776886
05/11/14 06:25 AM
05/11/14 06:25 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Very nice topic, TIS.

One of my earliest memories of my mom was of her buying a camera for my older brother's kindergarten graduation. At the time it was a major family purchase. The ceremony was held in the morning and the dads were at work, so my mom pushed the stroller with my sister several blocks to the school with me - not yet four - clinging to her sweater sleeve.

Once in a while when we dig up the old photos from the 60s I can still remember the moments when the pictures were taken that day in 1968.

Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: klydon1] #776891
05/11/14 07:15 AM
05/11/14 07:15 AM
California

California
Both great memories PB & Kly. Like the memory I posted, they seem brief and we don't remember all the details cause we were so young, BUT for whatever reason those particular memories remain in our minds. smile

Another, again brief memory. I must have been 4 or 5, and went downtown with my mom(which was a shopping event we dressed up for in those days LOL). I was holding my mom's hand and there was a lot of activity(more than usual) because Eisenhower, who was running for President, was in town. Many people had "I Like Ike" pins on them. I remember being a little awed at the excitement and activity around me, and held my mom's hand tightly. We never saw Ike, but for whatever reason that event/atmosphere stuck in my mind.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #777008
05/11/14 07:25 PM
05/11/14 07:25 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
When I was in Kindergarten, my teacher didn't show up one day. Through some mixup, neither did the sub. There was chaos, and I just decided to leave school and I was going to walk home. We lived in the Bronx then, and to get home I would have had to cross 233rd Street, which I believe had three lanes of traffic in each direction. Not good for 5 year old.

My mom said a little voice told her not to go home after she dropped me off. Sure enough, about 15 minutes after I went in, I came strolling back out. She brought me back into the school and marched into Principal's office, giving them the riot act. I was awestruck that anyone would yell at the PRINCIPAL!

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #777021
05/11/14 10:04 PM
05/11/14 10:04 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
Short you tube of my mother in 1961 she is tge dark skinned heavy set women at the end she was from Naples and when she got a tan she went black.

It was in our local bakery before the Shylock took the place over.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUvs8TKE2g0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

only the unloved hate
Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #777089
05/12/14 07:21 AM
05/12/14 07:21 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
"Whatever else is unsure in this stinking dunghill of a world a mother's love is not."

James Joyce, "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man"

Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: klydon1] #777100
05/12/14 07:43 AM
05/12/14 07:43 AM
California

California
Nice quote Kly. smile

True, except of course if you're "Mommie Dearest", which I watched for the first time in years yesterday. panic

What's wire hangers doing in this closet when I told you no wire hangers, ever ...

Ha ha ha! Talk about mother from hell.

TIS

Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #777110
05/12/14 08:08 AM
05/12/14 08:08 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
It wasn't my earliest memory, but here's a quick story about my mom. When I was probably about 8 years old, I went to an Indians game with my parents. They were giving away Indians hat as a promotion when you walked through the gate. Back then, the Indians were terrible (I would say 1980/81), well before their success of the mid-1990s.

When we got to our seat, I noticed that the Indians "C" on the front of the hat was all messed up. It was falling off or something else very noticeable. My mom probably spent half of the game trying to trade that hat for one that was not defective. And I know that kids are not always the most appreciative (and I wasn't at that age), but I remember how grateful I was and how "above and beyond" I felt my mom was. While in the big scheme of things it was minor, but to an 8 year old boy it meant so much.

Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #777119
05/12/14 08:43 AM
05/12/14 08:43 AM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
I remember sitting at home with my Mom (she didn't start back working until me and my brother were in school) drawing things, or the time they lost me on Clearwater Beach in Florida as even I ran away from the beach guards that were trying to find me. I think I was 4.

Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: goombah] #777129
05/12/14 09:27 AM
05/12/14 09:27 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: goombah
It wasn't my earliest memory, but here's a quick story about my mom. When I was probably about 8 years old, I went to an Indians game with my parents. They were giving away Indians hat as a promotion when you walked through the gate. Back then, the Indians were terrible (I would say 1980/81), well before their success of the mid-1990s.

When we got to our seat, I noticed that the Indians "C" on the front of the hat was all messed up. It was falling off or something else very noticeable. My mom probably spent half of the game trying to trade that hat for one that was not defective. And I know that kids are not always the most appreciative (and I wasn't at that age), but I remember how grateful I was and how "above and beyond" I felt my mom was. While in the big scheme of things it was minor, but to an 8 year old boy it meant so much.

You just had to one-up me and my Mets story with a heartwarming Cleveland Indians story. Didn't you, Goom? grin

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: pizzaboy] #777132
05/12/14 09:31 AM
05/12/14 09:31 AM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Nice, Tis smile.

And mine's easy. It was my first Mets' game. Mother's Day 1964. We went to Shea Stadium, which was only a couple months old at the time. I was almost five years old, so I don't remember the particulars. But I know that only my poor Mom would give up Mother's Day at home to go to a ballgame lol.

My Dad still has the pics. I'll see if I can upload them over the weekend. smile

id like to see that...you know what always intrigues me? how people dressed back then...always suits and a nice hat.

When Interpol?
Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #777136
05/12/14 09:46 AM
05/12/14 09:46 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
My earliest is when I was three and I got a dart in my left eye. I don't remember the incident or the immediate aftermath. However, I remember my mother coming to the hospital to see me. I kept climbing out on my crib, so they put a net over it. I have a lifetime of remembering her because it made the newspaper. It was a picture of my mother holding me with a patch over my eye as we looked at each other.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: cheech] #777139
05/12/14 09:51 AM
05/12/14 09:51 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: cheech
id like to see that...you know what always intrigues me? how people dressed back then...always suits and a nice hat.

Yeah, it was a different time. That's for sure. Look at those old videos of the Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field, the way the men dressed. Suits, ties and fedoras in the middle of the summer, in the afternoon!

And going to the fights was an even bigger deal. Boy, did they love to get dressed up for Friday night fights at the Garden smile.

Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: pizzaboy] #777145
05/12/14 10:12 AM
05/12/14 10:12 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA

You just had to one-up me and my Mets story with a heartwarming Cleveland Indians story. Didn't you, Goom? grin

Cleveland's got to win at something. wink

Pizzaboy, I still contend that you were the second spitter from the June 14, 1987 Mets/Phillies Keith Hernandez game. tongue

Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: goombah] #777153
05/12/14 10:32 AM
05/12/14 10:32 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

Cleveland's got to win at something. wink

Pizzaboy, I still contend that you were the second spitter from the June 14, 1987 Mets/Phillies Keith Hernandez game. tongue

I don't know about that, but I undersand that McDowell's wife has an unusually large vagina.

Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #777154
05/12/14 10:33 AM
05/12/14 10:33 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
My mother took a lot of abuse from my good father. He would hit us all. He would burn her with his cigs. Her father was abusive as well. He it her with a rubber hose.

My memories of my mother was that she could really cook. But that she was also weak for not protecting us from his abuse. He made sure she was dependent on him. After the peace of shit died she could not do anything for herself. She actually missed the jerk.

But after my brother and I took her to a lot of Yankee games. She loved to watch Mickey mantle play.

only the unloved hate
Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: Footreads] #777155
05/12/14 10:35 AM
05/12/14 10:35 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Footreads
My mother took a lot of abuse from my good father. He would hit us all. He would burn her with his cigs. Her father was abusive as well. He it her with a rubber hose.

My memories of my mother was that she could really cook. But that she was also weak for not protecting us from his abuse. He made sure she was dependent on him. After the peace of shit died she could not do anything for herself. She actually missed the jerk.

But after my brother and I took her to a lot of Yankee games. She loved to watch Mickey mantle play.

Were you here like a year ago with a different username?

I only ask because this is very similar to the stories that another member posted about his father awhile back.

Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #777157
05/12/14 10:44 AM
05/12/14 10:44 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
The sad thing is I was not the only one who had a bad father.

only the unloved hate
Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #777163
05/12/14 11:31 AM
05/12/14 11:31 AM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss
my nonnie never had a license or drove a car, still cant...when my poppy passed it was especially hard on her, still is...my poor aunt had to move in with her.

When Interpol?
Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #841383
05/09/15 08:56 PM
05/09/15 08:56 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
I remember my Dad comming home with flowers he planted in the yard for Mothers Day and she was so Happy. I did not know what they were until later in life and wanted to know, so I did and planted the same for my wife on Mothers day for several years

Hydrandra / Forsythia / Rose of Sharon.

Mom always called the Forsythia, The Booklyn Bush.

The Hydrandra is also called a snowball bush.

Rose of Sharon grow like weeds.

A garden can only take a few of each.

This year the wife got a Wood carved Owl, i'll post a picture later.

Happy Mothers Day to all The Moms and all the people remembering their Moms.

smile

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: Mother's Day - Your Earliest Memory [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #841419
05/10/15 07:35 AM
05/10/15 07:35 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
When I was 3, I got a dart in my left eye. They operated and saved my site. I don't remember it, but I do remember being in the hospital and being visited by my mother. They had to put a net over my bed to keep me from getting out.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull