GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (joepuzzles234), 384 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,980
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,092
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
If Fredo had gotten into Mike's car in Cuba... #771425
04/04/14 06:34 AM
04/04/14 06:34 AM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline OP
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline OP
Underboss
New Market, MD
Would Mike allowed him to live?

I think so. If Fredo had opened up earlier about the plan against Michael, and his own involvement in it, I think Mike would have spared his brother's life. Maybe he still would have cast him out of the family for good, but he wouldn't have resorted to killing him.

What do you think?

Re: If Fredo had gotten into Mike's car in Cuba... [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #771467
04/04/14 11:01 AM
04/04/14 11:01 AM
North America
Mr. Blonde Offline
Capo
Mr. Blonde  Offline
Capo
North America
Short term, yes. Michael was not offing Fredo in Cuba.

Long term, possibly but not certainly. Would Fredo have volunteered more information than he did later at the boathouse? His emotions may have been more piqued, allowing for more of a purging of the soul so to speak, which could have saved his life.

My instincts tell me that he would have been no more forthcoming, so his fate would have been the same regardless.

Re: If Fredo had gotten into Mike's car in Cuba... [Re: Mr. Blonde] #771532
04/04/14 03:04 PM
04/04/14 03:04 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I'm guessing that Michael might have been inclined to give his brother a pass. But the outburst in the boat house revealed the depths of Fredo's resentment of Michael--and his justification of that resentment. Fredo also revealed that he knew they had Pentangeli, and that the Senate lawyer, Questadt, belonged to Roth--indicating that he was far closer to Roth than he let on. Had he revealed that info earlier, he could have shown Michael he was serious about helping him avoid the Senate perjury trap.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: If Fredo had gotten into Mike's car in Cuba... [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #771538
04/04/14 04:12 PM
04/04/14 04:12 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
I can see the points about Michael not killing Fredo in Havana. But to play devil's advocate, here are the reasons Michael could have had Fredo die in Cuba: 1) it was bedlam there with the overthrowing of Batista for (presumably) Castro. Michael would have had an easier way to have Fredo killed amidst the chaos. Plus at that point, Michael believes that Roth was killed by his bodyguard. He may have figured that killing Fredo in Cuba, combined with Roth's assassination, were the end of those responsible for the Tahoe attempt.

2) Michael's look of devastation at learning that Fredo was the traitor. Let's not forget that the disappointment Michael must have felt was immeasurable. I admit that it's unlikely, but what if just once Michael acted more like Santino than his father when learning Fredo was behind the Tahoe attempt? The odds say Michael would remain in control, but he still had his own faults.

I love the "what ifs" regarding this movie. Great topic.

Re: If Fredo had gotten into Mike's car in Cuba... [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #771549
04/04/14 06:31 PM
04/04/14 06:31 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
IMHO,Fredo would have been a dead man either way. Mike knew about the betrayal in Cuba,so the boat house scene,while poignant,didn't result in Mike suddenly deciding to kill his brother.I believe that Mike made the call much earlier.

To make my case,I am going with a few assumptions that I think are feasible.
One,in the overall Mafia community,the news of Fredo's treachery would get out to the other Families.
Two,Mike's rep would suffer by having his own brother go against him.
Three,the Corleone's would be seen as a Family beset by internal problems,hence a possible takeover target.
Four,Mike himself would be a laughing stock.

Given Mike's general ruthlessness,and his twisted enjoyment of his newfound power,he saw no other option than to kill Fredo,knowing that regardless of the official version,the people "in the loop" (both friends and foes) would know damn well that Mike killed his own brother.

In Mike's mind,this was the sledgehammer move,much like the totally unnecessary hit on Roth at the airport.
His only concern was to show the (under)world,that the Corleone's,like the Bochiccio's,would not leave any insult unavenged,regardless of the consequences,and that Mike was not to be crossed by anyone.

Last edited by Lou_Para; 04/07/14 01:10 PM.
Re: If Fredo had gotten into Mike's car in Cuba... [Re: Lou_Para] #771573
04/05/14 02:34 AM
04/05/14 02:34 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

He would have saved Fredo in Cuba, and perhaps been able to get more out of him than he did. Fredo would still live....as long as his mother was alive.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: If Fredo had gotten into Mike's car in Cuba... [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #771792
04/05/14 07:16 PM
04/05/14 07:16 PM
New York, NY
Questadt Offline
Button
Questadt  Offline
Button
New York, NY
Originally Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

I think so. If Fredo had opened up earlier about the plan against Michael, and his own involvement in it, I think Mike would have spared his brother's life. Maybe he still would have cast him out of the family for good, but he wouldn't have resorted to killing him.

What do you think?

It sounds plausible to me. At the car outside Battista's presidential palace as Michael was preparing to leave for the airport, there was real concern in his voice as he called out: "Fredo! Come with me! You're still my brother. Fredo!"

It sounded to me as if he still cared for his brother...

"A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns."
Re: If Fredo had gotten into Mike's car in Cuba... [Re: Questadt] #771900
04/06/14 01:45 PM
04/06/14 01:45 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Questadt
Originally Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

What do you think?

It sounds plausible to me. At the car outside Battista's presidential palace as Michael was preparing to leave for the airport, there was real concern in his voice as he called out: "Fredo! Come with me! You're still my brother. Fredo!"

It sounded to me as if he still cared for his brother...

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: If Fredo had gotten into Mike's car in Cuba... [Re: dontomasso] #771904
04/06/14 01:56 PM
04/06/14 01:56 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
One thing that's always puzzled me:

Michael was frantic to get Fredo on that plane out of Havana--I'm guessing because he wanted to pump Fredo for more information on his betrayal. First thing he asks Tom when he's back in Nevada is, "Where's my brother?" But when Tom tells him that he think's Fredo's in NY, Michael simply says, "Get word to him," etc. Suddenly the pressure was off. Michael could have arranged to have Fredo found and brought to him ASAP. Instead, he waited until after his ass got into a crack at the Senate hearing befoe telling Tom, "I want to speak to Fredo." confused

Re: If Fredo had gotten into Mike's car in Cuba... [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #771984
04/07/14 08:45 AM
04/07/14 08:45 AM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
I think he wanted to see if Fredo would come back to him, somewhat on his own. He never did.

Last edited by DeathByClotheshanger; 04/07/14 08:45 AM.
Re: If Fredo had gotten into Mike's car in Cuba... [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #772074
04/07/14 03:19 PM
04/07/14 03:19 PM
P
paprincess Offline
Capo
paprincess  Offline
P
Capo
Quick question, besides the shooting at the compound, how involved in Michael's assassination was Fredo? I mean I know Johnny Ola called him while he and his wife were asleep but after that did they show anymore communication between Fredo and Roth? Did Fredo expect Michael to be killed in Cuba? Or do you guys think he had an inclination that it was possible?

Re: If Fredo had gotten into Mike's car in Cuba... [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #772084
04/07/14 04:40 PM
04/07/14 04:40 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
As Fredo told Michael, "I didn't know it was gonna be a hit." I believe him.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: If Fredo had gotten into Mike's car in Cuba... [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #772135
04/08/14 05:50 AM
04/08/14 05:50 AM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
Fredo was naive but I don't know if he was THAT naive.

His outburst in the boathouse comes from a lot of deep seeded anger. I think Fredo may have told himself it wasn't going to be a hit, knowing that it was. I think the most logical explanation for whoever opened the drapes is that it was Fredo.

And the connection between Fredo and Ola was pretty good if they'd already been to the Superman show in Havanna before.

Re: If Fredo had gotten into Mike's car in Cuba... [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #772204
04/08/14 02:39 PM
04/08/14 02:39 PM
P
paprincess Offline
Capo
paprincess  Offline
P
Capo
True... what do you guys think would have happened if after the attempted assassination at the compound Fredo would have fessed up about knowing Johnny ola and hyman roth but then told Michael he had no clue that was going to happen, then he himself said he wanted nothing to do with the business ... would Michael have respected that or had Fredo killed?

Re: If Fredo had gotten into Mike's car in Cuba... [Re: paprincess] #772221
04/08/14 05:53 PM
04/08/14 05:53 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: paprincess
Quick question, besides the shooting at the compound, how involved in Michael's assassination was Fredo? I mean I know Johnny Ola called him while he and his wife were asleep but after that did they show anymore communication between Fredo and Roth? Did Fredo expect Michael to be killed in Cuba? Or do you guys think he had an inclination that it was possible?

Fredo was involved with Roth and Ola far more than he let on:

http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthr...true#Post472494

Re: If Fredo had gotten into Mike's car in Cuba... [Re: olivant] #772290
04/09/14 08:31 AM
04/09/14 08:31 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: olivant

Roth and Ola didn't tell Fredo it was gonna be a hit. Fredo didn't ask if it was gonna be a hit. So, he literally didn't know it was gonna be a hit. He could have inferred it was gonna be a hit if he gave it a moment's thought. He didn't want to.

Re: If Fredo had gotten into Mike's car in Cuba... [Re: Turnbull] #772292
04/09/14 08:51 AM
04/09/14 08:51 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
..... if he gave it a moment's thought. He didn't want to.

He didn't have the ability to. He wasn't smhat, he was dumb, like everybody said. He couldn't do things.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: If Fredo had gotten into Mike's car in Cuba... [Re: Turnbull] #772305
04/09/14 10:09 AM
04/09/14 10:09 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Originally Posted By: olivant

Roth and Ola didn't tell Fredo it was gonna be a hit. Fredo didn't ask if it was gonna be a hit. So, he literally didn't know it was gonna be a hit. He could have inferred it was gonna be a hit if he gave it a moment's thought. He didn't want to.

Only true TB if Roth told him what they intended to do that they did do. Don't forget that Fredo also told Ola that he and Roth lied to him.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: If Fredo had gotten into Mike's car in Cuba... [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #800449
09/04/14 04:57 PM
09/04/14 04:57 PM
United States
Paul Pisano Offline
Underboss
Paul Pisano  Offline
Underboss
United States
one must remember this was the second time fredo went against the family. in GF 1 he sided with moe greene. fredo's outburst at michael's house shows that fredo can not be trusted. fredo is both stupid and weak two qualities one can't have according to michael. i am wondering who killed the two assassins. obviously someone at the compound.

http://kingfish4400.webstore.com/

blu-ray/dvd/vhs/more. 1449 + titles. PRICE DROP ON ALL TITLES + 30 percent off all titles, free shipping, one bus day handling time, and guest checkout available- membership not required to make a purchase. 52 SALES to date. verified seller. BATMAN52 IS THE CODE THAT MUST BE ENTERED AT CHECKOUT TO GET THE DISCOUNT.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull