GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (RushStreet, 1 invisible), 167 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,415
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,830
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,301
Posts1,058,238
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: night_timer] #771985
04/07/14 08:57 AM
04/07/14 08:57 AM
spmob Offline
Underboss
spmob  Offline
Underboss

Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: spmob] #772004
04/07/14 10:27 AM
04/07/14 10:27 AM
O
Owney_Madden Offline
Wiseguy
Owney_Madden  Offline
O
Wiseguy
night time. I can take you're mulberry street question.
I first visited New York in 1988 I walked down mulberry street, pretty shady as I remember including wiseguy types.
I've been back since but only visited mulberry street again in 2007 this time the place was awash with tourists and directly across from where the ravenite had been they were filming Americas next top model

Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: Owney_Madden] #772447
04/10/14 06:55 AM
04/10/14 06:55 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
In 1977, when I graduated high school, it was probably just from general urban decay. But by 1993, the crack epidemic was in full bloom. That drug did more damage to the Bronx in a decade than every other drug combined in the previous fifty years.

you sure about that? the heroin epidemic of the 70's was said to cause alot of the urban decay, not to mention being a much more addictive drug that crack itself. cocaine was also big around that same time, plenty of users were freebasing by the late 70's/early 80's. crack didn't hit full circle out west until i believe 84, and soon made it's way eastward. keep in mind that during this same time period while crack got all the headlines, heroin was still causing untold amounts of devastation. i'm not saying you're wrong, but maybe you should blame drugs as a whole, as opposed to just crack.

You may very well be right, Five. But crackheads were more visibly desperate. No comparison. I mean, you go back to the late '80s or early '90s, and at three o'clock on a Saturday afternoon you might see a crackhead walking down Jerome Avenue or the Grand Concourse with a Betamax or a Technics rack system piled high above his line of sight, like he was just out for a stroll or moving into a new building. Or hookers turning tricks for 3 dollars on White Plains Road.

And I swear on my kids, I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. And the funny part is, crime was so high back then the cops wouldn't even pay attention to them. It was insane. And you just never saw that kind of desperation and shameless begging with heroin addicts. Dope fiends tended to stay in the shadows. Back then, anyway. 

Originally Posted By: tiger84
New york has completly lost its sole.Its much safer than it was years ago but i hear stories from my older cousins in the 80s and the kids today will never experiance anything like that.Just skipping school and going to the city was an adventure.Try doing that shit today the cops will pik you up.There was peep shows pimps sex drugs it was fun to take in small dosages but today that shit for the most part is extremly hidden.I get so jealous when i hear these stories and wish i was that generation.Dont get me wrong i had fun growing up but the older generations had more.

For some reason I thought you were older, Tiger smile.

Originally Posted By: night_timer
We shouldn't become too romantic about urban blight and crime giving a city its 'edgy' quality, but "the good old, bad old days" have a certain charm and appeal.

Absolute truth.

I'm gonna be 55 and no one laments the passing of "Old New York" like I do. I hate the gentrification like poison (and being that I make my living as a landlord, that's really saying something). But as a parent, I'm content that I didn't have to raise my kids in a coldwater walkup off of Fordham Road. I know it sounds like a cliché and right out of "A Bronx Tale," but when you're older you'll all understand wink.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: night_timer] #772795
04/12/14 09:56 PM
04/12/14 09:56 PM
T
tiger84 Offline
Capo
tiger84  Offline
T
Capo
Pizzaboy im going to be 30 in a few months which means im gen Y.My gen is just before social media completely took over the lives of the kids today but also more than half our lives we have been carrying a phone around with us.

Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: Flushing] #772816
04/13/14 06:17 AM
04/13/14 06:17 AM
Midwest
LittleNicky Offline
Underboss
LittleNicky  Offline
Underboss
Midwest
Personally, I don't understanding the whining about gentrification. Despite the connotation all it means the area becomes wealthier, increasing the property values for local residents, lowering crime and providing a higher-tax base leading to better schools, roads and public institutions.

This whining has gotten especially bad in the bay area, where protesters apparently don't want the tech industry in the city anymore because the rents are too damn high. Which is fine, I bet every sane city in america would love that gentrification that the tech industry brings (ie wealth creation).

I mean I get the nostalgia, I tend to really miss some old ballparks for some indescribable reason (like soul) despite the new ones being generally better. But lets not mask the fact that most cities (see Detriot or Gary) would like the "problems" presented by gentrification. Its a good problem to have.

Last edited by LittleNicky; 04/13/14 06:18 AM.

Should probably ask Mr. Kierney. I guess if you're Italian, you should be in prison.
I've read the RICO Act, and I can tell you it's more appropriate...
for some of those guys over in Washington than it is for me or any of my fellas here
Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: night_timer] #772817
04/13/14 06:47 AM
04/13/14 06:47 AM
Extortion Offline
Underboss
Extortion  Offline
Underboss
I live in the hood in Crown Heights/border of bed stuy off Atlantic Avenue. I feel it's relatively safe.

Last edited by Extortion; 04/13/14 07:44 AM.
Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: LittleNicky] #772837
04/13/14 09:30 AM
04/13/14 09:30 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: LittleNicky
I mean I get the nostalgia, I tend to really miss some old ballparks for some indescribable reason (like soul) despite the new ones being generally better. But lets not mask the fact that most cities (see Detriot or Gary) would like the "problems" presented by gentrification. Its a good problem to have.

I get what you're saying, Nicky. And I agree to a point. Like I said in my earlier post: I'm VERY content that my kids didn't grow up in a fifth story, cold-water, walk-up apartment, like I did. But you DO hate to see it when people can't afford to live in the neighborhood where they grew up (assuming they WANT to live there) smile.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: night_timer] #772839
04/13/14 09:47 AM
04/13/14 09:47 AM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Why would they cut heroin with fentanyl? You'd figure fentanyl would garner big money on it's own?

Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: pizzaboy] #772840
04/13/14 09:49 AM
04/13/14 09:49 AM
M
MikeyO Offline
BANNED
MikeyO  Offline
BANNED
M
Capo
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

I get what you're saying, Nicky. And I agree to a point. Like I said in my earlier post: I'm VERY content that my kids didn't grow up in a fifth story, cold-water, walk-up apartment, like I did. But you DO hate to see it when people can't afford to live in the neighborhood where they grew up (assuming they WANT to live there) smile.

Should we nominate pizza-boy for The Noble Pizza Prize

Last edited by MikeyO; 04/13/14 09:49 AM.
Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: dixiemafia] #772841
04/13/14 09:56 AM
04/13/14 09:56 AM
Boca Raton
NNY78 Offline
The Counselor
NNY78  Offline
The Counselor
Underboss
Boca Raton
Dixie, Because it makes the heroin a whole lot stronger. addicts wants the strongest batch they can find. When kids overdose on this stuff people line up to get some of it because it was strong enough to kill, sick I know but the way it is.

At least nine people have died or been hospitalized in New Jersey in recent months after overdosing on fentanyl-laced heroin, and law enforcement officials say they fear the potent synthetic chemical, which has been linked to dozens of deaths in the Northeast, is spreading like wildfire throughout the Garden State.

The New Jersey State Police have seen at least seven cases of seizures, overdoses or deaths from fentanyl-laced heroin in the past few weeks, said Capt. Stephen Jones, an agency spokesman. Several of those incidents occurred in Newark, said Paul Loriquet, spokesman for the Attorney General’s Office.

In Ocean County, police found the drug hidden in wax folds bearing the stamp "Bud Light" near the bodies of two people who overdosed in Point Pleasant and Seaside Heights last month, Prosecutor Joseph Coronato said.

Toxicology tests confirmed fentanyl-laced heroin in one of the victims, according to Coronato, who said he is "almost certain" the other death was also fentanyl-related.

In Cape May County, Prosecutor Robert Taylor said investigators linked fentanyl to one overdose death and three hospitalizations last summer, and drug seizures conducted by his office have turned up at least one bag of heroin that was "100 percent" fentanyl.

Fentanyl is a synthetic form of morphine used to treat cancer patients, but is also used to increase the potency of heroin, often with deadly results. It has been linked to 22 deaths in western Pennsylvania last month and 37 deaths in Maryland since September.

Heroin stamped "Bud Ice" was one of three "brands" of fentanyl-laced heroin linked to the deaths in Pennsylvania, authorities there said.

Fentanyl, which is odorless and tasteless, is especially dangerous because there is no way for a user to know if their heroin has been laced, said Carl Kotowski, special agent in charge of the Drug Enforcement Administration’s New Jersey offices.

He said he fears addicts might actually be more inclined to abuse fentanyl, which is 80 to 100 times more potent than morphine.

"It does improve the high, and that’s the sick thing about being a heroin addict."

"It does improve the high, and that’s the sick thing about being a heroin addict," he said. "Word gets around on the street that this particular batch of heroin is making people overdose and die, but that addict, even though he or she has that information, they will think that’s the good stuff. They’ll be drawn to that, even knowing, ‘Hey, that could kill me.’ "

No one is entirely sure where the fentanyl-laced heroin is coming from, though Coronato believes it was brought into Ocean County from either Trenton or Camden.

Fentanyl overdoses resulted in roughly 1,000 deaths nationwide from April 2005 to March 2007, including 86 in New Jersey, according to a report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. After that outbreak, federal investigators tracked the drug to underground labs in Mexico, Kotowski said.

While his office has not seized any fentanyl-laced heroin this year, Kotowski said Wednesday that reports of fentanyl overdoses in Newark and Cape May show the drug has spread throughout the state.

"It’s definitely out there," he said.

The drug-related death last Sunday of actor Phillip Seymour Hoffman was initially thought to be from fentanyl-laced heroin. However, police confirmed yesterday that the chemical had no role in his death, CNN reported.

Heroin abuse has skyrocketed across New Jersey in the past three years, especially among teens and people in their early 20s who were caught up in the prescription pill boom of the late 2000s. When those addicts were unable to afford drugs like oxycodone, which often costs $25 a pill, they switched to the much cheaper heroin, often sold for $5 per dose in Newark and Paterson.

The number of people between the ages 18 to 25 who sought treatment for opiate addiction jumped by 12 percent from 2010 to 2011, records show. There were 368 deaths related to heroin in the state’s 21 counties in 2011, up from 287 in 2010, according to the state medical examiner’s office.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/02...tainted_he.html

Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: LittleNicky] #772849
04/13/14 10:27 AM
04/13/14 10:27 AM
F
Flushing Offline
Capo
Flushing  Offline
F
Capo
Personally, I don't understanding the whining about gentrification. Despite the connotation all it means the area becomes wealthier, increasing the property values for local residents, lowering crime and providing a higher-tax base leading to better schools, roads and public institutions.

This whining has gotten especially bad in the bay area, where protesters apparently don't want the tech industry in the city anymore because the rents are too damn high. Which is fine, I bet every sane city in america would love that gentrification that the tech industry brings (ie wealth creation).

Why is it whining? I think it's a perfectly valid stance. Multi-generational NY'ers lived through decades of abuse. For some, it was similar to a warzone. Overnight things went from almost unlivable to almost unaffordable. Zoning laws were discarded, Whole Foods took over Key Foods, cost of living skyrocketing and now things are hard again - but for the completely opposite reason. People are getting priced out for hipsters and rich Europeans on extended vacations. Most of the folks gentrifying Bed-Stuy aren't doing it with working class grit, either. The gentrifiers seem to have an allergy to manual labor of any kind. They aren't working for $60 day rates doing hard construction like the immigrants in Corona. And SoHo is becoming French. Yes, French.

All the benefits of NYC renewal are going to people who weren't a part of its renewal.

Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: MikeyO] #772854
04/13/14 11:28 AM
04/13/14 11:28 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: MikeyO
[Should we nominate pizza-boy for The Noble Pizza Prize

You're all heart, Mikey O lol.

Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: night_timer] #772976
04/14/14 10:24 AM
04/14/14 10:24 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
I am told New York City is way safer now than it was 30 years ago. Big reason is the cameras everywhere, as soon as someone commits a crime, their picture is up on community message boards and if it's serious enough, they get their photo shown in a newspaper or on television. The police deserve credit too, they cracked down under Giuliani and Bloomberg.

Chicago and Detroit are worse than New York. This weekend in Chicago they had 36 shootings and four murders. Drug related crime is also on the rise there.

Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: night_timer] #773051
04/14/14 07:11 PM
04/14/14 07:11 PM
C
conopizza Offline
Button
conopizza  Offline
C
Button
heroin and crack both did damage, the latter were just more visible, the zombies ... fucking junkie thieves would steal any/everything they possibly could... but that's another subject. (drug delivery methods have changed the scene also, not as many whitey or $$$ going into the 'hood when they can get substance x/y/z delivered.) anyway--

1) yes NYC is generally 'safer,' especially most of Manhattan, chunks of Brooklyn, the subways.

2) that said, the specifics of Bloomturd/Kelly crime #s are bullshit, "COMPSTAT" is lies lies lies lies...

forget the downgrading of felony crimes-- very common practice-- but the # that would be instructive is NOT murders but rather the

# of shootings

particularly because trauma care is so much better than it was. Be very curious to find out how THOSE #s compare year-to-year, decade-to-decade.

I have no doubt the #s are still down-- taking away just mob-related hits cuts let's say a x dozen homicides a year-- but in the bad 'hoods... things are still bad, innocent bystanders get killed and badly wounded by asshole 'gangstas' etc

also, the newspapers suck and are more racist than ever so you hear less about these crimes, likewise, under Kelly, cops were barely allowed to speak in public so there were lots fewer stories for the few remaining REPORTERS (not glorified bloggers regurgitating the same shit from their desk) would be compelled to pursue.

p/s-- most of the cameras are bullshit. They're there, yes, mostly ignored and even when pulled... Remember that midtown hit last year, black guy (drug courier or related) whacked right on 57th St, broad daylight?

The light pole cameras etc were another Ray Kelly fraud--what # of arrests and prosecutions did they lead to? It'd also be instructive to learn who received the contracts for that crap.

Last edited by conopizza; 04/14/14 07:14 PM.
Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: night_timer] #805473
10/01/14 05:50 AM
10/01/14 05:50 AM
PNW
I
InsideLookingOut Offline
Wiseguy
InsideLookingOut  Offline
I
Wiseguy
PNW
Was the Child Sex Slave Industry around back in the 70's and 80's (when NYC was pretty dangerous)?

To me that is scarier than potentially being shot or stabbed for being the wrong guy in the wrong place.

Knowing a tiny bit about Aryan Brotherhood, sex-slave abduction is a danger in every city.
Everytime I see a flyer for a missing girl I think of the book, SOLD by Patricia McCormack (every parent and aunt/uncle ought to read SOLD)

So I guess what I'm trying to say is: If this sex-slave problem was around back then and is still around today then I would vote older NYC as more dangerous.

Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: night_timer] #805526
10/01/14 10:32 AM
10/01/14 10:32 AM
NY
B
blacksheep Offline
Underboss
blacksheep  Offline
B
Underboss
NY
I made a post recently about the changes in Manhattan specifically, and my feelings are mixed. I guess it is a better place for wealthy people to sip their lattes and walk their little dogs around the park, but that tough element is gone. Might sound good to some people, but that toughness used to define NYers. Now I could pop a paper bag in the park and little 21 year old hipsters without a line on their face or a blister on their hands will drop their Starbucks and scream like babies. It might make for a better safer life, but the city doesn't feel like it did when I was younger. I guess it's dumb for me in a way, but NY people seem weak today. It's like u don't even need street smarts to make it anymore. I'm just a nostalgic guy I suppose. I want a piece of that back. But like the old school guys told me in my other thread, you can't go back so you just live in the present.

** before PB kicks my ass for my post, I will clarify that NY changed completely when I was barely out of my teens, so I'm not 100% cut from the old cloth, and I wasn't usually a full time NYC resident, but because of my family, I got to see a lot at an early age. So the old NY left an imprint on me that will probably never go away. I'm making no claims to be more authentic than guys like PB or footreads or the guys who really lived thru old NY in their adult years. It's just nostalgia for me.

Last edited by blacksheep; 10/01/14 10:43 AM.

Make that coffee to go
Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: night_timer] #805552
10/01/14 01:07 PM
10/01/14 01:07 PM
P
padrone Offline
Made Member
padrone  Offline
P
Made Member
For a while my father had a place on West 46th Street on Restaurant Row. It was a decent immediate area but walk to Times Square or certain parts of Hell's Kitchen and it got scary. In High School my father would let me stay out till whenever and I would take friends to Times Square, this was late 80's early 90's and you were either crazy or stupid for hanging out there at 2 AM on a Saturday Night. (We were stupid). You had the peep shows that would let you in at 15, bars that would serve you, black gangs like the Decepticons walking around, The Lost Tribe of the Isrealites, hustlers, pimps, cheap hookers, guys selling stolen/ knockoff jewelry It was truly a freak show but we had a blast. When Rudy got elected the place seemed to change overnight and became Disneyland. It was a tourist trap then just like it is now, but definatly does not have the same appeal for a teenage boy that it once did. Does anyone here remember the peepshows? You would put a quarter or token in, a sliding piece of wood would go up and there would be girls walking around topless and they would come over to the window for about five seconds and try to get you to pay extra to grab them and the window would go back down.

Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: night_timer] #805573
10/01/14 02:32 PM
10/01/14 02:32 PM
M
Mandamenti Offline
Associate
Mandamenti  Offline
M
Associate
Google image search *South Bronx 70s* - it looks like Germany after WWII. And it surely didn't look much better in Harlem etc. At that time there were people starving - in NYC. There were districts where nine out of ten died an unnatural death, from murder, overdose, rat bites, etc.
The transformation NYC went through has to be one of the most impressive the world has ever witnessed. Interestingly, other parts of the US took the exact opposite route. Detroit was once the greatest manufacturing city in the entire world, today half of its population is "functionally illiterate" (not making that up...).

Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: night_timer] #805582
10/01/14 03:18 PM
10/01/14 03:18 PM
Hudson County NJ
D
DB Offline
Underboss
DB  Offline
D
Underboss
Hudson County NJ
The police have really cracked down on pills , big time , and they have become much harder to get so heroin abuse is up a boatload . LE are making huge busts these days and it is having almost no effect , that's how much heroin is getting into the US these days .

I believe Camden , Paterson and Newark have the most potent heroin in the area today and those cities are probably most dangerous in the area .

Still tho there was nothing close from a crime perspective than the crack epidemic in the 80s and early 90.

I was in NYC a lot in the early to mid 90s because you could do anything , I used to get served alcohol with braces , girls offering BJs everywhere for $15 to $20, it was nuts . I think the highest NYC murder rate was that year in 1993.

Due to developers , NYC has changed and a lot of the poorer sections have been moved out but the hoods that remain are as dangerous as ever , there is a major gang problem in poorer areas in NYC and NJ . Blood secs everywhere and they are lethal.

Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: padrone] #805589
10/01/14 04:27 PM
10/01/14 04:27 PM
leftygun62 Offline
Made Member
leftygun62  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: padrone
For a while my father had a place on West 46th Street on Restaurant Row. It was a decent immediate area but walk to Times Square or certain parts of Hell's Kitchen and it got scary. In High School my father would let me stay out till whenever and I would take friends to Times Square, this was late 80's early 90's and you were either crazy or stupid for hanging out there at 2 AM on a Saturday Night. (We were stupid). You had the peep shows that would let you in at 15, bars that would serve you, black gangs like the Decepticons walking around, The Lost Tribe of the Isrealites, hustlers, pimps, cheap hookers, guys selling stolen/ knockoff jewelry It was truly a freak show but we had a blast. When Rudy got elected the place seemed to change overnight and became Disneyland. It was a tourist trap then just like it is now, but definatly does not have the same appeal for a teenage boy that it once did. Does anyone here remember the peepshows? You would put a quarter or token in, a sliding piece of wood would go up and there would be girls walking around topless and they would come over to the window for about five seconds and try to get you to pay extra to grab them and the window would go back down.

I remember vividly my first time entering those peep shows at age 15! My buddies and I had never seen anything like it and vowed to come back the next night with more cash. A little later one of us was robbed at knife point so that ended that idea.

Looking back, it was crazy how the whole west side around the post office was a
sea of hookers and pimps

Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: night_timer] #805608
10/01/14 05:57 PM
10/01/14 05:57 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Believe it or not with my job I do have to take painkillers because of a spinal condition. Just a fact of life for me and I function perfectly on them. Like you said DB, LE is NOT the only ones cracking down. Used to I would go see my pain doctor and get 3 months worth of meds all on one script, my normal 120 pain pills plus 2 refills. Not anymore. Even Hydrocodone has been bumped up to where you can't have refills anymore. Of course I don't take them, I went from Hydro to Percocets and now on Opana (Oxymorphone) which is pretty hardcore in itself but believe it or not I don't get the high feeling with these like you would sometimes on the Percocets (I don't want to feel high, I want to be pain free). People think I'm crazy doing my job like this but they think about getting pain pills after surgery or something when your body has no tolerance and you are dopey for 3-4 hours. Hell I got to take one to get out of bed lol

As some of you know my Grandmother was born and raised in Camden until she met my Grandfather after WWII (he was Navy and was there during ship repairs) and I still talk to my cousins there and he laughed the first time I said I wanted to visit Camden. He said "son it's a freaking war zone there now, you don't want to be caught in Camden" as he was born in the 30's so he's seen it go from a great place to a freaking dump and moved out. I think he is in Pine Hill now. We owned a brickyard in Camden at one point before it went away around the turn of the 1900's.

Last edited by dixiemafia; 10/01/14 06:00 PM.
Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: night_timer] #805635
10/02/14 02:58 AM
10/02/14 02:58 AM
Boca Raton
NNY78 Offline
The Counselor
NNY78  Offline
The Counselor
Underboss
Boca Raton
The heroin business is booming in PA

Heroin Easier to Get than Wine and Cheaper than Beer in PA

Bags of dope are being sold for as little as $5 in the Keystone State.

By Desiree Bowie

10/01/14

A shocking investigative report released last Tuesday revealed that is easier for young people in Pennsylvania to buy heroin than a bottle of wine, and that the price of heroin is cheaper than a six-pack of beer.

Since 1990, the number of overdose deaths has consistently risen in rural areas of the state. As of 2011, the state has experienced 13 deaths per every 100,000 citizens, the Center for Rural Pennsylvania reported.

“Heroin is cheaper and easier for young people to obtain than alcohol,” said State Sen. Gene Yaw, the Republican chairman of the center, a joint legislative state agency.

In Pennsylvania, Yaw said a small packet of heroin costs between $5 and $10, and delivers a high lasting four to five hours. The report, based on evidence submitted in hearings across the state this summer, listed Cambria County in central Pennsylvania as having the highest overdose death rate outside of Philadelphia, 22.6 deaths per 100,000 population. That is equal to Philadelphia’s drug death rate, the report said.

Yaw suggested Cambria County’s drug death rate was not caused by any special factors, but state Representative Bryan Barbin, a Democrat, was not quite as sure. Barbin said Johnstown is easily accessible from heroin distribution centers like the city of Baltimore. Dealing heroin is an attractive career option for those with few economic prospects, he said, especially those with drug crime records.

The report asked for a number of legislative actions, including making it easier to prosecute dealers whose clients die of overdoses. The report also called for a "Good Samaritan" law assuring that people who seek help for overdose victims will not face criminal charges. According to the report, putting more addicts in jail will not solve the problem.

State Representative Richard Marabito, a Democrat, said Pennsylvania has about 760,000 residents with addiction problems, but that only about 52,000 are receiving treatment. Only one in eight addicts can be helped with existing state resources, the report said.

http://www.thefix.com/content/heroin-easier-get-wine-and-cheaper-beer-pa

Re: New York then and now - is it safer these days? [Re: night_timer] #806100
10/04/14 07:03 AM
10/04/14 07:03 AM
Boca Raton
NNY78 Offline
The Counselor
NNY78  Offline
The Counselor
Underboss
Boca Raton
Some good stuff on NYC back in the day. Do you NYC guys remember the Joe Franklin Show?

Hotel Claridge: Lucky Luciano’s, Meyer Lansky’s and Frank Costello’s Headquarters 1500 Broadway

September 19, 2014 by Infamous New York

They called themselves the Broadway mob. Members of the gang rubbed shoulders with high society, supplying the most exclusive speakeasies in New York with top-shelf, uncut booze. From their offices at the now demolished Hotel Claridge, located at 1500 Broadway, Meyer Lansky, Lucky Luciano, Bugsy Segal and Frank Costello would go from street gang to the masters of dry New York, making themselves multi-millionaires in the process.

Read more
http://infamousnewyork.com/page/2/

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull