GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (m2w), 294 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,538
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,996
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,357
Posts1,059,171
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2483
02/19/03 11:46 PM
02/19/03 11:46 PM
Michigan
Hollywood Hagan Offline OP
Underboss
Hollywood Hagan  Offline OP
Underboss
Michigan
Perhaps I'm overlooking something BIG, but what exactly did Fredo do? I can only assume because he says "I swear I didn't know it was a hit" that he is telling the truth. So what exactly did he do??

And who guns down the two gunmen that were found in the ditch? It had to be someone that knew that the hit failed, and supposedly Fredo didn't know about the hit. Also, I can't picture Fredo gunning anyone down.

Do you think he was lying and that he knew it was going to be a hit and that he wanted to take control of the family?

After years and years of being a Godfather fanatic, I never took the time to analyze it until I joined this BB. I just assumed that Fredo was duped into opening Mike up to be killed unknowingly, but that seems unlikely now...

J! E! T! S! Jets! Jets! Jets!
Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2484
02/20/03 12:06 AM
02/20/03 12:06 AM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
I believe he was duped. How could he have willingly killed his brother. We all saw how badly affected he was when Vito was shot. How could he KNOWINGLY kill his brother, it would have torn him to pieces as it did Mike killing Fredo. As for the other gunmen, perhaps there were more people on the inside than we know, or maybe it was a mistake that Coppola and Puzo didnt want to bother fixing.

Don Ferro

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2485
02/20/03 12:07 AM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Made Hagen? I didnt know, congrats on the new rank, I hope to be there soon, Nice new advar too.

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2486
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
What got things going down hill for Fredo, is when he got caught in the lie about knowing Johnny Ola. Michael suspected Roth of tryin to assasinate him, and Johnny Ola was his man. Combined with this Fredo's little speech in the boat house, about how he was passed over, yadda yadda yadda, Michael proably saw him as a threat down the line as potential enemy.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2487
02/20/03 12:13 AM
02/20/03 12:13 AM
Illinois
Leslie Offline
Wiseguy
Leslie  Offline
Wiseguy
Illinois
Most of your questions have been discussed here previously. We can only speculate what Fredo might have done, because the movie choose not to explain. He may have been the one to open the drapes in Michael's bedroom, or he unknowingly gave access to Michael's house to the person who did open the drapes. We know Fredo was dissatisfied with his place in the family. In the deleted scene were he and that trampy wife arrive at Anthony's party, trampy wife says "why are you afraid of your own kid brother"? The look on Fredo's face when he replies "because he's the head of the family" says a lot about his anger about his place in the family. He lied about knowing Johnny Ola. We don't know who killed the hitmen. I doubt if it was Fredo and so on and so on and so on.

Do a search and you will find many topics on this subject.

Yeah, I left it noisy, scares away any pain-in the-ass innocent bystanders.

Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2488
02/20/03 03:37 AM
02/20/03 03:37 AM
Michigan
Hollywood Hagan Offline OP
Underboss
Hollywood Hagan  Offline OP
Underboss
Michigan
Leslie you are right, I did the search and this has been talked about many times before. But like in this thread, no one has a definite answer. I suppose he could have been the one to open the drapes, but he would have to be VERY stupid not to suspect anything. I know that he was involved with Roth and Ola (duh?!) but I want to know EXACTLY the role he had in it. I can't figure it out, and I'd like to see the opinions of others on the BB. I suppose Ola or his men could have killed the 2 gunmen, but weren't Mike's Family the only ones there after the party? This would mean it would have to be Fredo (or his men, but this is never stated. it looks like a solo operation as far as Fredo is concerned). This leads me to believe that Fredo knew it was a hit; it also contradicts with the rest of the film, in which Fredo knew nothing about it. In my opinion, this is the only fault with this film: they never state what Fredo "did"!

BTW, Don Ferro, thanks for the compliments. Alexander Supalov had the same avatar, and it kept making my head spin when he would reply to me. eek So I went with this one, and changed my sig to boot! And I feel like a new man now that I'm a "made member". cool

J! E! T! S! Jets! Jets! Jets!
Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2489
02/20/03 10:06 AM
02/20/03 10:06 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
HH, this is one of those film puzzles that just gives us food for speculation. Fredo's involvement could have been as simple as telling J.O. which room was Mike's, or opening the drapes, or giving them some other insider info, but we're not privy to it. The only thing we know is that Fredo told Mike that Johnny told him Mike was being tough on the negotiations and if he could help out. Michael didn't even ask Fredo for specifics.

And how did those hitmen from NY get on the property. After many viewings and to complete a piece of the puzzle, I "supposed" they came in the boat that we see slowly cutting across the lake in the night. If you remember the scene, it is after dark at Anthony's party. There is a shot from the water, looking on shore at the lights, and a silouette of a small motorboat is seen coming from left to right....those were the hitmen!!! At least that's the scenario I came up with. ohwell

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2490
02/20/03 11:22 AM
02/20/03 11:22 AM
dubuque
T
traci Offline
Associate
traci  Offline
T
Associate
dubuque
My feeling is that Fredo knew exactly what he was involving himself in. That was why he was so upset when he told Mike how he got involved- because he never thought he'd have to face his living brother. Sort of like Carlo. Michael knew all along that Carlo was involved in Sonny's death but it wasn't until the end that Carlo finally admitted it. And I think that is why Mike told Fredo that he was nothing to him anymore because he took sides against him. My feeling is that all evidence points to Fredo being invloved in the actual hit. As far as the hitmen go, my guess is that they were killed because "deadmen tell no tales."

Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2491
02/20/03 11:52 AM
02/20/03 11:52 AM
Alexander Supalov Offline
Underboss
Alexander Supalov  Offline
Underboss
Hi!

Originally posted by MaryCas:
There is a shot from the water, looking on shore at the lights, and a silouette of a small motorboat is seen coming from left to right....those were the hitmen!!!
I have always supposed - rather inflexibly - that this was one of Corleones' patrol boats. Gee, you may be right - sneaking in like one of them under the cover of darkness... And the music in that scene - not exactly jolly, and now we may know why.

Great idea!

Best regards.

Alexander

You may wish to browse this GF FAQ of mine before putting forward another frequently asked question.
Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2492
02/20/03 12:19 PM
02/20/03 12:19 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
This is an interesting question. I still go with Fredo being fooled into thinking by helping Roth, "there would be something in it for him". I think we are all in agreement that Fredo wasnt the sharpest knife in the drawer. When approached by Roth he didnt have the farsight to see what helping Roth would entail. Afterall this is a guy whose big job was to pickup people at the airport and run mickey mouse nightclubs.
By the way, even though abbreviations are acceptable on the board, I would like my favorite (Johnny Ola), referred to with his full name and not his Initials (J.O.) lol lol lol Thank you......

Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2493
02/20/03 11:59 PM
02/20/03 11:59 PM
Illinois
Leslie Offline
Wiseguy
Leslie  Offline
Wiseguy
Illinois
I do not believe Fredo knew it would be a hit. I believe his speech in the boathouse. I don't think he was lying to Michael. The phone call he received after the attempt also reinforces this when he says "you guys lied to me". I believe he had a momentary feeling of self importance when Johnny Ola approached him about helping with the "negotiations".

Fredo may have been instrumental in getting Johnny Ola the meeting with Michael on the day of Anthony's party, and the hitmen were unknowlingly allowed on the property as part of Johnny Ola's entourage.

As for who killed the hitmen. If we look at the history of gangland slayings, we know that hitmen are often killed after a failed hit, sometimes even a successful one. You f-up...you get clipped. They were probably killed by a third higher-ranking hitman who was with them. Granted in real-life the bodies are not usually found at the scene of the hit, but that was just a good ole plot device.

...ya gotta get up close like this and BADA BING blow their brains all over your nice ivy league suit.

Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2494
02/21/03 12:03 AM
02/21/03 12:03 AM
No where
B
Boss_of_bosses Offline
Underboss
Boss_of_bosses  Offline
B
Underboss
No where
I have to assume that Johnny's Men killed the assassins be4 the Corleone Button Men can capture them. Nobody likes Squealers

Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2495
02/21/03 01:52 AM
02/21/03 01:52 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Well, this is the Great Mystery of the Boards, given how often the topic has come up. We'll never know for sure, and that's part of the fun of being a GF Trilogy nut. I'll offer a few guesses :
--Fredo probably knew it was gonna be a hit, and may have helped by opening the bedroom curtains so that the shooters would have a better shot. Yeah, he's weak and stupid, and is "so sweet," seems like an unlikely fraticide. But note the venon he hurls against Michael in the boathouse scene: the mark of a guy with a serious grudge.
--The dead shooters may have been with the Rosato Brothers. They're not recognized (so they can't be Johnny Ola's men), and they're "out of New York," which is where the Rosatos operated. Roth may have convinced the Rosatos, with whom he was allied, to supply the shooters. Then Roth probably arranged for the shooters to be killed.
--Who shot the shooters? No idea. Notice that, after the alarm goes off, you briefly see gates being closed and a car screeching away. That car could have been a Corleone security car about to patrol the estate, or perhaps the shooters escaping. I doubt that they were Johnny Ola's men: too risky to leave them behind for that job.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2496
02/21/03 06:49 AM
02/21/03 06:49 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Originally posted by Turnbull:
[QB]--Fredo probably knew it was gonna be a hit [QB]
I must respectfully disagree with you TB, and go along with Leslie on this one.

I take it at complete face value when Fredo tells Mike "I didn't know it was gonna be a hit". But even if you want to discount that statement because he had incentive to lie to Mike, his statements to Ola ("You guys lied to me...you got me in enough trouble already"), to whom he had no reason to lie, cannot be discounted.

The more important question for me, as many of you know, is "Who killed the assasins?"

Again, taking certain character's statements at face value is one device a screenwriter uses to move the plot along. When Mike says to Tom something like (not the exact quote, here) "Unless I'm mistaken, they're dead already...killed by someone close, inside, afraid because they (the killers) botched it", I believe we are meant to think Michael is 100% correct in his analysis. And since, IMO, it is ridiculous to think that Fredo killed them, there is the inference of traitorous conduct by someone other than Fredo.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2497
02/21/03 02:05 PM
02/21/03 02:05 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Johnny Ola, please forgive me, no disrespect intended with J.O. wink . Dominic Chianese is my favorite Soprano, love your avatar. I tried to save on my typing, hence the J.O., but I never thought "Ola" was a good Italian name for the film. Almost sounds like you're saying Hello in Spanish. Adios. smile

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2498
02/21/03 02:23 PM
02/21/03 02:23 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
MaryCas, no offense taken, its something I have had to live with all my live with those intials. My brother had it worse, He Brian Joseph, so you can imagine the fun the kids had with his intials lol lol lol

Gee I always thought Ola was a perfect Italian surname. Most Italian names have many vowels in them, and always end in a vowel. I think our name was shortened from Viola.... grin grin grin

Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2499
02/24/03 06:02 PM
02/24/03 06:02 PM
ottawa, canada
fanucci rocks Offline
Wiseguy
fanucci rocks  Offline
Wiseguy
ottawa, canada
From what I see, I think that Fredo smuggled in the assassins by boat (hence Lake Tahoe). He probably was the one also who killed the assaassins, so that no one would know that he was the traitor.

I am the greatest.
Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2500
02/24/03 06:03 PM
02/24/03 06:03 PM
ottawa, canada
fanucci rocks Offline
Wiseguy
fanucci rocks  Offline
Wiseguy
ottawa, canada
From what I see, I think that Fredo smuggled in the assassins by boat (hence Lake Tahoe). He probably was the one also who killed the assaassins, so that no one would know that he was the traitor.

I am the greatest.
Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2501
02/24/03 09:39 PM
02/24/03 09:39 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
And what exactly do you think the scenario was where weak, stupid Fredo, who bobbled his gun the day his father was shot, killed two hired assasins?

And don't you take his statements "I didn't know it was gonna be a hit (to Mike)" and "You lied to me" and "You guys got me in enough trouble already (to Ola)" at face value? Fredo was no killer; I think he opened the drapes, but that's about it.

Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2502
02/24/03 10:10 PM
02/24/03 10:10 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
That's exactly the way I feel P. Lawrence. I don't know if he opened the drapes, but all the statements you mentioned by Fredo, I think, were said aincerely. He could never intentionally have any family member killed. smile

True, maybe he was stupid/naive for not thinking it would be a hit, but that's Fredo! I still don't know for sure who killed the assassins at Tahoe, but again, I don't think Fredo had it in him to kill anyone!!

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2503
02/24/03 10:31 PM
02/24/03 10:31 PM
Illinois
Leslie Offline
Wiseguy
Leslie  Offline
Wiseguy
Illinois
Michael, why are the drapes open.

I can't imagine Kay getting ready for bed with the drapes open. Considering there are supposed to be security guards patroling the compound. So I can only assume that when she laid down they were closed. But how someone could get in there and open such a wide expanse of drapes without waking her is hard to believe. Yet she is surprised to see them open. Fredo did not know it would be a hit, he did not open the drapes. That line adds fuel to a fire that can't be put out.

Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2504
02/25/03 05:56 AM
02/25/03 05:56 AM
Alexander Supalov Offline
Underboss
Alexander Supalov  Offline
Underboss
Hi!

Originally posted by fanucci rocks:
Two assassins with submachineguns had their throats slit. Unless they ran out of ammo, which is unlikely, one man had very, very slim chances to pull this trick alone.

And I doubt that Fredo was in a position to do this assisted either. This must have been two other men - or one Rambo, if we turn to fairy stories.

Best regards.

Alexander

You may wish to browse this GF FAQ of mine before putting forward another frequently asked question.
Re: What EXACTLY did Fredo do?? #2505
02/25/03 07:17 AM
02/25/03 07:17 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Originally posted by Leslie:
I can't imagine Kay getting ready for bed with the drapes open.
Excellent point, Leslie. No matter who opened them, or was supposed to have opened them.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull