GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 537 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,081
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,372
Posts1,059,535
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
You're out, Tom. #768904
03/20/14 02:42 PM
03/20/14 02:42 PM
J
JacobJ Offline OP
Associate
JacobJ  Offline OP
J
Associate
I've heard many different explanations for why Michael replaced Tom with Vito for consigliere.

The first one I've heard was Vito was dying and getting old and Michael wanted to use his wisdom as much as possible.
The second one I've heard was Tom wasn't a wartime consigliere, but his face of disappointment when that was announced almost convinced me he had the ability. Or did that mean he was vulnerable to getting attacked?
But the best one I've heard was how he was testing Toms loyalty, especially after the betrayals in the family.

What do you guys think? Tom is one of my favorite characters.

Re: You're out, Tom. [Re: JacobJ] #768911
03/20/14 02:57 PM
03/20/14 02:57 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: JacobJ
I've heard many different explanations for why Michael replaced Tom with Vito for consigliere.

The first one I've heard was Vito was dying and getting old and Michael wanted to use his wisdom as much as possible.
The second one I've heard was Tom wasn't a wartime consigliere, but his face of disappointment when that was announced almost convinced me he had the ability. Or did that mean he was vulnerable to getting attacked?
But the best one I've heard was how he was testing Toms loyalty, especially after the betrayals in the family.

What do you guys think? Tom is one of my favorite characters.

There is a little truth in all the theories you espoused. There is an ongoing sibling rivalry between Michael and Tom that went back at lease as far as December 7 1941 when Pearl Harbor was attacked and Mike signed up for the Marines. At that time he was livid at Tom for discussing his future with Vito. There is also a foreshadowing of Michael's concerns about Tom as consigliere during the wedding scene when he tells Kay that Tom is in line to be consigliere. He makes it a point to say he is a good lawyer, but not a Sicilian. In fact
Tom was not a wartime consigliere. He was always trying to settle things and compromise. Santino complained to him about this and so did Michael. In the end, I think Michael trusted him but he was always testing him and using his position to belittle him. Still he trusted tom with the fact that he was going after the heads of the five families, how to deal with Geary and how to settle things with Frank Pentangeli.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: You're out, Tom. [Re: JacobJ] #768914
03/20/14 03:18 PM
03/20/14 03:18 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Basically, I agree with DT. However, Michael also blamed Tom for not protecting the family: Sonny's murder and Vito's near murder. That's why Tom was not a wartime Consigliere.

As DT points out, Michael tells Kay at the wedding, Tom will become Consigliere although he's not Sicilian (he also unnecessarily tells Kay Tom's last name although that may be a way for Michael to inform the audience about how Tom became a family member). In II Michael tells Ola that Tom only handles certain parts of the family's business. Later in II Michael reveals Tom's having a mistress. Of course, the flashback scene says it all: "You talked to my father about my future ... my future."

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: You're out, Tom. [Re: JacobJ] #768919
03/20/14 03:38 PM
03/20/14 03:38 PM
J
JacobJ Offline OP
Associate
JacobJ  Offline OP
J
Associate
Tom and Oli, very true, I can see it now. I always found michaels and toms relationship to be blurry. Sonny's and toms was my favorite one though. Or the dons love to his son Michael.

Re: You're out, Tom. [Re: JacobJ] #768933
03/20/14 04:55 PM
03/20/14 04:55 PM
New York, NY
Questadt Offline
Button
Questadt  Offline
Button
New York, NY
I agree that the best answer is probably a bit of all three explanations - although strictly speaking, Michael could have kept Tom as consigliere, at least officially, and continued to receive all the counsel from Vito that he needed, and thereby have the best of both worlds.

Fundamentally, however, I think it's because Tom in fact was not a wartime consigliere. Tom seems to have been a superb analyst and strategist. But he was basically a gentleman by temperament - notwithstanding the dirty deeds he'd done. He simply didn't possess the killer instinct of the Corleones.

"A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns."
Re: You're out, Tom. [Re: Questadt] #768990
03/20/14 09:12 PM
03/20/14 09:12 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Yes to all of the above, plus one more:

Michael was planning for the family to move to Nevada. He needed Tom out of harm's way--and in no way associated with the violence to come--so he could function as the family's legitimate front in setting things up in Nevada.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: You're out, Tom. [Re: JacobJ] #769014
03/20/14 11:35 PM
03/20/14 11:35 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Also, don't forget that the peace Vito made was about to be violated and Tom had been part of the peace making. That's why Vito told him "there are reasons why you must have no part in what is going to happen."

Re: You're out, Tom. [Re: JacobJ] #769043
03/21/14 09:30 AM
03/21/14 09:30 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
While I agree that all the theories above have merit, I think a major factor not yet mentioned was Michael's personality.

It was not in Michael's controlling nature to work in consultation with someone else.

He doesn't actually replace Tom with Vito as consigliere, he basically eliminated the position.

His words are telling: "If I ever need help, who's a getter consigliere than my father?"

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: You're out, Tom. [Re: The Last Woltz] #769074
03/21/14 02:40 PM
03/21/14 02:40 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Yes W, that statement from Michael was telling. As II & III illustrate, Michael apparently did eliminate the consigliere position.

Re: You're out, Tom. [Re: olivant] #769221
03/22/14 11:20 AM
03/22/14 11:20 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: olivant
Yes W, that statement from Michael was telling. As II & III illustrate, Michael apparently did eliminate the consigliere position.

At least Tom was a "peace time consigliere." What the hell was George Hamilton?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: You're out, Tom. [Re: dontomasso] #769230
03/22/14 12:40 PM
03/22/14 12:40 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
What the hell was George Hamilton?

He was hired to consult Michael on a new venture: opening a chain of tanning salons.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: You're out, Tom. [Re: JacobJ] #769311
03/23/14 12:20 AM
03/23/14 12:20 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
Michael wanted to have his own appointment in that position, and felt the need to distance Tom from the illegal aspects of the organization and instead focus on getting them deeper into legitimate businesses. He did not want Tom as a lawyer representing their legal businesses to be tied to any crimes.

Re: You're out, Tom. [Re: JacobJ] #774909
04/30/14 09:59 AM
04/30/14 09:59 AM
Capo_Clemenza Offline
Associate
Capo_Clemenza  Offline
Associate
In the book it explains why he did what he did to Tom but also in the book he put him back in the position after everything was settled. Two was strictly movie and so was 3. I'm going to look through the book again brush up on what happened. Been a while.

Re: You're out, Tom. [Re: JacobJ] #788604
07/12/14 03:28 AM
07/12/14 03:28 AM
C
CarlWilliams Offline
Associate
CarlWilliams  Offline
C
Associate
Tom was taken out form being Consigliere for a few reasons.

1. Things were going to get rough, don't want him being hurt.
2. He isn't a war time Consigliere, sure he can fight a war but if you want to use the skills of tom Hagen efficiently send him to do the legit family business.
3. When your planning something like they were the less people who know the better. Even someone they trust like tom. Although he figured it all out anyway because although he wasn't a Sicilian Vito had made him one.
4. I always thought a part of it was, tom was with the don when he made the peace so in a way tom was a party to the peace.

Michael did have complete trust and confidence in tom Hagen, you can see when the don has died and they are about to go to war he makes tom hang around. Pretty much reinstalling as Consigliere.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull