GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 246 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,323
Posts1,058,597
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
sonny threatening to rat out don vito? #51178
09/07/06 07:10 PM
09/07/06 07:10 PM
L
LeroyBrown Offline OP
Wiseguy
LeroyBrown  Offline OP
L
Wiseguy
...you know the part where vito is berating young sonny for being involved in a robbery and suddenly sonny springs the news on his father that he witnessed the killing of fanucci and his dad's disposal of the gun he used? quite a revelation. i wonder, was sonny actually threatening his his dad in some tacit way with his knowledge of the information? you'll notice how as soon as sonny tells his father he knows he killed fanucci, vito immediately backs down from reprimanding him and commences to bring him under his wing in the family business. was vito threatened by his son's knowledge, that he could possibly use it against him? is that why he retreated from scolding sonny?

my movie ideas: www.callumhouston.com

Re: sonny threatening to rat out don vito? #51179
09/07/06 08:23 PM
09/07/06 08:23 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
I doubt a man such as Vito Corleone would feel threatened in any way by one of his own children.

The most likely reason he backed off...was that as a father he could not seriously reprimand for robbery a son who he now knows watched him kill a man in cold blood.

Kind've difficult to lay down the law under such circumstances.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: sonny threatening to rat out don vito? #51180
09/09/06 12:26 PM
09/09/06 12:26 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:

Apple
Agreed, Apple. But I felt that Vito, given his personal force, gave up a bit too early on Sonny with that line, "Well, I can't tell you how to behave" or somesuch. One possibility is that Puzo needed an opening for his famous line, "Don't you want to be a lawyer? A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a thousand men with guns." Another is that he had plenty of opportunity to witness Sonny's development, and had already concluded that he wasn't exactly college material. rolleyes

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: sonny threatening to rat out don vito? #51181
09/09/06 11:51 PM
09/09/06 11:51 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
True...but I feel that the realization that his son knew he was a murder was somehow humbling to Vito. Once that was out in the open, he really had nowhere to go with Sonny. You can't exactly preach 'Well, just because I killed somebody doesn't mean you should go out & commit robbery. Anyway son, you shouldn't have followed me around...'

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: sonny threatening to rat out don vito? #51182
09/10/06 06:51 PM
09/10/06 06:51 PM
L
LeroyBrown Offline OP
Wiseguy
LeroyBrown  Offline OP
L
Wiseguy
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
[b]

Apple
Agreed, Apple. But I felt that Vito, given his personal force, gave up a bit too early on Sonny with that line, "Well, I can't tell you how to behave" or somesuch. One possibility is that Puzo needed an opening for his famous line, "Don't you want to be a lawyer? A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a thousand men with guns." Another is that he had plenty of opportunity to witness Sonny's development, and had already concluded that he wasn't exactly college material. rolleyes [/b]
...yes, vito seemed to back down from sonny very quickly leading me to believe vito feared sonny and decided to pay off his silence by involving him in the family operations...

check out my movie ideas: www.callumhouston.com

Re: sonny threatening to rat out don vito? #51183
09/10/06 07:00 PM
09/10/06 07:00 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Vito Corleone did not fear Santino...nor did he fear being 'ratted on' by Santino.

And even if Sonny were capable of turning over his father...which he was not...how exactly would he do this? Run to police headquarters and explain how a few years back when he was just a kid he followed his pop around and watched him kill a guy?

Due to among other things his father's connections with the police, judges and local politicians...the likely reaction would be a pat on the head and a suggestion to run along home to the mall.

Vito had no such fear; that is NOT the reason he backed down.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: sonny threatening to rat out don vito? [Re: AppleOnYa] #414114
07/12/07 09:10 AM
07/12/07 09:10 AM
W
wtwt5237 Offline
Made Member
wtwt5237  Offline
W
Made Member
They were opposites (at that moment). But I never doubt Sonny's love for Vito.

One has only one destiny, he cannot choose it.
Re: sonny threatening to rat out don vito? [Re: wtwt5237] #414155
07/12/07 11:06 AM
07/12/07 11:06 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Despite what Vito wanted for Michael, he had no illusions about he or his sons pursuing a legitimate way of life. Even for Michael, he wanted a legitimate life that would aid and abet his criminal way of life. Like he told him, "you would be the one to pull the strings."

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull