GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (TheKillingJoke, 1 invisible), 56 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,136
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,785
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Al Capone was a nice guy surviving relative claim #764774
02/20/14 10:46 AM
02/20/14 10:46 AM
A
abc123 Offline OP
Underboss
abc123  Offline OP
A
Underboss
http://www.sundayworld.com/top-stories/c...relative-claims

Al Capone was a 'nice guy' - last surviving relative claims.

Al Capone, one of the most infamous gangsters in the 20th century was in fact ‘a nice guy’ who is simply misunderstood, his niece now claims.

In the Untold Story of their family, niece, Diedre Marie Capone, the last surviving relative of Al Capone says that it is important to rewrite the legacy of one of the most feared gangsters of the last century.

‘They created an image which was not real’, his surviving relative claims, arguing that the infamous tax evasion trial and subsequent movies suggest a very different character to the real Al Capone, his niece says.

“Hollywood knew that there would be worldwide publicity of that trail so they came out with three motion pictures. One was called Little Caesar. One was called Al Capone and Public Enemy Number one was the third one and so they created this image that really was not real”, she says.

The reality, she says, was that “Al Capone and his customers cooperated in evading Prohibition until near its end when, in the author’s opinion, moneyed interests disposed of him so they could again sell booze legally”.

She has a point that Capone did indeed transform life for many workers particularly for families. He was the first person to introduce dates on fresh food stuffs and while he certainly used this to control the milk market it did transform the market in fresh food for city workers.

Previously, milk a staple was adulterated with all kind of substances until Capone brought standards to the industry that survives to this day.

Yes, Capone made a fortune out of his speak-easies but he also set up soup kitchens to help the poor in the depression that had millions flock to the big cities in the U.S. as the pan handle of the deep south was decimated by a drought and poverty.

But for all his criminality many including his niece would suggest that his biggest claim to fame should be his work on improving the sale and distribution of milk and moved into the industry.

It was he who had the Chicago City Council pass a law saying that milk had to be stamped with an expiration date to protect customers in a move that all consumer champions would be proud of.

one!

Re: Al Capone was a nice guy surviving relative claim [Re: abc123] #764780
02/20/14 11:30 AM
02/20/14 11:30 AM
S
slumpy Offline
Capo
slumpy  Offline
S
Capo
Just goes to show that there are very few people who fall into one of two categories: Good and bad. You can break the law and (in my humble opinion) still be a good person.

However, that said, This article sort of fails to address the fact that he wasn't "just" illegally selling booze, he was also engaging in violent turf wars that ended in the murder of many.

So while setting up soup kitchens and improving the quality demanded by food regulations is all well and good (and I think we can all agree, there is a degree of altruism there), he was still a murderous thug.

It's all about duality. To his niece, I'm sure he seemed like a real lovely guy who was misunderstood - Try asking the peoples' families who had sons and daughters were murdered in the name of dollars and booze.

Anyway, that's my perspective.

Last edited by slumpy; 02/20/14 11:32 AM.
Re: Al Capone was a nice guy surviving relative claim [Re: abc123] #764845
02/20/14 04:15 PM
02/20/14 04:15 PM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline
T
Underboss
new jersey
Capone never killed anyone that was't trying to kill him first, everybody has the right to self-defense, and I'm tired of people talking about the family members of the murder victims that's left behind, no one is innocent in this game

"McGurn likes you, so I make you. So you are now one of us, if you fuck up, we take it out on McGurn. He is your sponsor. Fuck up, it's his ass. You work in his crew, he is your capo."
Re: Al Capone was a nice guy surviving relative claim [Re: abc123] #764905
02/20/14 09:10 PM
02/20/14 09:10 PM
Ted Offline
Underboss
Ted  Offline
Underboss
How old is Capone's niece?

"I die outside; I die in jail. It don't matter to me," -John Franzese
Re: Al Capone was a nice guy surviving relative claim [Re: thebigfella] #764907
02/20/14 09:19 PM
02/20/14 09:19 PM
Ted Offline
Underboss
Ted  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: thebigfella
Capone never killed anyone that was't trying to kill him first, everybody has the right to self-defense, and I'm tired of people talking about the family members of the murder victims that's left behind, no one is innocent in this game

What about Joe Howard?

"I die outside; I die in jail. It don't matter to me," -John Franzese
Re: Al Capone was a nice guy surviving relative claim [Re: abc123] #764910
02/20/14 09:21 PM
02/20/14 09:21 PM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Joe Bonanoo said he was a jolly man lol.

"My uncle(Nicky Scarfo) always told me, you have to use your brains in this thing, and you always have to use the gun." -"crazy" Phil Leonetti-

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull