GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 663 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,848
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,441
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,529
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,433
Posts1,060,881
Members10,349
Most Online992
2 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Was Tessio at the wedding? #51102
04/24/06 12:20 AM
04/24/06 12:20 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline OP
Special
mustachepete  Offline OP
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Just wondering how far out of the family loop he was kept?

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Was Tessio at the wedding? #51103
04/24/06 08:35 AM
04/24/06 08:35 AM
Pennsylvania, USA
exgigirl Offline
Underboss
exgigirl  Offline
Underboss
Pennsylvania, USA
Yes, he was at Connie's wedding. He was in a scene where he danced with some little girl.

Re: Was Tessio at the wedding? #51104
04/24/06 06:06 PM
04/24/06 06:06 PM
California
WildTrout Offline
Wiseguy
WildTrout  Offline
Wiseguy
California
I remember that. She was standing on his feet as they danced. grin

But if Clemenza can figure a way to have a weapon planted there for me then I'll kill 'em both.
Re: Was Tessio at the wedding? #51105
04/24/06 06:48 PM
04/24/06 06:48 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
But we're talking about the novel here, right?

In the book there is no mention of Tessio at the wedding.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Was Tessio at the wedding? #51106
05/04/06 05:20 AM
05/04/06 05:20 AM
London
The Hollywood Finochio Offline
The Don
The Hollywood Finochio  Offline
The Don
Underboss
London
Because at the point, he wasn't relavent. You have to assume that Tessio as a capo would not be excluded.

Barzini's presence at the wedding was added in by FFC though wasn't it

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Was Tessio at the wedding? #51107
05/04/06 09:19 AM
05/04/06 09:19 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline OP
Special
mustachepete  Offline OP
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Originally posted by plawrence:
In the book there is no mention of Tessio at the wedding.
I asked the question because, on the movie side, I was wondering a while ago why Michael designated Clemenza as the one who should hide the gun for him.

In the book, the narrative of Vito's life says that, when he appointed Tessio and Clemenza as capos, he told them not to associate with each other, even socially. Tessio operated largely indepndently, while Clemenza was kept in the Don's chain of command.

I wonder how far that went. There is not even mention of Tessio at the wedding, but from his childhood Mike remembers Clemenza as someone who would take him somewhere when the Don was too busy. I think that had a lot to do with why Michael chose Clemenza -- he just knew and trusted him.

Tessio first enters the story when he is called by Sonny after Vito is shot. Some of the language in the conversation is pretty interesting (I don't have the book in front of me, so I'll paraphrase). At one point, Sonny tells Tessio about "My kid brother Mike", and he tells Tessio that Mike is in college in Hanover, New Hampshire. That's not the sort of detail that you usually have to give someone who's known and done business with your family for thirty years, especially considering that Mike had made a big stir at the wedding just a couple of months before.

Also, when they arrange for Tessio to send men to guard the Don and the mall, Tessio ends the exchange by asking, "You know my boys, right?" Sonny says sure, but again it seems like these guys aren't completely familiarized with each other.

I tend to be on Vito's side in the great Vito/Michael debate, but in this instance, I think that Vito made a mistake by keeping Tessio's regime so isolated from the rest of the family. I think that a lot of trouble somehow could have been avoided, if Vito had just invited Tessio to the wedding.

Re: Was Tessio at the wedding? #51108
05/04/06 09:43 AM
05/04/06 09:43 AM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
Maybe Tessio wasn't aware of Michael going back to college after The War?

I really don't think Tessio wasn't at the wedding, it just wasn't necessary to mention him at that point, he was a character to bring in a bit later. Puzo did that all the time, introduced new characters every so often, to give the book a new direction and the current characters new impetus. Ie, Rocco, Neri, Jules Segal.

When it came to doing the movie it was pretty clear that they couldnt have Clemenza at the wedding and not Tessio...as it might give us an indication that possibly Tessio isn't in favour and allow us to predict his 'heel turn' later in the film. In the book, there's so much going on, you don't even consider it

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Was Tessio at the wedding? #51109
05/04/06 09:52 AM
05/04/06 09:52 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
As a longtime friend, business partner and capo of Vito Corleone, Tessio would've most certainlhy been a guest at Connie's wedding whether or not his presence was specified in the novel.

He also would've been a guest at Santino's wedding which would have taken place several years earlier.

So would have Barzini, Clemenza, and anyone else not mentioned in the novel but seen in the movie.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Was Tessio at the wedding? #51110
05/04/06 06:20 PM
05/04/06 06:20 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline OP
Special
mustachepete  Offline OP
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Originally posted by The Hollywood Finochio:

When it came to doing the movie it was pretty clear that they couldnt have Clemenza at the wedding and not Tessio...as it might give us an indication that possibly Tessio isn't in favour and allow us to predict his 'heel turn' later in the film. In the book, there's so much going on, you don't even consider it
But if I had read the book, I'd know that Tessio eventually does the heel turn anyway. If I hadn't read the book, I'd have never heard of Tessio, so I'd have had to be pretty sharp to recall that he wasn't dancing with the little girl at the wedding.

Re: Was Tessio at the wedding? #51111
05/04/06 07:20 PM
05/04/06 07:20 PM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
This is presuming you read the book before the movie, as people did do as the book came first. But they had to tweak the book when it came to the film and actually show Tessio there, rather than naturally assuming he must be there, which he must

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull