GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Malavita, 1 invisible), 60 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,123
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,385
Posts1,059,733
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Signs fo weakness? #763180
02/12/14 01:33 PM
02/12/14 01:33 PM
T
Trilogy Offline OP
Button
Trilogy  Offline OP
T
Button
What signs did Vito and Michael signal to the other families to portray themselves as weak?

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Trilogy] #763185
02/12/14 02:02 PM
02/12/14 02:02 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
By purposely allowing Barzini to chisel in on their territories and telling both Clemenza and Tessio that they cannot retaliate.
By Vito allowing Barzini and Tattaglia to think that the Corleones would not avenge the murder of Santino and his giving in to Barzini by agreeing to share his political connections, he PURPOSELY showed himself as being weak.

He had to get Michael home safely. First and foremost it was his son. So for that reason alone he had to give in to the other families.

However Vito also knew that only Michael could save the family. And being the cunning man that he was he also knew that Barzini and Tattaglia would view him as being weak. So Vito use the whole situation as a means of buying time to mentor and groom Michael and put him into a position to secretly and quietly rebuild his troops (Al Neri and his secret regime) so that the Corleones would regain the throne and once again become the most powerful family in the business.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Trilogy] #763268
02/12/14 06:56 PM
02/12/14 06:56 PM
T
Trilogy Offline OP
Button
Trilogy  Offline OP
T
Button
You said it so perfectly. Thanks!

I was just confused a little, in the deleted scene when Michael was talking with Vito...it didn't seem like Vito had the strength to revenge.

Last edited by Trilogy; 02/12/14 06:58 PM.
Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Don Cardi] #763298
02/12/14 11:03 PM
02/12/14 11:03 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
By purposely allowing Barzini to chisel in on their territories and telling both Clemenza and Tessio that they cannot retaliate.
By Vito allowing Barzini and Tattaglia to think that the Corleones would not avenge the murder of Santino and his giving in to Barzini by agreeing to share his political connections, he PURPOSELY showed himself as being weak.

He had to get Michael home safely. First and foremost it was his son. So for that reason alone he had to give in to the other families.

However Vito also knew that only Michael could save the family. And being the cunning man that he was he also knew that Barzini and Tattaglia would view him as being weak. So Vito use the whole situation as a means of buying time to mentor and groom Michael and put him into a position to secretly and quietly rebuild his troops (Al Neri and his secret regime) so that the Corleones would regain the throne and once again become the most powerful family in the business.

clap
clap
In addition: In the fishtank scene, when Clem and Tess are complaining about Barzini's incursions, Michael tells them to be patient, that "there are things being negotiated now that will solve all your problems." I believe Michael was testing the two caporegimes for loyalty--not ruling out that either or both would jump ship because they thought he was "weak." If either or both did jump ship, they'd communicate that "weakness" to Barzini.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Turnbull] #763621
02/14/14 11:02 AM
02/14/14 11:02 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Michael also allowed Moe Green to rant on and on about how the Corleones don't have much muscle any more, that they were being run out of New York, and that he could make a deal with Barzini and still keep his hotel without the Corleones.

Also he built the Rocco regime in secret so no one outside the few members of the family who knew about it fully comprehended their real strength.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Trilogy] #763637
02/14/14 12:02 PM
02/14/14 12:02 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Michael's words during the fish tank scene were intended to keep the capos from doing anything that would invite Barzini's retaliation. If the capos did something and Barzini retaliated, then Michael's hand would be forced before he was ready to play it and that would blow the whole plan.

Also, since Carlo was in the room, he could be expected to convey Michael's words to Barzini. However, there's a fly in the ointment.

If Carlo was a conduit to Barzini, then Barzini would wonder with whom was Michael negotiating. In addition, Carlo woul dhave heard Michael say that he didn't want to give Barzini an excuse to start fighting. Thus, Barzini was capable of figuring out the ruse.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Trilogy] #763648
02/14/14 01:10 PM
02/14/14 01:10 PM
T
Trilogy Offline OP
Button
Trilogy  Offline OP
T
Button
Who do you think knew of Michale's secret regime?

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Trilogy] #763653
02/14/14 01:44 PM
02/14/14 01:44 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Tom did (in the novel). Probably Vito.

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Turnbull] #763654
02/14/14 01:45 PM
02/14/14 01:45 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Turnbull

And Manolo.

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: olivant] #765052
02/21/14 08:42 PM
02/21/14 08:42 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: olivant

And Manolo.

Oli...what did Manolo do with those shoes David frost gave to Nixon?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: olivant] #765093
02/22/14 01:03 PM
02/22/14 01:03 PM
New York, NY
Questadt Offline
Button
Questadt  Offline
Button
New York, NY
Michael's words during the fish tank scene were intended to keep the capos from doing anything that would invite Barzini's retaliation. If the capos did something and Barzini retaliated, then Michael's hand would be forced before he was ready to play it and that would blow the whole plan.

Also, since Carlo was in the room, he could be expected to convey Michael's words to Barzini. However, there's a fly in the ointment.

If Carlo was a conduit to Barzini, then Barzini would wonder with whom was Michael negotiating. In addition, Carlo woul dhave heard Michael say that he didn't want to give Barzini an excuse to start fighting. Thus, Barzini was capable of figuring out the ruse.

Very interesting perspectives. Just two questions:

1) Do we know that Carlo was actually in continual contact with Barzini during this time? As opposed to having set up Santino for Barzini just that one time?

2) Was Michael really certain at this time that Barzini was the one who approached Carlo? It seems to me that Michael still did not know the answer to this question for certain - until he took the opportunity to grill Carlo about it so very intensely, just prior to Carlo's assassination - rather than simply order Carlo to be killed at the earliest opportunity, and being done with the matter.

Last edited by Questadt; 02/22/14 01:07 PM.

"A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns."
Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Questadt] #765102
02/22/14 02:15 PM
02/22/14 02:15 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Questadt

Very interesting perspectives. Just two questions:

1) Do we know that Carlo was actually in continual contact with Barzini during this time? As opposed to having set up Santino for Barzini just that one time?

2) Was Michael really certain at this time that Barzini was the one who approached Carlo? It seems to me that Michael still did not know the answer to this question for certain - until he took the opportunity to grill Carlo about it so very intensely, just prior to Carlo's assassination - rather than simply order Carlo to be killed at the earliest opportunity, and being done with the matter.

Well, Carlo wouldn't have to be in continual contact with Barzini; he certainly had access to him as needed either directly or indirectly.

No less an authority than Vito advised Michael that "it was Barzini all along".

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: olivant] #765110
02/22/14 03:07 PM
02/22/14 03:07 PM
New York, NY
Questadt Offline
Button
Questadt  Offline
Button
New York, NY
Well, Carlo wouldn't have to be in continual contact with Barzini; he certainly had access to him as needed either directly or indirectly.

Well, yes. That's more or less what I meant - whether Carlo hadn't necessarily severed his ties with Barzini after the hit on Santino. But what would Carlo's motive be? Especially since he'd already had his revenge against Santino - and had gotten away with it scot-free (or so he may have thought at the time). Is the supposition that Barzini likely had made promises to Carlo for a prominent role in the new regime that Barzini would create out of the ruins of the Corleone family? If so, what evidence is there of it?

No less an authority than Vito advised Michael that "it was Barzini all along".

Then what was Michael's purpose in grilling Carlo so intensively - just prior to putting the hit on him - if he already knew this? Some kind of "confession prior to execution" notion of justice that Michael might have held? What?

Last edited by Questadt; 02/22/14 03:08 PM.

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Trilogy] #765117
02/22/14 04:23 PM
02/22/14 04:23 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Carlo wanted power, respect, money, etc. That was his motivation. Maybe he could get it from Michael; maybe from Barzini. Only Carlo could decide which. Michael figured on the the latter. That's the reason he was included in the Capos meeting. Otherwise, there was no reason for Michael to reveal sensitive Corleone family in front of a known traitor.

Michael's interrogation of Carlo was simply a function of Michael's avarice. It was elective. He enjoyed playing the shark circling his prey.

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: olivant] #765148
02/22/14 07:32 PM
02/22/14 07:32 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Carlo wanted power, respect, money, etc. That was his motivation. Maybe he could get it from Michael; maybe from Barzini. Only Carlo could decide which. Michael figured on the the latter. That's the reason he was included in the Capos meeting. Otherwise, there was no reason for Michael to reveal sensitive Corleone family in front of a known traitor.

Michael's interrogation of Carlo was simply a function of Michael's avarice. It was elective. He enjoyed playing the shark circling his prey.

With all due respect Oli, I must disagree. Carlo was the first "family member" he had killed. He was not as hardened in the original movie as he became in II when he had Fredo killed. this was his brother in law, and he foresaw Connie's reaction as well as Kate's and perhaps even Tom. He got the "confession" out of Carlo in the presence of Tom and others in the family. The reason was clear. Even though he denied killing Carlo to his sister and Kay, he simultaneously had the implicit support of people like Tom, who would not break omerta with , say Connie.

Bluntly, he had to let them know that killing Carlo was business, not personal.

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: dontomasso] #765175
02/22/14 10:04 PM
02/22/14 10:04 PM
New York, NY
Questadt Offline
Button
Questadt  Offline
Button
New York, NY
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Carlo was the first "family member" he had killed. He was not as hardened in the original movie as he became in II when he had Fredo killed. this was his brother in law, and he foresaw Connie's reaction as well as Kate's and perhaps even Tom. He got the "confession" out of Carlo in the presence of Tom and others in the family. The reason was clear. Even though he denied killing Carlo to his sister and Kay, he simultaneously had the implicit support of people like Tom, who would not break omerta with , say Connie.

Bluntly, he had to let them know that killing Carlo was business, not personal.

I see. So in a sense, Michael's little cat & mouse game with Carlo, resulting in Carlo's confession, could be seen as a means by which Michael further cemented his credibility and authority within the family? As if anyone who had doubts about Michael's judgement in having Carlo murdered could clearly tell, from Carlo's own words, that Michael had gotten it right, and that Carlo had brought it upon himself?

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Questadt] #765178
02/22/14 10:50 PM
02/22/14 10:50 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Very interesting perspectives, all. smile

In the novel, the capos and Hagen are "astonished" that Michael even asked Carlo who it was. They thought he was "not yet the man his father was." From their viewpoint, Carlo was guilty, and since Tatt and Barz were going to die that day (or were already dead), what did it matter who approached Carlo.

This question has come up several times in the past. Some people feel Michael had to justify Carlo's murder to himself. Even if that were true, what difference would it make who approached Carlo? He was a traitor, he set up Sonny, he deserved to die.

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Trilogy] #765185
02/22/14 11:29 PM
02/22/14 11:29 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I reiterate: it had nothing to do with anything except Michael's sharklike personality. It didn't have anything to do with impressing anyone in the family (as TB states, in the novel several family members are wondering why Michael's interrogating Carlo). He had Carlo trapped; he couldn't escape. Michael enjoyed what he was doing. I might add that by that time the other dons had been wiped out. At that point, if anyone in the family needed to be impressed, they weren't paying attention.

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: olivant] #765265
02/23/14 05:21 PM
02/23/14 05:21 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

No doubt Michael was having his sadistic side satidfied by the Carlo interrogation, but I still think he wanted to know he had the tacit approval of his key people prior to having him killed. Obviously he had already given the order, because Celmenza was sitting in the back seat of the car that was supposed to take him to the airport, and more significant, it was not Fredo who was "taking him to the airport."

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Trilogy] #765285
02/23/14 06:31 PM
02/23/14 06:31 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Well DT, I don't understand that reasoning. By the time he confronted Carlo, all of the Dons were dead and it was Michael who orchestrated their deaths. Thus, what possible approval from anyone in the family would Michael seek to kill Carlo? Conversely, if approval was necessary and either Tom or Neri or Rocco objected, how would that occur and what would be the result?

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: olivant] #765502
02/25/14 11:32 AM
02/25/14 11:32 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I think Michael was more concerned about the reactions of Connie, Kay and even his mother to the killing of an in-law, and by getting that confession in front of the others, Michael knew he had allies within the family who would be supportive of what happened. In the movie Michael goes so far as to lie to Kay about Carlo, and in the novel, Tom has to go to Kay to justify Michael's misdeeds. I sense he needed people to be willling to defend him openly within the family. this was not a matter of Michael needing power, it was more a way of weilding it.

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Trilogy] #765526
02/25/14 12:28 PM
02/25/14 12:28 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Well, maybe DT.

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Trilogy] #765606
02/25/14 06:26 PM
02/25/14 06:26 PM
North America
Mr. Blonde Offline
Capo
Mr. Blonde  Offline
Capo
North America
Interesting takes. Oli says it was a manifestation of Michael's personality and I tend to agree. I think this is in part shaped by his military background. Although it seems Michael was a sniper, I would think he was instructed to get information from a dying enemy. Sometimes the information would prove useful, sometimes it would not, but it was always better to have information than not have it.

And that's what Carlo was - a dying enemy. He just didn't know it.

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Trilogy] #765616
02/25/14 07:37 PM
02/25/14 07:37 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
I think that the whole Carlo confession scene was an attempt for FFC to give the audience the satisfaction of seeing Carlo get what he had coming for setting up Sonny.

Presumably,when Mike came back from Sicily,Vito filled him in on Barzini's true role as the mastermind of the drug trade,so I have to figure that no matter who made the approach,Mike would recognize that it was Barzini pulling the strings,so why would he care who made the actual overture to Carlo?

If Carlo would have had a lick of sense,he would have realized that he was already a dead man. I mean Mike tells him that he just killed Tatt and Barz,and then asks which one approached him.
Any street guy would have wondered why Mike wanted to know who approached him? What was Mike going to do with the information,resurrect the guilty Don and kill him again?

The only way the scene makes any sense is if Mike figured that Carlo would buy the lie that his punishment was exile to Vegas,and therefore would walk to the car quietly,as opposed to bolting through the door and running for his life down the street.Even this seems unlikely,since Mike was certainly capable of vanishing Carlo with no suspicion ever coming back on him.

Mike didn't need a confession from Carlo,he didn't need to set up a scheme to kill him,and he didn't need anyone's OK.

FFC needed the "Carlo gets his" scene ,as well as the Connie/Kay confrontation scenes.

Last edited by Lou_Para; 02/25/14 07:40 PM.
Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Trilogy] #765623
02/25/14 08:24 PM
02/25/14 08:24 PM
New York, NY
Questadt Offline
Button
Questadt  Offline
Button
New York, NY
FWIW, I've long thought that the interdependency (and friction?) between "family" in the traditional sense, and "family" in the LCN sense, is at the heart of one of the most fascinating aspects of Mafia subculture, i.e. the extent to which they're able to protect their wives & children (or not) from the depravity and carnage going on all around them - physically, emotionally, psychologically, spiritually. It's certainly a central theme of The Godfather series. Here is just one manifestation of it.

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Questadt] #765627
02/25/14 09:49 PM
02/25/14 09:49 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
And Kay trumped it in III: Michael says he tried "to protect my family from the horrors of this world." Kay replied: "You became my horror." Bravo, Kay!

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Turnbull] #765705
02/26/14 02:36 PM
02/26/14 02:36 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
And Kay trumped it in III: Michael says he tried "to protect my family from the horrors of this world." Kay replied: "You became my horror." Bravo, Kay!

Yes, she definitely punched him right in the stomach with that remark. And deservedly so!

However, whenever I watch that scene I always get the feeling that Michael was, in a twisted and sick way, being sincere in that he really came to believe that he did things to try and protect his family. Maybe over time he had convinced himself that he did.

Of course we know that he destroyed it, but I don't know that he saw it that way. I think that he became so hardened, egotistical and power hungry that he reached a point where he couldn't differentiate family from "FAMILY"

In other words he may have saved the Corleone "Family" but by doing so he destroyed his family.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Trilogy] #765707
02/26/14 02:44 PM
02/26/14 02:44 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Remember the scene in II when Michael asked his mother if he could lose his family and she told him that he can never lose his family. Maybe she could have stopped him had she answered otherwise.

Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: Don Cardi] #765709
02/26/14 02:54 PM
02/26/14 02:54 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

Yes, she definitely punched him right in the stomach with that remark. And deservedly so!

However, whenever I watch that scene I always get the feeling that Michael was, in a twisted and sick way, being sincere in that he really came to believe that he did things to try and protect his family.

Of course we know that he destroyed it, but I don't know that he saw it that way. I think that he became so hardened, egotistical and power hungry that he reached a point where he couldn't differentiate family from "FAMILY"

In other words he may have saved the Corleone "Family" but by doing so he destroyed his family.

A point made crystal clear on the steps of the opera house in Sicily.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Signs fo weakness? [Re: The Last Woltz] #765767
02/26/14 09:35 PM
02/26/14 09:35 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Wow this is turning out to be a great thread!

I think we all need to keep in mind the evolution of Michael's character. He was definitely of the WWII mentality, and used a kind of 1950"s corporate mentality when he took over the family business...very different from Vito even at that point. By the end of II he was totally paranoid, and had lost all he thought he was preserving. Nixonian in a way. By three he was totally deluded thinking he could somehow reunite with his ex wife and family who had all moved on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull