GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 274 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,590
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,062
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,364
Posts1,059,430
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Donnie Brasco Question #758875
01/15/14 09:17 PM
01/15/14 09:17 PM
Iceman999 Offline OP
Capo
Iceman999  Offline OP
Capo
I always wondered why they depicted the Three Capos muders as they did in the film. Anyone know why there was no mention of Massino?

Re: Donnie Brasco Question [Re: Iceman999] #758879
01/15/14 09:40 PM
01/15/14 09:40 PM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
there was also no mention of vito rizzuto, sal vitale, or scasccia.

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort
Re: Donnie Brasco Question [Re: Iceman999] #816958
12/03/14 09:43 PM
12/03/14 09:43 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Several times I've watched The History Channel's Greatest Mafia Hits. Tonight they did Donnie Brasco. However, when they came to the part about Brasco going to Florida and setting up the nightclub there, they showed his transportation as a TWA turboprop Constellation. Constellations last flew in the late 60s at the latest. I would think the program's producers would certainly catch something like that. Did anyone else notice?

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Donnie Brasco Question [Re: Iceman999] #817058
12/04/14 01:33 PM
12/04/14 01:33 PM
Novi Sad,Serbia
alexandarns Offline
Underboss
alexandarns  Offline
Underboss
Novi Sad,Serbia
Is that on voutube?the docu

Re: Donnie Brasco Question [Re: Iceman999] #817328
12/06/14 03:16 AM
12/06/14 03:16 AM
Castellammare del Golfo
Malandrino Offline
Underboss
Malandrino  Offline
Underboss
Castellammare del Golfo
They did a good job considering everything. Why the hell would Massino, Vitale, Rizzuto be in there? There was a dozen people that were part of that hit, you can't just introduce them all as characters just so one scene can be more true to the real events. Plus the movie was made before Vitale, Massino, etc flipped and less was known about the 3 capos hit.

I consider this to be a good movie, although not completely true to the book. They made Sonny Black to be the main antagonist and generally it felt butchered... almost half of the book was left out of it. Yet you gotta think as a movie producer... you can't include everything, there's only a limited runtime. So, everything considered, this movie came out good.

-I shot him a coupla' times.
-What's a couple?
-Hmm, more than a couple... Really I don't know the exact amount, maybe I shot him 10 times, 12 times?
-Maybe fifteen?
-Hmm, it could've been fifteen...

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso
Re: Donnie Brasco Question [Re: olivant] #817516
12/07/14 06:32 AM
12/07/14 06:32 AM
B
bigboy Offline
Underboss
bigboy  Offline
B
Underboss
Originally Posted By: olivant
Several times I've watched The History Channel's Greatest Mafia Hits. Tonight they did Donnie Brasco. However, when they came to the part about Brasco going to Florida and setting up the nightclub there, they showed his transportation as a TWA turboprop Constellation. Constellations last flew in the late 60s at the latest. I would think the program's producers would certainly catch something like that. Did anyone else notice?
Yes I noticed the "Super Connie" too and figured the producers were too lazy to find something more appropriate. The 3 capo's murder has been described in many books and it seems no two are alike. Again lazy fact checking.

Re: Donnie Brasco Question [Re: Iceman999] #818609
12/13/14 10:32 AM
12/13/14 10:32 AM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
Lazy fact checking had little to do with it, me thinks. As Malandrino mentioned, the film was made prior to Vitale & Massino flipping, so knowledge about the murders weren't accurate in most cases. In every book I've read about it in, from The Sixth Family to The Five Families by Selwyn Raab, all the descriptions were within the realms of each other, they didn't differ all that much, at least to me. Humphrey's wrote about how Massino invited the three, and Lino, to the J&S cake for a sitdown, and as soon as they got there, the signal was made, the men burst out of the closet, Vito said "This is a holdup", Massino clocked Sonny Red with some object, Trinny rushed and was killed, Lino ran out the back, and Philly Lucky was the only one who didn't fight it and stood against a wall with his hands up until he was popped. It's explained almost identical in the Five Families. I have yet to reach the part where Pistone talks about it in the book, but I can't imagine it being like the scene in the film. I think the directors had an idea of what really went down thanks to Pistone's words about it, but they purposely altered it to fit in with the film and those characters, I think that's why they did it.

The same goes for the scene in which Donnie is labeled a rat, in the film it's Tony Mirra (who isn't featured, just mentioned in the film) claiming he has knowledge of Donnie not being who he says he is, and it's Lefty who's attending the sitdowns and vouching for him and putting his life on the line for him. When the reality of it is, it was Colombo associates who first suspected Pistone of not being who he says he was, and all they did was make some calls and an informant vouched for Pistone as being Donnie Brasco, then Jilly & a guy by the name of Guido squashed it. But it was Jilly who vouched for Pistone during the rat situation, not Lefty Ruggiero.

Another is the relationship and the way they paint Pistone, Lefty & Sonny Black's relationship. The film makes it seem as if it was Lefty who was Pistone's right hand during the entire operation and the guy who had his back and vouched for him for jobs. While he basically was Pistone's overseer for the early part of his infiltration of the Bonanno's, they drifted apart, despite always dealing with each other, and Pistone got closer to Sonny Black and began going over Lefty's head on many situations and instances before the conclusion of the investigation.

Last edited by SinatraClub; 01/03/15 09:56 PM.
Re: Donnie Brasco Question [Re: Malandrino] #818813
12/14/14 12:38 PM
12/14/14 12:38 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Originally Posted By: Malandrino
They did a good job considering everything. Why the hell would Massino, Vitale, Rizzuto be in there? There was a dozen people that were part of that hit, you can't just introduce them all as characters just so one scene can be more true to the real events. Plus the movie was made before Vitale, Massino, etc flipped and less was known about the 3 capos hit.

I consider this to be a good movie, although not completely true to the book. They made Sonny Black to be the main antagonist and generally it felt butchered... almost half of the book was left out of it. Yet you gotta think as a movie producer... you can't include everything, there's only a limited runtime. So, everything considered, this movie came out good.

Exactly. There were way too many extra guys to throw into the movie to make this like the real thing, plus that scene lets the viewer know that Donnie was in too deep at that point and could have been killed because he was so close to Sonny Black and crew. Plus a big plot like that it would be stupid to add other characters that the viewer would not know into that murder as it would only cause confusion.

Re: Donnie Brasco Question [Re: Iceman999] #826115
01/28/15 03:14 PM
01/28/15 03:14 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Watching Donnie Brasco again today, I heard dialogue that is not correct. Sonny Black tells Santo Trafficante that Donnie is a friend of ours. Certainly the director knew that wasn't correct.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Donnie Brasco Question [Re: olivant] #826133
01/28/15 06:08 PM
01/28/15 06:08 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
Watching Donnie Brasco again today, I heard dialogue that is not correct. Sonny Black tells Santo Trafficante that Donnie is a friend of ours. Certainly the director knew that wasn't correct.
The dialogue in that scene is meant to underscore Lefty's jealousy of Donnie. First Lefty is basically ignored by Santo,then he accuses Donnie of stabbing him in the back.Then Sonny tells Donnie "you're with me now". Sonny introduces Donnie as a friend "of ours" then the camera cuts to Lefty, looking betrayed. There was some dramatic license in the scene,but I think that it was intentional,not a mistake.
Lefty sees himself as Sonny's right hand man,and probably figures that after all of the abuse and disrespect that he has been shown,that he will be a major player under Sonny. Then out of nowhere,Donnie jumps to the front of the line.
The "friend of ours" intro was meant to give the viewers a sympathetic look at Lefty.

Re: Donnie Brasco Question [Re: Iceman999] #831885
03/07/15 08:31 PM
03/07/15 08:31 PM
ThisGuyOverHere Offline
Made Member
ThisGuyOverHere  Offline
Made Member
You have to expect a lot of fiction in any Hollywood "true stories." I agree with Malandrino that it was a good film. Leaving out Massino was not that big of a deal, as he headed a totally different crew. I do think the movie should have included the whole Tony Mirra saga, though...

Re: Donnie Brasco Question [Re: Iceman999] #832058
03/09/15 10:38 AM
03/09/15 10:38 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Like all movies based on true stories it takes a lot of dramatic liberties. Donnie Brasco is a great movie and does do a decent job being truthful BUT several things are different from the true story. First off the movies starts in late 1978 which isnt accurate. Joe Pistone/Donnie Brasco met Lefty in 1977 and was even his best man to Lefty and his wife Louise wedding in September of that year. Secondly there is no mention of Anthony Mirra who is very important in the true story. The biggest liberty is that in real life Sonny Black and Donnie were actually closer than Donnie and Lefty. Joe Pistone has gone on record saying that he liked Sonny despite trying to put him in jail. Sonny Black was the one who said he understood Donnie was just doing his job and accepted his fate

Last edited by JCrusher; 03/09/15 10:39 AM.
Re: Donnie Brasco Question [Re: Lou_Para] #832065
03/09/15 11:35 AM
03/09/15 11:35 AM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Originally Posted By: Lou_Para
The dialogue in that scene is meant to underscore Lefty's jealousy of Donnie. First Lefty is basically ignored by Santo,then he accuses Donnie of stabbing him in the back.Then Sonny tells Donnie "you're with me now". Sonny introduces Donnie as a friend "of ours" then the camera cuts to Lefty, looking betrayed. There was some dramatic license in the scene,but I think that it was intentional,not a mistake.
Lefty sees himself as Sonny's right hand man,and probably figures that after all of the abuse and disrespect that he has been shown,that he will be a major player under Sonny. Then out of nowhere,Donnie jumps to the front of the line.
The "friend of ours" intro was meant to give the viewers a sympathetic look at Lefty.

Well said and agreed.

Re: Donnie Brasco Question [Re: Iceman999] #832114
03/09/15 04:56 PM
03/09/15 04:56 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
while the movie was very good. im left wondering how he could have gotten away with that federal boat that he took the crew on.

if it was true then pistone was very lucky, he picked the right family to infiltrate, I don't think he could have gotten away with using a federal boat in any other family, im sure that would have sealed his fate with the genoveses, luchesses, columbos, and gambinos.

I seriously doubt he could have gotten very far with any other family.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: Donnie Brasco Question [Re: Binnie_Coll] #832172
03/10/15 08:42 AM
03/10/15 08:42 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
"Donnie Brasco" was a thoroughly enjoyable, well-acted movie. But, as others have pointed out, the film took plenty of liberties to make it entertaining. We also have to ask just how truthful Pistone was in his book that was the basis of the movie.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Donnie Brasco Question [Re: Binnie_Coll] #832231
03/10/15 02:37 PM
03/10/15 02:37 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
while the movie was very good. im left wondering how he could have gotten away with that federal boat that he took the crew on.

if it was true then pistone was very lucky, he picked the right family to infiltrate, I don't think he could have gotten away with using a federal boat in any other family, im sure that would have sealed his fate with the genoveses, luchesses, columbos, and gambinos.

I seriously doubt he could have gotten very far with any other family.

I wish he would have gotten to someone like casso or the Gambino crew members.

Maybe he / they felt Nicky Blacks crew were the more desporate and an easier target.

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: Donnie Brasco Question [Re: Iceman999] #842557
05/19/15 09:25 AM
05/19/15 09:25 AM
baldo Offline
Capo
baldo  Offline
Capo
I had actually met the actor who played Galante in the movie. He told me that they had filmed the scene where Galante was shot but it was cut from the movie. Would have been cool to include more about Galante and the zips in the movie.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull