GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (chin_gigante), 291 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,323
Posts1,058,597
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? #758360
01/12/14 11:03 PM
01/12/14 11:03 PM
F
FurioScarfo Offline OP
Wiseguy
FurioScarfo  Offline OP
F
Wiseguy
I'd say Tony being able to get away with seeing a psychiatrist would be one. Anything else?

Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: FurioScarfo] #758366
01/12/14 11:37 PM
01/12/14 11:37 PM
Bamboo Lounge
NickyEyes1 Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
NickyEyes1  Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
Underboss
Bamboo Lounge
The amount of violence seemed a little higher than normal, but there has to be to make it entertaining.

Last edited by NickyEyes1; 01/12/14 11:38 PM.
Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: FurioScarfo] #758367
01/12/14 11:43 PM
01/12/14 11:43 PM
Gotti Offline
Button
Gotti  Offline
Button
Didn't Tony whack the Matt Bevilacqua while boss of the family? I doubt that would ever happen.

Makes you think. Makes you think about the people in your life. And when I think, I think of Neil. If he were here now what would he say? He would say "John what's it about? What's life about... if you dont go through it as a man's man?". He'd say "Suck it up, take the fall do the time. That made you what you are. That makes you what you are. How long have we been around this thing of ours? This Cosa Nostra? 120 years. What's it about? It's about the rules, perimeters. You take the beating for a friend, you don't run, you don't lay down, you don't betray who you are. What you are.
Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: FurioScarfo] #758370
01/12/14 11:50 PM
01/12/14 11:50 PM
Ted Offline
Underboss
Ted  Offline
Underboss
The FBI sits on their ass and doesn't get and doesn't get a single conviction in 8 years. Aside from season 1, is anyone in the NJ family even indicted?

"I die outside; I die in jail. It don't matter to me," -John Franzese
Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: FurioScarfo] #758401
01/13/14 09:03 AM
01/13/14 09:03 AM
F
FurioScarfo Offline OP
Wiseguy
FurioScarfo  Offline OP
F
Wiseguy
I'd also say that Tony going out and doing a lot of the killings was unrealistic.

Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: FurioScarfo] #758415
01/13/14 11:02 AM
01/13/14 11:02 AM
Your Mom's House
Jimmy_Two_Times Offline
Underboss
Jimmy_Two_Times  Offline
Underboss
Your Mom's House
I'd agree that as a boss, Tony shouldn't have committed so many killings on his own, but then again it was a TV show...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that Frank Costello saw a shrink when he was boss?

Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: FurioScarfo] #758418
01/13/14 11:15 AM
01/13/14 11:15 AM
Illinois
F_white Offline
Underboss
F_white  Offline
Underboss
Illinois
The boss killing on his own.

From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn.

Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: FurioScarfo] #758428
01/13/14 12:13 PM
01/13/14 12:13 PM
North StL County, MO
S
StLguy Offline
Capo
StLguy  Offline
S
Capo
North StL County, MO
Tony beat and collected money from that degenerate gambler himself. Tony killed multiple people himself.

I guess one could make the argument that gaspipe killed that Frankie hydell guy while he was underboss, so it could happen...

Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: FurioScarfo] #758684
01/14/14 06:31 PM
01/14/14 06:31 PM
F
FurioScarfo Offline OP
Wiseguy
FurioScarfo  Offline OP
F
Wiseguy
I'd say that was different, since Casso had a personal vendetta among other things. Any capo collecting protection money as well as beating someone up and taking a 100 dollars from them like butch did with the construction worker also was unrealistic to me.

Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: FurioScarfo] #758715
01/14/14 11:07 PM
01/14/14 11:07 PM
NJ
F
FrankMazola Offline
Underboss
FrankMazola  Offline
F
Underboss
NJ
How about "too many Chiefs, not enough Indians"?

F. Mazola, Esq.
Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: FurioScarfo] #758740
01/15/14 02:00 AM
01/15/14 02:00 AM
New York City
ovation32 Offline
Capo
ovation32  Offline
Capo
New York City
Virtually never referencing the fact that the Boss of the family was in prison and Jackie Aprile, Junior and Tony were all merely Acting.

Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: FurioScarfo] #758748
01/15/14 03:22 AM
01/15/14 03:22 AM
H
HuronSocialAthletic Offline
Underboss
HuronSocialAthletic  Offline
H
Underboss
Who was supposed to be the boss then? Didn't really watch the series consistently, couldn't deal with the goofball accents.

Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: HuronSocialAthletic] #758817
01/15/14 04:03 PM
01/15/14 04:03 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: HuronSocialAthletic
Who was supposed to be the boss then? Didn't really watch the series consistently, couldn't deal with the goofball accents.

A guy named Ercole DiMeo, who's mentioned briefly in Season 1. I think it was when the writers were still getting things in place, in terms of characters and a story line, and they basically dropped that character going forward.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: Gotti] #758822
01/15/14 04:27 PM
01/15/14 04:27 PM
A
andrewc Offline
Made Member
andrewc  Offline
A
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Gotti
Didn't Tony whack the Matt Bevilacqua while boss of the family? I doubt that would ever happen.

The Sopranos aint a family, they're a glorified crew wink

Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: FurioScarfo] #758826
01/15/14 04:48 PM
01/15/14 04:48 PM
H
HuronSocialAthletic Offline
Underboss
HuronSocialAthletic  Offline
H
Underboss
Right that's what I always thought that they were modeled after the Lucchese's main Jersey crew.

Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: FurioScarfo] #758882
01/15/14 10:57 PM
01/15/14 10:57 PM
Eastern Europe
S
Slava Offline
Button
Slava  Offline
S
Button
Eastern Europe
Why would it be so unrealistic that he got away with seeing psychiatrist? Junior did try to whack him because of this (among other things) but failed. It was never depicted as if this was totally acceptable (mobster seeing shrink) but in the end no one could do anything about it really. Tony had solidified his position as the boss and led a small but extremely violent (for this day and age) and relatively young group of mobsters. NY family led by pragmatic Lupertazzi sr. made money with them and didn't want to cause war and instability by whacking a boss.

Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: FurioScarfo] #758888
01/15/14 11:56 PM
01/15/14 11:56 PM
las vegas
bobbyvegas Offline
Made Member
bobbyvegas  Offline
Made Member
las vegas
Carmela hooking up with the painter was unrealistic to me. I doubt anybody gets away with hooking up with a bosses wife

Thats a lie
Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: FurioScarfo] #758890
01/16/14 12:08 AM
01/16/14 12:08 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Sopranos was a great show but very fictional at least in terms of the modern mafia. first of all the mob killings have decreased substantially since teh early 90's. Also like someone already said a mafia boss visiting a shrink would be the end for him. Another issues was the fact that they made the jersey mafia just as strong as new york which is laughable. Gotti called the jersey mob the minor league and basically ordered them around like they were his soldiers lol

Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: bobbyvegas] #758891
01/16/14 12:10 AM
01/16/14 12:10 AM
Westchester
Frankie_Five_Angels Offline
Made Member
Frankie_Five_Angels  Offline
Made Member
Westchester
Tony never knew about the painter, and the painter didn't know who Carmela's husband was at first...then he "pissed his pants".

"I'll give you undignified. Go fuck yourself. You, Phil... whoever. He's my fuckin' cousin."

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents"..
Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: FurioScarfo] #758892
01/16/14 12:18 AM
01/16/14 12:18 AM
las vegas
bobbyvegas Offline
Made Member
bobbyvegas  Offline
Made Member
las vegas
I never said tony knew about the painter. Bottom line, i doubt that situation has ever happened.

Thats a lie
Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: FurioScarfo] #758918
01/16/14 09:02 AM
01/16/14 09:02 AM
R
RollinBones Offline
Underboss
RollinBones  Offline
R
Underboss
She didn't even sleep with him. You really think no bosses wife has ever cheated?

Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: JCrusher] #759014
01/16/14 08:36 PM
01/16/14 08:36 PM
Eastern Europe
S
Slava Offline
Button
Slava  Offline
S
Button
Eastern Europe
Originally Posted By: JCrusher
Sopranos was a great show but very fictional at least in terms of the modern mafia. first of all the mob killings have decreased substantially since teh early 90's. Also like someone already said a mafia boss visiting a shrink would be the end for him. Another issues was the fact that they made the jersey mafia just as strong as new york which is laughable. Gotti called the jersey mob the minor league and basically ordered them around like they were his soldiers lol

Depends how you define unrealistic. Soprano family is indeed based on DeCavalcante family in terms of location of family, the size and some of the rackets they ran, but other than that the members of this family are fictional characters. That doesn't make it totally unrealistic otherwise pretty much any work of fiction is "unrealistic" because it didn't exactly happen this way in real life.

You have to accept these characters as real and as long as their story is realistic in the context of the environment they're in, if the interaction between them is realistic and so on, everything is fine.

Is anyone from the characters in the Soprano family unrealistic as a mob character? IMO nobody, they all pretty much fit into "the life". The difference is that they are more violent than the actual DeCavalcante family was, but violence as such is not unrealistic at all considering that this is a series about mob.

The number of killings has indeed decreased, but this doesn't mean that murders couldn't have happened this day and age if leadership of some family wanted to resort to violence. All it takes is the boss giving the order to one of his soldiers. It just happens that modern bosses aren't ready to do this for a number of reasons, but since when it's "unrealistic" for a mafia boss to order killings and for mafia soldiers to commit them?

Tony's character was paranoid, selfish, violent and had problems with rage. You had tons of mobsters who were like that. It would actually be unrealistic if there was too little violence. He lead a small but deadly family with a lot of soldiers who were prepared to kill and did commit murders through series (Chris, Paulie, Sil, both Baccalieris, Gigi, Patsy, Benny, Walden, Eugene... Hell, almost everyone from the major characters, even Vito was doing hits) not to mention his connection with Naples. You can imagine him as some sort of modern day DeMeo in this regard.

This also explains why even that large NY family feared him and didn't want to try to discipline him until Phil became boss. They even called the NJ family to perform hits for them. Especially Lupertazzi was your typical modern day non-violent boss - with the example of him and his family the series actually showed us that violence of Soprano family is not the norm these days and that even big families are hesitant to use it.

The Commision appears to be de facto non-existant so there was no one to discipline the Sopranos and tell them what to do. That's why Tony got away with seeing a shrink and a number of other things and could pretty much do what he wanted on his territory. They still made a lot of money with him and that was the most important. Again, totally realistic.

You have a real life example of that Albanian gang (of pretty much the same size as fictional Sopranos) dissrespecting Gambinos and there was no retaliation.

Another thing you have to consider is that most of these murders were murders of low level associates (or not connected at all) who were probably under the radar and their murders couldn't be directly linked to top LCN guys, for example Brendan, Mustang Sally, those two guys working for Chris, Jackie jr. and his guys, all those civilians etc. I believe such murders happen in real life too, but we simply can't know about every LCN-related murder/commited by LCN member. Not that many made guys died.

I think through the show we can easily see that Tony is not a typical mob boss and his family is not a typical mafia family either, if we're comparing him and his guys to Lupertazzi family who resemble modern LCN more. Creators of Sopranos didn't want to present modern post 00s mob in documentary-like fashion but were presented us what could have happened in a modern mob environment with a bit different set of characters than actual NJ mobsters (but still in the realm of general character traits of mafiosi).

In terms of realism they did far better job than say Godfather IMO. It's unjust comparing Sopranos to Godfellas and Donnie Brasco because these two are based on real life stories. Out of fictional mob stories Sopranos are the most realistic.

Last edited by Slava; 01/16/14 08:40 PM.
Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: StLguy] #759017
01/16/14 08:51 PM
01/16/14 08:51 PM
Eastern Europe
S
Slava Offline
Button
Slava  Offline
S
Button
Eastern Europe
Originally Posted By: StLguy
Tony beat and collected money from that degenerate gambler himself. Tony killed multiple people himself.

I guess one could make the argument that gaspipe killed that Frankie hydell guy while he was underboss, so it could happen...

Most of violent things Tony did himself were personal, like avenging murder attempt on Chris and on himself. Plus he was trying to keep his tough guy persona to be more feared. He was a violent person in general and probably enjoyed being a bully. Scarfo was doing hits while boss too.

Originally Posted By: Ted
The FBI sits on their ass and doesn't get and doesn't get a single conviction in 8 years. Aside from season 1, is anyone in the NJ family even indicted?

They indicted a number of people in first season and it was made clear that they were focused on Junior Soprano and Baresi crew. They started building a RICO case against Tony and his crew in the 2nd season but there were some setbacks like all those rats dying, bug in Tony's house neutralized etc. He lasted 7 years as boss on the street which is not so unrealistic considering that he also had a lot of luck. Also, FBI seemed to be more concerned about what was going on in NY, they mention trial against Massino, they brought Johnny Sack and his crew down etc.

Last edited by Slava; 01/16/14 08:53 PM.
Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: FurioScarfo] #759034
01/17/14 01:56 AM
01/17/14 01:56 AM
NJ
F
FrankMazola Offline
Underboss
FrankMazola  Offline
F
Underboss
NJ
Didn't that Federal Prosecutor come in to the local Detectives in season 6 and say, "We've been building a major RICO against Tony Soprano……"

Not to beat a dead horse but that sounds a lot like the Philly indictment being alleged for years and then finally coming down.

F. Mazola, Esq.
Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: FurioScarfo] #759245
01/18/14 09:05 AM
01/18/14 09:05 AM
O
OtisOtis Offline
Wiseguy
OtisOtis  Offline
O
Wiseguy
i think what is unrealistic is them having an office in the back of a strip club and people call tony like he is an insurance salesman.lol

Re: What are some things unrealistic about Sopranos? [Re: Slava] #759266
01/18/14 01:44 PM
01/18/14 01:44 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Slava
Originally Posted By: JCrusher

Depends how you define unrealistic. Soprano family is indeed based on DeCavalcante family in terms of location of family, the size and some of the rackets they ran, but other than that the members of this family are fictional characters. That doesn't make it totally unrealistic otherwise pretty much any work of fiction is "unrealistic" because it didn't exactly happen this way in real life.

You have to accept these characters as real and as long as their story is realistic in the context of the environment they're in, if the interaction between them is realistic and so on, everything is fine.

Is anyone from the characters in the Soprano family unrealistic as a mob character? IMO nobody, they all pretty much fit into "the life". The difference is that they are more violent than the actual DeCavalcante family was, but violence as such is not unrealistic at all considering that this is a series about mob.

The number of killings has indeed decreased, but this doesn't mean that murders couldn't have happened this day and age if leadership of some family wanted to resort to violence. All it takes is the boss giving the order to one of his soldiers. It just happens that modern bosses aren't ready to do this for a number of reasons, but since when it's "unrealistic" for a mafia boss to order killings and for mafia soldiers to commit them?

Tony's character was paranoid, selfish, violent and had problems with rage. You had tons of mobsters who were like that. It would actually be unrealistic if there was too little violence. He lead a small but deadly family with a lot of soldiers who were prepared to kill and did commit murders through series (Chris, Paulie, Sil, both Baccalieris, Gigi, Patsy, Benny, Walden, Eugene... Hell, almost everyone from the major characters, even Vito was doing hits) not to mention his connection with Naples. You can imagine him as some sort of modern day DeMeo in this regard.

This also explains why even that large NY family feared him and didn't want to try to discipline him until Phil became boss. They even called the NJ family to perform hits for them. Especially Lupertazzi was your typical modern day non-violent boss - with the example of him and his family the series actually showed us that violence of Soprano family is not the norm these days and that even big families are hesitant to use it.

The Commision appears to be de facto non-existant so there was no one to discipline the Sopranos and tell them what to do. That's why Tony got away with seeing a shrink and a number of other things and could pretty much do what he wanted on his territory. They still made a lot of money with him and that was the most important. Again, totally realistic.

You have a real life example of that Albanian gang (of pretty much the same size as fictional Sopranos) dissrespecting Gambinos and there was no retaliation.

Another thing you have to consider is that most of these murders were murders of low level associates (or not connected at all) who were probably under the radar and their murders couldn't be directly linked to top LCN guys, for example Brendan, Mustang Sally, those two guys working for Chris, Jackie jr. and his guys, all those civilians etc. I believe such murders happen in real life too, but we simply can't know about every LCN-related murder/commited by LCN member. Not that many made guys died.

I think through the show we can easily see that Tony is not a typical mob boss and his family is not a typical mafia family either, if we're comparing him and his guys to Lupertazzi family who resemble modern LCN more. Creators of Sopranos didn't want to present modern post 00s mob in documentary-like fashion but were presented us what could have happened in a modern mob environment with a bit different set of characters than actual NJ mobsters (but still in the realm of general character traits of mafiosi).

In terms of realism they did far better job than say Godfather IMO. It's unjust comparing Sopranos to Godfellas and Donnie Brasco because these two are based on real life stories. Out of fictional mob stories Sopranos are the most realistic.

I think you are misinterpreting. Im not talking about mob culture im talking about modern day mafia. Actually i think what i said was pretty accurate. Not just me but other mobsters like Michael Franzese said that the Sopranos wasnt accurate ike for example a boss going to the shrink

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull