GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (joepuzzles234, eastsideofvan, Turnbull, 1 invisible), 188 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,426
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,830
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,303
Posts1,058,276
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Newarke mayoral candidate tied to gang boss #756432
12/31/13 12:14 PM
12/31/13 12:14 PM
S
Scorsese Offline OP
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline OP
S
Underboss
Newark mayoral hopeful wrote letters on behalf of notorious city gang boss, records show

Print James Queally/The Star-Ledger By James Queally/The Star-Ledger
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on December 31, 2013 at 7:00 AM, updated December 31, 2013 at 7:28 AM

NEWARK — A councilman vying to replace Cory Booker as mayor of New Jersey’s largest city has written letters used in motions requesting leniency for one of Newark’s most notorious gang leaders, The Star-Ledger has learned.

South Ward Councilman Ras Baraka wrote the letters on behalf of convicted gang lord Al-Tariq Gumbs at his sentencing in 2010, the same year Gumbs was accused of plotting murders from a federal prison cell in Arizona, court papers obtained by the newspaper show.

That first letter was dated Nov. 10, 2010 — 10 months after Gumbs was indicted on the murder conspiracy charges. Baraka’s letter was filed in support of a motion to reduce Gumbs’ bail.

The second letter was used two years later in an effort to get Gumbs’ sentence reduced after he pleaded guilty to some of the conspiracy charges from 2010, according to copies of the letters and court transcripts obtained by the newspaper.

Gumbs’ attorney, Thomas Ambrosio, said the second letter was a plea for leniency.

"It was a general, ‘Hey, please be lenient on him and I think he’s turned his life around’ kind of letter," Ambrosio said.

In the first letter, Baraka said he believed Gumbs could be integral to resolving some of the gang disputes that often lead to shootings and homicides in the Brick City.

"Over the past few years I have had the opportunity to communicate with (Gumbs) through mail and have been personally impressed by his writing and passion to self correct and be an asset to our community," Baraka wrote.

Baraka, one of four candidates running in Newark’s 2014 mayoral race, said he did not know the letters would be used in a criminal proceeding, and he said he was unaware of the indictment filed against Gumbs less than a year before he penned the 2010 letter.

The councilman said he became familiar with Gumbs and other high-ranking gang members when he helped broker a truce between some of Newark’s largest rival gangs in 2004 as a deputy mayor under Sharpe James.

"All the kids in this city know the legend of ‘Killer Reek’ in the community," Baraka said, referring to Gumbs’ street name. "When you walk into a neighborhood and you say we’re trying to put together a truce, and Killer Reek is a part of this truce, that holds a whole hell of a lot of damn weight."

If elected, Baraka said, he would not shy away from writing similar letters. Newark will see its annual homicide total increase for the fourth straight year in 2013, and Baraka said it’s long past time to take a different approach to crime-fighting, even if that means working closely with the criminal community.

"If we really want to stop it, then it’s going to take a risk, a risk that we have to be brave enough and bold enough to take," he said. "If not, we could just sit around here and pass judgment on each other and let our kids die in the street, which is what we’re doing now."

Baraka — who will run against North Ward Councilman Anibal Ramos, former assistant attorney general Shavar Jeffries and Central Ward Councilman Darrin Sharif in the 2014 election — is a longtime community activist who has spoken out against street violence in the city for decades. In 2009, he helped found the Newark Anti-Violence Coalition, a group that holds protests and shuts down intersections nearly every week in the city.

FOSTERING COMMUNICATION

Part of Baraka’s public safety plan, dubbed "Project Chill," involves improved communication with gang members to stymie street disputes. The councilman has been touting his gang intervention plan all week, in the wake of a series of shootings that left several teenagers dead, including a 13-year-old girl who was killed by a stray bullet while taking out the trash on Christmas night.

Gumbs, 36, founded the powerful Brick City Brims set of the Bloods street gang while imprisoned in the late 1990s, according to the 2010 indictment filed by the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

His criminal record stretches back to 1998, when he was convicted of a drug offense, according to a spokeswoman for the state Department of Corrections.

It was a general, 'Hey, please be lenient on him and I think he's turned his life around' kind of letter.
In 2002, Gumbs was convicted of aggravated manslaughter, and he has remained in state or federal custody ever since, records show.

The councilman said he has written similar letters for other gang leaders who, like Gumbs, aided him in arranging the 2004 truce. The letters were not intended to help anyone avoid punishment for a crime, Baraka said.

"If they do a crime, they’re gonna be arrested and they should be. But I don’t think that should impede us from trying to continue to do the work that we’ve been doing in the community," Baraka said. "If somebody has helped us try to bring people together and they ask me to write a letter, then I will."

Baraka said he has never met Gumbs, though Gumbs’ son once attended Central High School, where Baraka was principal before taking a leave of absence to focus on his campaign.

The councilman also wrote a letter to a parole officer in 2010 on behalf of Corey Hamlet, whom police sources have previously described as a high-ranking member of the Grape Street Crips, Newark’s largest faction of the gang. The sources requested anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss Hamlet’s criminal history with the public.

HELPED ARRANGE TRUCE

In the letter, Baraka said he wanted to help Hamlet find employment after the man was released from prison on federal drug trafficking charges, according to a document obtained by The Star-Ledger.

Baraka said he met Hamlet in 2003 and that he was key in arranging the 2004 gang truce.

Hamlet, 36, pleaded guilty to multiple drug and weapons charges in separate cases in 1997 and 2000, according to records, and was convicted of distributing heroin and Ecstasy in a 2007 federal court case.

Hamlet also was charged with the 2005 murder of the son of a retired city police officer. He was found not guilty at trial in 2012, records show.

He has remained free since the 2012 trial.

While imprisoned in Arizona in 2008 and 2009, Gumbs allegedly helped control the Brick City Brims via a smuggled cell phone, according to that indictment. In those conversations, Gumbs allegedly did everything from direct drug trafficking to order murders.

"On or about Sept. 9, 2008, Altariq Gumbs sent … a letter ordering a member of the Fruit Town and Brick City Brims Set to be disciplined by other members of the Set; in that same letter, Altariq Gumbs ordered Set members to kill individuals in retaliation for their assault of a Set member," the indictment reads.

In February 2009, Gumbs allegedly discussed the killing of a Brims member who had "disrespected" him, according to the indictment.

In recent years, Gumbs has become more repentant about his past, according to his lawyer and his personal Facebook page.

While incarcerated, Gumbs wrote a book called "How To Keep Your Kids Away From Gangs," according to his website.

Ambrosio said that during his client’s 2012 sentencing, Gumbs asked to be incarcerated far from New Jersey so he could stop interacting with his gangland contacts.

Re: Newarke mayoral candidate tied to gang boss [Re: Scorsese] #756439
12/31/13 12:41 PM
12/31/13 12:41 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Ramos is going to win.
Shavar Jeffries is only running(and being funded) to split the Black vote...in fact SJ is being supported by the same people who are supporting Ramos.
Don't know if the thread title was what the Star Ledger ran with...but it's a bit misleading. Ras doesn't have any money ties with the gang guy.

thanks for the thread though.

City I grew up in and I hardly recognize it whenever I pass through there.* West coast gangs in Newark, NJ???????You couldn't pay me a million dollars to believe that it would ever happen growing up.

All the progress that occurred under Booker will stop regardless of who is elected though. Tdo

Re: Newarke mayoral candidate tied to gang boss [Re: Scorsese] #756443
12/31/13 12:46 PM
12/31/13 12:46 PM
New Jersey
Five_Felonies Offline
Underboss
Five_Felonies  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
newark, yet another shining example of the prosperity that ensues after decades of liberal policies, heh! wink

It's either blue cheese with wings or go fuck yer mudda!
Re: Newarke mayoral candidate tied to gang boss [Re: getthesenets] #756444
12/31/13 12:52 PM
12/31/13 12:52 PM
S
Scorsese Offline OP
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline OP
S
Underboss
sorry about the title couldn't fit the actual article title in. Thought it was interesting though. This particular gang actually has west coast ties from its original leader who is a member of the fruit town brims from los angeles but i think most gangs in that area east coast bloods that started in new york, don't know about the crips though. I wonder why everyone jumped on the bloods bandwagon instead of their east coast or neighbourhood affiliations. It must be for the name recognition. I think that 5 percenters were the biggest black gang inside the east coast prisons back before the bloods.

Re: Newarke mayoral candidate tied to gang boss [Re: Scorsese] #756452
12/31/13 01:15 PM
12/31/13 01:15 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
yeah Rikers Island is the hub of tri state gang activity and origins but one of the blood sets out here started in east orange,NJ

seen a few docs. and depending on who is telling the story....either the latin kings started first on rikers causing Blacks to join blood sets or bloods started first causing latinos to join kings

Scorcese, have you ever seen or heard of an old nyc gang doc. called "80 blocks from Tiffany's"? shot in either late 70s or pre crack era 1980s

trailer and full vid is on youtube

Re: Newarke mayoral candidate tied to gang boss [Re: getthesenets] #756453
12/31/13 01:20 PM
12/31/13 01:20 PM
S
Scorsese Offline OP
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline OP
S
Underboss
No I've not seen that ill give it a look, thanks.

What gangs did newarke used to have before the bloods and latin kings?

Im assuming there were localised drug kingpins and gangs like the supreme team in queens, i know that camden had gangs like the sons of malcolm x that were pretty bad.

Re: Newarke mayoral candidate tied to gang boss [Re: Scorsese] #756458
12/31/13 01:37 PM
12/31/13 01:37 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
I'm fortunate to have have been in the gang free generation...but the "Avenues" were a street gang that existed before I came of age. Yu heard whispers about them when I was young but they had died down by then.

People avoided getting beaten up, jumped or robbed by hinting that their older brother/uncle was in the Avenues .....NOBODY wanted problems with the Avenues.

Pre-crack era there were some offshoot Moslem groups that controlled drug trade in different parts of Newark....probably splinter 5% nation members just like you alluded to about east coast prisons.

but in my era....it was blocks...and projects that stuck together...Prince Street projects (where boxer Marvin Hagler is from) was probably the most feared area and group.

Re: Newarke mayoral candidate tied to gang boss [Re: Scorsese] #756466
12/31/13 02:17 PM
12/31/13 02:17 PM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline
T
Underboss
new jersey
There's no such thing as a gang free era

"McGurn likes you, so I make you. So you are now one of us, if you fuck up, we take it out on McGurn. He is your sponsor. Fuck up, it's his ass. You work in his crew, he is your capo."
Re: Newarke mayoral candidate tied to gang boss [Re: thebigfella] #756476
12/31/13 02:42 PM
12/31/13 02:42 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
yes there is and was

street gangs...in tri state metro nyc died out by early 1980s

the thing after that was the "crew"....small group of friends who grew up together,

no colors, no hierarchy, just loosely knit group of people who had some kind of bond or who got money together once crack came out

Re: Newarke mayoral candidate tied to gang boss [Re: Scorsese] #756557
12/31/13 11:51 PM
12/31/13 11:51 PM
In exile watching star wars an...
S
Skinny Offline
X
Skinny  Offline
X
S
Underboss
In exile watching star wars an...
Fuck booker was crooked as they come, how's this a surprise

Re: Newarke mayoral candidate tied to gang boss [Re: getthesenets] #756558
12/31/13 11:53 PM
12/31/13 11:53 PM
S
Scorsese Offline OP
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline OP
S
Underboss
thats interesting considering murder rates were at there highest during the crack epidemic.

would you say you preferred the "crew" system to the street gang?

Re: Newarke mayoral candidate tied to gang boss [Re: Scorsese] #756565
01/01/14 02:32 AM
01/01/14 02:32 AM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Well, first it needs to be said that while I enjoy films or shows about fictional gangsters..I detest criminals in real life especially people who engage in violent crimes.

Just thought that I could add something to the discussion since it's about city where I grew up.

To me, gang has a negative connotation...but a crew was just a group of guys....you and your five best friends from middle school were a crew...these are the guys you roll with, stand up for, fight for.

guys who were into crime...their entire crew was going to be into crime

this new gang shit with territory, colors, enemy gangs is just scary.

*and I forgot that prior to west coast street gangs in Newark, there was a criminal organization called the "Zoo Crew" which was pretty much a homegrown Newark area street gang. This was after my time though .

nytimes article about the organization

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/06/09/nyregi...-ring-case.html

Check youtube for trailer for feature film about them that has supposed to have been released for the past 2 years

Last edited by getthesenets; 01/01/14 02:52 AM.
Re: Newarke mayoral candidate tied to gang boss [Re: getthesenets] #763916
02/15/14 06:45 PM
02/15/14 06:45 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss

Re: Newarke mayoral candidate tied to gang boss [Re: Scorsese] #763919
02/15/14 06:56 PM
02/15/14 06:56 PM
N
NorthJeresyLife Offline