GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 58 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,168
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,388
Posts1,059,834
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Frying meatballs #756336
12/30/13 05:20 PM
12/30/13 05:20 PM
NJ
F
FrankMazola Offline OP
Underboss
FrankMazola  Offline OP
F
Underboss
NJ
My mom always baked and fried her meatballs. I'm a descent cook (no sauce from a jar from me) but I tried frying meatballs today and had an issue. Anyways, I followed the recipe she gave me. Browned the outsides of the raw meatballs, about the size of an ice cream scoop, then placed them in the sauce to cook. The recipe said to withdraw the meatballs from the sauce and set aside. Well about 75% of them stayed in tact (I had to be very delicate. Does anybody have any tips for keeping the rest of the meatballs from breaking apart?

F. Mazola, Esq.
Re: Frying meatballs [Re: FrankMazola] #756421
12/31/13 10:53 AM
12/31/13 10:53 AM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss
i like to soak old italian bread then drain it and add a little bread crumb

When Interpol?
Re: Frying meatballs [Re: FrankMazola] #756940
01/03/14 11:30 PM
01/03/14 11:30 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Just a guess, mind you, but it might have to do with the proportion of non-meat ingredients in the meatballs.

I used to fry them, then only put into the sauce the amount I intended to eat (or serve others) at that time. The rest I would drain on paper towels, let cool to room temperature, then either refrigerate or freeze the remainders.

Perhaps size also has something to do with it; I don't know. I used to make my meatballs around the size of golf balls. But I can't say I know for certain. These are just guesses.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Frying meatballs [Re: Signor Vitelli] #756966
01/04/14 05:08 AM
01/04/14 05:08 AM
All Over
NinoSconza Offline
ACTING BOSS
NinoSconza  Offline
ACTING BOSS
Made Member
All Over
Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
Just a guess, mind you, but it might have to do with the proportion of non-meat ingredients in the meatballs.

I used to fry them, then only put into the sauce the amount I intended to eat (or serve others) at that time. The rest I would drain on paper towels, let cool to room temperature, then either refrigerate or freeze the remainders.

Perhaps size also has something to do with it; I don't know. I used to make my meatballs around the size of golf balls. But I can't say I know for certain. These are just guesses.

Signor V.

Are you a chef Signor V ? I like big meatballs. Just one big meatball if I'm really hungry I'll eat two or three. They have big meatballs as appetizers at one of favorite local restaurants those small meatballs remind me of that store bought shit what's it called a "MAMA LUCA". My ex-wife wasn't italian and couldn't cook one night she made those thinking she was a good cook I threw them on the floor and she started to cry. She had some emotional problems.

The Sconza Crime Family

UNDISPUTED DEFACTO CARETAKER "BOSS" - SKINNY !!!
ACTING BOSS: NINO SCONZA (Awaiting Trial)
UNDERBOSS : Alfonse "Madbull" Capuzzi
Consigliere: Dellocroce
Street Boss: CHEECH (Supervised Release)
CAPO Joe "Search Function" Schmouzzi
Solider : Nino Sconza Jr.
Florida Faction
Capo Dr. PB (BOCA)
Associate: Jose LNU
SICILIAN FACTION
BOSS: CARMELA "Gravy"
UNDERBOSS: SALVATORE "SNAKES" RUSSO
Associates: A few guys from Harlem they ain't Italian but they get money!!!!

" Skinny he's a stand up guy". A man's man". They don't make guys like skinny no more."
Re: Frying meatballs [Re: FrankMazola] #757006
01/04/14 12:45 PM
01/04/14 12:45 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: FrankMazola
My mom always baked and fried her meatballs. I'm a descent cook (no sauce from a jar from me) but I tried frying meatballs today and had an issue. Anyways, I followed the recipe she gave me. Browned the outsides of the raw meatballs, about the size of an ice cream scoop, then placed them in the sauce to cook. The recipe said to withdraw the meatballs from the sauce and set aside. Well about 75% of them stayed in tact (I had to be very delicate. Does anybody have any tips for keeping the rest of the meatballs from breaking apart?

If they're falling apart on you, then you're not putting enough binder in. Try one more egg and a little more breadcrumbs. If the ratio is correct they shouldn't fall apart on you.

There are quite a few grandmas from Italy who don't even fry the meatballs first. My grandmother on my Calabrese side just dropped them into the sauce raw and poached them, and they NEVER broke apart. It's tricky, but you'll never get a more tender meatball.

I'm kinda torn on that method, though. Because half the fun of meatballs on a Sunday morning is eating a couple of fried ones while the sauce is cooking. I remember when I was kid. I grew up in an extremely Catholic/Italian-American neighborhood. We used to fast from midnight on Saturday until after Communion on Sunday morning. My brother and I used to RUN home from Mount Carmel to get a couple of fried meatballs because we were so hungry! smile

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Frying meatballs [Re: FrankMazola] #757050
01/04/14 08:14 PM
01/04/14 08:14 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
The best part of Sunday mornings was walking home from church past the bakeries and stopping to buy danish for breakfast and Italian bread for "dinner", which was always in the afternoon.

I still fry my meatballs, but I know people who bake them. I agree with PB, though, yours are falling apart because they may not have enough bread or egg. Sometimes you can just add milk instead of another egg. I also add a little bit of the oil from the pan to my gravy.

If you like a sweet gravy, brown a chicken leg and throw that in as well.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Frying meatballs [Re: FrankMazola] #757066
01/05/14 12:46 AM
01/05/14 12:46 AM
Chicagoland
SgWaue86 Offline
Capo
SgWaue86  Offline
Capo
Chicagoland
I brown mine in a frying pan and bake em off in the sause, it took more a few times to get them just right but its the way I remember my grandma cooking them. I prefer them that way but fried or baked off raw in the sause is fantastic too.

Re: Frying meatballs [Re: SgWaue86] #757270
01/06/14 01:37 PM
01/06/14 01:37 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
I use ground veal, eggs, uncooked oatmeal and seasoning, rol 'em up into balls, and bake them until they are golden brown, then put them into the tomato sauce.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull