GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 307 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,925
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,827
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bufalino is underrated #756194
12/29/13 10:37 PM
12/29/13 10:37 PM
Jenkins Offline OP
Made Member
Jenkins  Offline OP
Made Member
...according to the book I'm reading "The Quiet Don" by Matt Birkbeck. The book is just average because a good bit of it is just rehashed government documents and also some garbage about a Pennsylvania corruption case in the 2000's. But the parts devoted to Bufalino are pretty fascinating. A few things I learned...

Bufalino was a protege of Stefano Magaddino in Buffalo and got his start there.

In the mid 1970's Bufalino controlled three mafia families at once. His own family in PA, the Buffalo family, and Genovese family in NYC.

Jimmy Hoffa would have been dead a few years earlier if not for Bufalino who blocked his murder for a couple years.

Take it for what it's worth, but it made for a decent read.

Re: Bufalino is underrated [Re: Jenkins] #756195
12/29/13 11:07 PM
12/29/13 11:07 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Russell Bufalino is underrated. He was a member of the Buffalo family. He was a protégé to John Montana, Stefano Magaddino and Joseph Barbara. Bufalino controlled two families, his own and temporary the Buffalo crime family for a few months. He never controlled the Genovese crime family. He was one of the few bosses against Jimmy Hoffa being killed, which the matter finally rested with the commission.

He did have joint operations with Buffalo, Bonanno, Cleveland, Decavalcante, Philadelphia, and Pittsburg crime families. These connections made him and his crime family very rich with gambling and loansharking. He was very skilled with labor racketing as well. His family's infiltration of union's with the help of other crime families help consolidate his position as boss.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Bufalino is underrated [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #756197
12/29/13 11:27 PM
12/29/13 11:27 PM
Jenkins Offline OP
Made Member
Jenkins  Offline OP
Made Member
According to the book, when Tommy Eboli was killed in '72 Bufalino stepped in and ran the Genovese family for a time. It doesn't tell how long so it could have been two weeks for all I know. Not saying the book is gospel, just letting you know what the book said.

Re: Bufalino is underrated [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #756235
12/30/13 11:14 AM
12/30/13 11:14 AM
Cook County
T
TheArm Offline
BANNED
TheArm  Offline
BANNED
T
Underboss
Cook County
Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
Russell Bufalino is underrated. He was a member of the Buffalo family. He was a protégé to John Montana, Stefano Magaddino and Joseph Barbara. Bufalino controlled two families, his own and temporary the Buffalo crime family for a few months. He never controlled the Genovese crime family. He was one of the few bosses against Jimmy Hoffa being killed, which the matter finally rested with the commission.

He did have joint operations with Buffalo, Bonanno, Cleveland, Decavalcante, Philadelphia, and Pittsburg crime families. These connections made him and his crime family very rich with gambling and loansharking. He was very skilled with labor racketing as well. His family's infiltration of union's with the help of other crime families help consolidate his position as boss.

Be careful when you say he "contolled" the Buffalo family for a time. He was invited through his associations with Joe Falcone and Tony Bentro to come in and try to control some of the chaos in the 70s, but he never controled the family, and in fact, overstayed his weklcome in eastern and southern Upstate NY, which resulted in conflict and took a sitdown between D'elia, Tedaro representing each family with Tony Salarno to settle it. It was supposed to be moderated by Tony Ducks but he declined saying "I don't care who runs those cow towns"

Last edited by TheArm; 12/30/13 11:17 AM.
Re: Bufalino is underrated [Re: Jenkins] #756341
12/30/13 06:14 PM
12/30/13 06:14 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Thank you for clearing that up TA. I was wondering about that due to the Buffalo factions at each others throats at the time. I thought Bufalino left cause of a feud between D'elia and Todaro Sr.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Bufalino is underrated [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #756435
12/31/13 12:27 PM
12/31/13 12:27 PM
Cook County
T
TheArm Offline
BANNED
TheArm  Offline
BANNED
T
Underboss
Cook County
Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
Thank you for clearing that up TA. I was wondering about that due to the Buffalo factions at each others throats at the time. I thought Bufalino left cause of a feud between D'elia and Todaro Sr.

No problem GV, this was the bad time for the eastern part of Buffalo territory. The family was still reeling from 12 years of internal war, and both Scranton/Pittston and the Colombos had designs on the real estate east of Monroe county.As I said it took a body count and a commission sit down to settle it, and because of the heat it brought down, a lot of good people, including myself, ended up as guests of the federal and NY state prison system.

Been there and done it
I am very much for real, so if you ask, make sure you really want to know.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull